Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VT's Great mall of China - 100 million in catchment area

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Before I start, I'm opposed to the rebranding, but I'm a realist and appreciate that nothing ever stays the same, apart from Angryman and Daya who I'm guessing will always remain bellends.

Gwyn recently posted guessing that Tan maybe targetting the Great Mall of China development as a marketing opportunity to push the new Cardiff City brand. This may or may not be the case, but it does make some sense when you look at the potential numbers involved.

Cardiff City currently markets itself predominantly to South Wales, with a potential catchment population of approx 1.5 million plus. In comparison, you wills ee from the attached link article that the Great Mall of China has a catchment area of 100 million people. This is huge and pretty difficult to comprehend without experiencing the urban sprall of China first hand. The article

http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story. ... In%20China

If Tan has some control over advertising and marketing in the mall, shoppers will be bombarded every hour of every day with whatever images and marketing material Tan chooses, plus the design and imagery of the Mall itself could both consciously and sub consciously (subliminal design and features) influence shoppers habits.

Designing modern shopping malls and advertising within them is now a science and shopers are like sheep, easy to influence and direct.

If he has plans to market us in this manner good luck. If he hasn't, he's missing a trick.

I'd still rather he had the leisure pool slides designed in a bluebird theme, but I imagine it's easier to make a slide in the shape of a dragon and the proposed branding will be more identifiable with punters.

Perhaps there is a method to the madness after all, but he won't be changing my view of the rebrand any time soon.

Re: VT's Great mall of China - 100 million in catchment area

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:35 pm

THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF US

THEY CANNOT WATCH US ON TV OR ON THE INTERNET

WHY WOULD THEY SUDDENLY DROP MAN UTD, LIVERPOOL, CHELSEA, ARSENAL ETC??

IF THE RED DRAGON CENTER SUDDENLY STARTED SELLING FC HARBIN GOULI SHIRTS (2nd division Chinese club) DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD START SELLING LIKE HOTCAKES AND EVERYONE IN WALES BECOMING AVID HARBIN GOULI FANS EVEN THOUGH THEY CANT WATCH ANY F THEIR GAMES, ALREADY SUPPORT SOMEONE AND HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THEM?

W
A
K
E

U
P

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Long term investment I'm sure tan has a master plan maybe 10 years you never know but to achieve any of that we HAVE to be successful on and off the pitch first :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:07 pm

ROATH MAGIC,

NO NEED TO SHOUT FELLA, I'VE GOT MY HEARING AID ON.

READ MY POST, I'M NOT A BELIEVER IN THE REBRAND IDEA.

ALL I AM HIGHLIGHTING IS THAT VT MAY BELIEVE HE COULD SIGNIFICANTLY RAISE THE PROFILE OF THE CLUB VIA THIS TYPE OF PROJECT.

ARE YOU SUGGESTING HE DOES NOTHING TO TRY TO ADDRESS THE FACT THAT….

THEY HAVE NOT HEARD OF US!

I'LL GO BACK TO SLEEP NOW YOU HAVE STOPPED SHOUTING

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:09 pm

100M.. is a magic number

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:04 pm

RoathMagic wrote:IF THE RED DRAGON CENTER SUDDENLY STARTED SELLING FC HARBIN GOULI SHIRTS (2nd division Chinese club) DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD START SELLING LIKE HOTCAKES AND EVERYONE IN WALES BECOMING AVID HARBIN GOULI FANS EVEN THOUGH THEY CANT WATCH ANY F THEIR GAMES, ALREADY SUPPORT SOMEONE AND HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THEM?

The original OP was making a valid point. I find it highly unlikely that there would be anything at the Mall related to the City but IF the owners do have our success at the core of their plan and promotion came our way then we would be seen on TV over there and marketing to 100 million people would be an opportunity they would be stupid to miss.

Your point above, which has been reduced for sensitive eyes, is NOT valid. English football is watched around the world and is supported by many within Asia so there is a market. Chinese football is not watched in the UK so there is no market. Plus the potential shoppers at the Red Dragon Center is laughable compared the the Great Mall of China.

Please continue to argue your corner but get some better arguments.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:27 pm

exactly where is the English second division watched in China?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:49 pm

RoathMagic wrote:exactly where is the English second division watched in China?

You are doing this deliberately yes. Surely or are you just being stupid for the sake of it

THE BUSINESS PLAN INVOLVES US GETTING TO THE PREMIERSHIP AND STAYING THERE. MAYBE YOU WILL GET IT ONE DAY.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm

bluelover wrote:

You are doing this deliberately yes. Surely or are you just being stupid for the sake of it

THE BUSINESS PLAN INVOLVES US GETTING TO THE PREMIERSHIP AND STAYING THERE. MAYBE YOU WILL GET IT ONE DAY.

Yes he is doing it on purpose. CantonMagic likes to remain ignorant to the answers to his questions as it does not help with his motives to et us infighting.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:58 pm

I not sure if the English second division is Tans aim.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm

bluelover wrote:

Ok.

So let me get this straight. We have a shortfall of £15 million a year... probably £18 million when the signings come in. And we are yet again gambling on getting promotion or we are fkked again? 5 years of £18 million shortfall = £75 million debt.

So we have sold our soul, changed our badge and colours for a fleeting chance of getting to the Prem and even if we do the maths tell us we will probably come straight back down again.

What a sad situation we have got ourselves into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOALTV

But it's not about Championship football anyway.

llan bluebird wrote:

I not sure if the English second division is Tans aim.

