Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky Mackay Facing International Dilemma!

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:35 pm

CARDIFF CITY boss Malky Mackay is facing a major international dilemma ahead of his Bluebirds’ first game of the new Championship season.

Cardiff’s opening league clash at home to Huddersfield has been brought forward to Friday, August 17 to accommodate television coverage.

But just two days before, a raft of international fixtures could see as many as 10 Cardiff players forced to travel to play for their countries.

With the friendly games going ahead on the Wednesday, key Cardiff players like Aron Gunnarsson, Kenny Miller and Don Cowie could find themselves risking injury ahead of the Bluebirds’ opening fixture and having to return to training just a day before the big clash with the Terriers.

It will cause a major disruption to Mackay’s preparations as he tries to get his second Championship season in the Welsh capital off to a winning start.

Those Bluebirds personnel on international duty will already have missed Cardiff’s opening competitive match of the campaign in the first round of the Capital One Cup at Northampton on Tuesday, August 14.

They will need to have joined up with their countries by the Sunday or Monday.

The Bluebirds have experienced then-Carling Cup problems in their last two seasons.

Two years ago former manager Dave Jones feared he would have to field an outfield player in goal when David Marshall was away with Scotland and there were fears Tom Heaton’s loan spell might not be registered in time.

Heaton though did eventually play in that first-round clash Burton Albion.

And last season Mackay lost a number of players to international commitments and fielded a clutch of youngsters for the first round clash at Oxford which Cardiff won before going on to make the final at Wembley.

But it will be his side’s first league outing against Huddersfield this year which will be Mackay’s main concern.

The clash, to be broadcast by Sky on the Friday evening, will be significant in many ways.

On the pitch it will be the first time the Bluebirds will wear their new red home kit which has been introduced in controversial fashion by the club’s Malaysian backers.

Protests from those opposed to the change are expected on the night.

So Mackay and his men will be desperate to ensure there is at least some good news, although those hopes could be hindered by international call-ups.

Scotland’s home clash with Australia on the Wednesday is sure to see striker Kenny Miller, goalkeeper Marshall and midfielder Cowie all called up to Craig Levein’s squad, with Kevin McNaughton and Craig Conway possibilities.

Aron Gunnarsson will be with his native Iceland as they entertain the Faroe Islands.

Meanwhile, Wales are hosting Bosnia-Herzogovia at Llanelli’s Parc y Scarlets with Darcy Blake and Robert Earnshaw likely to receive a call.

Filip Kiss could also find himself getting a call-up by the senior Slovakian squad as they travel to face Denmark.

And, in a similar situation, after their exit from Euro 2012, Republic of Ireland boss, Giovanni Trapattoni, might be tempted to look to the future by moving frontman Joe Mason up from the Under-21s for his side’s trip to Serbia.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -31276677/

Re: Malky Mackay Facing International Dilemma!

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Havn't read the whole post. But Hudders have a few internationals. Jordan Rhodes is always in the Scotland side and now Scannell for Ireland

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Ridiculous state of affairs playing International friendlies in the middle of the first week of the new league season! :x

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:44 pm

CantonJack wrote:Havn't read the whole post. But Hudders have a few internationals. Jordan Rhodes is always in the Scotland side and now Scannell for Ireland

Rhodes usually warms the bench for 60 odd minutes I believe, with our Kenny keeping him out of the side and I can't recall Scannell getting much game time for Ireland, but I may be mistaken! :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Just posted this, didn't realise you done it first though.

Mods delete the thread in this link please viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84958&p=814562#p814562 :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:46 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:Just posted this, didn't realise you done it first though.

Mods delete the thread in this link please viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84958&p=814562#p814562 :ayatollah:

No probs mate, i just noticed that Annis posted the Bellamy story a minute before me! :) :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 am

What a f*cking joke

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 am

It's obvious Kenny and Cowie (possibly Marshall) will be in the Scotland squad and Aron for Iceland. Just hope Mason doesn't get called up. Obviously I will be happy if he gets into the squad as he deserves it, but I don't want him travelling to Serbia 2 days before our first league game

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:58 am

Pretty stupid having the international fixtures on these dates.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Malkay should do what Alex ferguson did most times to Wales when we wanted Giggs to play for us (usually at critical games), say out boys are carrying a niggling injury and that way they dont go.

Not the right attitude i know, but f**k it! I'm selfish, just thinking about Cardiff City.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Why do you post links when nobody's online?

And they're WalesOnline links :lol:

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Why do you post links when nobody's online?

Does it matter when the links are posted, as people will read them when they do go online?

As you've seen the post and taken the trouble to make another stupid comment, only proves to backs up my point!

I don't know if you think otherwise, but I have no control on when Walesonline or other media outlets make their reports available to read online, so when I see something that concerns Cardiff City or something I think may be of interest, I post the links!

As it happens, Annis has asked me to post any online links to Cardiff City reports and there were several posters online when I posted the link!

Annis posted another Walesonline link around the same time, he's posted another couple today as well, so if you don't think their reports are worthwhile, then bring it up with Annis, one of the mods or don't click on them!

Can somebody please upload a middle finger smiley?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Overthemoon wrote:

Does it matter when the links are posted, as people will read them when they do go online?

As you've seen the post and taken the trouble to make another stupid comment, only proves to backs up my point!

I don't know if you think otherwise, but I have no control on when Walesonline or other media outlets make their reports available to read online, so when I see something that concerns Cardiff City or something I think may be of interest, I post the links!

As it happens, Annis has asked me to post any online links to Cardiff City reports and there were several posters online when I posted the link!

Annis posted another Walesonline link around the same time, he's posted another couple today as well, so if you don't think their reports are worthwhile, then bring it up with Annis, one of the mods or don't click on them!

It does, actually. Every time you post a thread like this (at roughly 1am), not many actually comment on them. And me commenting on this post doesn't prove your point. I just thought I'd make you aware of it as it always happens :lol:

Annis has asked you personally? Wow. Very important now, aren't we? And 'several posters'? Yeah OK, about 5 :lol:

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

It does, actually. Every time you post a thread like this (at roughly 1am), not many actually comment on them. And me commenting on this post doesn't prove your point. I just thought I'd make you aware of it as it always happens :lol:

Annis has asked you personally? Wow. Very important now, aren't we? And 'several posters'? Yeah OK, about 5 :lol:

Wasn't making out that I was important troll, just that Id'd been asked to post links!

I'll ask again though, does it really matter what time links are posted or whether they get repeated later in the morning, when there are more people online?

If it's so important, then you'd better start a thread on it, as Annis and many other people post the Walesonline links at that time of the morning, so get a life butty!