Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

'Great' Britain

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:26 pm

What makes it so? I would rather be accurate and call it 'Good' Britain or 'Average' Britain. We have a decent standard of living, but no better than most Western countries. I believe we were truly 'great' in 1945 and in fairness we are still great at war, but do we still deserve the title? We have decent education and health systems, but nowhere near the best in the world. So why the title? Please discuss

Re: 'Great' Britain

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:27 pm

4 pager without a doubt :lol: :lol: ...

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:30 pm

The "GREAT" in great britain has long been lost.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Because it is the largest of the British Isles.

(I have to say I despair of the history and geography teaching in this country.)

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Because it is the largest of the British Isles.

(I have to say I despair of the history and geography teaching in this country.)

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:36 pm

It's centuries old (15th century I think). They're hardly going to demote it to 'Mediocre Britain' now are they? Saying that, the tabloids seem intent on promoting the use of 'Broken Britain'.

Anyway, we have punched above our weight so to speak for centuries, we had an empire! AN EMPIRE :lol:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:44 pm

OhhhGa wrote:It's centuries old (15th century I think). They're hardly going to demote it to 'Mediocre Britain' now are they? Saying that, the tabloids seem intent on promoting the use of 'Broken Britain'.

Anyway, we have punched above our weight so to speak for centuries, we had an empire! AN EMPIRE :lol:

I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying once: 'We have fish fingers and drizzle, but it did give us the largest empire the world has ever seen as a result' :lol:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:It's centuries old (15th century I think). They're hardly going to demote it to 'Mediocre Britain' now are they? Saying that, the tabloids seem intent on promoting the use of 'Broken Britain'.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying once: 'We have fish fingers and drizzle, but it did give us the largest empire the world has ever seen as a result' :lol:

not to forget:

- "London"
- "London?"
- "London"
- "London?"
- "Yes, London! You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f*cking Poppins... LONDON!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:39 pm

Hate to be a smart arse but the real reason its called 'great' britain was in times long gone by not to confuse it with brittany (france) as it was 'greater' in size!! Sounds bonkers but true!!

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 pm

It's Great because it's got Cardiff ;)