I agree. I think his aim is to have a well supported Premier League team from Wales. We haven't seen one yet.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

we are not that big in south wales where we are based i cant see china being that arsed with us
there are far more manu and liverpool (murderers) fans in south wales than ccfc or jacks SAD BUT TRUE

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Wayne S wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOALTV

But it's not about Championship football anyway.

1 game per week and alternate teams, meaning we get screened twice.

Yes it seems its all hinging on whether we get to the Prem - doesnt that scare you when we will be losing close to £20 million per year while we try and get out of one of the hardest leagues in Europe?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:04 pm

bluelover wrote:

How long is this plan? Is it plan B, C D. Surely if your plan is based on getting to the PL and staying there its yet another gamble for your franchise.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Blueboo wrote:Before I start, I'm opposed to the rebranding, but I'm a realist and appreciate that nothing ever stays the same, apart from Angryman and Daya who I'm guessing will always remain bellends.

Gwyn recently posted guessing that Tan maybe targetting the Great Mall of China development as a marketing opportunity to push the new Cardiff City brand. This may or may not be the case, but it does make some sense when you look at the potential numbers involved.

Cardiff City currently markets itself predominantly to South Wales, with a potential catchment population of approx 1.5 million plus. In comparison, you wills ee from the attached link article that the Great Mall of China has a catchment area of 100 million people. This is huge and pretty difficult to comprehend without experiencing the urban sprall of China first hand. The article

http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story. ... In%20China

If Tan has some control over advertising and marketing in the mall, shoppers will be bombarded every hour of every day with whatever images and marketing material Tan chooses, plus the design and imagery of the Mall itself could both consciously and sub consciously (subliminal design and features) influence shoppers habits.

Designing modern shopping malls and advertising within them is now a science and shopers are like sheep, easy to influence and direct.

If he has plans to market us in this manner good luck. If he hasn't, he's missing a trick.

I'd still rather he had the leisure pool slides designed in a bluebird theme, but I imagine it's easier to make a slide in the shape of a dragon and the proposed branding will be more identifiable with punters.

Perhaps there is a method to the madness after all, but he won't be changing my view of the rebrand any time soon.

So the 'Great Mall of China' is set to be completed by March 2017. Are you confident he will stay with us for at least another 5 years?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:08 pm

RoathMagic wrote:So let me get this straight. You have a shortfall of £12 million a year. And you are yet again gambling on getting promotion or you are fkked again? 5 years of £12 million shortfall = £60 million debt.

So you have sold your soul, changed your badge and colours for a fleeting chance of getting to the Prem and even if you do the maths tell us you will probably come straight back down again.

What a sad situation you have got yourselves into.

I've edited out a few of your mistakes. Glad I could help.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:09 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:So the 'Great Mall of China' is set to be completed by March 2017. Are you confident he will stay with us for at least another 5 years?

I don't and then we will be blue again. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:10 pm

MAESTEG BLUE wrote:we are not that big in south wales where we are based i cant see china being that arsed with us
there are far more manu and liverpool (murderers) fans in south wales than ccfc or jacks SAD BUT TRUE

But the OP is about us being marketed. You may not see us being big out there but Tan has a bit more business acumen. ;) :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:10 pm

RoathMagic wrote: 5 years of £18 million shortfall = £75 million debt.

If you are going to lecture on finance at least get your maths right 5 x £18m = £90m

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Wayne S wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:So let me get this straight. You have a shortfall of £12 million a year. And you are yet again gambling on getting promotion or you are fkked again? 5 years of £12 million shortfall = £60 million debt.

So you have sold your soul, changed your badge and colours for a fleeting chance of getting to the Prem and even if you do the maths tell us you will probably come straight back down again.

Since when has there been 10 months in a year?

£1.2 million a month as the shortfall is currently is £14.4million per year. Once the signings come in and it gets pushed to £1.5 million a month then thats £18 million per year.

£18 million X 5 seasons = £90 million debt.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:12 pm

jackf wrote:
bluelover wrote:

How long is this plan? Is it plan B, C D. Surely if your plan is based on getting to the PL and staying there its yet another gamble for your franchise.

Sounds like you getting worried .............. ha ha

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
RoathMagic wrote: 5 years of £18 million shortfall = £75 million debt.

If you are going to lecture on finance at least get your maths right 5 x £18m = £90m

Yep your right, gave the answer based on losing £1.2 million per month.

even more worrying.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
Wayne S wrote:

£1.2 million a month as the shortfall is currently is £14.4million per year. Once the signings come in and it gets pushed to £1.5 million a month then thats £18 million per year.

£18 million X 5 seasons = £75 million debt.

£90 million not £75 million.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
Wayne S wrote:

yep edited - terrifying.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:14 pm

The extra finger gets in the way eh? :D

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
Wayne S wrote:

yep edited - terrifying.

Gosh , you got terrible attendance figures , but don't realise it coz your math is so bad

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:16 pm

RoathMagic wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
Wayne S wrote:

yep edited - terrifying.

Yeah it is. And one of your previous posts when you said you worked it out if we lost 1.2million a month it would come to £75 million over 5 season, just worked it out and it's actually £72 million. Not that it really matters, it is still a hefty amount.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:18 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:
RoathMagic wrote:
Wayne S wrote:

yep edited - terrifying.

Yeah it is. And one of your previous posts when you said you worked it out if we lost 1.2million a month it would come to £75 million over 5 season, just worked it out and it's actually £72 million. Not that it really matters, it is still a hefty amount.

No it will be about £75m as we currently stand as a lot of our interest that will be accumulated will be interest baring.