Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How to get a bigger fan base/Simple ?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:35 pm

" Get Promoted " :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
The best way to get a bigger fan base is to just get to the Premier League and be in the Top 6/8 for the next 10 years, all this stripping of our identity to make us look like a Malaysian/Chinese club, is honestly a Disgrace to my club and I promise u this if we dont go up, our fan base will have actually decreased in my opinion, Foreigners are only interested in Premier League Clubs(well 99% of them). While we are a Championship club the only fans interested in us are the South Wales based ones.
And also the financial gain from Premier League football is what gets a club rich, a club would have to be top 4 of the Premier League and win the Champions League to conquer the markets from around the world.

Re: How to get a bigger fan base/Simple ?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:48 pm

shut up. Boring.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:58 pm

brilliantbluebirds09 wrote:shut up. Boring.

The truth tends to be boring. Doesn't make it anymore untrue though.

You don't have to read it though, and if you do read it you don't need to make yourself look like a ballbag with a playground answer.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:02 pm

not telling us something we didnt already know???? trouble is how do we do it??? get premier and stay there that is???
perhaps that is a better point to make? :roll:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:" Get Promoted " :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
The best way to get a bigger fan base is to just get to the Premier League and be in the Top 6/8 for the next 10 years, all this stripping of our identity to make us look like a Malaysian/Chinese club, is honestly a Disgrace to my club and I promise u this if we dont go up, our fan base will have actually decreased in my opinion, Foreigners are only interested in Premier League Clubs(well 99% of them). While we are a Championship club the only fans interested in us are the South Wales based ones.

Nail, Head.

Asian fans want to be entertained and support winning teams. Just like we go to the cinema to watch good movies.

1. We don't play attractive, good to watch football, partly because we haven't got the players to do it.
2. We're in the Championship.
3. We've never won anything.

Those are just 3 reasons why the rebrand is flawed. Why the hell would anyone in Asia care about us, when Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City all play fast, free flowing, exciting football at the highest level?

It's crazy and anyone that buys into the rebrand on the premise that it'll be good for business, is deluded.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:06 pm

All very true except for the bit about it being a disgrace.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 pm

12thMan wrote:

Nail, Head.

Asian fans want to be entertained and support winning teams. Just like we go to the cinema to watch good movies.

1. We don't play attractive, good to watch football, partly because we haven't got the players to do it.

Those are just 3 reasons why the rebrand is flawed. Why the hell would anyone in Asia care about us, when Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City all play fast, free flowing, exciting football at the highest level?

It's crazy and anyone that buys into the rebrand on the premise that it'll be good for business, is deluded.

what you are saying basically is? vt is waisting his time and money on us thats cool! but has anyone told him hes waisting his money on a champ side!!

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:13 pm

The rebranding farce wasn't an attempt to increase the club's fan base, so this is quite irrelevant.

However, it's easy enough for any fan to suggest that the best way to gain fininacial stability, more support, or higher interest from investors is to be successful. However this isn't a helpful remark at all. The foundations must be set in place to achieve this, which is what the Malaysians (putting the rebranding aside) are actually trying to do.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:13 pm

12thMan wrote:

Nail, Head.

:o

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:19 pm

I ask u all to read sludges post :(

After the heartbreaking loss for gwyn and his family, lets leave the insignificance of red and blue alone for a day or two

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:20 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:I ask u all to read sludges post :(

After the heartbreaking loss for gwyn and his family, lets leave the insignificance of red and blue alone for a day or two

lips sealed for thew days as from now!!!

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:22 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
12thMan wrote:

Nail, Head.

To be fair mate, if you were a 16 / 17 year old kid in Malaysian, looking to support a football club, would you care that a team won the FA Cup in 1927, when the 4 biggest clubs in the UK win the same trophy regularly...

The club keep harping on about being realistic and that Cardiff City needs to be run as a business, so lets be realistic. It's going to take a long time and a hell of a lot more money invested than £100 million, before anyone in asian will actually care who we are.

We can't even stop kids in South Wales supporting the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool, what hope have we got of doing it in the far east?

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:25 pm

I think, just by getting into the premierleague and staying there would generate a lot of interest from other parts of the world. Especially if we were in that league the same time swansea are. I believe the south wales derby in the prem would become a big attraction on its own, and the more years both us and swansea were a fixture in that league the more interest it would generate, and with that comes the bigger fanbase. Its a unique rivalry! To welsh teams in the top english league with a mad history of hating eachother, it would only boost both our clubs profile no end

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:29 pm

12thMan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
12thMan wrote:

Nail, Head.

To be fair mate, if you were a 16 / 17 year old kid in Malaysian, looking to support a football club, would you care that a team won the FA Cup in 1927, when the 4 biggest clubs in the UK win the same trophy regularly...

The club keep harping on about being realistic and that Cardiff City needs to be run as a business, so lets be realistic. It's going to take a long time and a hell of a lot more money invested than £100 million, before anyone in asian will actually care who we are.

We can't even stop kids in South Wales supporting the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool, what hope have we got of doing it in the far east?

It doesnt matter, you cant say the Red is wiping out our history and then write off our greatest moment in our history.
I dont really care who supports us in asia though tbh

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:I think, just by getting into the premierleague and staying there would generate a lot of interest from other parts of the world. Especially if we were in that league the same time swansea are. I believe the south wales derby in the prem would become a big attraction on its own, and the more years both us and swansea were a fixture in that league the more interest it would generate, and with that comes the bigger fanbase. Its a unique rivalry! To welsh teams in the top english league with a mad history of hating eachother, it would only boost both our clubs profile no end

I think you could be right mate. Building an occasion and pantomime out of the derby would be great for business in different countries as it is entertaining and unlike anything else in the world.

I remember a few seasons back, BBC Wales done a documentary on the rivalry, just before a derby game and it was a great watch.

We need more of that type of thing.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:33 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
12thMan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
12thMan wrote:

Nail, Head.

It doesnt matter, you cant say the Red is wiping out our history and then write off our greatest moment in our history.
I dont really care who supports us in asia though tbh

I'm not writing anything off mate, I'm proud of what we did in 1927. All I meant is that no one in asia will care that we won a trophy 90 years ago, which is sadly true.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:47 pm

And also the financial gain from Premier League football is what gets a club rich, a club would have to be top 4 of the Premier League and win the Champions League to conquer the markets from around the world.

Not today please Annis. I mistakenly got sucked into responding to a blue/red post on the other board and then I saw Sludge's plea on here.

He is quite right today is not the day.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Maybe they wont but im sure they would have been impressed with the Cup runs - although they ultimately ended without trophys im sure it would have been seen in a positive light. TBH Ive always thought it was more about sponsorship than making new fans or selling shirts.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:20 pm

brilliantbluebirds10 wrote:
PtB wrote:

You don't have to read it though, and if you do read it you don't need to make yourself look like a ballbag with a playground answer.

He's said this about a billion times in the last 3 weeks though, whats the point?! Its not constructive, it does nothing. This board is getting ridiculous.

The board is nothing like that, that's a tedious answer and there is little if any truth in it whatsoever. I've had numerous disagreements with many on here but we dicuss it like adults and move on. Annis has made valid points, wether they have been said before shouldn't really matter? Both sides of the argument are repetitive. Still nobody has come up with any real reason to change the badge and colours. All it has done is divide supporters. It's what, 7 weeks(?) since all this came out and what has changed to benefit the future of the club?

All these grand plans that have been in place for so long and yet no movement appears to be made other than a couple of signings. Until we've signed 5 or 6, then it's of no note - every team will bring in a few bodies to replace those who have left.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:00 am

reducing ticket prices increases your attendences, therefore more money is spend on food and drinks and merchandise etc

works in other countries...

Luedenscheid-Nord (D*rtmund)

Schalke

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:09 am

I agree with Annis on this one, you may thinks it's a tired argument but consider the millions of people not just in Asia but in North America......The EPL is catching on like wild fire over here. The Euro Cup is a hot topic on ESPN....That would have never have even got 2 seconds on the television here, 10 years ago., but it won't last forever. There is a small window of opprotunity here to make thousands of new fans as the interest grows. When the public interest in the EPL wains most of those new fans will not go away. New fans= revenue. Myself, I've spent probably $200 in the Club Shop just in the last year.

If the club gets promoted I predict there will be a huge North American following, there are hundreds of thousands of Americans and Canadians who trace their roots back to Wales like me. Most of them will choose to stand with Cardiff the capitol of Wales when deciding on which trendy EPL team to pick.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:25 am

One day we'll get there and one day we'll change back to blue. There is no doubt about that.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:21 am

It is a sad fact of life but this country is bancrupt, and the Welsh with the exception of a few who are very wealthy, like Sir Terry Mathews don't see football worthy enough to invest their hard earned cash, so until we have an alternative to the Malasians, we should be greatfull that they are bankrolling us to keep us afloat, and I don't care where they come from, I might be proved wrong in the coming years, who knows they may leave us in a mess just like Sam did, just guess we must all sit back and enjoy the ride for now, as the other alternative is administration and that don't bare thinking about.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:35 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:I ask u all to read sludges post :(

Well said

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Agree with this but an even simpler way to get a bigger fan base would be to reverse the re-branding and go back to Blue. :lol:

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:52 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:

Agree with this but an even simpler way to get a bigger fan base would be to reverse the re-branding and go back to Blue. :lol:

:lol:
I think its the first time we have ever agreed. :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Same old keep City Blue tripe.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:52 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:Same old keep City Blue tripe.

How's it tripe wanting to keep our traditions? I still can't see any reason for the change. All it's done is divide opinions and alienate some fans. :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:09 pm

PtB wrote:

I totally agree to what ptb says just incase it gets taken the wrong way :|