Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Division four??

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Just asking who would be prepared to go back to those days, at the expence of what we have now?? 4,000 home crowds, or 23,000 home crowds,?? im torn tbh. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Division four??

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:15 pm

supercoops wrote:Just asking who would be prepared to go back to those days, at the expence of what we have now?? 4,000 home crowds, or 23,000 home crowds,?? im torn tbh. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

while i enjoyed growing up with city and getting hooked at the time. i personally would not want to be going to places like rochdale on a tues night etc.. again... i think the championship is a quality league and theres only a couple of teams in it who havnt been in the premiership.. 20-30k crowds, better pitches and stadiums.. ok we have lost the banter and atmospheres, but ill take where we are today over where we were when i started following city in 92-93..

:ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
supercoops wrote:Just asking who would be prepared to go back to those days, at the expence of what we have now?? 4,000 home crowds, or 23,000 home crowds,?? im torn tbh. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

while i enjoyed growing up with city and getting hooked at the time. i personally would not want to be going to places like rochdale on a tues night etc.. again... i think the championship is a quality league and theres only a couple of teams in it who havnt been in the premiership.. 20-30k crowds, better pitches and stadiums.. ok we have lost the banter and atmospheres, but ill take where we are today over where we were when i started following city in 92-93..

Very good reply, thanks. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:22 pm

supercoops wrote:

Very good reply, thanks. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

it was a good question to be fair... you could really enjoy yourself back then, the buzz was always present, but even that could in my opinion not compete with a cup final against liverpool... and us being lucky to have had a player like bellamy gracing our shirt..

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:23 pm

I would take that in a heartbeat over what we have now. I much prefer going to the smaller grounds anyway, closer to the pitch, better atmosphere, can have more banter with the players etc. I remember Exeter away in our first league game of the season under Sam Hammam, there was a little brick wall seperating us from behind the goal and the pitch. The ball went out for a goal kick and a City fan lobbed a pie at the Exeter keeper when he went to get the ball, he then turned around a blew a kiss to all the City fans. Then Paul Brayson scored and a City fan jumped on the brick wall celebrating, fell off and broke his ankle. He got stretchered away to an ambulance and he was still doing the ayatollah on the stretcher! I had some great days out back then and dare I say it was a lot more fun being a City fan back then than it is now going to all these new, modernised stadiums and being miles away from the pitch with very little atmosphere.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I would take that in a heartbeat over what we have now. I much prefer going to the smaller grounds anyway, closer to the pitch, better atmosphere, can have more banter with the players etc. I remember Exeter away in our first league game of the season under Sam Hammam, there was a little brick wall seperating us from behind the goal and the pitch. The ball went out for a goal kick and a City fan lobbed a pie at the Exeter keeper when he went to get the ball, he then turned around a blew a kiss to all the City fans. Then Paul Brayson scored and a City fan jumped on the brick wall celebrating, fell off and broke his ankle. He got stretchered away to an ambulance and he was still doing the ayatollah on the stretcher! I had some great days out back then and dare I say it was a lot more fun being a City fan back then than it is now going to all these new, modernised stadiums and being miles away from the pitch with very little atmosphere.

i totally agree on fun factor alone, but i dont think div 4 now (league 2) would be like that anymore.. i think to get the laugh like that again it would have to be non league...

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

With you butty. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

i totally agree on fun factor alone, but i dont think div 4 now (league 2) would be like that anymore.. i think to get the laugh like that again it would have to be non league...

You're probably correct as more safety restrictions have been thrown in and even some of the smaller clubs are now playing in all seater stadiums. But as you say it was the fun factor, I had some really enjoyable trips in the lower leagues, it was affordable with cheaper prices and some of the grounds were small old stadiums but had character. I am also one of those who loves visiting different grounds, I will be going to Forest Green as that will be another ground for me to cross off the list. The Championship for me is starting to get boring now as I have been to every ground in our division apart from Blackburn and Bolton, so it would be nice for me to have a new trip to look forward to.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:53 pm

I would go back tomorrow. Attending home games now has not got the same buzz as 20 years ago. The chanting, the crowd surges the terrace culture, the spontanity of songs has all gone. We now sit in plastic seats surrounded by fans who many see singing and chanting as a bore and sing 2 songs Barmy Army and Cardiff City FC. We have definately lost something that will never be recovered. Its very expensive now and if Im honest I dont enjoy the match day any more than I did 20 years ago. In fact some of the football on display at home last year was lack lustre with no width or pace, People like cohen Griffiths and characters like Stant are no longer in the team. Being bused in and out of away grounds is terrible, at least we could venture into other clubs and grounds in the old days and pay on the day. Get a transit van pile in and off you go !! now you have to be a ST , do you have an away card, have you done enough games, is it a bubble, wheres the rendesvouz point, bla bla bla. So yes for me personally I miss the old days, the banter,the crack and the simplicity of it all has vanished forever. Our away support was still very strong even in the early nineties in relation to the home crowds. The Barmy Army being bounced from the back of the old bob bank terrace to the front was special and kept you fit. I remember Johnny Watkins with his dread locks galvanising everyone going mental on the old terrace. special days indeed and im sure if some of our inbetweener generation could be transported back they would have had a blast. The only negative pissing in the old toilets was a nightmare lol

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I was there, I don't remember a lot but I do remember thinking how nice their pitch was, probably only at Highbury in the FA Cup had I seen a better pitch with my own eyes. Nugent scored too and it finished 2.0 if I'm correct????

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:I would go back tomorrow. Attending home games now has not got the same buzz as 20 years ago. The chanting, the crowd surges the terrace culture, the spontanity of songs has all gone. We now sit in plastic seats surrounded by fans who many see singing and chanting as a bore and sing 2 songs Barmy Army and Cardiff City FC. We have definately lost something that will never be recovered. Its very expensive now and if Im honest I dont enjoy the match day any more than I did 20 years ago. In fact some of the football on display at home last year was lack lustre with no width or pace, People like cohen Griffiths and characters like Stant are no longer in the team. Being bused in and out of away grounds is terrible, at least we could venture into other clubs and grounds in the old days and pay on the day. Get a transit van pile in and off you go !! now you have to be a ST , do you have an away card, have you done enough games, is it a bubble, wheres the rendesvouz point, bla bla bla. So yes for me personally I miss the old days, the banter,the crack and the simplicity of it all has vanished forever. Our away support was still very strong even in the early nineties in relation to the home crowds. The Barmy Army being bounced from the back of the old bob bank terrace to the front was special and kept you fit. I remember Johnny Watkins with his dread locks galvanising everyone going mental on the old terrace. special days indeed and im sure if some of our inbetweener generation could be transported back they would have had a blast. The only negative pissing in the old toilets was a nightmare lol

Thanks for youre input mate, sounds great. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Is this question related to the current situation?,if so I still don't recall anyone from Cardiff City stating we would go under if we didn't rebrand,.Would I go back to the days when we could pretty much sit where I want and move around at will?,probably not but those days hold fond memories and great days away. :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Returning to Div 4 or worse is what is on offer unless the current level of financial support by Mr Tan is continued. The Jordon Mutch signing suggsts that we may do a little better.
Anyway back to Div 4?
Bollocks no thanks.
The point is that we can't go back to smashing up Shrewsbury/Torquay etc (and Jacksville) and having the odd day out in the cup. It's all gone.Football specials, transits, pitch invasions,crowd rushes on the terraces etc great fun though they were are just not allowed any more. You just get crap football in crap places and youre still on camera and all the rest of it.
Glad I was there although when I started we were in Div.2 and the slide down to Div.4 was heartbreaking. It's quite easy to get from 20,000 crowds down to 2000 or whatever and I don't want to see that again.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Returning to Div 4 or worse is what is on offer unless the current level of financial support by Mr Tan is continued. The Jordon Mutch signing suggsts that we may do a little better.
Anyway back to Div 4?
Bollocks no thanks.
The point is that we can't go back to smashing up Shrewsbury/Torquay etc (and Jacksville) and having the odd day out in the cup. It's all gone.Football specials, transits, pitch invasions,crowd rushes on the terraces etc great fun though they were are just not allowed any more. You just get crap football in crap places and youre still on camera and all the rest of it.
Glad I was there although when I started we were in Div.2 and the slide down to Div.4 was heartbreaking. It's quite easy to get from 20,000 crowds down to 2000 or whatever and I don't want to see that again.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Mr Tan ??? :lol: Oh, please Mr Tan, is there anything more that I can do for you? He's a crook, a cheat, and a liar. We'll be back in division 4 (or league 2) before we know it. And yes, I was there the the other times. Not brilliant, but OK. Better than this gutless shambles. Premier League, with Tan and the liar TG?? Dream on :lol:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:01 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Mr Tan ??? :lol: Oh, please Mr Tan, is there anything more that I can do for you? He's a crook, a cheat, and a liar. We'll be back in division 4 (or league 2) before we know it. And yes, I was there the the other times. Not brilliant, but OK. Better than this gutless shambles. Premier League, with Tan and the liar TG?? Dream on :lol:

that crook, cheat, liar and gutless shambles is a billionaire who is keeping our club a float week in week out!! you will never be able to go back to those days becuase the cops wont allow it and stadiums have gone health & safety mad!! whether we're in the championship or league 2 those "good old days" as you put it are long gone!!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Taff on the Mersey wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I was there, I don't remember a lot but I do remember thinking how nice their pitch was, probably only at Highbury in the FA Cup had I seen a better pitch with my own eyes. Nugent scored too and it finished 2.0 if I'm correct????

I was pretty sure it finished 1-0 but it was a long time ago so I might be wrong. Paul Brayson scored at our end and I think the Exeter manager was a guy called Noel Blake, he made something like 13 new signings during the summer and when we beat his new look team, he had them out on the centre circle after the game and he was ripping into them. It's funny how things like that stick in my mind but those days were fond memories.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:19 pm

No and neither would any sane Cardiff City fan. I have spent too long watching shit football in shit grounds. Let's have a reality check shall we?

They were fun times but do we want to be threatened with Conference football again? Not a chance.

And whist we're at it, let's stop blaming CCS for the lack of atmosphere. The ground sits there all week and doesn't make a peep. Neither did NP. It's up to us to make the noise so fcuking sing and stop making excuses!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:42 pm

Llangain BB,
I assume you are a Bluebird but there are so many jacks on this board under false flag who knows.(Hello roath magic daps!)
If you are a Bluebird please get real mate.
I try to be polite and there's every reason to be polite to Mr Tan who as far as I can see has saved the club from administration or worse.
I'm not keen on the red shirt bit,who is? but if that's the deal, that's the deal.Let's be positive.
The plastic team of all plastic teams MUFC seem to have a pretty vibrant core of home and particularly away fans who keep the faith and do the stuff. Feared even.Why don't we look and learn from that.
When I see rows of kids/lads at CCS (Canton and Bobbank) standing with their hands in their pockets twidd
ling their bollocks or looking at mobiles wnen we need to make some noise for the team I do wonder.As far as the atmosphere is concerned Tonteg is spot on and the fans need to get their heads sorted.

Re the investment we have not been let down so far . If you think about it with Mr Tan's backing if/when we make it to the Prem Lg then we should be looking at doing something decent rather than just hanging on (jacks) and that is worth something.
X

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Sorry- Tonteg I meant Brewer918 who has obviously got his head screwed on the right way.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 am

I'M glad to have at least been around to experience them days.Going away in the back of a transit van in the eighties to the likes of "rochdale,brentford,barnet etc "was the best time of my life.the younger and new fans of recent years will never know what it was like.But things move on. :old:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:27 am

We have spent a total of ten seasons in Divsion 3/4/league two and all of these have come in the last 30 years. I would not want to see a return of those dark days with players representing our club that should not even be professional footballers. These were the worst moments of our history, I am no sadist!

