Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" BAGGIES TO BID FOR WHITTINGHAM "

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 pm

West Brom line up bid for Cardiff City star Peter Whittingham
Jun 21 2012

CARDIFF City’s resolve to hold onto star midfielder Peter Whittingham is set to be tested by Premier League West Brom.

The Midlands’ club are poised to make an offer this summer for the 27-year-old with Whittingham at the top of new Baggies boss Steve Clarke’s wish-list as he builds toward the new season.

Bluebirds’ manager Malky Mackay recently vowed he had no need to sell his top players as he looks to add to his options in the Welsh capital. But after four-and-a-half seasons with the Bluebirds the lure of a return to the top flight might finally prove too much for the mercurial midfielder.

In Mackay’s first season in charge Cardiff once again missed out on promotion via the play-offs.

The Baggies expressed an interest in Whittingham back in January around the same time the Bluebirds’ rejected a £3m bid for the playmaker from West Ham.

But sources in the Midlands say Clarke is prepared to step up that interest and test the Bluebirds with a higher offer.

Whittingham, who joined Cardiff from Aston Villa for £350,00, has two years left on his current contract having put pen to paper on a new deal last summer.

He has long been regarded the most coveted player in the second-flight and was again named the Bluebirds’ player of the season last campaign as well as being included in the PFA’s Championship team of the season.

Clarke, who was installed after previous Albion boss Roy Hodgson took the England job, is said to see Whittingham as central to his plans next campaign.

The Baggies look set to lose two of their midfield lynch-pins this summer with Republic of Ireland international Keith Andrews out of contract while Austrian international Paul Scharner is also a free agent and has indicated he wants to move on.

Scharner was one of the highest paid players at West Brom and that money could now be poured into brokering lucrative personal terms with Whittingham.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1yPM9CIKg

Bluebirds ace in Clarke's sights
West Bromwich Albion, 14:15, June 16, 2012
West Brom have been linked with a summer swoop for Cardiff City midfielder Peter Whittingham.

New Baggies boss Steve Clarke is looking to bolster his squad at the Hawthorns and, having discussed potential targets with sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth, it seems Whittingham is high up on his wanted list.
Former boss Roy Hodgson had been linked with the 27-year-old former Aston Villa man during the January transfer window, but the Bluebirds dismissed any possibility of losing a key man during their pursuit of promotion to the Premier League.
However, after the Welsh outfit lost out in the play-offs for a third successive season, the Baggies could be set to renew their interest this summer, especially with Paul Scharner and Keith Andrews out of contract.
Newcastle midfielder Danny Guthrie, who is a free agent after leaving Newcastle at the end of last season, is also still being linked with a move to the Hawthorns.

Re: BAGGIES TO BID FOR WHITTINGHAM

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 pm

SamCCFC1927 wrote:On the back page of the echo tomorrow :ayatollah:

Good luck to em, can't see us selling.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Just paper talk fella :D ;)

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 pm

£6 million and I would sell.

No chance it'd be £6 million but if it was then I'd say it'd be best for both Whitts and club to sell him.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I Posted this 4 DAYS AGO.... On another thread where have the Echo been :?:

http://www.clubcall.com/west-bromwich-a ... 38544.html

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:54 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:I Posted this 4 DAYS AGO.... On another thread where have the Echo been :?:

http://www.clubcall.com/west-bromwich-a ... 38544.html

Standard for the echo lol.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Sam if we sell, then City have to give approx £3.2 mil to Ray Ranson, thats why we dont sell.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:58 pm

I don't give a damn if Whitts is sold.

Re: " BAGGIES TO BID FOR WHITTINGHAM "

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Oh thanks for clearing that up Annis :D :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Whitts deserves his shot at the premiership, if they offer 3.5m or more I'd take it and be very glad to get the Ranson debt off the books because it completely distorts our activity in the transfer market. We never sell anyone and just let them run their contracts down. I'd be gutted if whitts did the same but he will be nearly 30 when his runs out so can't see him signing a new one with us unless we get promoted.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:19 pm

People say theyd take 6 million but depends how we use it in my opinion! :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:20 pm

To pay off some debt :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:26 pm

SamCCFC1927 wrote:Bluebirds ace in Clarke's sights
West Bromwich Albion, 14:15, June 16, 2012
West Brom have been linked with a summer swoop for Cardiff City midfielder Peter Whittingham.

New Baggies boss Steve Clarke is looking to bolster his squad at the Hawthorns and, having discussed potential targets with sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth, it seems Whittingham is high up on his wanted list.
Former boss Roy Hodgson had been linked with the 27-year-old former Aston Villa man during the January transfer window, but the Bluebirds dismissed any possibility of losing a key man during their pursuit of promotion to the Premier League.
However, after the Welsh outfit lost out in the play-offs for a third successive season, the Baggies could be set to renew their interest this summer, especially with Paul Scharner and Keith Andrews out of contract.
Newcastle midfielder Danny Guthrie, who is a free agent after leaving Newcastle at the end of last season, is also still being linked with a move to the Hawthorns.

Plus On the back page of the echo tomorrow :ayatollah:

How much?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:28 pm

When Steve Clark doesn't get "his" man will the WBA fans slag him off saying he can't close the deal ?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:29 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -31226480/ :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:46 am

SamCCFC1927 wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city/cardiff-city-fc/2012/06/21/west-brom-line-up-bid-for-cardiff-city-star-peter-whittingham-91466-31226480/ :ayatollah:

When I saw Tucker was the author I stopped reading because he has been claimimg Whiits was going to be sold for years. Every player has a price and eventually Whitts will leave the club and the Tucker will be claiming "I told you so".

I prefer to listen to MM who isn't looking to sell his best players.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:50 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Sam if we sell, then City have to give approx £3.2 mil to Ray Ranson, thats why we dont sell.

I believe that the Ranson debt has, & is seriously damaging our chances of dealing in the transfer market, both for players in out of our club.

This will be the case until such time that the said debt is concluded & settled,,,,,,just like the Langston debt!

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:57 am

bspark wrote:Whitts deserves his shot at the premiership, if they offer 3.5m or more I'd take it and be very glad to get the Ranson debt off the books because it completely distorts our activity in the transfer market. We never sell anyone and just let them run their contracts down. I'd be gutted if whitts did the same but he will be nearly 30 when his runs out so can't see him signing a new one with us unless we get promoted.

Good point :idea: , but despite that I still wouldn't sell Whits.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:51 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I believe that the Ranson debt has, & is seriously damaging our chances of dealing in the transfer market, both for players in out of our club.

This will be the case until such time that the said debt is concluded & settled,,,,,,just like the Langston debt!

If anything it's helping us....we pay nothing unless we sell a player over £3m.

We can buy who we want and we are forced to hang on to our best players....win win in my book

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:05 am

Craig, i don't know the details of the Ranson Debt regarding our club, so i can't question that, but one thing is obvious, for as long as we service that debt, Cardiff City FC "can't" afford to sell players for big bucks either.