Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I havent been down the city since they sold toshack.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Anyone else been told that? When i started going down ninian park in the 70s i used to hear older people say it quite a lot ( taxi drivers, pub landlords,ect) and " we would've went up if we never sold toshack" and " f**k em, never been back since".

I was to young to remember the days of toshack so i just used to laugh.

Now im older i can understand, the club crossed the line, they took their trust, and the oldies were not going to let em forget it, and that was just a player sold.. Now im a bit older i can understand how watching toshack ( just a player) go on to win honours for liverpool must have hurt.

Now with the re brand i know now maybe i shouldnt have laughed, shouldnt of taken the piss, shouldnt have mocked, shouldnt ha

ve thought they are just the old school, get over it, times move on ect, ect, ect.

This past week with the re brand issue, i understand exactly how they felt.

Re: I havent been down the city since they sold toshack.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Who do they go to watch toshack or cardiff city fc? I could never stop watching them as long as cardiff city fc is the name ill be there. No player/colour/owner is bigger than that

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:30 pm

BluebirdJM wrote:Who do they go to watch toshack or cardiff city fc? I could never stop watching them as long as cardiff city fc is the name ill be there. No player/colour/owner is bigger than that

I think you have missed jama's point :old:

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:33 pm

BluebirdJM wrote:Who do they go to watch toshack or cardiff city fc? I could never stop watching them as long as cardiff city fc is the name ill be there. No player/colour/owner is bigger than that

I for years thought the same thing. Now im older i understand the thinking, its not just a player, its the trust. Its an invisible line that should not be crossed, a tipping point that most people have. Without it, no matter how succsessful we can never go forward united.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:40 pm

The two events -
Toshack and now are similar but different too.

Toshack was having your deam taken from you.
This is supposedly for us to have a dream realised.

Although both events have crushed faith.

as ive said previously -
i'm struggling to deal with the whole corporate crap that was football, since sitting in the CCS that first seaon - whats it all about???

but what ive been told is the club is over a barrel after the years of mis-management and the funding/clearance of debt is critical not to get wound up and cease trading.

They lost a lot when Toshack went
Will lightning strike twice? :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:55 pm

eddiep wrote:The two events -
Toshack and now are similar but different too.

Toshack was having your deam taken from you.
This is supposedly for us to have a dream realised.

Although both events have crushed faith.

as ive said previously -
i'm struggling to deal with the whole corporate crap that was football, since sitting in the CCS that first seaon - whats it all about???

but what ive been told is the club is over a barrel after the years of mis-management and the funding/clearance of debt is critical not to get wound up and cease trading.

They lost a lot when Toshack went
Will lightning strike twice? :ayatollah:

Only if your dream is to watch Cardiff play in red at home.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:51 pm

The toshack issue was massive news at the time. The story hit all the national papers. The club tried to sell him to another club a couple of weeks before ( cant remember what club, may have been chelsea) toshack refused to go. There was a massive tug of war between the fans and the board. The board said it was essential and unconditinal for the club to move forward and they must be trusted.

The sale of toshack was the start of a 30 year decline in the clubs fortunes, only to be revived under the sam hamman era.

Cardiff city had gone top of the league the week they sold toshack to liverpool.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:54 pm

jama wrote:The toshack issue was massive news at the time. The story hit all the national papers. The club tried to sell him to another club a couple of weeks before ( cant remember what club, may have been chelsea) toshack refused to go. There was a massive tug of war between the fans and the board. The board said it was essential and unconditinal for the club to move forward and they must be trusted.

The sale of toshack was the start of a 30 year decline in the clubs fortunes, only to be revived under the sam hamman era.

Cardiff city had gone top of the league the week they sold toshack to liverpool.

And just like the hasty owners We have now the owners didn't think things out properly, It is fact that Mr Shankley only offered half of what He was prepared to pay for Tosh to leave room for bargaining, He couldnt believe His luck when the first offer was excepted with glee by the Cardiff Board. Hence Shankey's famous words in regards to Toshack (I'D AV PAYIIIIIIIIID DOUBLE) He was serious!! :old:

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:58 pm

i remember a city old boy saying he supported liverpool for a couple of seasons after toshack signed for them.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:16 pm

Leighton James Dont Like uS wrote:
jama wrote:The toshack issue was massive news at the time. The story hit all the national papers. The club tried to sell him to another club a couple of weeks before ( cant remember what club, may have been chelsea) toshack refused to go. There was a massive tug of war between the fans and the board. The board said it was essential and unconditinal for the club to move forward and they must be trusted.

And just like the hasty owners We have now the owners didn't think things out properly, It is fact that Mr Shankley only offered half of what He was prepared to pay for Tosh to leave room for bargaining, He couldnt believe His luck when the first offer was excepted with glee by the Cardiff Board. Hence Shankey's famous words in regards to Toshack (I'D AV PAYIIIIIIIIID DOUBLE) He was serious!! :old:

Thanks for telling me that, i didnt know. Ccfc, crazy.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:44 pm

We seem to have been a breeding ground for Premiership clubs (and old First Division) for many years....Haworth, Blake, Delaney, Earnie, Collins, Gabbidon, Jerome, Johnson and many more. For me this was a combination of lack of ambition and funds. Time for change I think....let's continue what we started with Joe Mason and bring in the talent at bargain prices keeping our best players in the process.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Stan_B wrote:We seem to have been a breeding ground for Premiership clubs (and old First Division) for many years....Haworth, Blake, Delaney, Earnie, Collins, Gabbidon, Jerome, Johnson and many more. For me this was a combination of lack of ambition and funds. Time for change I think....let's continue what we started with Joe Mason and bring in the talent at bargain prices keeping our best players in the process.

What? A handful of players over the last three decades is hardly a breeding ground. Every one of those players aside from Delaney failed miserably at the highest level, no loss.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:12 pm

jama wrote:Anyone else been told that? When i started going down ninian park in the 70s i used to hear older people say it quite a lot ( taxi drivers, pub landlords,ect) and " we would've went up if we never sold toshack" and " f**k em, never been back since".

Now im older i can understand, the club crossed the line, they took their trust, and the oldies were not going to let em forget it, and that was just a player sold.. Now im a bit older i can understand how watching toshack ( just a player) go on to win honours for liverpool must have hurt.

Now with the re brand i know now maybe i shouldnt have laughed, shouldnt of taken the piss, shouldnt have mocked, shouldnt ha

ve thought they are just the old school, get over it, times move on ect, ect, ect.

Well they have missed out on some great games over the years balls to them

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:03 pm

jinks-rct wrote:
jama wrote:Anyone else been told that? When i started going down ninian park in the 70s i used to hear older people say it quite a lot ( taxi drivers, pub landlords,ect) and " we would've went up if we never sold toshack" and " f**k em, never been back since".

Well they have missed out on some great games over the years balls to them

yeah jinks all them trips to rochdale whilst poor old tosh went and liverpool nosedived into winning league titles. Our board played a blinder.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Yep My Cuz and a gang of us use to go all over the place with Cardiff City In them days. Tosh & Clark were great ,and people were right when they said we would have gone up. But Tosh went and the rest as they say is History.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:53 pm

-B L O Ǔ Z Σ- wrote:
Stan_B wrote:We seem to have been a breeding ground for Premiership clubs (and old First Division) for many years....Haworth, Blake, Delaney, Earnie, Collins, Gabbidon, Jerome, Johnson and many more. For me this was a combination of lack of ambition and funds. Time for change I think....let's continue what we started with Joe Mason and bring in the talent at bargain prices keeping our best players in the process.

What? A handful of players over the last three decades is hardly a breeding ground. Every one of those players aside from Delaney failed miserably at the highest level, no loss.

None of them failed miserably. Some were out of their depth at times but the point is that at the time they were sold these were City's star players. How much of that money went into the Chairman's pockets and how much went into the club was another matter. We were seen as easy pickings, a club with no ambition.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:05 pm

It was gutting at the time, I was a season ticket holder in those days aswell, but I got over it and welcomed Alan Warboys to the club as Tosh's replacement, life and football moves on. :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: