Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BRITISH football is light years behind.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:55 pm

Until someone comes in to change the whole approach of the BRITISH style :oops: of playing football.......then NONE of the home nations will progress into/or win a major final. It has taken Barcelona and Real Madrid years to play with style which has been carried on to the National stage by the Spanish team. :? England are (theoretically) the best of British.....and are a million miles away from winning a major tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: BRITISH football is light years behind.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Not enough technical players in british football

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:02 pm

This is very true, and has been clearly seen throughout this tournament and tonight in particular.

For me, England and Ireland both looked poor, and clearly couldn't keep possession. If England nad been in Ireland's group, they'd have been out before the quarter finals as well - in fact, Ireland were much better against Italy than England were - I know they lost in 90 minutes, but they looked to be more in the game for me.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:03 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:Not enough technical players in british football

And if there was they would have it 'beaten' out of them by our coaches. When did wingers stop attacking and worrying full backs for 90 minutes? :roll: :oops:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:05 pm

skybluebird wrote:

And if there was they would have it 'beaten' out of them by our coaches. When did wingers stop attacking and worrying full backs for 90 minutes? :roll: :oops:

Did they even play with wingers tonight? I swear young spent most of his time in field same as milner

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:05 pm

Die Walkure wrote:This is very true, and has been clearly seen throughout this tournament and tonight in particular.

For me, England and Ireland both looked poor, and clearly couldn't keep possession. If England nad been in Ireland's group, they'd have been out before the quarter finals as well - in fact, Ireland were much better against Italy than England were - I know they lost in 90 minutes, but they looked to be more in the game for me.

Come on FFS, Ireland better than England...? :lol:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:08 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
skybluebird wrote:

Did they even play with wingers tonight? I swear young spent most of his time in field same as milner

That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Why bring a big target man on and deny him crosses from wide out? :?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:10 pm

skybluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
skybluebird wrote:

That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Why bring a big target man on and deny him crosses from wide out? :?

Didnt matter anyway every header Carrol made went nowhere an Engerland shirt

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Angry Man wrote:

name one english beer, thats better than Guinness... ;) :occasion5:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
skybluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
skybluebird wrote:

Don't understand your logic. What I meant was if the wingers went to the goalline and put crosses over....then PERHAPS Caroll might have had a chance of heading the bloody ball towards the goals. MORE CHANCE OF HITTING THE TARGET maybe???? :roll:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Hofmeister wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

Hofmeister????? :?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:16 pm

Angry Man wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:This is very true, and has been clearly seen throughout this tournament and tonight in particular.

For me, England and Ireland both looked poor, and clearly couldn't keep possession. If England had been in Ireland's group, they'd have been out before the quarter finals as well - in fact, Ireland were much better against Italy than England were - I know they lost in 90 minutes, but they looked to be more in the game for me.

Did you actually watch the Italy-Ireland game????

I did, and I'm purely commenting on that one game, where Ireland played quite well.

I think if England had had to play Croatia, Spain and Italy, they would not have got out of their group.

I'm not saying Ireland are better generally - they're both about the same I think when it comes to playing against the big boys -don't get enough possession - rely on being organised defensively and can only so far in these big tournaments.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Its the same with most british sports! Over here we have that "good losers" mentality, instead of having that win at all cost real sore losers mentality! We look at diving as cheating. Yet the germans, italians, spanish etc look at it as winning a freekick or winning a penalty. They don't see it as morally wrong. They see it as doing there duty to give there team an edge over there opponents. You won't win any competion by being totally honest. You have to bend the rules sometimes in order to gain an advantage. Another problem is that talent like messi would have been overlooked in this country because he would have been deemed to small and scrawny, all we look for over here is big strong bruisers who can win a tackle and barge people out of the way, which is not that important in the modern game. Being able to read the game, make the simple pass, take a player on and being comfortable in possession is what wins you games

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

For me, England and Ireland both looked poor, and clearly couldn't keep possession. If England had been in Ireland's group, they'd have been out before the quarter finals as well - in fact, Ireland were much better against Italy than England were - I know they lost in 90 minutes, but they looked to be more in the game for me.

I did, and I'm purely commenting on that one game, where Ireland played quite well.

I think if England had had to play Croatia, Spain and Italy, they would not have got out of their group.

I'm not saying Ireland are better generally - they're both about the same I think when it comes to playing against the big boys -don't get enough possession - rely on being organised defensively and can only so far in these big tournaments.

What highlighted the problem with the English game was the commentator practically begging for England to hold out until the end of extra time to at least have a chance of penalties!! That said to me that they would have been delighted to say that at least England got to the semi's. No reference at all to the Piss poor performance from the team/manager. :oops:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:24 pm

skybluebird wrote:
Hofmeister wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

Hofmeister????? :?

whot?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 pm

To many oversea players and badly run Academys are the problem.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:52 pm

skybluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
skybluebird wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
skybluebird wrote:

Don't understand your logic. What I meant was if the wingers went to the goalline and put crosses over....then PERHAPS Caroll might have had a chance of heading the bloody ball towards the goals. MORE CHANCE OF HITTING THE TARGET maybe???? :roll:

No i understand what you were getting at I was just stating that he was useless at heading

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:15 am

Too many foreign players post is exactly the cause of the Home Nations downfall

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 pm

46yrsblue wrote:Too many foreign players post is exactly the cause of the Home Nations downfall

This combined with too much money in the premiership. That's what attracts the foreign players to the UK. During the 80s and 90s it was the exact opposite with the British players going to Spain and Italy for mega wages.

Technically we are light years behind the Spanish, German and Italians. Only option they could do to improve the situation is to put a cap on players wages....might force clubs to use more home grown players and particularly academy players.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 pm

With more belief Wales should have won at Wembley.

Who are we comparing ourselves against ? The rest of the world ? lets compare ourselves against Russia, or all the Scandinavian countries, England do OK then.

I agree about the academies too many small skilful players get left behind for the big lad who can hoof it.

Football in England has changed, when I was a kid only the Jocks ever qualified for tournaments, so I expect with a young talented manager who has balls, England could do well, but there is the problem, look who they hired. 1980's football from a talented manager in the 80's. England are scared to pick a "TEAM" they only pick from the established uber clubs- (How is Jorden Henderson there ?).

Box to box, big engines, hard tackling, strong, gutsy are terms from a bygone era. I am glad we have a young talented manager who understands this.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:58 pm

Swansea City have been playing this way for 5 years, I feel sorry for Brendan Rodgers trying to sort out Liverpool, they were also light years behind us, last season

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Stan_B wrote:
46yrsblue wrote:Too many foreign players post is exactly the cause of the Home Nations downfall

This combined with too much money in the premiership. That's what attracts the foreign players to the UK. During the 80s and 90s it was the exact opposite with the British players going to Spain and Italy for mega wages.

Technically we are light years behind the Spanish, German and Italians. Only option they could do to improve the situation is to put a cap on players wages....might force clubs to use more home grown players and particularly academy players.

What benefited the home nations was that there was a cap on how many johnny foerigners a team could have in the starting 11.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

A one off game. When Leeds were top of the Premiership they come to Ninian Park and lost so going on that theory are you saying City would have beaten most teams in the premeirship because they done better against Leeds than them..?

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

Did Greece win the 2004 Euros by playing fantastic flowing football then..?

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Angry Man wrote:
Stan_B wrote:

What benefited the home nations was that there was a cap on how many johnny foerigners a team could have in the starting 11.

What is a foreigner ? Are Bale, Ramsey or Kenny Miller foreigners ?

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Birchgrove wrote:Swansea City have been playing this way for 5 years, I feel sorry for Brendan Rodgers trying to sort out Liverpool, they were also light years behind us, last season

Below I have listed all the national and international competitions won over the said five years.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:15 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
Stan_B wrote:

What is a foreigner ? Are Bale, Ramsey or Kenny Miller foreigners ?

Not in the then Football League they weren't only in European competition but for most of that time English teams were banned from Europe anyway. The agruement always was that seperate home nation citizens were still British passport holders.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Englands biggest problem is that because they apparently invented the game they think the rest of the world are supposed to copy the way they play football. There way is the proper way and be dammed if "England" are going to adapt there game to suit other styles of play. There to stubborn to send coaches over to the continent to places like germany, spain, holland etc and copy the way they structure there setup from childrens academy's to youth setups and so on. England are to stubborn for there own good and don't want to admit that the way they do things is way outdated compared to the top football nations.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

Ireland play to their strengths. They know they cannot compete technically so they
pack men behind the ball and live off scraps. Hoping to hit teams on the break

Wales would do the same against the better nations.

England fall into a simple trap. Because other teams let them play, they do the same.
Its because they think they are better than they are. They suddenly find themselves
chasing shadows (pirlo, they couldnt get near him and he isnt even fast)

This is NOT knocking Englands players. Its their media, and this over-rated Premier
League. They are built up to be superstars. They arent