Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VINCENT TAN IS A GENIUS!

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Right so for the last few days I've been, like most of you I'm sure, to try and wrap my head around why the hell the Malaysians would want to change the colour of our kit and badge despite large opposition from fans and football fans in general and now it is completely clear and I'm convinced Vincent Tan might be a genius.

We all know Asians think the colour red is lucky, but let's be honest, it's a pretty weak reason to completely rebrand the club and alienate yourself from the fans. I didn't truly understand why he felt this was enough to change everything and certaintly not enough considering we're still just a Championship club. How the hell are we going to compete with brands like Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal who are all big brands and already successful.

First you have to remember Vincent Tan is a Billionaire and is no doubt driven by numbers. He'd have done his research and would have seen how much money he can make, more than enough to cover the cost of alienating the fans that's for sure. His judgement is hard to question when considering his track record. Anyone else here a billionaire? No? Then hear the man out! He's not a crazy as he seems.

Let's say this season we start really advertising Cardiff City in Malaysia, we know Tan has a ton of retail stores in Malaysia where this can happen so we'll have a presence over there from the get go. Now imagine we get promotion to the Premier League the very first season we play in red, after years of near misses in blue? How freaking lucky will we look in the eyes of Malaysian consumers? In a country with 10x more people than Wales all of a sudden we're starting to make some big steps over there.

There's no reason for the money to stop flowing in. As other Malaysian investors join in on the luckiest club in the UK and more consumers continue buying our merchandise over there the financial side of all this seems pretty enticing. If we can in the next 5 years establish ourselves as a top 10 Premier League side, all the while playing in red, with Malaysia on our shirts then all of a sudden we've established ourselves not only in a market 10x the size of Wales but in the rest of Asia too.

For all of this to happen we need to get promoted this season, no questions asked. Vincent Tan has far too much to gain from us getting promoted I'd be surprised if we don't have money thrown at us over the next few years.

I'd like to end this with saying I still hate the idea, but I'm just happy that I think I at least understand why this is happening. I'm not sure about you but if something's happening that I don't like I atleast want to understand the reasoning behind it.

Re: VINCENT TAN IS A GENIUS!

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:22 pm

and if we don't ,say within 3 season's whats (your )thinking inside( HIS )head then? CCFC :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:23 pm

:thumbup:

I think this club will become big very quickly, and Vincent Tan will need more investors on board to deal with the level of advertisement and interest we get from more international countries.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm

gabbs wrote::thumbup:

I think this club will become big very quickly, and Vincent Tan will need more investors on board to deal with the level of advertisement and interest we get from more international countries.

you (hope),not think- take that sh*t avitar down ffs. :tearyeyed: :tearyeyed:

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Thats my opinion too Gabbs :D

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:37 pm

:roll: each to his own. :D :D

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Bowmonster wrote:

Thats my opinion too Gabbs :D

:ayatollah:

I think people are underestimating, how big of a businessman, Vincent Tan actually is.

To have plans for the biggest shopping mall in the most populated country in the world approved is BIG business.

He's certainly not an idiot.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:41 pm

I think we are as big as we are going to get aleady.

At top 30 thousand in the Premiership.

Most people in South Wales who have a passing interest in Football already go to watch
Cardiff or are the types who wouldnt go anyway.

We might get a few more for games like Man Utd, Livepool, Chelsea, Man City and Spurs but
we wont get anymore than 25-28000 for QPR, Fulham, WBA etc etc no matter what.

I was one of the people who said we would get 30,000 week in week out in the Championship
playing the likes of Nottingham Forrest, Wolves etc, but it didnt happen.

Struggling to sell out for Play Off against Blackpool, not selling out
for play off home games against Reading and West Ham, strugling to sell out tickets
for a cup final against Liverpool which saw tickets go on general sale and end up with Liverpool
fans in our end.

Where are all these people going to come from?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Well put it this way matey . Man utd have about 300 million plastics in Asia . If they could make £1 out of each fan each year wow they would be rich. . Infact very rich. Problem is they all buy fake man utd goods cos they are mostly poor. None of our big clubs have conquered the Asian market . This is fact not my opinion. I am suspicious, and even if they are honest it is a seriously flawed plan . We couldn't push for promotion by spending all the millions they have last year , but now were getting new training ground , extensions etc. and a war chest . We will see

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:54 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:I think we are as big as we are going to get aleady.

Most people in South Wales who have a passing interest in Football already go to watch

We might get a few more for games like Man Utd, Livepool, Chelsea, Man City and Spurs but

I was one of the people who said we would get 30,000 week in week out in the Championship

for play off home games against Reading and West Ham, strugling to sell out tickets
for a cup final against Liverpool which saw tickets go on general sale and end up with Liverpool
fans in our end.

It is the level of season ticket holders which holds the key to our attendances. In the old days walk up fans would make up the majority of the crowd but these days with the cheapest walk up tickets costing £26 it is an expensive afternoon out. Unfortunately the walk up price can't be lowered because that would have a knock on affect on the number of Season Tickets sold.

However, our season ticket sales have grown massively over the 10 years we have been in the Championship. Back in 2003 we had 5,000 st holders now we have 18,000, an increase of over 300%.

Who is to say how much more we could grow if we had a 10 year stint in the Premeir League?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:57 pm

cardiff yid wrote:Well put it this way matey . Man utd have about 300 million plastics in Asia . If they could make £1 out of each fan each year wow they would be rich. . Infact very rich. Problem is they all buy fake man utd goods cos they are mostly poor. None of our big clubs have conquered the Asian market . This is fact not my opinion. I am suspicious, and even if they are honest it is a seriously flawed plan . We couldn't push for promotion by spending all the millions they have last year , but now were getting new training ground , extensions etc. and a war chest . We will see

Between you and me, who do you think owns the biggest fake football shirt factory in Asia ;)

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 pm

MyNameIsAled wrote:Right so for the last few days I've been, like most of you I'm sure, to try and wrap my head around why the hell the Malaysians would want to change the colour of our kit and badge despite large opposition from fans and football fans in general and now it is completely clear and I'm convinced Vincent Tan might be a genius.

We all know Asians think the colour red is lucky, but let's be honest, it's a pretty weak reason to completely rebrand the club and alienate yourself from the fans. I didn't truly understand why he felt this was enough to change everything and certaintly not enough considering we're still just a Championship club. How the hell are we going to compete with brands like Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal who are all big brands and already successful.

First you have to remember Vincent Tan is a Billionaire and is no doubt driven by numbers. He'd have done his research and would have seen how much money he can make, more than enough to cover the cost of alienating the fans that's for sure. His judgement is hard to question when considering his track record. Anyone else here a billionaire? No? Then hear the man out! He's not a crazy as he seems.

Let's say this season we start really advertising Cardiff City in Malaysia, we know Tan has a ton of retail stores in Malaysia where this can happen so we'll have a presence over there from the get go. Now imagine we get promotion to the Premier League the very first season we play in red, after years of near misses in blue? How freaking lucky will we look in the eyes of Malaysian consumers? In a country with 10x more people than Wales all of a sudden we're starting to make some big steps over there.

There's no reason for the money to stop flowing in. As other Malaysian investors join in on the luckiest club in the UK and more consumers continue buying our merchandise over there the financial side of all this seems pretty enticing. If we can in the next 5 years establish ourselves as a top 10 Premier League side, all the while playing in red, with Malaysia on our shirts then all of a sudden we've established ourselves not only in a market 10x the size of Wales but in the rest of Asia too.

For all of this to happen we need to get promoted this season, no questions asked. Vincent Tan has far too much to gain from us getting promoted I'd be surprised if we don't have money thrown at us over the next few years.

I'd like to end this with saying I still hate the idea, but I'm just happy that I think I at least understand why this is happening. I'm not sure about you but if something's happening that I don't like I atleast want to understand the reasoning behind it.

Its not just about the money and any future success the back bone of the club has gone .It would be great see the old ccfc achieve success and I have been gagging for big success for 34 years.To change the identity of the club for possible success I say again possible success is terrible to me and I think its way way over the top.

This new club is no longer the same ccfc the change is way to radical and I can not support this new identity to me we have sold out and I am gutted .I cant show the same commitment ,passion and devotion not even 50 % so I think its over and out for me .

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 pm

MyNameIsAled wrote:Right so for the last few days I've been, like most of you I'm sure, to try and wrap my head around why the hell the Malaysians would want to change the colour of our kit and badge despite large opposition from fans and football fans in general and now it is completely clear and I'm convinced Vincent Tan might be a genius.

Its not just about the money and any future success the back bone of the club has gone .It would be great see the old ccfc achieve success and I have been gagging for big success for 34 years.To change the identity of the club for possible success I say again possible success is terrible to me and I think its way way over the top.

This new club is no longer the same ccfc the change is way to radical and I can not support this new identity to me we have sold out and I am gutted .I cant show the same commitment ,passion and devotion not even 50 % so I think its over and out for me .

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:11 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:12 pm

f**k me you lot are getting worse !!!! the biggest shopping mall you've made it fellas champions league final here you come
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
that's if your hordes of far east supporters by a legit jersey , jesus fellas world domination is there for you

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:25 pm

waddle wrote:f**k me you lot are getting worse !!!! the biggest shopping mall you've made it fellas champions league final here you come
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
that's if your hordes of far east supporters by a legit jersey , jesus fellas world domination is there for you

You missed the point of my post. I was looking to try and make sense of the decision from a financial standpoint, not saying we're primed for the Champions League or in fact any of this will even happen. A lot would have to fall into place and we'll need a lot of luck.

What I'm trying to do is put myself in Vincent Tan's shoes and attempt to understand why he did what he did, and I don't think I'm far from the truth. By understanding his motives I can grasp a better idea of what's going on which in turn helps to form my own opinion.

Without a doubt the idea of us getting promoted in our first season of wearing red will help provide a link between our club and luck which is a very marketable idea over thewre. The multiplyer effect of that could be huge, and granted I got a little carried away in that respect but I'd have thought people would have grasped that and taken it with a pinch of salt. Should have known a jack would walk in and get confused.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
cardiff yid wrote:Well put it this way matey . Man utd have about 300 million plastics in Asia . If they could make £1 out of each fan each year wow they would be rich. . Infact very rich. Problem is they all buy fake man utd goods cos they are mostly poor. None of our big clubs have conquered the Asian market . This is fact not my opinion. I am suspicious, and even if they are honest it is a seriously flawed plan . We couldn't push for promotion by spending all the millions they have last year , but now were getting new training ground , extensions etc. and a war chest . We will see

Between you and me, who do you think owns the biggest fake football shirt factory in Asia ;)
.......Daya ?. Zzzzzzzzz

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:33 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:I think we are as big as we are going to get aleady.

fans in our end.

It is the level of season ticket holders which holds the key to our attendances. In the old days walk up fans would make up the majority of the crowd but these days with the cheapest walk up tickets costing £26 it is an expensive afternoon out. Unfortunately the walk up price can't be lowered because that would have a knock on affect on the number of Season Tickets sold.

However, our season ticket sales have grown massively over the 10 years we have been in the Championship. Back in 2003 we had 5,000 st holders now we have 18,000, an increase of over 300%.

Who is to say how much more we could grow if we had a 10 year stint in the Premeir League?

I know all that mate, as a regular since 1989 and a season ticket holder since 1991, I have watched the club grow to the level it is now and it is my belief that any further growth in terms on the number of fans we attract week in week out will be minimal whatever level we are playing at, as I said, we would still only attract the mid 20 thousand at a push for games against the likes of West Brom.

At best Cardiff City can go as far as a mid level Premier League Club, we are not and never EVER will be competing with the Manchester or Big London Clubs.

Thats just a fact, we will never get crowds of 50,000, the South Wales Football Fans are to fickle as has been proven over many
years.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Let's hope that's the reason and if so we have a bright future!

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:57 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:

fans in our end.

I know all that mate, as a regular since 1989 and a season ticket holder since 1991, I have watched the club grow to the level it is now and it is my belief that any further growth in terms on the number of fans we attract week in week out will be minimal whatever level we are playing at, as I said, we would still only attract the mid 20 thousand at a push for games against the likes of West Brom.

At best Cardiff City can go as far as a mid level Premier League Club, we are not and never EVER will be competing with the Manchester or Big London Clubs.

Thats just a fact, we will never get crowds of 50,000, the South Wales Football Fans are to fickle as has been proven over many
years.

Premier League status is a completely different thing. Things would take off overnight. Buying Premier League players, playing in a Premier League Stadium, much more coverage in the British and international media. No reason why we can't be like Everton and Villa in terms of size after a few years in the Prem. If we can sell 18,000 season tickets in the Championship we'd sell 25,000 in the Premier League.......easily. In a 35,000 stadium we'd get 30,000 for ordinary teams and fill it for the top 6 or 7 clubs :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:10 pm

fans in our end.

Wembley is an expenisve day out and some people with children or some out of work may not be able to afford it.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:42 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:

fans in our end.

Wembley is an expenisve day out and some people with children or some out of work may not be able to afford it.

And how much do you think Premiership Football will cost Rhys?

If the South Wales public cant afford a day out at Wembley then how are they going to afford Premiership
Football.

There wont be any free seats for under 9's that for sure, and the 5 year price freeze will be long gong.

I would imagine you will be looking at £5-600 a season behind the goals, minimum.

£6-700 in the Ninian, £7-800 in the Grandstand.

35,000? No Chance.
This is how the Malaysians will recoup their money.

Or are they in it for the love.