Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FA Cup final at Wembley was the death of the club I loved

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Seeing and hearing of thousands and thousands of fans who had never stepped foot inside CCS let alone Ninian Park at Wembley that day made me lose a bit of my love for the club. That's when we changed to a club where plastics would always be at the forefront.

I think from that day onwards we have never been the same. Subsequent matches at a soulless stadium played in front of quiet have ruined the experience for me in a lot of ways. I mean we have to do it for the club to progress to where we want it to be and always hoped we would be. We couldn't get to the Premiership on our hardcore support of 4000 (or less) or whatever it was turned up to watch in the dungeon.

This is why I am looking forward to Oxford away and Forest Green away I know that only diehards will attend these games. The sort of fan who went to Torquay and Exeter and Shrewsbury and Carlisle and Darlington and Hartlepool and such like in the dungeon.

Progress it is called. Part of me would like to go back to the old days.

Re: FA Cup final at Wembley was the death of the club I loved

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:48 pm

The CCS wasn't even built when we were in the FA Cup final :?

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:51 pm

maccydee wrote:Seeing and hearing of thousands and thousands of fans who had never stepped foot inside CCS let alone Ninian Park at Wembley that day made me lose a bit of my love for the club. That's when we changed to a club where plastics would always be at the forefront.

I think from that day onwards we have never been the same. Subsequent matches at a soulless stadium played in front of quiet have ruined the experience for me in a lot of ways. I mean we have to do it for the club to progress to where we want it to be and always hoped we would be. We couldn't get to the Premiership on our hardcore support of 4000 (or less) or whatever it was turned up to watch in the dungeon.

This is why I am looking forward to Oxford away and Forest Green away I know that only diehards will attend these games. The sort of fan who went to Torquay and Exeter and Shrewsbury and Carlisle and Darlington and Hartlepool and such like in the dungeon.

Progress comes at a price and sadly the price is things you mentioned in your post, i would swap an away game with 1200away fans packed in the brentford end while 500 are locked out because they never made it all ticket, to a soul killing lifeless ccs watching us play barnsley thats for sure, but again that comes at a price and moving with the times i guess :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:53 pm

CantonJack wrote:The CCS wasn't even built when we were in the FA Cup final :?

CCS since. I did mention Ninian Park so before and after was covered I feel.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:58 pm

We cant pick and chose which parts of our life we move forward in unfortunately ie computers ,faster cars etc and football has moved on like everything else . Would anyone give up their laptop iPhone and go back to pen and paper I don't think so having said that we might be better off without and just going watching city without MSG board knowledge of what's going on. I'm looking forward to Oxford tho had a good time there last year

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:59 pm

maccydee wrote:

You know whats its like the mockers maccydee let them post rubbish instead its easy for them to say things like this rather than something contructive on the post, why ive stopped replying to troll posts now and only the decent replys. :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:59 pm

And this is why some fans don't deserve to support the team folks.

Completely selfish and non progressive attitude.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:00 pm

The Lone Lad wrote:And this is why some fans don't deserve to support the team folks.

Why is it selfish? maccydee is pointing out how he feels thats does not make him selfish does it, or does he not deserve to support the team as you put it :?

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:02 pm

maccydee wrote:Seeing and hearing of thousands and thousands of fans who had never stepped foot inside CCS let alone Ninian Park at Wembley that day made me lose a bit of my love for the club. That's when we changed to a club where plastics would always be at the forefront.

Fully understand where your coming from. :(

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:03 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
The Lone Lad wrote:And this is why some fans don't deserve to support the team folks.

Why is it selfish? maccydee is pointing out how he feels thats does not make him selfish does it, or does he not deserve to support the team as you put it :?

It is selfish as he is resenting progression for the masses. He would rather have us playing shit teams in shit leagues. Well no thank you. We've progressed. And I am not going to let people drag us down.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Why don't you support Newport County then, the club needs to grow it's fan base to generate income, you are in a very small minority if you think that way, unless you embrace what is going on down the City this will all pass you by, and don't wish for the bad old days, you never know they could return, sport is all about winning, I want to see future generations of kids wearing Cardiff tops, not tops from teams from England.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:11 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
maccydee wrote:

You know whats its like the mockers maccydee let them post rubbish instead its easy for them to say things like this rather than something contructive on the post, why ive stopped replying to troll posts now and only the decent replys. :ayatollah:

Christ I wasn't trolling. It's just he stated that there were people at the FA Cup Final who had never stepped inside the CCS, and to me that was all 30 odd thousand of us. Wasn't mocking him, just pointing out an error

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:13 pm

The Lone Lad wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

It is selfish as he is resenting progression for the masses. He would rather have us playing shit teams in shit leagues. Well no thank you. We've progressed. And I am not going to let people drag us down.

How is it dragging us down i dont get it. I mean i enjoyed the days more also back then things like going to exeter away, the away end is packed out 4mins to go and its 0-0 the corner comes in from faeber up pops scott young to nod home at the back post, the away end explodes people are slamming in to me from all angles while young pushes his head through the back of the net looking me in the eyes while we are both screeming with joy a meter apart from eachother while the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up. What a f*cking feeling, now all i have around me "clap clap clap" & "sit down" at games. This must make me one of fans who are dragging us down as you put it because we prefer them days to any lifeless game these days but again thats how times have changed and progress comes at that price.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:18 pm

I am sick to f*cking death of these fantasy away games in the 3rd/4th division I was at Brentford away great support with hundreds locked agreed, but compared with Leicester City play off semi final no comparison, also what about Leicester at home the same season down to 10 men one walking injured and the crowd going berserk every time we won a throwing in their half to relieve the pressure, and what about Chopra's last minute winner against the Jacks.

Soulless stadium sometimes, but was Bury away a f*cking scream every year

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes it was you plastic prick. I long for the days of Bury and Rochdale away. They were great days and not a plastic in sight, the happy clappers were non existant too.

:old:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:26 pm

i dont think that was what the statement was about...he is saying that was when so many hidden supporters turned up,and are willing to do whatever just to get top flight...... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:17 pm

CantonJack wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Christ I wasn't trolling. It's just he stated that there were people at the FA Cup Final who had never stepped inside the CCS, and to me that was all 30 odd thousand of us. Wasn't mocking him, just pointing out an error

Wasn't an error. I mentioned Ninian Park as that was the before, CCS the after. Some of the fans have only been to watch us at Wembley. That isn't progress that is bollocks.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:21 pm

I fully understand your views on this and what you say is quite fair. I will give you an example of another club who have similar issues that you have raised. Man city at Maine rd was a nasty place for rival teams to go to. Just like NP it had a reputation that it deserved. They then moved to eastlands (etihad). Then big parts of their support start criticising their new ground for it's lack of atmosphere. Now don't get me wrong I ain't comparing the two clubs in size or support but if it can happen to a big club like that then it makes you think.
The FA cup was special for our club and helped us push on our fan base. Work needs to be done to encourage our atmosphere at the ground. Our relative success increased our fan base and brought new fans to us. This is very important to the club. We as supporters need to welcome new people and make them want to come regularly.
Fans groups and our influential supporters need to work on these matters with the club. I believe the club will try and address these issues in the near future :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Every club with a fan base the same size of ours has plastics who turn up for Wembley ffs.

I'm truly gutted about the rebrand but everyone needs to stop being so negative.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:28 pm

CCS has a better steward/ security set up. So that will have an effect on the atmosphere in terms of people can naturally feel the difference in control. Plus there arent as many "hypo" fans eg hooligans rising because the more recent generations can see that dont get clubs anywhere.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:53 pm

As CCFC moves on, grows and develops it'll be people such as yourself left in the gutter, muttering obscenities about "plastics" and "Malaysia".

Onwards and upwards!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Would the OP preferred it if we had only sold 4000 tickets to the semi final at Wembley ? Frankly , I'd have been embarassed

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:08 pm

See what your saying a little bit of me would like to go back but what you have done is hand pick a few games most were dire. I've done the Darlingtons and alike and enjoyed them but I'm enjoying going to better stadiums now might be age. Ninian park wasn't all that either 3000 didn't generate a atmosphere it created some friendships as it was the same people week in week out Christ some games tumble weed would roll past on the bob bank but like you said if 20000 were in np atmosphere was second to none the hatred it generated was great players shit themselves that's what I miss

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Caerdydd12 wrote:CCS has a better steward/ security set up. So that will have an effect on the atmosphere in terms of people can naturally feel the difference in control. Plus there arent as many "hypo" fans eg hooligans rising because the more recent generations can see that dont get clubs anywhere.

Hypo fan who is passionate doesn't equal a hooligan. I am hypo and passionate but not a hooligan. I agree those that were hooligans were passionate and hypo but it wasn't just hooligans who were hypo.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Bore off

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:36 pm

The Douce wrote:Bore off

Nice answer to a question that has brought some nice debate. Typical of some of the cocks you get on message boards.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:Yes it was you plastic prick. I long for the days of Bury and Rochdale away. They were great days and not a plastic in sight, the happy clappers were non existant too.

:old:

Be careful who you abuse or my gramps will batter you.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:38 pm

maccydee wrote:

Nice answer to a question that has brought some nice debate. Typical of some of the cocks you get on message boards.

That my friend is all the douce puts in to this message board, same old same old half line insults everywhere :lol:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:18 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
maccydee wrote:

That my friend is all the douce puts in to this message board, same old same old half line insults everywhere :lol:

Thought Annis and the mods were sending his like packing back to CCMB.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Mind boggling that people actively resent progress for City.