Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City set yet again to miss out on another player. "

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:51 pm

Wolves have emerged as favourites to win the race for Cardiff City target Björn Bergmann Sigurdarson.

Wolves favourites to sign Cardiff City target Björn Bergmann Sigurdarson

WalesOnline Jun 12 2012

Wolves have emerged as favourites to win the race for Cardiff City target Björn Bergmann Sigurdarson.

The newly-relegated Midlanders are ready to pay £3m for the 21-year-old Lillestrom and Iceland striker.

New Wolves boss Stale Solbakken, a former Lillestrom and Norway midfielder, believes he can utilise his links in his homeland to seal the deal.

Cardiff boss Malky Mackay is interested in the player who came to the fore with a breakthrough campaign last season which saw him score 17 goals for Lillestrom.

It is understood, however, that Sigurdarson is keen to link up with Solbakken at Molineux despite interest from Cardiff as well as Premier League pair Everton and Reading.

The Bluebirds also missed out on an audacious swoop for Burnley hot-shot Jay Rodriguez.

The England Under-21 cap, completed a £6m-plus transfer from his hometown club to Southampton, the Premier League new boys smashing their transfer record to sign the 22-year-old.

Mackay admitted he would have ‘kicked himself’ if he had not at least made an attempt to land Rodriguez.

“We did contact Burnley and asked how much they wanted.

“A figure came back to us and then we bid an amount,” said Mackay.

“I’ll never reveal what that amount was but at the time we were the only bidders.

“I would have kicked myself if we had not asked the question and he had joined another Championship club.

“We looked at him as a top striker in our division and that has now been underlined by the fact someone is taking him into the Premier League.

“He is joining a top flight club and there was nothing we could do to beat that.

“If we could have got to the point where our bid was accepted and we could have tried to sell our club to him that would have been different.

“But when Premier League clubs were in for him the whole situation was very different.”

Rodriguez, who scored 21 goals for Burnley last season, has signed a four-year contract at Southampton, saying: “It’s a squad I want to be a part of, and it’s really exciting.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1xX1sFPJ9

Re: Cardiff City set yet again to miss out on another player. "

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 am

Typical that they have a manager with links to his club! We would have to bid 4mil to get him probably .... And i doubt that would happen

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:52 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83613 posted this already :lol: :ayatollah: be gutted if we don't get him :(

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:16 am

Serpico on mikes board is up to date on this,he says the player is still on holiday but the wolves manager used to manage his club and is good friends with their sporting director,and is being kept informed of whats happening.i think we can forget about him signing for us

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 am

Its the same old story - This has nothing to do with Blue or Red

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:27 am

I think it's good that Malkay is chasing this type of player but sadly it looks like we will lose out.

We should remember that Wolves have £18m in Premier League parachute payments to help them fund purchases and it's really difficult for us to compete with that. Also the new Wolves manager seems to have good connections to the player which sort of tips it in Wolves favour, unless Everton enter with a bid then the lad will be off to the them.

Interesting targets though.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:32 am

We couldn't even sign Varney from non league. I know that there are various reasons why players do not sign for a particular club but City do not seem to be appealing at this time to some players. Let's hope things change.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 am

Early days but lost out on a player who was offered prem every week and a guy who knows a manager and close links with Wolves - June / July main months for transfers - all will be revealed i guess

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:27 am

Lets be honest, who in their right mind would want to come to Cardiff. Only the deluded think we are a big club, in truth we are a club in turmoil where players and agents keep a very wide birth.

Id also like to question Malkys negotiation team, what do they do..........?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:06 am

Forever Blue wrote:Wolves have emerged as favourites to win the race for Cardiff City target Björn Bergmann Sigurdarson.

WalesOnline Jun 12 2012

The newly-relegated Midlanders are ready to pay £3m for the 21-year-old Lillestrom and Iceland striker.

New Wolves boss Stale Solbakken, a former Lillestrom and Norway midfielder, believes he can utilise his links in his homeland to seal the deal.

Cardiff boss Malky Mackay is interested in the player who came to the fore with a breakthrough campaign last season which saw him score 17 goals for Lillestrom.

It is understood, however, that Sigurdarson is keen to link up with Solbakken at Molineux despite interest from Cardiff as well as Premier League pair Everton and Reading.

The Bluebirds also missed out on an audacious swoop for Burnley hot-shot Jay Rodriguez.

The England Under-21 cap, completed a £6m-plus transfer from his hometown club to Southampton, the Premier League new boys smashing their transfer record to sign the 22-year-old.

Mackay admitted he would have ‘kicked himself’ if he had not at least made an attempt to land Rodriguez.

“I’ll never reveal what that amount was but at the time we were the only bidders.

“I would have kicked myself if we had not asked the question and he had joined another Championship club.

“We looked at him as a top striker in our division and that has now been underlined by the fact someone is taking him into the Premier League.

“He is joining a top flight club and there was nothing we could do to beat that.

“If we could have got to the point where our bid was accepted and we could have tried to sell our club to him that would have been different.

“But when Premier League clubs were in for him the whole situation was very different.”

Rodriguez, who scored 21 goals for Burnley last season, has signed a four-year contract at Southampton, saying: “It’s a squad I want to be a part of, and it’s really exciting.”

Same old story, Money talks, and we have,nt got any !!! :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 am

The facts are nobody knows what's going on with Bjorn Sigurdarson, especially not WalesOnline/Echo.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Its the same old story - This has nothing to do with Blue or Red

true.more to do with connections if anything and maybe he would see a relegated side a better bet for promotion.def not any other issue if he goes to wolves

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:26 am

this is sounding to familiar now we always seem as though we are in for a player only to miss out again....im getting fed up with this now ...looks like there ploy is to make it look like we are after some big signings but we,ll end up with more free transfers i think i can see coming

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 am

Blueboys1927 wrote:Same old story, Money talks, and we have,nt got any !!! :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

I can't believe that some people believe there isn't money available for transfers!

Unless you disbelieve Carl, when he posted that the Malaysians were phoning Malky on a daily basis during the January transfer window, asking him who he'd signed!

Or unless you disbelieve Marvin Sordell, who admitted he was on his way to Cardiff when his agent asked him if he wanted to go to Bolton instead, or even Craig Noone who also admitted that he thought he was off to Cardiff in January!

And now some seem to be doubting Malky, who has publically stated that we put in a bid for Rodriguez!

There is also the report that Malky had been sounded out by Norwich, but he has stayed, stating that he has unfinished business at Cardiff!

Does anybody really think he'd have turned down a former team, who are now in the Premiership to stay with us, if the only thing he had to offer any transfer targets were tins of Heinz beans? :?

People need to get real here, we lost out on Sordell because a Premiership team came calling, we lost out on Noone because their Chairman came back off holiday and decided that he didn't want to sell us a player, as we were competing with them at the top end of the Championship, we lost out on Rodriguez because we couldn't offer him Premier League football which Southampton can and if we lose out on Sigurdarson's signature, it'll be most likely because of the Norwegian connection!

I suspect there'll be other signatures we lose out on as well, as Malky will be shopping in a higher grade basket than we've been used to in the past, but we aren't the big club, that we'd all like to be as yet and I'm sure that there'll be some more of our targets, who'll also end up signing for Premiership teams as well! :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:06 am

I still think he's coming to us. We have been plotting to get him for a long time over a year now - watch this space ;) :lol:

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:16 am

Richard Keogh is still on the agenda as well as he is yet to sign the new contract he has been offered and no way Coventry can afford to lose him for nothing next year.

He is on honeymoon at the moment having married his girlfriend last week, a nice girl who lives in Bristol. May be a bit of a clincher that wurzel connection.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 am

Yeah you are right we have just been "Unlucky" not to get the 6 or 7 players we have gone after....

Or maybe there no money? what is more plausible?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 am

Not pointing the finger at anyone but just would be interested to know who actually deals with transfer negotiations etc at the club since Gethin Jenkins left? It seems to me that whilst Gethin got a lot of stick that since he left last summer we have missed out on nearly all of our major targets!

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 am

Malky just needs to be abit quicker with bids etc

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 am

DannyboyBluebirds wrote:Yeah you are right we have just been "Unlucky" not to get the 6 or 7 players we have gone after....

When you aim high, you're going to get far more set backs, now had we tried to buy players from Bury, Dagenham & Redbridge or Rochdale etc........ :D

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:59 am

DannyboyBluebirds wrote:Yeah you are right we have just been "Unlucky" not to get the 6 or 7 players we have gone after....

I have no doubt that Malkay has money to buy players and also no doubt that he will get the players he wants within a budget the club can afford.

Unlike the last manager who would have spent every penny by now on overaged, crocked players on wages that the club couldn't afford.

I know which one I prefer in control of spending the money.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:15 am

It's just paper and agent chit chat thats all :lol: I know for sure Lillestrom don't want to let him go until late July/early August because their window doesn't open over there until 1st August. So please everyone stop listening to silly newspaper rumours. I am confident we will get his signature :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:29 am

sam old same old :roll:

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Its the same old story - This has nothing to do with Blue or Red

Who said it did have anything to do with Blue or Red?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:50 pm

We must remember that the story is from WalesOnline :lol:

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Blueboys1927, why do you have to quote the whole of the original post?!

I've never understood why people do it :shock:

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Wolves have emerged as favourites to win the race for Cardiff City target Björn Bergmann Sigurdarson.

WalesOnline Jun 12 2012

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 pm

I've heard Richard Keogh is coming to us........

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Guys you have to remember where is Cardiff ? Geographically we are way out west, most foreigners would know and want to stay in London, know for footballing terms where Manchester is, but Cardiff, what's it like to live, how easy are flights "home".
The Cardiff fans are salt of the earth (allegedly), but half of them hate the guy who is stumping up the dosh for this transfer and we ain't got a clue what the first few games are going to be like, this lot have a history of scrapping amongst themselves !!!

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Who the hell would want to join CCFC at the moment? The whole set up is a shambles. Open civil war among the fans. Absentee owners who don't give a toss.