Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" PREMIER LEAGUE AMBITIONS "

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:05 am

Cardiff City new boy Jordan Mutch reveals Premier League ambitions
Jun 25 2012

Cardiff City signing Jordan Mutch
NEW signing Jordon Mutch has joined Cardiff City because he believes, from experience, Malky Mackay can develop his Premier League potential.

Mutch, 20, had a taste of Premier football with Birmingham, making his debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford, and is an England Under-21 international midfielder tipped for a big future.

City were able to snap up Mutch in a bargain £2m transfer thanks to Birmingham’s financial woes and once the fee was agreed he jumped at the chance to come here.

Mutch played under manager Mackay during a loan spell at Watford and said: “I changed completely as a player during that time, thanks to the manager and his staff.

“I played more than 20 first-team matches in a row and really enjoyed it.

“Those six months were the most enjoyable of my career at that stage because I was playing first-team football.

“It was a time when I grew as a player, became stronger physically and matured. The improvement in every area of my game during that time was fantastic and that gave me such confidence.

“That experience played a big part in my decision to sign for Cardiff. I believe the manager can help me progress again and develop into a footballer capable of playing regularly at Premier level.

“Every footballer wants to play at the top level and, from what I have seen, Cardiff are a club with everything needed to make the step up.

“Clearly, there is huge ambition here and the aim is the Premier League.

“Cardiff have regularly challenged at the top end of the Championship and showed again last season what they are capable of. The stadium is top class, while I’ve been to the Vale of Glamorgan Resort to see the training facilities and that looks a good place to work.

“I’ve also been told about the new training ground which is to be built and in so many ways this football club is a Premier League one in waiting.

“That’s why I am here and it’s up to the players to earn the results we need.”

Mackay is delighted to have got his man and said: “Jordon is a talented player, a top player with great potential for a big career which we hope to see him fulfil with us here at Cardiff City.”

Mackay has the financial backing to strengthen his squad considerably further and Mutch said: “I’ve read about the Malaysian investment in Cardiff City and I’m sure there will be more new signings.”

The arrival of Mutch follows the strong line Mackay takes on many of his new signings. He is a talented young midfielder who Mackay knows will be a good influence in and around the first-team squad.

Mutch has a range of passing which enables him to play deep in midfield or get forward to link up with the strikers and wide men.

Youth team coach Terry Westley, who worked with Mutch as a youngster for five years at Derby and over the last few years with Birmingham City, has no doubts about his protege’s potential, saying: “I’ve known Jordon a fair time and have no doubt he has the ingredients to be a top player.

“Technically he is decent, mentally he is extremely tough and he’s the right size and shape.

“Jordon played Championship football for Doncaster on loan and then joined Watford. They put him straight in the team and he played every minute of every game, scoring seven goals in 27 starts.

“That spell was crucial, giving him the day-to-day match experiences of trying to win games. He learned the discipline of first-team football, about his role within the team and also the nasty side of the business.”

Mutch has the energy, stamina and technique to play a box-to-box role for Cardiff, while he is looking to step up the attacking side of his game.

“I like to get forward and one of my targets is to score more goals,” he says. “But I also get a lot of pleasure if I have an assist when my team scores – and a fair few came from my corners for Birmingham last season.”

Mutch is looking for a new home in the Cardiff area and will move to South Wales a few days before pre-season training starts on July 11. A few days on, the Bluebirds squad fly out for a week’s training at the Uefa headquarters in Switzerland.

“That’s going to be a new experience and I can’t wait,” says Mutch. “I know Don Cowie and Andrew Taylor from my time at Watford, as well as the manager and some of his backroom staff.

“Right at this moment I can’t wait to get started.”

Mutch spent a hectic day in Cardiff on Friday and signed quickly once the two clubs had agreed on a fee. He then drove straight back to Derby to start planning for a Bluebirds future.

By the time he arrives back in South Wales next month there are likely to be a couple more new signings joining the group heading for their Swiss pre-season training camp.

Mackay knows the players he wants and will patiently track them as he looks to build a new squad for 2012-13 which has the extra strength in depth that was missing last time out.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1ymZ2lxt6

Re: " PREMIER LEAGUE AMBITIONS "

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:09 am

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: