Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BUILT BY A WELSH MAN

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:16 am

Donetsk which is one of the biggest city's in the Ukraine and home of their main stadium,I think I'm right in saying was built from scratch by a man from Merthyr Tydfil who opened the first coal mine there many years ago and the rest as they say is history. :old:

Re: BUILT BY A WELSH MAN

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:17 am

WOW that's good to know :D

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 am

BigGwynram wrote:Donetsk which is one of the biggest city's in the Ukraine and home of their main stadium,I think I'm right in saying was built from scratch by a man from Merthyr Tydfil who opened the first coal mine there many years ago and the rest as they say is history. :old:

Gwyn who was it Angry man or polo :lol:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 am

Easy tiger :lol: :lol:

John Hughes was his name, of course I didn't just google that :ayatollah:
They built a statue for him n all :ayatollah:

Vive la France

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:33 am

LutonBluebird wrote:Easy tiger :lol: :lol:

Vive la France

Small world init dude :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:36 am

Tiger wrote:
LutonBluebird wrote:Easy tiger :lol: :lol:

Vive la France

Small world init dude :ayatollah:

Yeah, just your response made me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:57 am

It was not a coal mine, steel works and form the local football team.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 am

was he the same guy who had Cyfarthfa built???

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:03 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:was he the same guy who had Cyfarthfa built???

you on about the Crawshays

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:06 am

Angry Man wrote:

i dunno but we just done some work up there, i should have taken more notice of the scottish curator :oops: nice place, what a house, and a large latte is only £1.20 served by a topless waitress and with stockings on :mrgreen:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:59 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

i dunno but we just done some work up there, i should have taken more notice of the scottish curator :oops: nice place, what a house, and a large latte is only £1.20 served by a topless waitress and with stockings on :mrgreen:

Baz, serious, if you interested in Merthyr's history and it is fascinating, read any of the Alexander Cordell books, they are novels but all based around facst and real people, truly great reading.
Did you know at one time, there was more people living in Mertyr, than In Cardiff, Swansea and Newport combined, in fact Cardiff more or less exists because of what they dug out and shipped out of Merthyr;s's mountains. :old:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:00 am

Hi Gwyn,
I am ex councillor for Merthyr,I got elected and only stood for 1 term. I met the Ukrainian ambassador when they visited Merthyr to celebrate the link between the two places.I got a book called 'dreaming a city' which is about Donetsk, it was called Hughesovka, but Russians changed name to Stalino, then Donetsk.Merthyr's industrial history is second to none. Ps. If you want a lend of book letme know.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14 am

Adam, the Crawshays did not build Cyfarthfa iron works, the bought off someone, and made huge profits when they expanded it, fact.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:21 pm

its a really interesting place tbh, and got loads of exhibits up there :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:17 pm

OK that is weird

I thought this was going to be about Shakhtar :shock: subliminal messaging Gwyneth :shock:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:20 pm

This stadium was opened a few years back, they have a billionaire owner who loves Brazilian players who has bankrolled them to domestic and UEFA Cup glory. Dynamo Kiev are still top dog though.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:25 pm

TheLad wrote:This stadium was opened a few years back, they have a billionaire owner who loves Brazilian players who has bankrolled them to domestic and UEFA Cup glory. Dynamo Kiev are still top dog though.

did he make them change the club colours

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:34 pm

The history of Merthyr and indeed the valley all the way down to Cardiff is probably, nah f**k it, it is, one of the lost gems of British Industrial History and Heritage. From a young age I've been interested in Industrial Archaeology and as luck would have it started in life on some fairly heavy Civil Engineering Projects in the area.

If those clowns at the so called WAG took their heads out of each others arse holes and read some of the papers on the Industrial History of an area that is "just up the road" they'd have a World Heritage site on their hands. The amount of discoveries and technology that was developed there is outstanding. There's still enough buried, hidden or otherwise disguised to keep "Time Team" occupied for the next 200 years!

I'll stop here as this could develop into a very, very long post.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:41 pm

MAESTEG BLUE wrote:
TheLad wrote:This stadium was opened a few years back, they have a billionaire owner who loves Brazilian players who has bankrolled them to domestic and UEFA Cup glory. Dynamo Kiev are still top dog though.

Not that I know, i think he just provided the money to make them into a massive club with a fantastic stadium. ;)

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:43 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
MAESTEG BLUE wrote:

Not that I know, i think he just provided the money to make them into a massive club with a fantastic stadium. ;)

hope our lot will do the same
but time will tell

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:30 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Donetsk which is one of the biggest city's in the Ukraine and home of their main stadium,I think I'm right in saying was built from scratch by a man from Merthyr Tydfil who opened the first coal mine there many years ago and the rest as they say is history. :old:

The 'Merthyr' connection goes even deeper........Donetsk is also full of Eastern Europeans!!!!!! :o :roll:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Also whilst on the subject, I'm sure there 's Welsh link with one of the top German clubs, possibly Schalke, hope someone can let us know. :ayatollah: