Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE BIG RED DRAGON

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 am

Now, this got me thinking, VT is building the world's biggest shopping Mall outside Peking (not personally I hasten to add, he got a few subbies helping him, :lol: )
But reading about this Mall, inside is going to house the worlds biggest indoor water park, and it is in the form a of a big red dragon, any link?

Now what if (and this is all pure guess work I promise) part of the deal involves a link or sponsorship and investment/backing, call it what you will from the Chines owner of this Mall, is this part of VT's plan vision.

Personally a lot of us may wish things to be kept in Welsh hands, but where are these Welsh billionaires, I think it's a sign of the times and the gap between the top clubs and the next section of clubs is getting bigger by the season, it is now a billionaires playground and whilst it may not be tradition or what we want, if we intend competing at a high level it is a necessary evil if that's how you want to describe it.

Lot's of fans may now be saying "it ain't all about playing in the Premiership" and that's true, but I'd rather be aiming for that than aiming for survival in the bottom division.
Let's aim as high as we can and if we don't quite get there, we may at least be able to compete and be stable for the foreseeable future.

Re: THE BIG RED DRAGON

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 am

Our natural level is mid table championship based on income potential based on stadium size and attendance levels so surely if we were to be run on a break even budget then we would be aiming for minimum of survival in championship with the odd play off campaign rather than survival in the bottom division?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 am

based on what exactly? there are a few teams in the prem who get less than 26k attendances

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:50 am

Gwyn when I read about the shopping centre I thought the same thing

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:55 am

paulh_85 wrote:based on what exactly? there are a few teams in the prem who get less than 26k attendances

Agree but its the tv revenue that keeps them there which we don't have. If you take all the clubs in the football league and ordered them by stadium size we should be mid table championship. Obviously there are some teams in league and league 2 that should be higher and some teams in premiership that are out performing there potential due to the tv income but our natural position would be somewhere in the middle of the championship.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:55 am

GYWN CHECK YOUR INBOX :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 am

bspark wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:based on what exactly? there are a few teams in the prem who get less than 26k attendances

Agree but its the tv revenue that keeps them there which we don't have. If you take all the clubs in the football league and ordered them by stadium size we should be mid table championship. Obviously there are some teams in league 1 and league 2 that should be higher and some teams in premiership that are out performing there potential due to the tv income but our natural position would be somewhere in the middle of the championship.

Obviously you have to be able to near enough fill the stadium, there is no point being a Darlington. If we got to the premiership then we should start to pay off the historic debt but that reduces our wage budget compared to other premiership clubs. So where as clubs like Wolves, West Brom, Blackpool and Swansea with very little debt should be able to bounce back and forth between the premiership and championship with relative ease it won't be as easy for us due to the historic debt. What the Malaysians should have done when they came here is strip back the clubs wage bill and settled the Langston debt asap. That would have left us approx 20m in debt running break even in the championship. The premiership dream would have been a little further from reach but always a possibility with a good season making it into the playoffs.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:30 am

Gwyn that's your most sane post for 5 weeks and you bring up good points but I still don't agree with the rebranding; the way it was handled; the threats placed on the traditional fans; the false information given out or that the pitifully small and unrepresentative vote has been portrayed by Club and media that the majority or fans are in favour of it.

StT.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:37 am

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:Gwyn that's your most sane post for 5 weeks and you bring up good points but I still don't agree with the rebranding; the way it was handled; the threats placed on the traditional fans; the false information given out or that the pitifully small and unrepresentative vote has been portrayed by Club and media that the majority or fans are in favour of it.

StT.

I am confused Steve, didn't you put a petition together because apparently I been told that played a big part in convincing the Malaysiasn to get back on track? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:38 am

BigGwynram wrote:Now, this got me thinking, VT is building the world's biggest shopping Mall outside Peking (not personally I hasten to add, he got a few subbies helping him, :lol: )
But reading about this Mall, inside is going to house the worlds biggest indoor water park, and it is in the form a of a big red dragon, any link?

Now what if (and this is all pure guess work I promise) part of the deal involves a link or sponsorship and investment/backing, call it what you will from the Chines owner of this Mall, is this part of VT's plan vision.

Personally a lot of us may wish things to be kept in Welsh hands, but where are these Welsh billionaires, I think it's a sign of the times and the gap between the top clubs and the next section of clubs is getting bigger by the season, it is now a billionaires playground and whilst it may not be tradition or what we want, if we intend competing at a high level it is a necessary evil if that's how you want to describe it.

Lot's of fans may now be saying "it ain't all about playing in the Premiership" and that's true, but I'd rather be aiming for that than aiming for survival in the bottom division.
Let's aim as high as we can and if we don't quite get there, we may at least be able to compete and be stable for the foreseeable future.

The Red Shirt/Dragon thing is definitely part of a future strategy by VT which almost certainly involves getting sponsorships/partnerships from China.

Exactally what they are is still a mystery but for now I'm happy to take his money and turn CCFC into a top 6 Premier team.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:22 am

Gwyn:
[i]Gwyn: I am confused Steve, didn't you put a petition together because apparently I been told that played a big part in convincing the Malaysiasn to get back on track?

Gwyn, it is you who are confused. I have never put any petition together either blue or red. I simply signed it. No more and no less. See how ruours get about that have no basis in fact. I hope you will take my word on that. If you don't then there's nothing else I can do mate.

In my previous post I was simply asserting the facts that for the first time this last 5 weeks your post was remarkable in that
- pressure and/or scarcasm were conspicuous by their absence and
- after really trying to understand all sides on this issue my postion has not changed viz supersition has replaced heritage

I am, as I always will be, a traditional City fan who believes our kit should still be blue and the official Bluebird Club crest should remain. This position is not personal; it is simply placed on principle.

StT.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:27 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Now, this got me thinking, VT is building the world's biggest shopping Mall outside Peking (not personally I hasten to add, he got a few subbies helping him, :lol: )

On paper (which is as far as it has got so far) , this shopping mall looks fantastic.

A word of warning though should come from the last "biggest shopping mall in the world" built in China. The South China Mall was built in 2005 and has been an unmitigated disaster with virually no tenants at all since it was opened.Perhaps a warning that all that is promised and looks good on paper doesn`t necessarily come to a successful outcome?

I hope the mall does prove to be a great success as it will show what can be achieved by an organisation in business in China - in this case Vincent Tan`s Berjaya group - without having to change its corporate logos and colours. Come on you mighty Berjaya Blue and Yellows!!!!

I hope this one is far more successful for all concerned

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Who was the billionaires that backed Swansea, Blackpool and Bunley to promotion to the Big Time then?? Must have missed that. The Jacks also went on to secure 11th spot in the Prem too - Again, where was the billionaire sugar daddy?

Our fans have a disease, Sams disease. Since Hamam came and promised us the world, all we want is instant success at any cost - even our colours and badge are nowfair game it seems. What happened to earning success. We have turned into the whores of the football league, we will do anything for anyone with enough cash to get us out of our previous whoring or to continue new ones.

When will it stop? coz its embarrassing. He can stick his slide where the sun dont shine - we are Cardiff City, we are Blue and we were once a proud club.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:40 pm

RoathMagic wrote:Who was the billionaires that backed Swansea, Blackpool and Bunley to promotion to the Big Time then?? Must have missed that. The Jacks also went on to secure 11th spot in the Prem too - Again, where was the billionaire sugar daddy?

Our fans have a disease, Sams disease. Since Hamam came and promised us the world, all we want is instant success at any cost - even our colours and badge are nowfair game it seems. What happened to earning success. We have turned into the whores of the football league, we will do anything for anyone with enough cash to get us out of our previous whoring or to continue new ones.

When will it stop? coz its embarrassing. He can stick his slide where the sun dont shine - we are Cardiff City, we are Blue and we were once a proud club.

shut up. JACK boy. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:42 pm

you cant remember their names either then?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Not everything built in China is a successful business venture is it?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ld-travel/

http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers- ... isneyland/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... doors.html

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:51 pm

If you look at this articles pictures, the dragon is blue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... doors.html

:D :D :D :D

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:15 pm

RoathMagic wrote:Who was the billionaires that backed Swansea, Blackpool and Bunley to promotion to the Big Time then?? Must have missed that. The Jacks also went on to secure 11th spot in the Prem too - Again, where was the billionaire sugar daddy?

I don't think that three teams getting promotion on the cheap shall we say in comparison to all the others who have spent big to get there is a fair comparison, also Swansea had a good deal of debt and also had not spent a fortune building a big new stadium, asset wise they are piss poor, the are they will now struggle in is attracting or keeping class playes unless they pay comparable wages to other clubs.

Instant succes, I have had 46 years of waiting for instant succes, and now a real backer with the clout neede comes along and makes it a good chance, you and others say he should be spending less and cutting costs. :?: :?:

Lost me with the slide analogy?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:26 pm

BigGwynram wrote:

I don't think that three teams getting promotion on the cheap shall we say in comparison to all the others who have spent big to get there is a fair comparison, also Swansea had a good deal of debt and also had not spent a fortune building a big new stadium, asset wise they are piss poor, the are they will now struggle in is attracting or keeping class playes unless they pay comparable wages to other clubs.

Instant succes, I have had 46 years of waiting for instant succes, and now a real backer with the clout neede comes along and makes it a good chance, you and others say he should be spending less and cutting costs. :?: :?:

He sounds like a Jack to me Gwyn :twisted: ;)

With all this Swansea this and Swansea that :twisted:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Gwyn it doesn't matter if they stick a big fat Cherry on top no one is going to go buying our shirts on a massive scale in China. To them we would be an obscure team no one has ever heard of in China. They can sponsor us stick fooking great pictures on the walls we will still be nobody's.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:

Oh he's a jack alright, can't you smell between the lines? :oops:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Essoblue wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:

Oh he's a jack alright, can't you smell between the lines? :oops:

He's a jack and coz their attendances are soo poor he has to come on here to have a chat. Poor old jacks , premier league and still shit crowds

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Gwyn it doesn't matter if they stick a big fat Cherry on top no one is going to go buying our shirts on a massive scale in China. To them we would be an obscure team no one has ever heard of in China. They can sponsor us stick fooking great pictures on the walls we will still be nobody's.

I don't understand how you can say with any authority that our shirts will not sell in China, on any scale, unless of course you have first hand experience of the retail market in that country. VT does through his Cosway organisation and whilst officially TG has only said they "Hope" to succeed in building new revenue streams I'm pretty sure they will be giving it their best.

I also think you haven't given enough credit for the affect of two Cup Final appearances in the last 4 years which will have provided worldwide exposure, through TV, of our club. Are we major players in comparison to Man Utd or Real Madrid of course not, but neither are we nobody's.

Just my opinion.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm

castleblue wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Gwyn it doesn't matter if they stick a big fat Cherry on top no one is going to go buying our shirts on a massive scale in China. To them we would be an obscure team no one has ever heard of in China. They can sponsor us stick fooking great pictures on the walls we will still be nobody's.

I don't understand how you can say with any authority that our shirts will not sell in China, on any scale, unless of course you have first hand experience of the retail market in that country. VT does through his Cosway organisation and whilst officially TG has only said they "Hope" to succeed in building new revenue streams I'm pretty sure they will be giving it their best.

I also think you haven't given enough credit for the affect of two Cup Final appearances in the last 4 years which will have provided worldwide exposure, through TV, of our club. Are we major players in comparison to Man Utd or Real Madrid of course not, but neither are we nobody's.

Just my opinion.

In China Chief we are nobodys. In fact only to Cardiff City fans are we anybody and that's just the way i like it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Just my opinion.

In China Chief we are nobodys. In fact only to Cardiff City fans are we anybody and that's just the way i like it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I see your in the Dave Jones "People In This Part Of The World" band. I understand now. ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:02 pm

castleblue wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Just my opinion.

I see your in the Dave Jones "People In This Part Of The World" band. I understand now. ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I think we are growing on a grand scale in Malaysia, for sure.
Who knows what else can be brought to the CCFC table in the future?
Contacts,contacts, contacts.

As the saying goes, it's not what you know.... :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:31 pm

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIVING IN COOKOO LAND
lets wait and see if we can attract players to our club this summer first
malkey has the biggest spending purse (loaned money :shock: ) that any city (are we still allowed to call our club that) manager has had. i agree it is an exciting time to be a ccfc red
lets see if we can get to the premier then MAYBE we can talk of bigger things