Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Anyone been to Mauritius

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:44 am

I am off to Mauritius in October for my daughters wedding, the resort is the Shandriani spar and resort, it looks great, as anyone been there? it would be great to know and get feed back, cheers :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Re: Anyone been to Mauritius

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:06 pm

I've been mate. It's quite a strange place. You've got the resorts predominantly in the north around the coast with luxury everywhere you look. Yet the drive from airport will be a real eye opener. It's without doubt the poorest place I have been and it's full of shanty towns. There was a warning not to go outside the resort after dark as it's very dangerous to do so.

That said, we had a fabulous time. The people who worked in the resort where I went were absolutely superb. The cannot do enough for you and they are really friendly with it. I change a few hundred quid when I was over there, just in case, but didn't spend anything because it was all inclusive. I gave it as tips to the 2 fellas who looked after us and they were absolutley overjoyed. I hate to think what they earn.

The flight down there was stunning as well as you get to see lots of Africa and Madagascar from above.

Have a good time. :ayatollah:

Re: Anyone been to Mauritius

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi LLangynwyd Blue, I have been a Cardiff City fan for many years and have been viewing messages on this board for a number of years now but have never registered until today having read the response given from Howey1927. I have lived in Cardiff all my life however I am half Mauritian having a Mauritian father. I just want to set the record straight that Mauritius is not full of shanty towns as Howey1927 puts it. The country is a developed and the majority of people live in full brick / concrete houses, they do no live in huts like they did 100 years back. Some of the roads are different to ours but you should expect that going to a different country and alot of the side streets are narrow. They do have very few shanty towns which was highlighted a few weeks back on a program shown on BBC. Of course the hotel areas are going to be the nicest as they were developed to attract tourists.

I don't know where Howey1927 heard that warning, I've been over many times and stayed with family. I have walked the streets during the night with family and never seen any problems, I can't guarantee things wont happen but you couldn't guarantee the same thing walking through Cardiff at night either.

My favourite beach up north is pereybere, I would recommend the visit if you get time. Two other trips I would recommend is the catamaran where you get taken to smaller islands and spend some time in pure paradise. Also most have an all inclusive alcohol option which is never a bad thing if you like a drink. The second trip I would recommend is going to ile aux cerfs this is a small island of Mauritius where you can spend all day relaxing or taking part in one of the many water sports. If you google the name ile aux cerfs you can see the wonderful pictures of this island.

Food and drink are also very cheap in Mauritius and the people are the friendliest in the world. Any other information you would like I will be happy to help. You will have a great time.