Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MALAYSIAN'S WALKING AWAY

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:26 am

Oh my God, how desperate are some people becoming, Alan Whiteley says that the Malaysians never said they would simply walk away, and the world goes mad, we were lied to we were lied to.

Pleas anyone sensible reading the post please make your own minds up and also read between the lines.

Surely no one expected the Malaysians to issue a statement along the lines of, well f**k you, we were prepared to offer this massive investment but we asked you to make a change to the kit colour and for that big sacrifice we will show our commitment by investing millions and showing our long term aims and commitment.

What they said as expected was, we apologise for causing the upset and it wasn't our intention to do that, we will not force these changes on you, but also our vision for expansion and investment goes along with that. Now that on it's own would be bad enough.

But to then go on and say, however we will try, yes try to help the club look for new investors (yeh like that's going to happen) and also look to see if there are people out there who would like to buy the club, Now to me and I may be blinkered that's as good as saying, we are out of here first chance, I may be wrong, make your own minds up.

Are any of us gullible enough to think they would simply stay here propping up our clubs losses at over a million pounds a month, at best they would start trimming back on costs, sacking staff, paying players less, until we start losing more games than winning, dropping down the leagues, losing fans losing income etc and back in the shit.

OF COURSE THEY WOULDN'T JUST WALK AWAY, THEY WOULD MAKE A ORGANISED PLANNED RETREAT, BIT BY BIT.

Hopefully we have prevented that from happening and we are back on track, playing in red but back on track and hopefully stable and progressing.

MAKE YOUR OWN MINDS UP AS TO THE POSSIBLE OUTCOMES THAT COULD HAVE COME ABOUT.

Re: MALAYSIAN'S WALKING AWAY

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 am

only time will tell but in theory they could walk away with us owing them countless millions in loans
not having a pop but its not beyond the realms of possibility

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 am

Without their money gwyn i fear there would be no cardiff city,so playing in red but still having a club to support is a small price to pay imo

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 am

MAESTEG BLUE wrote:only time will tell but in theory they could walk away with us owing them countless millions in loans

They are now stuck with us as far as I see it, to have any chance of making a profit they have to make us successful, I can live with that. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 am

BigGwynram wrote:
MAESTEG BLUE wrote:only time will tell but in theory they could walk away with us owing them countless millions in loans

They are now stuck with us as far as I see it, to have any chance of making a profit they have to make us successful, I can live with that. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

GWYN i hope your right and you can say to me i told you so :ayatollah:

i have my doubts but what the f**k do i know :D
BLUEBIRDS :ayatollah:
im off out to get my once a blue always a blue t-shirt printed ;)

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:55 am

Agree we need to move on together , its still Cardiff City . I'll be there with my little pick and shovel, doing the ayotolla . No need to worry about colours , we still have and are bluebirds .wear blue wear red or like most of us , go casual .
The bluebird in the wild in the far east and the USA , its chest turns red , when its threatened , check google .

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:57 am

Agree we need to move on together , its still Cardiff City . I'll be there with my little pick and shovel, doing the ayotolla . No need to worry about colours , we still have and are bluebirds .wear blue wear red or like most of us , go casual .
The bluebird in the wild in the far east and the USA , its chest turns red , when its threatened , check google .

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:57 am

People who think they will just walk away and leave us in the shit with mass debt,Need to also understand the Malaysians wouldn't feel a financial benef, simply because we would fold and wipe away most of our debt.

However should they make us a profitable BUSINESS then if they sold us they could a make a pretty penny.

However all of the above is hypothetical

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:04 am

I agree with Alan Whiteley because I have not read any statement from TG which says that VT would walk away from the club because of the apparent unpopularity of the proposed rebranding. In his open letter to fans TG actually said;

"We will now reassess in conjunction with the board of the club the future strategy and the further ongoing investment necessary to allow the club to continue to trade. This may include looking for new and additional partners and investors"

I'm no accountant but I believe in the UK that it is illegal for a business to knowingly trade whilst insolvent, and without VT or someone else with deep pockets, that's what Cardiff City FC is. So any reassessment is only good business practice in my opinion. Be it new investment from VT or any new additional investor or as you suggest Gwyn costs within the business are cut to the point where the club no longer has losses in excess of £1m a month is just good business practice.

I always believed that once the dust had settled on this that the club would take notice of the "Silent Majority" of fans who whilst not being comfortable with the change of colour would accept it because it would be in the best interests of the club at this moment in time. Like it or not the board, TG & VT have taken note of the voice of the silent majority and thats why the rebranding plans are back on.

I have been dismayed by some of the things posted about TG & VT over the last few days and some of the more vitriolic things have disgusted me.

My opinion of both TG & VT is that they are men of dignity, integrity and above all else honour and thats why I trust them. I'm not comfortable with changing colours but I am prepared to accept it along with the rest of the silent majority and I hope their rebranding plans are a huge success.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:05 am

BigGwynram wrote:Oh my God, how desperate are some people becoming, Alan Whiteley says that the Malaysians never said they would simply walk away, and the world goes mad, we were lied to we were lied to.

Pleas anyone sensible reading the post please make your own minds up and also read between the lines.

Surely no one expected the Malaysians to issue a statement along the lines of, well f**k you, we were prepared to offer this massive investment but we asked you to make a change to the kit colour and for that big sacrifice we will show our commitment by investing millions and showing our long term aims and commitment.

What they said as expected was, we apologise for causing the upset and it wasn't our intention to do that, we will not force these changes on you, but also our vision for expansion and investment goes along with that. Now that on it's own would be bad enough.

But to then go on and say, however we will try, yes try to help the club look for new investors (yeh like that's going to happen) and also look to see if there are people out there who would like to buy the club, Now to me and I may be blinkered that's as good as saying, we are out of here first chance, I may be wrong, make your own minds up.

Are any of us gullible enough to think they would simply stay here propping up our clubs losses at over a million pounds a month, at best they would start trimming back on costs, sacking staff, paying players less, until we start losing more games than winning, dropping down the leagues, losing fans losing income etc and back in the shit.

OF COURSE THEY WOULDN'T JUST WALK AWAY, THEY WOULD MAKE A ORGANISED PLANNED RETREAT, BIT BY BIT.

Hopefully we have prevented that from happening and we are back on track, playing in red but back on track and hopefully stable and progressing.

Gwyn you are of the same opinion as me and I totally agree with you, people who read this are using this statement to prove the Malaysians we never going to walk away and are still questioning the re-brand.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:12 am

castleblue wrote:I agree with Alan Whiteley because I have not read any statement from TG which says that VT would walk away from the club because of the apparent unpopularity of the proposed rebranding. In his open letter to fans TG actually said;

"We will now reassess in conjunction with the board of the club the future strategy and the further ongoing investment necessary to allow the club to continue to trade. This may include looking for new and additional partners and investors"

I'm no accountant but I believe in the UK that it is illegal for a business to knowingly trade whilst insolvent, and without VT or someone else with deep pockets, that's what Cardiff City FC is. So any reassessment is only good business practice in my opinion. Be it new investment from VT or any new additional investor or as you suggest Gwyn costs within the business are cut to the point where the club no longer has losses in excess of £1m a month is just good business practice.

I always believed that once the dust had settled on this that the club would take notice of the "Silent Majority" of fans who whilst not being comfortable with the change of colour would accept it because it would be in the best interests of the club at this moment in time. Like it or not the board, TG & VT have taken note of the voice of the silent majority and thats why the rebranding plans are back on.

I have been dismayed by some of the things posted about TG & VT over the last few days and some of the more vitriolic things have disgusted me.

My opinion of both TG & VT is that they are men of dignity, integrity and above all else honour and thats why I trust them. I'm not comfortable with changing colours but I am prepared to accept it along with the rest of the silent majority and I hope their rebranding plans are a huge success.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:44 am

castleblue wrote:I agree with Alan Whiteley because I have not read any statement from TG which says that VT would walk away from the club because of the apparent unpopularity of the proposed rebranding. In his open letter to fans TG actually said;

Spot on my old mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:50 am

MAESTEG BLUE wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:

GWYN i hope your right and you can say to me i told you so :ayatollah:

i have my doubts but what the f**k do i know :D
BLUEBIRDS :ayatollah:
im off out to get my once a blue always a blue t-shirt printed ;)

FELLA, I will be the last one to say I told you so, it's not about me proving I was right, because seriously that don't matter, what matters is it all works out for the best, I wont be gloating because i was right, hopefully I'll be gloating because we are in the top of half of the Premier league and financially secure and a strong established club, then i'll gloat, but not at my fellow Cardiff fans. ;)

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:04 am

I don't know them from Adam but what seems obvious to me is, you don't acquire 1.25 billion from scratch and become the 9th richest man in Malaysia if you don't know how to invest money wisely.

I am devastated about losing the kit but their is nothing anybody can do to change that. I see that the best thing we can do now is protest quietly but get behind the club. I don't see how they could now not invest the money, yes they did do a u turn on the kit change but what choice do they have if they are losing money? Perhaps there were no viable alternatives and changing opinions lead them to do it.

Its a business in the end and business have to move with the times to survive. My company just re-branded itself and nobody complained mainly because it actually looks better and people think it will help keep them in a job. The difference here is rather than just feeling like its giving you security it actually feels like it is stripping away your identity, which is a huge price to pay I agree. Unfortunately it is better to have a re-branded successful club than a struggling club or no club at all in my opinion.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:10 am

lyndipops wrote:I don't know them from Adam but what seems obvious to me is, you don't acquire 1.25 billion from scratch and become the 9th richest man in Malaysia if you don't know how to invest money wisely.

I am devastated about losing the kit but their is nothing anybody can do to change that. I see that the best thing we can do now is protest quietly but get behind the club. I don't see how they could now not invest the money, yes they did do a u turn on the kit change but what choice do they have if they are losing money? Perhaps there were no viable alternatives and changing opinions lead them to do it.

Its a business in the end and business have to move with the times to survive. My company just re-branded itself and nobody complained mainly because it actually looks better and people think it will help keep them in a job. The difference here is rather than just feeling like its giving you security it actually feels like it is stripping away your identity, which is a huge price to pay I agree. Unfortunately it is better to have a re-branded successful club than a struggling club or no club at all in my opinion.

Bang on!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:11 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Oh my God, how desperate are some people becoming, Alan Whiteley says that the Malaysians never said they would simply walk away, and the world goes mad, we were lied to we were lied to.

Gwyn you were one of the main characters who were using the walking away scenario to justify your argument and there is no denying this.You even went on to paint scenarios of going into the lower divisions or administration. Although you are completely entitled to this opinion, it was used by you as part of a sustained campaign by the pro red side in order to aid the acceptance of rebranding.
Although you claim you are not a fans leader, you still have (like it or not) significant influence which gives you a powerful platform which includes national media.This influence was used not only to get you own opinion across but it had the effect of influencing fans into thinking that the doomsday scenario was imminent unless we accepted the rebranding.
This of course might have been a possibility in the future but was not as imminent as protrayed and left fans thinking that there was no credible alternative but to reluctantly accept the rebranding plans.
What is transpiring right now is a realisation by fans that they have been misled in regards to rebranding and that the Alan Whitely statement is the first official confimation that there were no plans for our investors to walk away.
I am confident that many fans would have not so readily acceted the rebranding if they thought that the Malaysians were staying and fans are now realising that they have been somewhat duped.
We can both puff out our chests and argue till we are blue (or red for you) in the face but the fans are clearly divided on this issue and this will only change when and if the rebranding plan is revisited. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:14 pm

The Malaysians never intended to walk away, that's a fact. And just because we dont want to hurt their feelings we say thank you when they stabb us supporters in the back? They lied to us, end of. Just like Sam and Riddler, I have no trust in them.

There is no logical reason for the rebrand, and to do it like they are doing it, it hurts a lot of supporters. I feel the club that I love is torn apart. I became a Cardiff fan in 1990, I was 18 at the time. Leaving Ninian was bad enough, and to tear it apart was even worse. But now they are taking the last thing, our identity, which is represented on our club crest. Sam changed the crest, I wasnt in favour of it, but at least it was a Cardiff City/Bluebirds crest. The current one is not a badge I can identify with.
If we would have a guaranteed blue shirt as change strip as long as we play in red at home, I am fine with it. But the rebrand they have done now is unacceptable, would rather go back where we were in 1990 than playing in the premiership with this.

And you really think there's nobody going to invest into us now? We have a new stadium, good fanbase, high profile and are known in the football-world outside the UK. If we need to bring in new guys in addition to the Malaysians it is possible. And even if TG decides to sell the club, there would be guys out there to take over. The scenario now is simular to the doom & gloom we had when Sam threatened to leave us. He wanted to destroy us if he didnt get his way, where is he now? Did we learn the lesson in not letting these "buisiness-men" running and fukkin around with our football club? No we didnt.

If its necessary to go down in the leagues again to come back as a club where supporters/members have a say, I am all for it.

Why is it possible here in Germany? The only club controlled by a rich guy is Hoffenheim, all others have a different structure.

The ordinary fan can become a member and pay his membership fees into the club (e.g. 62 Euros annual at Borussia Dortmund). In return (besides being able to buy early bird tickets for cup games etc) he has a vote in the members annual meeting/assembly and can vote for or against the board and their proposals. The board stand elections every few years, but need to present everything they do to the assembly.

Then you have the "Aufsichtsrat" (Supervisory board), which controls finances, the business side of the club, expenditure and the work of the board. The Supervisory board is usually a group of businessmen, ex-players etc, and they give the go ahead and provide some of the funding into the club too.

Without the Supervisory board, the board (chairman etc) cannot make any big decisions, and without the board, the Supervisory board cannot make any big decisions either. They each hold 50% of the football club...

I dont wanna show off and say everything's better in Germany (I follow Cardiff and not a Bundesliga side, altho having a softspot for Schalke and Offenbach), but I do like that setup that clubs have.

As a result, the Bundesliga is highly attractive, they do listen to its fans, low ticketprices, full grounds, successful marketing, heavy sponsorship, good image etc.

Surely there is mismanagement at some clubs (e.g. Cologne, who just got relegated have financial problems), but they recover in the lower leagues and then go up again, cos the fans identify with their clubs. 1860 München played in front of 20000 every home game in the 4th league some time ago, taking 2000-5000 away week in week out.

Fortuna Düsseldorf clinched promotion to the Bundesliga a few weeks back, took em some time to recover from their crash a few seasons ago, went down to the 4th divison also, but here they are again. Financially in a very good state, highly attractive to sponsors, big gates etc.

Would love to have something like this at the City, and I am sure 99% of you wouldnt hesitate to become club members and have a say too within the club. Things like changing colours, the name or even moving to another location, would only be possible with the consent (?) of the members, board and Supervisory board. A rebrand like we have it is unthinkable over here.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Gwyn you were one of the main characters who were using the walking away scenario to justify your argument and there is no denying this.

Why would i deny it, of course I said it, but as you say i used it as a scenario, isn't that what it was, didn't I say there's a few scenarios and they worry me, isn't that the case, I didn't know what they would do, but stopping the investment was one scenario, walking away was another one, lot's of scenarios, but i didn't want to take the gamble at the risk of harming the club, did you?

You even went on to paint scenarios of going into the lower divisions or administration. Although you are completely entitled to this opinion, it was used by you as part of a sustained campaign by the pro red side in order to aid the acceptance of rebranding.

And do you 100% believe there was no chance at all that it could have happened, if there is a chance it could have happened, isn't that what they call a scenario.

Although you claim you are not a fans leader, you still have (like it or not) significant influence which gives you a powerful platform which includes national media.This influence was used not only to get you own opinion across but it had the effect of influencing fans into thinking that the doomsday scenario was imminent unless we accepted the rebranding.

Of course I would use that platform to give my opinion, other people with opposing views had the same platform to air their views didn't they, are you saying the only platform given should have been to those against the changes?

This of course might have been a possibility in the future but was not as imminent as protrayed and left fans thinking that there was no credible alternative but to reluctantly accept the rebranding plans.

Shouldn't we just let the fans take in the information, views and opinions that are out there and then make their own minds up, but surely, that's what they have done isn't it?

What is transpiring right now is a realisation by fans that they have been misled in regards to rebranding and that the Alan Whitely statement is the first official confimation that there were no plans for our investors to walk away.
I am confident that many fans would have not so readily acceted the rebranding if they thought that the Malaysians were staying and fans are now realising that they have been somewhat duped.

How have they been misled, they were told there were a number of possibilities open to them, and now it looks like after the fans have supported their proposals they have agreed to go back to their original plan and provide the investment the majority of us wanted.

We can both puff out our chests and argue till we are blue (or red for you) in the face but the fans are clearly divided on this issue and this will only change when and if the rebranding plan is revisited. :ayatollah:[/quote]

Why will the majority of fans who accept it suddenly going to be happy when the rebranding plan is revisited, I think the majority of us are relieved now and accepted the outcome and now look forward in eager anticipation.
:ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:50 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Gwyn you were one of the main characters who were using the walking away scenario to justify your argument and there is no denying this.

Why would i deny it, of course I said it, but as you say i used it as a scenario, isn't that what it was, didn't I say there's a few scenarios and they worry me, isn't that the case, I didn't know what they would do, but stopping the investment was one scenario, walking away was another one, lot's of scenarios, but i didn't want to take the gamble at the risk of harming the club, did you?

You even went on to paint scenarios of going into the lower divisions or administration. Although you are completely entitled to this opinion, it was used by you as part of a sustained campaign by the pro red side in order to aid the acceptance of rebranding.

And do you 100% believe there was no chance at all that it could have happened, if there is a chance it could have happened, isn't that what they call a scenario.

Of course I would use that platform to give my opinion, other people with opposing views had the same platform to air their views didn't they, are you saying the only platform given should have been to those against the changes?

Shouldn't we just let the fans take in the information, views and opinions that are out there and then make their own minds up, but surely, that's what they have done isn't it?

How have they been misled, they were told there were a number of possibilities open to them, and now it looks like after the fans have supported their proposals they have agreed to go back to their original plan and provide the investment the majority of us wanted.

We can both puff out our chests and argue till we are blue (or red for you) in the face but the fans are clearly divided on this issue and this will only change when and if the rebranding plan is revisited. :ayatollah:

Why will the majority of fans who accept it suddenly going to be happy when the rebranding plan is revisited, I think the majority of us are relieved now and accepted the outcome and now look forward in eager anticipation.
:ayatollah:[/quote]
Gwyn there are serious divisions still and you can gloss over them if you wish but we both know that there is still trouble ahead. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Castle there are times when I think you and me are the same person because your views are my views :lol:

Agree with every dam word (again) well done mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:03 pm

A reduced level of investment but still keeping our identity by playing in blue with the Bluebird Club-crest would have been one option but that was never on the table Gwyn.

StT.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:A reduced level of investment but still keeping our identity by playing in blue with the Bluebird Club-crest would have been one option but that was never on the table Gwyn.

StT.

That could have been a sensible option but we do not have fans reps with the skills to negotiate such a compromise. In fact Gwyn went on national TV and stated who did we think we were for even asking for consultation so what hope have you got when people invited to the meeting don't think you should have a say in the first place. :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Gwyn, there is not a cardiff city fan anywhere in the world who could disagree with what you have written, are there city fans who think that vt would have stepped back and said "ok, sorry for the missunderstanding, (rebranding) but i,ll still give the club over a million pound a mounth until the end of time ????????

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:A reduced level of investment but still keeping our identity by playing in blue with the Bluebird Club-crest would have been one option but that was never on the table Gwyn.

StT.

That could have been a sensible option but we do not have fans reps with the skills to negotiate such a compromise. In fact Gwyn went on national TV and stated who did we think we were for even asking for consultation so what hope have you got when people invited to the meeting don't think you should have a say in the first place. :ayatollah:

It's usually preferable to negotiate from a position of strength, but with the reported £70 ish million debt, then unless you know of somebody with very deep pockets, then none of us are in any such position to negotiate!

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Spot on Gwyn. A lot of naivety out there trying to support their trumped up conspiracy theories

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:

StT.

It's usually preferable to negotiate from a position of strength, but with the reported £70 ish million debt, then unless you know of somebody with very deep pockets, then none of us are in any such position to negotiate!

You don't need to be in a position of strength to negotiate. You agree with Gwyn yet he does not think that we deserve to negotiate at all. The huge dept you refer to has almost tripled since the Malaysian have just sat back on the dept and allowed it to get to this level so they should accept this responsibility and pay off what they have created. :ayatollah:
Last edited by Bluebird64 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:

StT.

How the hell could you have a reduced level of investment when they were pumping in 1mill a month us to keep us going ? and remember we still have creditors standing in the wings just waiting for any sign of us going down and they would have drag us into court to get what little money there was there.

As for them running down the club and looking for new guys to take over, well anyone know that to run it down and looking for new guys would in its self kill us off , as anyone looking to put money in would see all the problems and run like hell. To look for new guys to put money in and get some of there money back ,they would have to make it look like a good investment or no business guy would go near it.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:37 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:

StT.

How the hell could you have a reduced level of investment when they were pumping in 1mill a month us to keep us going ? and remember we still have creditors standing in the wings just waiting for any sign of us going down and they would have drag us into court to get what little money there was there.

As for them running down the club and looking for new guys to take over, well anyone know that to run it down and looking for new guys would in its self kill us off , as anyone looking to put money in would see all the problems and run like hell. To look for new guys to put money in and get some of there money back ,they would have to make it look like a good investment or no business guy would go near it.

The Malaysians are far from the saviours that you depict them as. They have sat back on our debt and allowed it to reach these proportions.They had a chance to invest a little bit more when Malky needed it in the Jan transfer window when we were second in the league but chose not to. This small investment could have paid off and secured our future yet they were not savvy enough to seize the day.These are not football men and will soon find that running a football club is nothing like running a normal business.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Gwyn you are a mug if you believe they will turn all the debt into shares.

I predict you will be dusting down your "Im a bigger Mug" t-shirt within 2 years.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:

StT.

You don't need to be in a position of strength to negotiate. You agree with Gwyn yet he does not think that we deserve to negotiate at all. The huge dept you refer to has almost tripled since the Malaysian have just sat back on the dept and allowed it to get to this level so they should accept this responsibility and pay off what they have created. :ayatollah:

I never said I agree with Gwyn, although I'm far closer to his side of the argument than yours!

I also never said that negotiations couldn't take place, but people are talking about doing things to demonstrate their passion for the Bluebird and the colour of our shirt, that can only cause a bigger divide amongst the fans!

If there's going to be negotiation or protest, then it has to be a measured one and realistic! :ayatollah: