Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Has anyone been to Crete?

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Evening all,

I booked a holiday to Stalis in Crete yesterday, and was just wondering if anyone's been. If so, was it nice and have you got any recommendations? (Where to go? What to do? Where to eat? and so on).

Also, slightly concerned about their present financial situation. Has this increased the prices out there?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

:ayatollah:

Re: Has anyone been to Crete?

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:51 pm

OhhhGa wrote:Evening all,

I booked a holiday to Stalis in Crete yesterday, and was just wondering if anyone's been. If so, was it nice and have you got any recommendations? (Where to go? What to do? Where to eat? and so on).

Also, slightly concerned about their present financial situation. Has this increased the prices out there?

What happened to Kefalonia. :?

I've been to Crete and Stalis is a nice quiet resort not far from Heraklion airport, also very close to Malia which is something of a hellhole in my opinion.

But if you want to get pissed, laid and catch a nice STD Malia is a must. ;)

Enjoy the holiday.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Went to Stalis, or just down the road from their, in the mid 90's. I enjoyed it, & would return to Crete again [one day].

Lots of Germans, as you would expect.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:53 pm

What happened to Kefalonia. :?

I've been to Crete and Stalis is a nice quiet resort not far from Heraklion airport, also very close to Malia which is something of a hellhole in my opinion.

But if you want to get pissed, laid and catch a nice STD Malia is a must. ;)

Enjoy the holiday.

Prices suddenly jumped to beyond my budget, bit of a shame but we got a good deal in the end.

I am not, under any circumstances, visiting Malia :lol:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:55 pm

I went many years ago. Stalis is Ok, but you are only one resort away from Malia - club18-30 heaven!

Its quite a big island, so hire yourself a car for some of your stay to get around. Agios Nikolaios is nice to visit. If you like historical things then the palace of Knossos is well worth the visit, as is a trip to archaeological Museum in Heraklion.

Try and get up into the mountains to the south of the island - its still remarkably Greek and unspoiled!

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Go south young man.

Souda Bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvH_FxR_9do

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:57 pm

Cheers for the advice :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:58 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:Went to Stalis, or just down the road from their, in the mid 90's. I enjoyed it, & would return to Crete again [one day].

Lots of Germans, as you would expect.

That's a positive mind you - the Cretans really hate the Germans (don't mention the war - the Germans occupied Crete) and will often favour the British, especially service in restaurants, we found. They refer to German run hotels as "Sausage Factories".

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:58 pm

bluebird58 wrote:I went many years ago. Stalis is Ok, but you are only one resort away from Malia - club18-30 heaven!

Its quite a big island, so hire yourself a car for some of your stay to get around. Agios Nikolaios is nice to visit. If you like historical things then the palace of Knossos is well worth the visit, as is a trip to archaeological Museum in Heraklion.

Try and get up into the mountains to the south of the island - its still remarkably Greek and unspoiled!

Great advice here visit the south east of the island, Makrigialos, absolutely stunning if you get that far because there are so many stunning resorts on the way.

Remember avoid Malia at all costs.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 pm

castleblue wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:I went many years ago. Stalis is Ok, but you are only one resort away from Malia - club18-30 heaven!

Great advice here visit the south east of the island, Makrigialos, absolutely stunning if you get that far because there are so many stunning resorts on the way.

Remember avoid Malia at all costs.

Ignore this advice Take a suitcase full of condoms and head straight for Malia
Also check out Hersonissos about 10mins in a taxi, Scandinavian Heaven

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:25 pm

Stalis is beautiful, about an hour away from Heraklion and the airport and not far from Malia.

The main strip in Stalis is a good mix of restaurants and bars but the clubs are in Malia. If you can, I recommend getting a bike and exploring more of the island. Elounda is where a lot of celebs live and Agios Nikolaos is nice.

Try and get some raki from the mountains, normally sold if pop bottles but will blow your f*cking head off!!!

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:34 pm

OhhhGa wrote:Evening all,

HI mate,
I,ve been to Crete 3 times,it's the largest of the Greek islands and i've never seen a cloud there (honest). Stalis is a brilliant family place,lovely sandy beach and lots of tavernas along the beach road facing the sea. I haven't been there for about 10 years but i'm sure you'll have a great time. On the east of the island is Vai where they made the old Bounty advert (remember the palm trees,just like a tropical island).

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Hoya mate. I went to stalks about 13 years ago. I stayed in a family run Small hotel right on the main road that goes the length of stalis. Crossing the road got you to the beach and on the way to malia. Malia was lively to say the least, however there is an 'Old Malia' too. This place is very small in comparison but is the other side of the main road and it is full of quaint family run restaurants and the like with cobbled pavements. Basically old malia is really nice.....however this was 13 years ago. I'd like to think old malia is still the same but can't help wonder if it's just been incorporated into the lively place.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:29 am

Fly into Chania and stay somewhere between Maleme and Kolymbari. Much more peaceful and laid back. Stayed in Rapaniana for six years running. Cheap car hire from small local firms.

I could live there ... maybe should now the world has turned red!