Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If I was Malaysian......

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 am

......and I wanted to follow a premier league team I think that a team that has my country's name splashed all over the front of their shirt would swing it for me.Maybe there is some method Tan's madness.

Re: If I was Malaysian......

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:36 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:......and I wanted to follow a premier league team I think that a team that has my country's name splashed all over the front of their shirt would swing it for me.Maybe there is some method Tan's madness.

1) it is already splashed all over the front of the current blue shirt

2) how big is the potential Malaysian market and what money would they put in by "following" us in any case?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am

since62 wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:......and I wanted to follow a premier league team I think that a team that has my country's name splashed all over the front of their shirt would swing it for me.Maybe there is some method Tan's madness.

2) how big is the potential Malaysian market and what money would they put in by "following" us in any case?

Its more to it than that as i said on another thread earlier i believe its about Betting which may become legal over there soon, television etc

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 am

since62 wrote:

Yes but hows about a team in red and in the prem.

Massive compared to the Welsh and shirt sales and TV rights on Tans telly station would generate a bob or two.Look at it another way if get to the prem how many shirts etc.would we sell in England,Scotland,Italy or Brazil.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:01 am

I certainly believe that VT has a plan, which isn't dependent on shirt sales in Malaysia, but hasn't QPR got Malaysia on their red away shirts as well?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:15 pm

But you are forgetting that we are not in the premier league. I think if I saw a football shirt with a dragon on it that was supposed to be associated with Wales then I would be more likely to think it was something to do with Swansea as they are the only premier welsh club at present. So there is certainly no method in Tans madness as you claim and we are left with just madness.:ayatollah:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:19 pm

since62 wrote:

I rem Keith, u asked that question to our club at the meeting and they could not answer it.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 pm

jinks-rct wrote:
since62 wrote:

Its more to it than that as i said on another thread earlier i believe its about Betting which may become legal over there soon, television etc

As I said in another post , how would the betting income come to CCFC?It goes to the betting company (owned by VT)not us.

And TV rights in the League/Premier are negotiated centrally with each club getting an equal share for the division they are in. So no rights could be sold seperately by CCFC to VT`s TV company.

So how would either betting or Malaysian TV rights be of financial benefit to CCFC ?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
since62 wrote:

Massive compared to the Welsh and shirt sales and TV rights on Tans telly station would generate a bob or two.Look at it another way if get to the prem how many shirts etc.would we sell in England,Scotland,Italy or Brazil.

And what difference to a team in blue and in the Premier?

The Malaysian football market is not that great and is dominated by the really big clubs like Man Utd , Liverpool , Real Madrid etc. If the likes of Tottenham (and even Chelsea) can`t break into that market , what the hell chance would we have?

And VT`s TV company will generate nothing at all for us as we are not allowed to have a seperate TV deal - it is a collective deal done by all clubs.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm

since62 wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
since62 wrote:

The Malaysian football market is not that great and is dominated by the really big clubs like Man Utd , Liverpool , Real Madrid etc. If the likes of Tottenham (and even Chelsea) can`t break into that market , what the hell chance would we have?

And VT`s TV company will generate nothing at all for us as we are not allowed to have a seperate TV deal - it is a collective deal done by all clubs.

Its not aimed soley at malaysia far from it. It's more about China and gaining further invesment and a larger fan base

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:20 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
since62 wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
since62 wrote:

Its not aimed soley at malaysia far from it. It's more about China and gaining further invesment and a larger fan base

But what income would such a fanbase generate for CCFC?

The biggest worldwide (not just Far East) shirt sales are by Real Madrid and Man Utd who sell between 1.2m and 1.5m each according to the latest available stats. And Man Utd reckon they make less than £1 per fan from such sales each year.

So even if we got to 10% of the figures enjoyed by those globally reknowned clubs (which seems highly unlikely) , we would only generate £150k a year (the owner of the retail company would earn more of course).

Gaining further investment from whom and in exchange for what? Stadium sponsorship perhaps (if Langston paid off first to relinquish their current right to the money) or extra shirt sponsorship (would anyone pay more than VT`s current £300k deal?)