Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

R.I.P Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:17 pm

With everything that is going on within our own club the sad news that the name Glasgow Rangers FC disappeared from the football map today to be replaced by a new company "The Rangers FC" has almost been overlooked. In the following days and weeks we will find out exactly where "The Rangers" will play within the Scottish Football pyramid.

For fans who have been lucky enough too see their club win trophy after trophy and play European Football alomost every season this must be hard to take.Whatever decision is made by the Scottish Premier League about "The Rangers" being allowed to take up the share belonging to Glasgow Rangers one thing is certain, and that in my opinion is how will the stance taken by HMRC on this debt issue affect the football map in the future. In having the strength to say enough is enough to football club owners who don't pay the tax bill and taking out a club with the history of Glasgow Rangers should send shockwaves throughout British football.

I feel for the fans most of all and I wonder how they are feeling about the move, this afternoon, by ex manager Walter Smith to make an offer to purchase the assests of Glasgow Rangers FC saying to fans "The Football Club should be in the hands of Rangers people who will work to stabilise the club and protect it from future situations like we have faced today"

Sorry Walter but if I was a Rangers fan that would really wind me up because if you really had a consortium willing to stabilise the club and protect it in the future why didn't you step forward and try and buy the club in administration? At least if you had managed that the name "Glasgow Rangers FC " would still exist.

Could it be that the name didn't matter to you but buying the assests including Ibrox Stadium for a fraction of their value was more important to a "Rangers" person than the historical clyb name. Anyway none of that matters as his bid failed and the new club has been transferred to the consortium led Charles Green.

I have been thinking about this all afternoon because here we have a group claiming to care about the club, but unwilling to buy the club in administration, Why? obviously because they didn't want to be saddled with the debts run up by the previous owners, so much so in fact they were prepared to see the historical club name, badge etc lost forever.

This is in stark contrast to the major investor of our own club who is willing to try and negotiate settlements with the historical creditors of our club, and then fund the repayments from his own bank account. We get to keep our name but he has asked us to accept a change of club colours and badge. How lucky are we to have such a man backing our club and I wonder if he would have been welcomed by the fans of Glasgow Rangers if he tried to settle their debts. :?

Anyway R.I.P Glasgow Rangers a great football institution that will be sadly missed.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: R.I.P Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:20 pm

wonder if they were given choice of wear red or stay as rangers fc financially secure what the outcome would be - guess actually red white blue would prevail as well

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:26 pm

NIBluebird wrote:wonder if they were given choice of wear red or stay as rangers fc financially secure what the outcome would be - guess actually red white blue would prevail as well

Sadly they have no choice.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Won't they be able to set up again and start off in the spl? I haven't followed the news on this but if so then it ain't such a bad result for them considering they've run up such massive debts! Rangers fc to fc rangers with the debt whipped out...can't really complain can they?

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:33 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Won't they be able to set up again and start off in the spl? I haven't followed the news on this but if so then it ain't such a bad result for them considering they've run up such massive debts! Rangers fc to fc rangers with the debt whipped out...can't really complain can they?

dont be silly as from today rangers only excist as names on roll board at spl, and on all the cups they won! fans they cant say we won this or that as there history starts today!

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:38 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Won't they be able to set up again and start off in the spl? I haven't followed the news on this but if so then it ain't such a bad result for them considering they've run up such massive debts! Rangers fc to fc rangers with the debt whipped out...can't really complain can they?

The football club before today was called Glasgow Rangers FC and the company traded as Glasgow Rangers Football Club but it has been shortened to Rangers in popular culture. But the club has been Glasgow Rangers since it's formation in 1872 so 140 years of tradition was lost today.

No decision has yet been made on where the new club will play because that power lies with the other member clubs of the Scottish Premier League who have the power to decline their application. If they do, and I accept that's not certain, the new club will almost certainly drop to the lowest level of the Scottish Football pyramid.

One thing is certain under Uefa rules they are now banned from all Eurpoean competition for 3 years. Personally I hope the SPL clubs allow them to stay members for no other reason than the fans who I'm sure will still fill out Ibrox week in week out.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:46 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

dont be silly as from today rangers only excist as names on roll board at spl, and on all the cups they won! fans they cant say we won this or that as there history starts today!

But the fans will still be the same fans, will still sing the same songs about there history yeah? Will still play at ibrox? Will still play in the spl? Will still hate celtic? Its the fans that hold on to history not what's on paper.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:49 pm

I am not so sure the other clubs will be so generous, as I think there was still outstanding money to other clubs for player transfers which will have to be written off by the other clubs and here they have a chance to weaken the grip the 2 Glasgow clubs had over the SPL and Scottish football.

Life could be a bit boring for Celtic fans over the next few years though ? Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for !

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:58 pm

This is what was so annoying about fans on here making I'll thought throw away comments like VT has wiped out our history. While we remained the same club this was NEVER going to happen and it was used as a scare tactic.

The Rangers of the last 140 years CEASED TO EXIST today and their history stops. Legally as new entity their history starts today, they will have no right to list their trophies in the programme, no ability to show replica trophies in their cabinets and no remembering past successes.

I know the fans will quote the past but the fans of other clubs will NEVER let them claim their history and it will frustrate them until they build up a new history.

THIS IS WIPING OUT HISTORY and for us to even suggest our predicament has put us anywhere near the situation that Rangers find themselves in is appealing and scaremongering at its worse.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:02 pm

The SPL fixtures are due to be published on Monday but now one of the member clubs "Glasgow Rangers" no longer exists and their membership, or share, is owned by that business.

But under SPL rules any new company must be formally adopted by the other SPL clubs before it takes up membership of the SPL. Under SPL rules a Special General Metting must now be held to vote on the motion to adopt the new club and the other member clubs must be given 14 days notice of such a meeting.

What do the SPL do one the one hand they cannot publish fixtures including a club that no longer exists and they also cannot publish fixtures including a club which has not been adopted by the other member clubs.

My guess is the fixtures will be published and one club each week will have a fixture against a club "To Be Confirmed"and that may well turn out to be the newly formed "The Rangers FC" but it could also be a team promoted from League 1 in Scotland.

Administrative nightmare and very worrying time for the fans.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:06 pm

castleblue wrote:

The football club before today was called Glasgow Rangers FC and the company traded as Glasgow Rangers Football Club but it has been shortened to Rangers in popular culture. But the club has been Glasgow Rangers since it's formation in 1872 so 140 years of tradition was lost today.

No decision has yet been made on where the new club will play because that power lies with the other member clubs of the Scottish Premier League who have the power to decline their application. If they do, and I accept that's not certain, the new club will almost certainly drop to the lowest level of the Scottish Football pyramid.

One thing is certain under Uefa rules they are now banned from all Eurpoean competition for 3 years. Personally I hope the SPL clubs allow them to stay members for no other reason than the fans who I'm sure will still fill out Ibrox week in week out.

Sorry, but you're wrong there mate. They have never been called Glasgow Rangers (thats the popular culture bit you refer to elsewhere - but ironicly its not Rangers fans that call them by it). They were formed originally as "The Rangers Football Club" in 1872. The only change was when they were floated on the alternative stock market & became a PLC in 1982 - and that date is/was included for corporate reasons.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Wayne S wrote:This is what was so annoying about fans on here making I'll thought throw away comments like VT has wiped out our history. While we remained the same club this was NEVER going to happen and it was used as a scare tactic.

The Rangers of the last 140 years CEASED TO EXIST today and their history stops. Legally as new entity their history starts today, they will have no right to list their trophies in the programme, no ability to show replica trophies in their cabinets and no remembering past successes.

I know the fans will quote the past but the fans of other clubs will NEVER let them claim their history and it will frustrate them until they build up a new history.

THIS IS WIPING OUT HISTORY and for us to even suggest our predicament has put us anywhere near the situation that Rangers find themselves in is appealing and scaremongering at its worse.

Not sure if the scaremongering was aimed at me but that was not my intention. However HMRC were in the process of applying for a winding up order against us for non payment of taxes. That case was delayed to allow a special general meeting to approve the initial investment by VT and thereby paying the debt to HMRC.

It's far from scaremongering to mention historical fact because but for the grace of god two years ago we could have been in the sad position that Glasgow Rangers have found themselves today.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Any idea if the fans season ticket money has been lost?

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:15 pm

LlwyncelynBlue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Sorry, but you're wrong there mate. They have never been called Glasgow Rangers (thats the popular culture bit you refer to elsewhere - but ironicly its not Rangers fans that call them by it). They were formed originally as "The Rangers Football Club" in 1872. The only change was when they were floated on the alternative stock market & became a PLC in 1982 - and that date is/was included for corporate reasons.

Are you sure about that. :?

According to Uefa records Glasgow Rangers beat Dynamo Moscow 3-2 in the 1972 Uefa Cup Final. ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Rangers and Celtic keep the spl going the orther clubs in the top flight will not want to lose the revanue they create so i dont see them playing out side the top flight next season

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:19 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

But the fans will still be the same fans, will still sing the same songs about there history yeah? Will still play at ibrox? Will still play in the spl? Will still hate celtic? Its the fans that hold on to history not what's on paper.

no fans have memories! club has history! yes sing same songs but about different team they are watching! :lol:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:20 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Any idea if the fans season ticket money has been lost?

I have tried to check that out Tony but as far as I can see you can renew your season ticket with the new company but I'n not sure if the club tried to sell ST when it was trading in administration.

Could it do that. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:22 pm

NIBluebird wrote:wonder if they were given choice of wear red or stay as rangers fc financially secure what the outcome would be - guess actually red white blue would prevail as well

:lol: not our lot they would prefer liquidation over red! :lol:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:25 pm

castleblue wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Any idea if the fans season ticket money has been lost?

I have tried to check that out Tony but as far as I can see you can renew your season ticket with the new company but I'n not sure if the club tried to sell ST when it was trading in administration.

Could it do that. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Just checked Portsmouth website Tony and they have just started selling ST so that sort of answers the question. Off to try and find out if Rangers sold any.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:29 pm

castleblue wrote:
LlwyncelynBlue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

According to Uefa records Glasgow Rangers beat Dynamo Moscow 3-2 in the 1972 Uefa Cup Final. ;)

Positive mate. Try going on a Rangers site and call them Glasgow Rangers & you'll see what I mean ;)

Not reknowned as the most reliable of sources but check the official name oh the right of the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_F.C.

Alternatively, the Official site:
http://www.rangers.co.uk/AdministratorsInformation

UEFA lol - what the f#ck do they know? :lol:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:43 pm

LlwyncelynBlue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
LlwyncelynBlue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Positive mate. Try going on a Rangers site and call them Glasgow Rangers & you'll see what I mean ;)

Not reknowned as the most reliable of sources but check the official name oh the right of the link:

I'm going to admit something now that if you repeat I'll never live it down. I watched the 1991 Uefa Cup Final Man Utd v Barcelona. The match programme lists all the previous winners that was my source but your right it is Uefa.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 pm

bluewho wrote:Rangers and Celtic keep the spl going the orther clubs in the top flight will not want to lose the revanue they create so i dont see them playing out side the top flight next season

It's a myth they keep the other clubs going - check out the attendance figures. People don't want to watch the Old Firm anymore. Even the old firm fans only turn out for Old Firm games and there are stacks of empty seats at every other fixture. rangers owe clubs money as well, they stand to lose as it is so why would they vote for them? They should be putting the boot in to them because Rangers & Celtic have been putting the boot into clubs up here for years.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:37 pm

castleblue wrote:
LlwyncelynBlue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
LlwyncelynBlue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

I'm going to admit something now that if you repeat I'll never live it down. I watched the 1991 Uefa Cup Final Man Utd v Barcelona. The match programme lists all the previous winners that was my source but your right it is Uefa.

they are always THE RANGERS

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:43 pm

castleblue wrote:
Not sure if the scaremongering was aimed at me but that was not my intention.

Most DEFINATELY NOT directed at you castleblue.

It was more towards many over the last few weeks that have seen the rebranding as wiping out our history. Only one thing can wipe out a clubs history and that is liquidation.

New Rangers can no longer lay claim to the history of Old Rangers. We are nowhere near that situation and it is wrong of people to suggest otherwise.

The rebranding is appalling but exaggerated claims do not help our case to get things changed.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 pm

I agree with the likes of Aberdeen, Rangers F.C. should start in the 3rd tier of the SPL. As once the precedent is set it could be very detrimental. I don't agree that it will be the death knell for Scottish football, as Scottish fans will continue to watch their teams, as they do now. I mean Scottish football can probably only get better!