Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" £2 Mill for Craig Bellamy? "

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Media Wales 25 June 2012

Cardiff City could land Liverpool FC striker Craig Bellamy for cut-price £2m deal

Read more: Is this the smile that suggests Craig Bellamy would be keen on move back to Cardiff City
CARDIFF CITY could bring Craig Bellamy home for a cut-price £2m.
As reported in yesterday's Echo, the 32-year old Wales international is being again linked with a return to his home-town club where he spent a season on loan back in 2010 when at Manchester City.
Wales international Bellamy believes he has unfinished business with the Bluebirds and was anxious to stay in the Welsh capital last summer before former club Liverpool offered him a two-year deal.
With a year of that left, reports on Merseyside suggest Liverpool would be looking for a maximum of £2m for a player they picked up on a free transfer.
A loan move back to Cardiff could be an option, but appears unlikely.
But with former Swansea City boss Brendan Rodgers in charge at Anfield now, Bellamy is set for talks to determine just what his role on Merseyside might be next campaign.
The striker was dissatisfied under former Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish. He made 37 appearances for the Reds, but only 12 Premier League starts.
As Rodgers looks to improve on Liverpool's eighth place finish last term what role Bellamy might have in his plans remains unclear.
'It was a strange season. I think I only started three games at Anfield so got to watch a lot of games, which wasn't great for me,' said Bellamy.
'But I can have a very, very good assessment of the team because I didn't play, so was watching as a fan. There were so many games we should have won and deserved to have won.
'Up to Christmas was brilliant for me and January and February was great. I was really aware of what the club was about.'
Ironically enough, back in February 2011, Bellamy scored a fabulous goal to give Cardiff the win in the south Wales derby at Swansea's Liberty Stadium when Rodgers was in charge.
But Bellamy believes Rodgers is the right man to take Liverpool forward.
'First of all, he is a very good guy, a very, very good guy,' added Bellamy.
'What he has done at Swansea is nothing short of remarkable.
'He knows he's coming into one of the most remarkable football clubs in the world but it is a chance he deserves. I feel if he can approach this job in the way he did at Swansea then it will be a match made in heaven.'

Re: " £2 Mill for Craig Bellamy? "

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 pm

I can't see MM wanting to pay 2m for a 32 year old with injury problems. A minimal 500k maybe

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 pm

This link is from yesterday,it comes from a Liverpool fans forum -

Championship side considering to bid for Liverpool striker
24/06/20121 Comment

Craig Bellamy could be set for a return to home-town club Cardiff City as the Bluebirds consider a bid for the Liverpool and Wales striker.

The Championship club are understood to be working out the finances to re-sign the 32-year-old who captained Cardiff during a season long loan spell.

Bellamy signed for Liverpool on a two-year deal from Manchester City in 2011.

Cardiff hope to discuss a proposed deal with Liverpool before any talks take place with Bellamy.

The Welsh club's Malaysian owners recently announced a £100m investment plan as Cardiff, who have suffered three successive play-off disappointments, bid for Premier League promotion.

A condition of the financial injection from owner Tan Sri Vincent Tan and chairman Dato Chan Tien Ghee, which includes funds for player recruitment, is the controversial move of changing Cardiff's shirt colour from blue to red in the hope it could expand the club's appeal in "international markets."

Sections of the Cardiff support are upset at the shirt colour change but a signing of Bellamy's profile and stature would help quell any fan discontent.

Bellamy, whose family home is on the outskirts of Cardiff, scored 11 goals in 35 games for Cardiff during his loan spell at the Cardiff City Stadium in the 2010/2011 season.

The Cardiff-born forward, who has scored 19 goals in 69 Welsh internationals is a former Norwich City team-mate of Cardiff boss Malky Mackay.

In fact, Mackay made a last-ditch bid to sign Bellamy permanently for Cardiff in August 2011 before the player joined Liverpool.

Mackay is also is close friends with new Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers and Bellamy is a fan of Rodgers' style of football - but has often spoken of his desire to inspire boyhood club Cardiff into the Premier League.

The Bluebirds have already signed England under-21 international midfielder Jordon Mutch and former England under-21 goalkeeper Joe Lewis this summer.

http://www.liverpoolfcfanscorner.com/1/ ... riker.html

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:36 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:This link is from yesterday,it comes from a Liverpool fans forum -

Championship side considering to bid for Liverpool striker
24/06/20121 Comment

Craig Bellamy could be set for a return to home-town club Cardiff City as the Bluebirds consider a bid for the Liverpool and Wales striker.

The Championship club are understood to be working out the finances to re-sign the 32-year-old who captained Cardiff during a season long loan spell.

Bellamy signed for Liverpool on a two-year deal from Manchester City in 2011.

Cardiff hope to discuss a proposed deal with Liverpool before any talks take place with Bellamy.

The Welsh club's Malaysian owners recently announced a £100m investment plan as Cardiff, who have suffered three successive play-off disappointments, bid for Premier League promotion.

A condition of the financial injection from owner Tan Sri Vincent Tan and chairman Dato Chan Tien Ghee, which includes funds for player recruitment, is the controversial move of changing Cardiff's shirt colour from blue to red in the hope it could expand the club's appeal in "international markets."

Sections of the Cardiff support are upset at the shirt colour change but a signing of Bellamy's profile and stature would help quell any fan discontent.
Bellamy, whose family home is on the outskirts of Cardiff, scored 11 goals in 35 games for Cardiff during his loan spell at the Cardiff City Stadium in the 2010/2011 season.

The Cardiff-born forward, who has scored 19 goals in 69 Welsh internationals is a former Norwich City team-mate of Cardiff boss Malky Mackay.

In fact, Mackay made a last-ditch bid to sign Bellamy permanently for Cardiff in August 2011 before the player joined Liverpool.

Mackay is also is close friends with new Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers and Bellamy is a fan of Rodgers' style of football - but has often spoken of his desire to inspire boyhood club Cardiff into the Premier League.

The Bluebirds have already signed England under-21 international midfielder Jordon Mutch and former England under-21 goalkeeper Joe Lewis this summer.

http://www.liverpoolfcfanscorner.com/1/ ... riker.html

:old: Said that in another thread

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:36 pm

Whats his injurys been like at liverpool?

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:40 pm

jinks-rct wrote:Whats his injurys been like at liverpool?

Did not have much time for injurys...due to a lack of starts at Liverpool.I remember Bellers making a point of saying this in the last few days....time to find that link ;)

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:49 pm

What about the fact Craig was signed as an ambassador for warrior there new kit sponsor, the money of which I think he gave to charity?... Might it cause a stumbling block for him to move down a league?

Here:
http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/w ... 38395.html

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 pm

Here are Bellers stats from last season and before...last season started just 18 times in 4 different competitions -

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... r_id=10692

Started almost twice as much for us the season before :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:08 am

I think the 2 mill would be spent more wisely on players proven at this level who are younger and will be able to play more games such as Matt Phillips or Craig noone

Don't get me wrong Bellamy is a class act when fit and on form but a 2 mill price tag and approx 30k a week in wages for a player who may only be able to play about half the games is a big gamble which I personally wouldn't take

But I will still support malkys decision as he will be a better judge whether Bellamy would be worth the gamble or not :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:08 am

I hope this isn't a signing to keep the red brigade happy because as you all know we need at least 4 or 5 bigger than him to even make 0.001% of the blue brigade to even flinch never mind come around to this ridiculous red lying strategy....... :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:12 am

dazzyt wrote:I hope this isn't a signing to keep the red brigade happy because as you all know we need at least 4 or 5 bigger than him to even make 0.001% of the blue brigade to even flinch never mind come around to this ridiculous red lying strategy....... :ayatollah:

I doubt MM is trying to please anyone.
If you think we are able to sign players bigger than Bellamy your off your trolly.
While I understand the pro blues as I'm of the same opinion the constant sniping of everything the club does is hugely embarrassing and cringe worthy. In the end I believe it's tuning more people red in my option.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:17 am

dazzyt wrote:I hope this isn't a signing to keep the red brigade happy because as you all know we need at least 4 or 5 bigger than him to even make 0.001% of the blue brigade to even flinch never mind come around to this ridiculous red lying strategy....... :ayatollah:

I cant speak for all the keep it blue but i think lots of fans will warm to the idea or just tolerate playing in red etc if we are top 3 with a few good signings.
I also believe the pro red are in the minority and the majority of supporters are not red or blue..

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:18 am

jinks-rct wrote:

I cant speak for all the keep it blue but i think lots of fans will warm to the idea or just tolerate playing in red etc if we are top 3 with a few good signings.
I also believe the pro blue are in the minority and the majority of supporters are not red or blue..

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:02 am

I think if we can get bellers back here , he is like getting 2 new players in one. with Mutch and bellers (if we can get him ) in the side we now need another up front in your face striker and we will be well on our way to be getting a top quality team.
COME ON CRDIFF DO YOUR BEST TO BRING BELLERS HOME :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18588547

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:05 am

You can look at this both ways. 2Million will never ever get you a player as good as Bellers. On The other hand he only got 1 or 2 seasons left. It's a gamble if you ask me and one I would take. We have been crying out for a pacy winger, Whos better for the money?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:09 am

Until Liverpool sign some potential replacements I cant see the deal happening.

Perhaps it'll happen on deadline day once the Team GB stuff is out the way and Liverpool have signed some new blood.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:22 am

Not worth it. Too injury prone. Money could be better spent elsewhere. Last time round, it never really worked. Might suit his domestic arrangements, but not the team. Move on.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 am

llangainbluebird wrote:Not worth it. Too injury prone. Money could be better spent elsewhere. Last time round, it never really worked. Might suit his domestic arrangements, but not the team. Move on.

At £2m he is a great buy for two years. Compare with the £7m Southampton paid for 3 years of Jay Rodrigues who is unproven at the highest level I'd say Bellamy is an absolute steal.

The injury prone comment is absolute bollocks. He played 35 games for us despite turning up injured with his personal fitness advisor stating Man City had miss managed his knee condition. Once he was fit he hardly missed a game until his hamstring went in the play-off semi.

Last season he was available for selection virtually all season, just wasn't used by Dalglish :roll:

If you're going to make accusations get some facts to back them up :roll:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Not bollox at all, Bellamy's dodgy knee is well documented. He can manage it, and yes, he did play a lot of games at the end of his season with the City. But he has a dodgy knee. He said himself that it was difficult to play two games a week. Bobby Robson said that as well, when Bellamy was at Newcastle. If my memory serves me right, Dutch Ray is Bellamy's personal physio/trainer, and can probably get the best out of him. But Liverpool used Bellamy sparingly last season. Perhaps we could too, but there are a lot of weeks where its Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday in the Championship. Knowing what our fans are like, pressure would be on for him to play in all of them. The chopping and changing did not help last time.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 pm

what about his wage demands though?
say we pay bellers 40k a week even,you could realistically get 3 quality championship operators for that amount
Id be delighted if he came but also not devestated if he didnt,i certainly wouldnt tear into malky or the malaysians which will likely happen on the messageboards

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:23 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Not bollox at all, Bellamy's dodgy knee is well documented. He can manage it, and yes, he did play a lot of games at the end of his season with the City. But he has a dodgy knee. He said himself that it was difficult to play two games a week. Bobby Robson said that as well, when Bellamy was at Newcastle. If my memory serves me right, Dutch Ray is Bellamy's personal physio/trainer, and can probably get the best out of him. But Liverpool used Bellamy sparingly last season. Perhaps we could too, but there are a lot of weeks where its Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday in the Championship. Knowing what our fans are like, pressure would be on for him to play in all of them. The chopping and changing did not help last time.

I didn't say it was bollocks. I said that Man City mis-managed the treatment. Once our team got it under control he hardly missed a game :ayatollah:

It does need managing but 35 games is a pretty good haul and he can (and has) play two games in a week at a push.

You described him as injury prone. He isn't: he has a condition that needs careful managing and is not a player who misses games on a regular basis. Therefore the debate really is about whether we can afford £2m plus wages for a top quality attacking player as injuries are not a major factor .................. I know what my answer is :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:03 pm

:ayatollah: