Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

READ: IF you are Pro BLUE OR Pro RED

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:57 pm

I have been a Cardiff fan all my life, all 24 years and my first game involved a 3-3 draw in the old third divison against Rotherham United. I have been a season ticket holder since that time. Since then Cardiff have ALWAYS played in BLUE. THE BLUEBIRDS.

Since that time ALOT has obviously changed, but not just our colour, crest or stadium.

When i First started watching Cardiff in the old 3rd Division there were only a 'couple' thousand of fans still watching them at home; including small minority of away fans.

We have since been promoted all the way back to the Championship and with it regularly get 20k plus; THIS has NOT always been so. It is fantastic that we have increased our support but not everyone who attends the CCS has always stuck by CCFC and that is a fact.

We also have a historically crippling debt and the world (especially Europe) is in the throws of a Recession. The club has been placed under embargo, winding up orders and 11th hour debt re-structuring protocols in the last five years. In honesty we have been close to NOT having a club to support at all. One not in existence. The new Financial Fair Play Rules (FFP) state that clubs in Europe can no longer spend more than they earn. WE earn around 6-8m a year approximately but we lose 10-12m (around a 1million per month). The FFP rules mean that we CANNOT spend money we don't earn and we cannot spend money we earn if it is outweighed by our debt and our Court required repayment minimum.

There are some fans who have asked the Malaysians to sell as we are an 'attractive proposition'. The TRUTH is after due diligence is done the club just becomes a numbers balancing act to allow us to:-

(1) Pay off debt
(2) Stave off administration
(3) Asset Stripping (e.g. our Players)

In doing this we also need to:-

(1) Grow the club
(2) Stay competitive (as we are a club used to competing for PL football year in year out)
(3) Invest in the Team and Facilities

This is a massive investment and any investor expects a return which even the 90m available from securing PL football (if achieved) is not worth the risk when you consider the debt our club is in. We are therefore not attractive for investment; from a purely business perspective and football is now a business.

If I had the money I would invest and Cardiff would compete in the PL and we would wear BLUE and the Bluebird would be prominent. I however do not have 1.25 billion and if I did I would only put my money in because this is my boyhood club. It is NOT Vincent Tan's boyhood club; yet he has still put his money in and saved CCFC. For that I will forever be grateful.

Yes it has come at a price of turning RED. It will take getting used to. The badge is not that bad (in my opinion) - we have always had a Dragon on our shirts (either in the crest or symbolized by our Nations flag. The owners have now moved the Dragon to the foreground and the BLUEBIRD underneath. The badge still celebrates our history: it incorporates the colour Blue, the BLUEBIRD, our EST: 1899 and while Fire and Passion is new it is something every fan on ther CCS terraces mentions. We have all said this year how much we like MM passion compared to the lack of DJs. This shows that club understand how we think and how we talk.

I wish we still played in BLUE. We are now RED. The badge does not try to hide our past but instead overtly celebrates it. I am grateful to the board and DTG and VT for that. They never threatened to leave but stated that there are less options for investment without the re-brand and I am sure that their business advisers would have advised that they pull out; with the new FFP rules and the clubs debt. They HAVE STAYED. The Club has EVOLVED; as sad as it is to see our Blue heritage fall to the sidelines.

They have promised funds to get us into the PL and compete and promised to safeguard the long-term future of our club that we love. So that there is a club for our children to support in the future.

The fans are divided. I am not trying to anger anyone as I am aware that this will be broadcasted to the same people who I stand and cheer with in the CCS every other week and that when we are there as one - we all want the best for CARDIFF CITY. It is a fact however that the Malaysians have ensured that we still have a club to argue and debate over and again for that I am thankful.

Lets support the club, support each other and the owners and more importantly the TEAM. Lets celebrate our past, our history and our tradition. Please try and embrace the RED of our future. The red on our shirts and the red in our accountants books.

Football must honor tradition and history. It is the least our supporters and players of 'yesteryear' deserve and should expect. It does not however pay the bills or the taxman. Above tradition; all the people past and present that have supported CCFC DESERVE a CLUB. So does our future. It may not be in the colour we envisaged but at least we have a Future.

So to DTG and VT I personally Thank YOU for saving our club.

WE ARE CCFC - THE BLUEBIRDS. Together.

Re: READ: IF you are Pro BLUE OR Pro RED

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:14 pm

a lot of thought in your post mate.

in Wales: only time will tell on whether CCFC have been re-energised by this or this is a catastrophy to a club supported be many more than the 20,000 who now attend.

VT may inded have a soft spot - but dont forget - this is business and we fans are part of the loss leading products that is there to entice punters to buy other things.

Can Cardiff City return on an investment worldwide?

To date we have had limited success and can't attract top players so likelyhood is we are who we are - a mid range side - like jacks, Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Brighton, Middlesbro etc.
We are only rated in football by our hooligans - and thats gone now too.

I have no idea whther VT can transform us into a bigger club - like , leicester, Sheff Wed or Leeds.
we will never be a man u or an arsenal

so the risk is massive -
for VT - its business
for us - it's everything

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:20 pm

ross04LJ wrote:I have been a Cardiff fan all my life, all 24 years and my first game involved a 3-3 draw in the old third divison against Rotherham United. I have been a season ticket holder since that time. Since then Cardiff have ALWAYS played in BLUE. THE BLUEBIRDS.

Since that time ALOT has obviously changed, but not just our colour, crest or stadium.

When i First started watching Cardiff in the old 3rd Division there were only a 'couple' thousand of fans still watching them at home; including small minority of away fans.

We have since been promoted all the way back to the Championship and with it regularly get 20k plus; THIS has NOT always been so. It is fantastic that we have increased our support but not everyone who attends the CCS has always stuck by CCFC and that is a fact.

We also have a historically crippling debt and the world (especially Europe) is in the throws of a Recession. The club has been placed under embargo, winding up orders and 11th hour debt re-structuring protocols in the last five years. In honesty we have been close to NOT having a club to support at all. One not in existence. The new Financial Fair Play Rules (FFP) state that clubs in Europe can no longer spend more than they earn. WE earn around 6-8m a year approximately but we lose 10-12m (around a 1million per month). The FFP rules mean that we CANNOT spend money we don't earn and we cannot spend money we earn if it is outweighed by our debt and our Court required repayment minimum.

There are some fans who have asked the Malaysians to sell as we are an 'attractive proposition'. The TRUTH is after due diligence is done the club just becomes a numbers balancing act to allow us to:-

(1) Pay off debt

(1) Grow the club
(2) Stay competitive (as we are a club used to competing for PL football year in year out)

This is a massive investment and any investor expects a return which even the 90m available from securing PL football (if achieved) is not worth the risk when you consider the debt our club is in. We are therefore not attractive for investment; from a purely business perspective and football is now a business.

If I had the money I would invest and Cardiff would compete in the PL and we would wear BLUE and the Bluebird would be prominent. I however do not have 1.25 billion and if I did I would only put my money in because this is my boyhood club. It is NOT Vincent Tan's boyhood club; yet he has still put his money in and saved CCFC. For that I will forever be grateful.

Yes it has come at a price of turning RED. It will take getting used to. The badge is not that bad (in my opinion) - we have always had a Dragon on our shirts (either in the crest or symbolized by our Nations flag. The owners have now moved the Dragon to the foreground and the BLUEBIRD underneath. The badge still celebrates our history: it incorporates the colour Blue, the BLUEBIRD, our EST: 1899 and while Fire and Passion is new it is something every fan on ther CCS terraces mentions. We have all said this year how much we like MM passion compared to the lack of DJs. This shows that club understand how we think and how we talk.

I wish we still played in BLUE. We are now RED. The badge does not try to hide our past but instead overtly celebrates it. I am grateful to the board and DTG and VT for that. They never threatened to leave but stated that there are less options for investment without the re-brand and I am sure that their business advisers would have advised that they pull out; with the new FFP rules and the clubs debt. They HAVE STAYED. The Club has EVOLVED; as sad as it is to see our Blue heritage fall to the sidelines.

They have promised funds to get us into the PL and compete and promised to safeguard the long-term future of our club that we love. So that there is a club for our children to support in the future.

The fans are divided. I am not trying to anger anyone as I am aware that this will be broadcasted to the same people who I stand and cheer with in the CCS every other week and that when we are there as one - we all want the best for CARDIFF CITY. It is a fact however that the Malaysians have ensured that we still have a club to argue and debate over and again for that I am thankful.

Lets support the club, support each other and the owners and more importantly the TEAM. Lets celebrate our past, our history and our tradition. Please try and embrace the RED of our future. The red on our shirts and the red in our accountants books.

Football must honor tradition and history. It is the least our supporters and players of 'yesteryear' deserve and should expect. It does not however pay the bills or the taxman. Above tradition; all the people past and present that have supported CCFC DESERVE a CLUB. So does our future. It may not be in the colour we envisaged but at least we have a Future.

Excellent post I you have pretty much summed up how I feel, It will be strange visually at home but blue is not lost, we will be playing in blue away from home! I too am grateful we have wealthy owners. We are Cardiff City still and the bluebirds, the owners have stated this will not change! Come on city!!!

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:29 pm

ross04LJ wrote:I have been a Cardiff fan all my life, all 24 years and my first game involved a 3-3 draw in the old third divison against Rotherham United. I have been a season ticket holder since that time. Since then Cardiff have ALWAYS played in BLUE. THE BLUEBIRDS.

(1) Pay off debt

(1) Grow the club

Great Post.

Seems like one the official site would put out. :o

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Well said mate - excellent post summarising the position :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Top post Fellow Bluebird. we all still want to play in Blue ,but essentially we are still CARDIFF CITY FC.... and thats all i care about CARDIFF CITY FC...... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks Guys. It is everything to us and I do feel the board recognize that. Lets all support the boys and finally make the push to the Premier League.

Reply: SBF1 I'm not a club official - I have a law degree so I'm used to the writing style I guess, LOL. Not many more im portant briefs to put together than one on the BLUEBIRDS though IMO.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:54 pm

My dear ross04LJ just read your excellent post and i have to agree with most of what you wrote,two points i would like to make, first point. can we persuade the powers to be to change the colour of the seating to red,as it would look ridiculous for the team running out in red, faced with blue seating,you either embrace change completely or dont bother at all,and point two.again i would ask the powers to be to reconsider the style of the home strip(not the colour)to me it lacks style and imagination,and the badge desperately needs redesigning,i would advise that our boardroom wizz'kids look at the designs in todays South Wales Echo

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Great post mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:32 pm

ross04LJ wrote:Thanks Guys. It is everything to us and I do feel the board recognize that. Lets all support the boys and finally make the push to the Premier League.

Reply: SBF1 I'm not a club official - I have a law degree so I'm used to the writing style I guess, LOL. Not many more im portant briefs to put together than one on the BLUEBIRDS though IMO.

Okay mate, still a great post all the same. :D

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:56 pm

A superb post that says it all. If you won the £126m in tonights lottery there is no doubt that your financial advisors would not let you touch the club with a bargepole!
We have a billionaire who is prepared to take a punt on us......how lucky is that?

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:34 pm

angellis sorry but the echo designs are total shit imo obviously personaly dont mind our new badge large dragon small bird seems realistic to me i would of prefered the cardiff city lettering in blue not red but otherwise i can except it i wont be buying it any way will get the away shirts only :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: