Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: We can be as big as Real Madrid

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:31 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:First off a large chunk of the money that's comes in from selling a shirt will go the manufacturer aswell as the shop it is being sold in so no we would not be getting £400 million

Doesn't affect it much. Could be more than 10 million if we really hit it off and become Asia's PL football team :ayatollah:

You honestly believe we will sell more than 10 million shirts?? None of the premier league teams sell anywhere near that many shirts so how are we going to do it

By marketing ourselves as their club, a fusion of Welsh & Asian values..who you going to trust..CCFC season ticket holders or VT who has already become almost a billionaire from the Asian market?

It's not about trusting fans or vt (which right now is hard to do) it's about thinking realistically about this. WE WILL NEVER SELL MORE SHIRTS THAN UNITED OR MADRID

So what if we don't? Even if we make a small mark in that market...we will make an absolute tonne of money for the club.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Andy1927 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:By marketing ourselves as their club, a fusion of Welsh & Asian values..who you going to trust..CCFC season ticket holders or VT who has already become almost a billionaire from the Asian market?

CCFC season ticket holders thanks.... as why would I want to trust a man who has made millions on the back of a country run as a dictatorship, and yes I know it is now based on a constitutional monarchy and is no longer a communist state, but anyone who knows anything about Malaysia knows that to claim it to be democratic would be laughable.... The rumours to come out of Malaysia have been quite clear in how VT has made his money, and it is not on the back of fair trade that's for sure....

So VT is corrupt? You better be careful with comments like that.

And you've completely contradicted yourself, a dictatorship that is a consitutional monarchy!?!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:35 pm

polo wrote:
Whens the last time Liverpool got in the Champions league? Nevermind win their league (22 years and counting)?

Whens the last time Arsenal won a trophy? Cannot hold onto their best players.

2009 and since then they've regressed due to poor ownership and even despite that got to two cup finals last season.

Arsenal not since 2005. But Real have only won 1 Copa del Rey and 1 league since 2008 and didn't make it past the 2nd round of the CL for 6 years 2005-2010.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Birchgrove wrote:I don't want to have a go at anyone on here but gulible is the only word that springs to mind

As an aside there was a picture doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago with two Swansea guys and about 20 guys from Bangkok all in Swansea kit, (insert ladyboy joke here) when you looked closer, they were not made by Adidas and cost $2 dollars each to make, Swansea didn't make a bean (other than publicity).

As for TV, yes Sky sell rights to Asia but Cardiff City can't, its not theirs to sell, otherwise Manchester United would have done it when Giggs was a lad. Get real

You don't understand completely the strength and growth of the Asian market and you also completely misunderstand the TV rights process. I never said Cardiff would sell the rights but VT can buy them for his TV Company from whoever sells them and use it to publicise Cardiff over there.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:38 pm

ElyBlueAj wrote:£400m a year from shirt sales. You want to get yourself down to the doctors if you think that is anywhere near possible

It's possible for Manchester United who sell between 1.2m & 1.5m shirts a year, at £40 a shirt that is £480m and £600m.

Obviously they don't sell them all for that much but a it can't be denied United have a fantastic merchandising machine going on.

Even just £40m a year from shirt sales would be huge for Cardiff and help us become a top club!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 pm

You can be as big as Real Madrid, but you'll still have sold your soul to the devil.

(By the way your not going to be as big as Real Madrid, more like Crawley Town)

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
Birchgrove wrote:I don't want to have a go at anyone on here but gulible is the only word that springs to mind

As an aside there was a picture doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago with two Swansea guys and about 20 guys from Bangkok all in Swansea kit, (insert ladyboy joke here) when you looked closer, they were not made by Adidas and cost $2 dollars each to make, Swansea didn't make a bean (other than publicity).

As for TV, yes Sky sell rights to Asia but Cardiff City can't, its not theirs to sell, otherwise Manchester United would have done it when Giggs was a lad. Get real

You don't understand completely the strength and growth of the Asian market and you also completely misunderstand the TV rights process. I never said Cardiff would sell the rights but VT can buy them for his TV Company from whoever sells them and use it to publicise Cardiff over there.

Of course he can and if my auntie had a set of bollocks she'd be my uncle.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:42 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
ElyBlueAj wrote:£400m a year from shirt sales. You want to get yourself down to the doctors if you think that is anywhere near possible

It's possible for Manchester United who sell between 1.2m & 1.5m shirts a year, at £40 a shirt that is £480m and £600m.

Obviously they don't sell them all for that much but a it can't be denied United have a fantastic merchandising machine going on.

Even just £40m a year from shirt sales would be huge for Cardiff and help us become a top club!

Deluded

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 pm

SCFC wrote:You can be as big as Real Madrid, but you'll still have sold your soul to the devil.

I'd rather change colour than rip off all the local businesses in my local area ;)

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Birchgrove wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:

Of course he can and if my auntie had a set of bollocks she'd be my uncle.

So you're saying TV companies can't buy the rights to PL games in foreign countries?? :roll:

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Birchgrove wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:

Deluded

So an extra £40m a year wouldn't help your beloved Swansea become a top club?

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:57 pm

These are a few facts. The 1.2 to 1.5 million shirts were sold over a four year period. Not annually. So roughly 350,000 a year. At just over £10 per shirt. £3.5m a year is a lot less than the £420m to £600m a year you were talking about. The colour change was never about selling shirts. It was simply Tan showing us who the boss is

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:00 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
Birchgrove wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:

Deluded

So you've plucked a figure out of thin air

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:00 pm

ElyBlueAj wrote:These are a few facts. The 1.2 to 1.5 million shirts were sold over a four year period. Not annually. So roughly 350,000 a year. At just over £10 per shirt. £3.5m a year is a lot less than the £420m to £600m a year you were talking about. The colour change was never about selling shirts. It was simply Tan showing us who the boss is

There is no way all those shirts went for £10 per shirt!

Even at £40 a shirt, and I may have got figures seriously wrong at first, it's still an extra £10m plus a year which is super. That's on top of sales of other merchandise.

and it is not a fact that Tan is doing it for that reason, that is just your opinion. There is no way Tan changed the kits to just show us who the boss was. He has business reasons and that much is obvious and what the whole post is about!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Birchgrove wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Birchgrove wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:

Deluded

So you've plucked a figure out of thin air

No it's the figure I used in the above post which you replied saying I was deluded. At least read my posts if you're going to post drivel about them.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:03 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
ElyBlueAj wrote:These are a few facts. The 1.2 to 1.5 million shirts were sold over a four year period. Not annually. So roughly 350,000 a year. At just over £10 per shirt. £3.5m a year is a lot less than the £420m to £600m a year you were talking about. The colour change was never about selling shirts. It was simply Tan showing us who the boss is

Even at £40 a shirt, and I may have got figures seriously wrong at first, it's still an extra £10m plus a year which is super. That's on top of sales of other merchandise.

and it is not a fact that Tan is doing it for that reason, that is just your opinion. There is no way Tan changed the kits to just show us who the boss was. He has business reasons and that much is obvious and what the whole post is about!

Having been in Madrid, new RM shirts sell for almost £100 in Madrid out there. So it can go the other way, too.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:06 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:

Having been in Madrid, new RM shirts sell for almost £100 in Madrid out there. So it can go the other way, too.

Good luck

mjw6150 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:

Good luck

mjw6150 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:

Good luck

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:09 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:

But Real Madrid don't manufacture their shirts. Adidas do. Adidas are shirt sponsors. They pay real Madrid a set fee every year for the rights to sell their kit and merchandise.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:13 pm

ElyBlueAj wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:

But Real Madrid don't manufacture their shirts. Adidas do. Adidas are shirt sponsors. They pay real Madrid a set fee every year for the rights to sell their kit and merchandise.

Well even if so, it is a fee surely much higher than £3.5m a year. Probably a lot higher than £10m a year. If we are selling lots of shirts we will get into the big fee's without even getting to the PL!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Forget about the shirts, as has been stated VT has his own TV station, he will put City on pay per view, the malaysians and chinese will lap it up and that will just be the start

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:23 pm

mjw6150 wrote:So VT is corrupt? You better be careful with comments like that.

And you've completely contradicted yourself, a dictatorship that is a consitutional monarchy!?!

No... You really should read my posts more carefully.... what I actually said was that the country is a constitutional monarchy... run as a dictatorship.... so yes... that is possible.... it's called a FRONT!!!!!!.... You might want to do a little research on something before commenting in future.....

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:26 pm

This thread has cheered me up no end.

Someone needs to put the crack pipe down , step away from the computer and go and have a lie down :D

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:28 pm

And for the record, where does it say that I believe VT to be corrupt.... what I said was he doesn't exactly play by 'Fair Trade' rules.... that doesn't mean he's corrupt.....

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:33 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Your type of thread is making us look a laughing stock down west again. You are an embarrassment to the proud club we once was, before we sold our souls to the devil

Shut the door on your way out then………..

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 pm

The reason we changed to red was not shirt sales it's obvious we won't sell that many it's to make us more appealing to the Asian businessmen so we will have extra funding. And we would get £10 a shirt as I have said before we won't get all the money. We will sell to about 0.01% of the population which is a 1 million people and that's being optimistic we would then gain £10 million a year from it barely enough income to cover our 1.2 mil a month loss. Don't get deluded

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Igovernor wrote:Forget about the shirts, as has been stated VT has his own TV station, he will put City on pay per view, the malaysians and chinese will lap it up and that will just be the start

Exactly :ayatollah:

I'm baffled people can't see this!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
SCFC wrote:You can be as big as Real Madrid, but you'll still have sold your soul to the devil.

I'd rather change colour than rip off all the local businesses in my local area ;)

No comparsion ,you're prepared to shit on the fans of a club which has it's history in S Wales not some Asian country where the majority haven't got a clue who you or TIng Tong are.He's come in and instilled his wishes (not yours) with black mail .Good luck lads I think you're going to need it

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:23 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
Stern wrote:Real Madrid ................................... r u on glue?

As above, just 1% of China being interested enough to buy a shirt is £400m a year. Add in Malaysia, Asia and the fact that VT will be marketing us as 'their' team and showing games live...it's a genius way around FFP.

I'm not happy about this, just trying to see the positives...and there are HUGE positives.

er...birmingham city won a cup yet i ain,t seen tinamen square stanked out with young chinese in blues tops have you,and we,ve chinese owners :!: real madrid?? :shock: