Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay tips

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:24 am

Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay tips old friend Brendan Rodgers to make big impact at Liverpool FC
Jun 24 2012

CARDIFF CITY boss Malky Mackay insists his great friend Brendan Rodgers will revel in the pressure at Liverpool.

Rodgers quit the top job at Swansea City recently to take up the reigns at Anfield following the departure of Kenny Daglish.

At the age of just 39, the Northern Irishman finds himself in one of the most high profile posts in British football.

But Mackay, who is himself preparing for his second season in charge in the Welsh capital, believes Rodgers is ready for the challenge and more than equipped to make a success of things on Merseyside.

Mackay has been good friends with Rodgers since they were at Watford together.

After finishing his playing days with the Hornets, Mackay found himself caretaker manager at Vicarage Road after Aidy Boothroyd departed.

In November 2008 Rodgers was appointed Watford boss and kept Mackay on as his number two.

When Rodgers departed for an ill-fated spell at Reading he recommended Mackay as his successor in the Hornets’ hot-seat handing the Scot his big break in football management.

Last summer Mackay joined Rodgers in Wales, but the Bluebirds’ boss admits he is thrilled to see his friend move onwards and upwards.

“I’m absolutely delighted for Brendan. I’ve spoken to him regularly over the last couple of weeks.” said 40-year-old Mackay.

“He showed what he could do in the Premier League last season and now a club of higher standing has come in for him whilst his stock is high.

“He did a fantastic job at Swansea, that’s been well documented and it’s a very smart move by Liverpool.

“People might say he is young, but when you look at his reputation, at what he’s done then it is a move he has more than earned.”

Rodgers faces the task now of living up to the expectations of Liverpool and its supporters.

Anfield-legend Daglish was shown the door after Liverpool finished eighth last campaign and Rodgers’ Reds will at least be expected to be challenging for a Champions League place this time around.

But Mackay believes Rodgers is strong minded enough to cope with the expectations.

“There’s not many clubs where there is more pressure than Liverpool,” said Mackay.

“But if you have ambition, which most managers do, and you want to play and manage at highest level then it's something you revel in.

“Brendan is the type who knows exactly what he wants to do when he goes in. He is a very focussed person.

“I’ve worked for him and he has a really good work ethic about him. He knows the way he wants to work and way he wants players to play.

“He will go in at Liverpool with exactly same work ethic and he will structure the club the way he wants it, I’ve no doubts that he will walk in and affect Liverpool from the start. Brendan will certainly not be overawed in the slightest that much is for certain.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1yhHWwUha

Re: Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay tips

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:29 am

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay tips old friend Brendan Rodgers to make big impact at Liverpool FC
Jun 24 2012

CARDIFF CITY boss Malky Mackay insists his great friend Brendan Rodgers will revel in the pressure at Liverpool.

Rodgers quit the top job at Swansea City recently to take up the reigns at Anfield following the departure of Kenny Daglish.

At the age of just 39, the Northern Irishman finds himself in one of the most high profile posts in British football.

But Mackay, who is himself preparing for his second season in charge in the Welsh capital, believes Rodgers is ready for the challenge and more than equipped to make a success of things on Merseyside.

After finishing his playing days with the Hornets, Mackay found himself caretaker manager at Vicarage Road after Aidy Boothroyd departed.

In November 2008 Rodgers was appointed Watford boss and kept Mackay on as his number two.

When Rodgers departed for an ill-fated spell at Reading he recommended Mackay as his successor in the Hornets’ hot-seat handing the Scot his big break in football management.

Last summer Mackay joined Rodgers in Wales, but the Bluebirds’ boss admits he is thrilled to see his friend move onwards and upwards.

“I’m absolutely delighted for Brendan. I’ve spoken to him regularly over the last couple of weeks.” said 40-year-old Mackay.

“He showed what he could do in the Premier League last season and now a club of higher standing has come in for him whilst his stock is high.

“He did a fantastic job at Swansea, that’s been well documented and it’s a very smart move by Liverpool.

“People might say he is young, but when you look at his reputation, at what he’s done then it is a move he has more than earned.”

Rodgers faces the task now of living up to the expectations of Liverpool and its supporters.

Anfield-legend Daglish was shown the door after Liverpool finished eighth last campaign and Rodgers’ Reds will at least be expected to be challenging for a Champions League place this time around.

But Mackay believes Rodgers is strong minded enough to cope with the expectations.

“There’s not many clubs where there is more pressure than Liverpool,” said Mackay.

“But if you have ambition, which most managers do, and you want to play and manage at highest level then it's something you revel in.

“Brendan is the type who knows exactly what he wants to do when he goes in. He is a very focussed person.

“I’ve worked for him and he has a really good work ethic about him. He knows the way he wants to work and way he wants players to play.

“He will go in at Liverpool with exactly same work ethic and he will structure the club the way he wants it, I’ve no doubts that he will walk in and affect Liverpool from the start. Brendan will certainly not be overawed in the slightest that much is for certain.”

with them being such good friends, you would imagine Malky knows exactly where he stands with Bellamy, and whether they'd be willing to let him come to us! That is if Malky is even planning on going for him of course, which hopefully he is :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 am

I'd asked to borrow Rahim Sterling as well!!

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:36 am

Plus possibility of other loan sigings from them

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:54 am

Merlin wrote:I'd asked to borrow Rahim Sterling as well!!

Sterling would be great for us

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:49 am

You reckon we can borrow Stevey G for a few months? ;)

Anthony would help out with that!

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay tips old friend Brendan Rodgers to make big impact at Liverpool FC
Jun 24 2012

What a newspaper report doesn't show you is if Malky was keeping a straight face when he said it!!!

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Would liked jonjo shelvey onloan but with signing of mutch doubt b no point lol i forgot the defender name they signed from rangers ? Maybe he e a good loan option

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:43 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Plus possibility of other loan sigings from them

Good point.