Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HISTORY OF CCFC ..... DO YOU REALLY CARE?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:04 pm

A lot of fans against this change from blue to red I bet know absolutely f**k all about cardiffs history and just remember cardiff from when they first saw them play .... Can any supporter on here actually name the 11 players from 1927 or do they know who lived at number 1 coldstream cresent the time when cardiff city were formed or what 23 mark street means to fans! ... Anyone know what george latham did at cardiff or how the saying 'back to square one' came about? .... I think most supporters against the blue shirt change haven't got a f**king clue!

Re: HISTORY OF CCFC ..... DO YOU REALLY CARE?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:09 pm

AHERNE wrote:A lot of fans against this change from blue to red I bet know absolutely f**k all about cardiffs history and just remember cardiff from when they first saw them play .... Can any supporter on here actually name the 11 players from 1927 or do they know who lived at number 1 coldstream cresent the time when cardiff city were formed or what 23 mark street means to fans! ... Anyone know what george latham did at cardiff or how the saying 'back to square one' came about? .... I think most supporters against the blue shirt change haven't got a f**king clue!

such a pointless thread :oops:

so what if they havent!?

for any particular fan it's about the club's history as they know it, and as they've seen it!

grow up and stop looking for conflict

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 pm

My point is .... If your so concerned about what cardiff have worn for 80 years then at least know what happened in those 80 years! .... Cardiffs founder change our kit himself in the early days himself ffs!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Must admit i have no idea on any of your "posers" but would love to be enlightend a,hearne. :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:29 pm

back to square one came from when they broadcast the footy on the radio. people had a grid with numbered squars on so they coukld keep up with the game.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 pm

AHERNE wrote:My point is .... If your so concerned about what cardiff have worn for 80 years then at least know what happened in those 80 years! .... Cardiffs founder change our kit himself in the early days himself ffs!

Interesting point about Bartley Wilson. The first known picture of Riverside FC [in b&w] does not show them wearing a quarter amber, chocolate shirt.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:35 pm

supercoops wrote:Must admit i have no idea on any of your "posers" but would love to be enlightend a,hearne. :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Well the 27 cup side can be looked up anywhere, so I won't go there! ... George latham was cardiffs coach who got called up to play at 42 and is cardiffs oldest outfield player and he was a war hero too! ... Coldstream cresent was bartleys home and in a shed in the back garden of mark street was riverside fcs clubhouse! ... Both streets are still there now and worth a visit just for old times sake! ... Red or blue its still cardiff city BUT cardiff city 2012

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:40 pm

AHERNE wrote:
supercoops wrote:Must admit i have no idea on any of your "posers" but would love to be enlightend a,hearne. :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Well the 27 cup side can be looked up anywhere, so I won't go there! ... George latham was cardiffs coach who got called up to play at 42 and is cardiffs oldest outfield player and he was a war hero too! ... Coldstream cresent was bartleys home and in a shed in the back garden of mark street was riverside fcs clubhouse! ... Both streets are still there now and worth a visit just for old times sake! ... Red or blue its still cardiff city BUT cardiff city 2012

Bartley Wilson, originally from Bristol, is buried in Western cemetery, in a plot not to far from my grandparents. RIP.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Might be putting myself up for even more slagging now, but I ain't the slightest bit traditionalist at all, spent half my life in Ninian Park, but couldn't wait to slam the door and get to the new stadium, I can't remember svcore and players from last year let alone thirty years ago.

If anyone has read my book (available in all good book stores, put that in to keep annis happy. :lol: ) i even write in there that dates times and score etc have never really registered with me, i got more chance of remembering a good scrap, pitch invasion or even a new song etc anything but the game to be honest, it just all morphs into one memory.

However I am proud of who we are I am proud of our identity and sense of belonging, and to be honest to being better and different to other clubs fans.

But as for History, it's hardly great is it, 92 league clubs, the FA cuop been goiung for 130 years and we have won it once, fantastic but hardly earth moving on the grand scale of things, most of my time as seen us yo yoing up and down the lower divisions.

We have faced more adversity and anti Cardiff bias as a club than any club in the country perhaps barring Millwall, but I think that's made us stronger and given us our unique identity, possibly why the atmosphere at the ground is tempered a bit, we now have new facilities, we are now far more acceptable, almost part of the football establishment and we gone a bit soft, not what I want, but possibly part of progress and a new future where we prove ourselves on the pitch and not just off it. ;) ;)

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Good post Gwyn, if i may say so.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:54 pm

AHERNE wrote:A lot of fans against this change from blue to red I bet know absolutely f**k all about cardiffs history and just remember cardiff from when they first saw them play .... Can any supporter on here actually name the 11 players from 1927 or do they know who lived at number 1 coldstream cresent the time when cardiff city were formed or what 23 mark street means to fans! ... Anyone know what george latham did at cardiff or how the saying 'back to square one' came about? .... I think most supporters against the blue shirt change haven't got a f**king clue

!
I think most supporters against the blue shirt change haven't got a f**king clue

oh dear :?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:00 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:
AHERNE wrote:A lot of fans against this change from blue to red I bet know absolutely f**k all about cardiffs history and just remember cardiff from when they first saw them play .... Can any supporter on here actually name the 11 players from 1927 or do they know who lived at number 1 coldstream cresent the time when cardiff city were formed or what 23 mark street means to fans! ... Anyone know what george latham did at cardiff or how the saying 'back to square one' came about? .... I think most supporters against the blue shirt change haven't got a f**king clue!

such a pointless thread :oops:

so what if they havent!?
for any particular fan it's about the club's history as they know it, and as they've seen it!

grow up and stop looking for conflict

well fuckin said ! :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:06 pm

This is exactly the post we needed to see.Because its proof that Cardiff City's history will NEVER be lost and one day we will be repeating the same sort of thing to future generations saying "i remember when the clubs' investors said we had to be red"! and "there was uproar at the time"! but at the end of the day as unpopular that it is at the moment even our re-branding will be Cardiff City history. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:32 pm

AHERNE wrote:My point is .... If your so concerned about what cardiff have worn for 80 years then at least know what happened in those 80 years! .... Cardiffs founder change our kit himself in the early days himself ffs!

Haven't you just totally undermined your point there???

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:47 pm

rob wrote:back to square one came from when they broadcast the footy on the radio. people had a grid with numbered squars on so they coukld keep up with the game.

Actually that's an urban myth. I think the 27 cup final was the first match live on radio but the square one thing is only a theory. Nobody really knows the origin of the saying

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
rob wrote:back to square one came from when they broadcast the footy on the radio. people had a grid with numbered squars on so they coukld keep up with the game.

Actually that's an urban myth. I think the 27 cup final was the first match live on radio but the square one thing is only a theory. Nobody really knows the origin of the saying

I thought I'd read (around the time of the 2008 Final) that they're not absolutely certain, but it's very probable that it came from the Radio Times guide that was done in 1927 with the numbered squared referred to above for the Cup Final between us and Arsenal.

I'm probably labering the point here now, but we wore a Dragon (a Red one) as the centrepiece of our badge that day - (my Grandad actually went to the game) and we never had a bluebird on the badge until the late 1950's. We also wore a very diffrent shade of blue to the one we've played in over the years as well (a sky blue colour that we had for about 4 years in the mid 1920's).

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:38 am

BigGwynram wrote:Might be putting myself up for even more slagging now, but I ain't the slightest bit traditionalist at all, spent half my life in Ninian Park, but couldn't wait to slam the door and get to the new stadium, I can't remember svcore and players from last year let alone thirty years ago.

If anyone has read my book (available in all good book stores, put that in to keep annis happy. :lol: ) i even write in there that dates times and score etc have never really registered with me, i got more chance of remembering a good scrap, pitch invasion or even a new song etc anything but the game to be honest, it just all morphs into one memory.

However I am proud of who we are I am proud of our identity and sense of belonging, and to be honest to being better and different to other clubs fans.

But as for History, it's hardly great is it, 92 league clubs, the FA cuop been goiung for 130 years and we have won it once, fantastic but hardly earth moving on the grand scale of things, most of my time as seen us yo yoing up and down the lower divisions.

We have faced more adversity and anti Cardiff bias as a club than any club in the country perhaps barring Millwall, but I think that's made us stronger and given us our unique identity, possibly why the atmosphere at the ground is tempered a bit, we now have new facilities, we are now far more acceptable, almost part of the football establishment and we gone a bit soft, not what I want, but possibly part of progress and a new future where we prove ourselves on the pitch and not just off it. ;) ;)

Bloody hooligan :lol: :lol:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:

I thought I'd read (around the time of the 2008 Final) that they're not absolutely certain, but it's very probable that it came from the Radio Times guide that was done in 1927 with the numbered squared referred to above for the Cup Final between us and Arsenal.

I'm probably labering the point here now, but we wore a Dragon (a Red one) as the centrepiece of our badge that day - (my Grandad actually went to the game) and we never had a bluebird on the badge until the late 1950's. We also wore a very diffrent shade of blue to the one we've played in over the years as well (a sky blue colour that we had for about 4 years in the mid 1920's).

I agree with you the the kit evolving. The thing with the square one was that they reckon I've that we're true square one would probably be a corner. Do back to square 1 doesn't make sense in that context. Like I said though its only a theory as they don't really know. You would think the radio times would have an archive that could confirm either way