Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City - My Obsession

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:55 pm

I first visited Ninian Park with my father in December 1966. I don't remember it, in fact I can't really remember much at all until the season we just missed out on promotion to the First Division, losing our last game 5-1 away to Sheffield United. As time has gone on however I have become more and more obsessed with Cardiff City.

I am now 51 years of age, my home is a shrine to the club with a painting of Ninian Park on one wall, a framed 1977 Subbuteo team on the other, Cardiff City crest mirrors, framed tickets and memorabilia, various photographs of Cardiff related memories even the house is called Ninian! I have a blue RX 8 with a yellow and white stripe over the top. I have watched us play at 74 different grounds and my life revolves around Cardiff City. I have a 17 year old son who, if anything, is worse than me. He has a large picture of Robin Friday on his wall and 14 shirts pinned up! CCFC curtains and quilt.

I have suffered many years of pain. I have watched us at Scarborough, Torquay, Barnet, Shrewsbury. The club probably cost me my marriage. I have spent thousands of pounds following the club, virtually every article of clothing I possess has a bluebird on it!

So how do I feel about the events of the last week? Well in all honesty I am in the TOBW (Paul Evans) camp. Of course I don't want us to play in red with that ridiculous badge. Cardiff City are the BLUEbirds. But in recent years I have become terrified about the future of the club I love. The court proceedings with Hammam, the winding up petitions brought by HMRC, the uncertainty, the escalating debt, the inability to pay wages, Black Friday, transfer embargoes, Ridsdale mortgaging future income streams, Langston, massive monthly losses etc. How long can this go on I often asked myself, will I wake one day to hear that the doors are shut and the club has gone bust. And I mean bust - not administration, lose 10 points, start afresh with new owners but BUST, liquidation, no more Cardiiff City as I know it.

I was so relieved when the Malaysians came on board. They seemed genuinely hooked and I was glad. Rich enough to bankroll us and willing to do so because they'd caught the bug. Thank God, I could sleep easy for the immediate future! I knew that it couldn't just drift on however, they may be benevolent but they were successful international businessmen and they weren't stupid.

Something had to happen, something had to change, so I wasn't that surprised when the recent proposals came to light. In fact when I heard they were committing to us in the way that was described I was delighted. They'd be in so deep they couldn't just abandon us. I could rest easy for the next 10 years or so during which time they seemed intent on maintaining success and pushing on. I could live with the colour change and the dragon if they felt it would assist in marketing the club in the Far East, I could even understand to a degree. In any event Sam tried to rebrand with the St David's Cross and the new badge - it didn't last and normal service was soon resumed.

So please let's not fall out. We all love Cardiff City. We've always had different opinions. This club is truly unique. Cardiff City will still be playing at the CCS next season, Malky will still be the manager, Whitts will still be working his magic, Hudson will still be captain. We will have some exciting new talent on show and will be one of the best sides in the league. We will still be chanting BLUEBIRDS and doing the Ayatollah. Give it a chance, suck it and see what happens, stay on the rollercoaster that is Cardiff City.

Re: Cardiff City - My Obsession

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:01 pm

good post……….its time to move on :ayatollah:

Re: Cardiff City - My Obsession

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Brilliant post mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: