Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky Mackay tips Earnshaw for future Cardiff City success

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:00 am

Malky Mackay tips Robert Earnshaw for future Cardiff City success

Jun 14 2012

Robert Earnshaw
Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay insists out-of-favour striker Robert Earnshaw still has a future with the Bluebirds.

The Wales international arrived back at the club where he began his career last summer from Nottingham Forest and at first established himself in the Bluebirds’ side.

But the 31-year-old fell out of favour under Mackay and went onto make just nine starts netting four goals in the process.

Earnshaw found himself falling down the pecking order behind the likes of youngsters Joe Mason and Rudy Gestede.

But Mackay insists the marksman still has a chance to show what he can do.

“Rob was unlucky at times and found himself further down the pecking order than he felt he was going to be,” said Mackay.

“But I make my decisions based on performances I see in training and games.

“Rob is an immaculate pro and a good lad. I did feel for him at times, but what I was seeing was youngsters coming through and I couldn’t stop it.

“Earnie was unlucky, but we get everybody back now and we start again.

“Those I have spoken to about their futures all know that no matter how much game-time they had last season their task is to go and impress me from the start.”

Mackay has clearly indicated one of his main priorities is to add more firepower to his squad this summer.

An audacious bid, believed to be around £5.5m, was made for Burnley striker Jay Rodriguez who eventually opted for Premier League football at Southampton.

The Bluebirds also missed out on Fleetwood striker Jamie Vardy, who instead joined Cardiff’s Championship rivals Leicester for a fee believed to be £1m.

And Mackay is also on the hunt for Icelandic international frontman Björn Bergmann Sigurdarson who would command a fee of around £3m from Norwegian outfit Lillestrom.

But, despite the hunt, Mackay insists he is also looking for a step up from the strikers he already has at the club, particularly those youngsters Mason and Gestede.

“They have dipped into Championship football for the first time and every time you step up it’s a harder level to play at,” said Mackay.

“Coming into the Championship is completely different for them. the pace, the ferocity and physicality of it.”

And Mackay also launched a stanch defence of Kenny Miller, who he used as his first-choice striker often in a lone role last campaign.

“In goal terms, in the second half of the season, Kenny would say he was disappointed,” said Mackay. “But his overall work-rate, ability and what he did for the team can’t be questioned.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1xkSSvBKQ

Re: Malky Mackay tips Earnshaw for future Cardiff City success

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 am

Well Malky if u want Earnie at Cardiff play him, u are paying Earnie at least £13,000 a week to sit on the side lines. :shock:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:08 am

Forever Blue wrote:Malky Mackay tips Robert Earnshaw for future Cardiff City success

Jun 14 2012

Robert Earnshaw
Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay insists out-of-favour striker Robert Earnshaw still has a future with the Bluebirds.

The Wales international arrived back at the club where he began his career last summer from Nottingham Forest and at first established himself in the Bluebirds’ side.

But the 31-year-old fell out of favour under Mackay and went onto make just nine starts netting four goals in the process.

Earnshaw found himself falling down the pecking order behind the likes of youngsters Joe Mason and Rudy Gestede.

But Mackay insists the marksman still has a chance to show what he can do.

“Rob was unlucky at times and found himself further down the pecking order than he felt he was going to be,” said Mackay.

“But I make my decisions based on performances I see in training and games.

“Rob is an immaculate pro and a good lad. I did feel for him at times, but what I was seeing was youngsters coming through and I couldn’t stop it.

“Earnie was unlucky, but we get everybody back now and we start again.

“Those I have spoken to about their futures all know that no matter how much game-time they had last season their task is to go and impress me from the start.”

Mackay has clearly indicated one of his main priorities is to add more firepower to his squad this summer.

An audacious bid, believed to be around £5.5m, was made for Burnley striker Jay Rodriguez who eventually opted for Premier League football at Southampton.

The Bluebirds also missed out on Fleetwood striker Jamie Vardy, who instead joined Cardiff’s Championship rivals Leicester for a fee believed to be £1m.

And Mackay is also on the hunt for Icelandic international frontman Björn Bergmann Sigurdarson who would command a fee of around £3m from Norwegian outfit Lillestrom.

But, despite the hunt, Mackay insists he is also looking for a step up from the strikers he already has at the club, particularly those youngsters Mason and Gestede.

“They have dipped into Championship football for the first time and every time you step up it’s a harder level to play at,” said Mackay.

“Coming into the Championship is completely different for them. the pace, the ferocity and physicality of it.”

And Mackay also launched a stanch defence of Kenny Miller, who he used as his first-choice striker often in a lone role last campaign.

“In goal terms, in the second half of the season, Kenny would say he was disappointed,” said Mackay. “But his overall work-rate, ability and what he did for the team can’t be questioned.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1xkSSvBKQ

annis this has got to be a joke????..after leaving earnie on the bench for a season....maybe they dont fancy spending money on another striker :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:15 am

Krabb

annis this has got to be a joke????..after leaving earnie on the bench for a season....maybe they dont fancy spending money on another striker
krabb

Kevin, this does worry me, even though I have always been an Earnie fan, but feel he is just a good sub nowadays, Malky last season never even rated Earnie as that, now Malky says this. :shock:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:18 am

Forever Blue wrote:Krabb

annis this has got to be a joke????..after leaving earnie on the bench for a season....maybe they dont fancy spending money on another striker
krabb

Kevin, this does worry me, even though I have always been an Earnie fan, but feel he is just a good sub nowadays, Malky last season never even rated Earnie as that, now Malky says this. :shock:

not good,not good...maybe earnie likes red..... :D :D :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:19 am

krabb wrote:

krabb

not good,not good...maybe earnie likes red..... :D :D :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:29 am

Forever Blue wrote:Well Malky if u want Earnie at Cardiff play him, u are paying Earnie at least £13,000 a week to sit on the side lines. :shock:

Maybe 7 subs will give Earnie more of a chance, alternatively, Malky could be talking him up ready for sale?

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:37 am

Earnie is on his way to the MLS and sooner rather than later.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:Well Malky if u want Earnie at Cardiff play him, u are paying Earnie at least £13,000 a week to sit on the side lines. :shock:

See its issues like this which is why I feel that cutting wage outgoings should come first before another further loan. If bad management continues then the same issue will only raise again at a later date

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:57 am

He hardly ever played him last season, there were a few games in which I think he should have come on...so what's changed Malkys tune? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 am

7 Subs!

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:23 am

Annis, Earnie has been looking for a club in the US but is now looking at Canada. I'm surprised Malkey is saying this now when Earnie knows he is not in his plans.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:48 am

If MM came out and said he was shit then everyone would be up in arms, its just how u handle the media. It's also a challenge to Earnie as well as telling him he was shit in training and to buck his ideas up.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:12 am

krabb

The new 7 sub rule will help him at least get on the bench.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 am

Is this Malkys way of telling us that we dont need another striker because we have super sub Earnie

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 am

RichardBluebird wrote:Is this Malkys way of telling us that we dont need another striker because we have super sub Earnie

I don't think so, I think we'll see two new strikers still

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:30 am

As it has already been alluded to in this thread, I believe that Malky is trying to build up Earnie's profile, in order to get him a move and off our books! :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 am

He should of had more games - treated badly by M in my opinion - good luck in MLS Earnie :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:22 am

This says it f*cking all about are so called MONEY TO SPEND jesus hes does not get on with miller thats a cert and MM will not play them in the same said as club foot miller is his boy.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 am

It was clear last season that we need a 20-25 goal a season striker, Earnie is past his best and Malky just doesn't rate him and i have to agree that he offers nothing to the team. It was perfectly summed up when Malky used him to make up the numbers against West Brom in the FA Cup, although he scored 2 goals it just wasn't enough for him to force his way in.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:31 am

krabb

He's not gonna come out and say earnie's shit or past it is he :lol:
Malky has his own agenda maybe he thinks earnie needs his support or hes trying to get someone interested in him..

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:32 am

Miller 43 starts 10goals
Earnie 9 starts 4goals
:shock:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:34 am

2blue2handle wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:Is this Malkys way of telling us that we dont need another striker because we have super sub Earnie

I don't think so, I think we'll see two new strikers still

We know that but with Miller, Earnie, Mason & Gestede in the first team squad alone, Im guessing Malky has to be shrewd with his budget.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:37 am

bluebird1977 wrote:Miller 43 starts 10goals
Earnie 9 starts 4goals

Miller will do well with a target man he's better than earnshaw. Those who coudnt see how important millers all round game is must be blind or not watching games.
Yes he didnt score has much as we all would have liked but under the circumstances and playing out of position as a lone striker he did well

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:41 am

jinks-rct wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:Miller 43 starts 10goals
Earnie 9 starts 4goals

Miller will do well with a target man he's better than earnshaw. Those who coudnt see how important millers all round game is must be blind or not watching games.
Yes he didnt score has much as we all would have liked but under the circumstances and playing out of position as a lone striker he did well

I get what you mean jinks but its MM and his lets defend on are 18yard like with one up top chasing hoofball that didnt help miller at all plus nobody to win headers up there with him, down to the manager if you ask me but also his shots per goal are shocking tbh

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:14 am

Totally baffled by Malky's comments. How can you motivate a player after the way the way Earnie was treated last year. The best strike ration at the club last year and he didn't even get a look in. The odd 10 mins afte the game was lost. He deserved at least a chance.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 am

Promotion s guaranteed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:18 pm

The last thing I was expecting to hear from Malky right now. :shock:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Earnie is twice the player that Scottish f**k Miller is. He doesn't play him cos he didn't buy him.

Anyway he had better hurry up and tell Earnie he is in his plans before he fucks off to Vancouver.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:34 pm

I find this story bizarre, I respect Malky but he give Earnie f**k all last season...crack pot interview!