Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Would Rangers' problems help bring a welcome return to....

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:03 am

Neil Alexander..? :ayatollah:

By far the best keeper I've seen down here for many a year :ayatollah:

Re: Would Rangers' problems help bring a welcome return to....

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:10 am

Marshall far better imho.

He was a decent shot stopper, but that was about it. :|

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:27 am

SBF1 wrote:Marshall far better imho.

Marshall is awful on crosses and I felt Alexander commended his area far better than any other keeper we've had since.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:21 am

Angry Man wrote:

Marshall is awful on crosses and I felt Alexander commended his area far better than any other keeper we've had since.

Alexander is a decent keeper but 1 on 1s he was terrible. No idea what do wether to stay or go in the area. Marshall is far better IMO?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:31 am

"For many a year" :lol:

Youve only been following City for 4 years ffs :roll:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:38 am

Neil Alexzander was a real good keeper and IMO better than Marshall one if the best keepers I've seen at cardiff

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Angry Man wrote:

Your comment now proves to me that you either don,t know nothing about football or you don,t watch Cardiff City because alexander was useless at crosses, it,s also one of the reasons why he can,t get anywhere near the first elleven at Rangers!!!

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:36 pm

if Marshall is bad at crosses, what was Alexander? That was the reason my Tony Warner was brought in, as Alexander was hopeless in that area. Brilliant shotstopper tho...

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Hofmeister wrote:if Marshall is bad at crosses, what was Alexander? That was the reason my Tony Warner was brought in, as Alexander was hopeless in that area. Brilliant shotstopper tho...

Thought Warner (who was poor btw) was brought in because Alexander was leaving us! :? :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:46 pm

We used to call Alexander Dracula because he was scared of crosses! His shot stopping was overrated as well, he made lots of good saves, but he also let a lot of soft ones in which people seem to forget about. Only one penalty was ever missed against Alexander and that's because their player hit the bar, but they still scored from the rebound! If Andy Campbell didn't score in the playoff final, it's literally guaranteed we would have lost on penalties, unless some of the QPR players missed the target. Alexander wasn't going to save any of them anyway! The FAW premier cup final at The Racecourse against Wrexham must rank as one of the worst goalkeeping performances I've ever seen from a Cardiff goalkeeper, and no I'm not being harsh! Marshall has his faults but I would choose Marshall over Alexander every time. Still wish we kept Heaton who imo was our best keeper mind. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:51 pm

We don't need another keeper.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:59 pm

I though the best keeper we had down here was Casper Schmeical and we let him slip through the net.

But the great Alexander v Marshall debate is I think they have pros and cons in both camps. I think Marshall is a better keeper. Besides Neil Alexander didn't play at the level with us that Marshall has done.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:We used to call Alexander Dracula because he was scared of crosses! His shot stopping was overrated as well, he made lots of good saves, but he also let a lot of soft ones in which people seem to forget about. Only one penalty was ever missed against Alexander and that's because their player hit the bar, but they still scored from the rebound! If Andy Campbell didn't score in the playoff final, it's literally guaranteed we would have lost on penalties, unless some of the QPR players missed the target. Alexander wasn't going to save any of them anyway!

no, we had fewer english players playing for us then, therefore we'd won it... :lol:

haha yeah the Dracula, forgotten that one... :lol:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
Hofmeister wrote:if Marshall is bad at crosses, what was Alexander? That was the reason my Tony Warner was brought in, as Alexander was hopeless in that area. Brilliant shotstopper tho...

Thought Warner (who was poor btw) was brought in because Alexander was leaving us! :? :ayatollah:

nope, Warner came on a free to put pressure on Alexander and he gained the No 1 shirt. Overall I wasnt satisfied with Warner, althogh I though our support never gave him a chance. When at Millwall, Warner was very impressive imo.

I liked Alexander as a person, really nice chap with a Celtic supporting wife (himself being a Hearts man). Hope he finally plays for a decent club again... :ayatollah:

Where's George Wood these days? Anyone...

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:52 pm

I belive we got a better keeper in Marshall, But i will take Steven Davis and Steven Naismith off their hands :D

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Ive never understood the massive fascination with Alexander, yes he was a decent keeper but hardly a world beater.
He was a very good shot stopper ( certainly no better than Marshall) and I would say his ability on crosses and commanding his area was at best only equal to Marshall (Although Id probably say Alexander was weaker).

We have two first team keepers on 3 year contracts aged 24 & 27 both excellent ages for keepers and people want Alexander back who is 34 and has played 26 games in 4 years. The mind boggles why anyone would want to add to the wage bill to have another keeper in any case and thats before we consider Parish.