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:49 am

Was hoping Annis would add to this thread just to see his take on it! :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:44 am

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:I would go back tomorrow. Attending home games now has not got the same buzz as 20 years ago. The chanting, the crowd surges the terrace culture, the spontanity of songs has all gone. We now sit in plastic seats surrounded by fans who many see singing and chanting as a bore and sing 2 songs Barmy Army and Cardiff City FC. We have definately lost something that will never be recovered. Its very expensive now and if Im honest I dont enjoy the match day any more than I did 20 years ago. In fact some of the football on display at home last year was lack lustre with no width or pace, People like cohen Griffiths and characters like Stant are no longer in the team. Being bused in and out of away grounds is terrible, at least we could venture into other clubs and grounds in the old days and pay on the day. Get a transit van pile in and off you go !! now you have to be a ST , do you have an away card, have you done enough games, is it a bubble, wheres the rendesvouz point, bla bla bla. So yes for me personally I miss the old days, the banter,the crack and the simplicity of it all has vanished forever. Our away support was still very strong even in the early nineties in relation to the home crowds. The Barmy Army being bounced from the back of the old bob bank terrace to the front was special and kept you fit. I remember Johnny Watkins with his dread locks galvanising everyone going mental on the old terrace. special days indeed and im sure if some of our inbetweener generation could be transported back they would have had a blast. The only negative pissing in the old toilets was a nightmare lol

well said :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 am

division 4? mmmmmm whilst loved the intamacy and fun going to roots hall ect ect those days are gone forever! unless of course you want non league footy? even then lot of grounds there are div 1/2 standard so be hard pressed to find what you seek!!! we are where we are and lets be gratefull for that!!!! :D

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:26 pm

brewer918, and C.Rombie Coat,

Fair points lads. I am a bluebird (not a jack out to cause trouble!), but just can't get my head around this re-branding. That's why, after a sherbert or two, I get so annoyed. Apologies to Tan, but they told us one thing, then went back on it.

Can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Debt getting larger and larger, and our identity in tatters. Of course I don't want to go back to div 4, or league 2. But I just can't see why so many fans are so enthusiastic about all this. Second half of last season was poor, WHU hammered us 5-0.

Surely there is a middle way. Keep our traditions, consolidate in the Championship, and if there is money available, build for a decent promotion push. All this £100m seems to have turned heads. At the moment it's just loans. New training grounds, 35k capacity (though those two have gone a bit quiet), just does not seem to add up!

Perhaps 44 years have made me a bit cynical, but honestly can't get excited.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:18 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:brewer918, and C.Rombie Coat,

Fair points lads. I am a bluebird (not a jack out to cause trouble!), but just can't get my head around this re-branding. That's why, after a sherbert or two, I get so annoyed. Apologies to Tan, but they told us one thing, then went back on it.

Can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Debt getting larger and larger, and our identity in tatters. Of course I don't want to go back to div 4, or league 2. But I just can't see why so many fans are so enthusiastic about all this. Second half of last season was poor, WHU hammered us 5-0.

Surely there is a middle way. Keep our traditions, consolidate in the Championship, and if there is money available, build for a decent promotion push. All this £100m seems to have turned heads. At the moment it's just loans. New training grounds, 35k capacity (though those two have gone a bit quiet), just does not seem to add up!

Perhaps 44 years have made me a bit cynical, but honestly can't get excited.

been here before with other owners i know! but its happened so just have to try and go with it until things are sorted one way or other! being honest perhaps vt shouldnt have got involved and left us to our fate! but then we would all be having a completely different conversation! but still moaning about things no doubt!!! :D

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:28 am

LB,
I've done similar time!You will have come on board when we had great European adventures and were knocking on the door of Div 1 (Premier League). Where have we been since then? It's to easy to post late at night after a few but the truth serum does have an effect!Also the jack rodent infestation (and poisinous wind up merchant presence)on here needs sorting somehow.
Anyway, as far as past owners are concerned none of them have had anything near the firepower that Mr Tan has and that's an understatement.This gentleman is in a different league.
Few of us really welcome the red bit but we have to trust the owners.
We will only see the results of their strategy as time moves on and I don't think we can do anything but be patient and supportive.
The Jordon Mutch signing is a fantastic first sign of a positive pre-season.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:43 am

anyone remember Jörn Schwinkendorf 1999-2000 worst signing ever

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:50 am

we just paid 2million for jordan mutch didnt we