Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Welsh Boxers Past and present

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:58 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:They learn to box before they learn to talk in Merthyr, what an area for producing boxers, even the midwives wear boxing gloves to acclimatise the babies at birth. 8-)

SSo why did you do Judo ? :lol: :lol: :lol: or dont tell me you was born just outside of Merthyr ? :lol:

Aberdare snake me,Cwmaman, or as we call it Stereophonicland. I only took up judo so I'd be less scared when i went shopping in Merthyr. ;) Actually now living in Trelewis (a stone's throw from my pal Bluebird1977, just looking for the right size stone) this is about the closest i feel safe enough to live near Merthyr, I finished up as a third dan, and you must be at least fourth dan (or have a big gun) to live any nearer. :lol:

Regan's Sensei lives in Dowlais but then again he is a 5th Dan :lol: :lol: Cheggers knows him :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:02 pm

FOR ME IT HAS TO BE TOMMY FARR , PUT UP A GREAT SHOW AGAINST MY ALL TIME GREAT JOE LOUIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghg2pz7eBk0

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
jtc wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:If you could go and watch any of them fight today past or present who would it be ? Mine would defo be Jimmy Wilde

And any Boxer in the World it would have to be Jack Johnson because he was the first Black heavyweight champion and he had an enormous chip on his shoulder and was brutal.

But i could name so many in each category :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

johny owen for me chief.lennox lewis was the one i wished i,d saw live

Lennox Lewis in my view JTC would not of lived with any of the greats from the 70s a true great era in Heavyweight Boxing, apart from Hollyfield.

i think he would mate.hard to judge as heavyweights came in a lot lighter in the 7o,s and early 80,s but i,d put him against any of them.70,s was a great era tho.blokes who never won a title in the 70,s would be nailed on champs if they,d been born 10yr later.a young ,fit bugner would have caned someone like tony tnt tubbs

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:If you could go and watch any of them fight today past or present who would it be ? Mine would defo be Jimmy Wilde

And any Boxer in the World it would have to be Jack Johnson because he was the first Black heavyweight champion and he had an enormous chip on his shoulder and was brutal.

But i could name so many in each category :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Liked to have been around to have seen the matchstick man johnny owen..BRAVE BRAVE man with a heart of a lion. I'd have also liked to have been ring side at the Steve Robinson Naseem Hamed. Fight just so I could have thrown a can of larger at that aroggant tw*t hameds head pfft.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:Peerless Jim Driscoll

Boxing has had it's day

Chief have you read his autobiography "Peerless Jim" read it over 25 years ago got it from a Library in Bristol. A must read for anyone with an interest in local Boxing. His battles with Freddy Welsh and his training running up Leckwith mountain/ Hill. He was a true Champion and as i remember was buried in Cathays cemetery and it was the biggest funeral the City of Cardiff has ever witnessed.

I aint read it but I'm going to now.

I'd prefer to watch the gypos knocking the shite out of each other in a field than any boxing match these days.

Since the 80s boxing as been shite for me and the only fight that would interest me now is mayweather and the paquiao fella.

big respect for the matchstick man tho before and after the tradegy :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:Peerless Jim Driscoll

Boxing has had it's day

Chief have you read his autobiography "Peerless Jim" read it over 25 years ago got it from a Library in Bristol. A must read for anyone with an interest in local Boxing. His battles with Freddy Welsh and his training running up Leckwith mountain/ Hill. He was a true Champion and as i remember was buried in Cathays cemetery and it was the biggest funeral the City of Cardiff has ever witnessed.

I aint read it but I'm going to now.

I'd prefer to watch the gypos knocking the shite out of each other in a field than any boxing match these days.

Since the 80s boxing as been shite for me and the only fight that would interest me now is mayweather and the paquiao fella.

ps driscoll and walsh sound a bit paddyish to me :ayatollah:

big respect for the matchstick man tho before and after the tradegy :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:24 pm

James "Jim" Mannings

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:55 pm

BluebirdJM wrote:
Jes wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
BluebirdJM wrote:I dont know about welsh fighters but i would of loved to of been able to see Sugar Ray Robinson in my opinion he is the greatest ever!

Yeah would of loved to of seen his fights with La Motta :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Met Lamotta in Cardiff...What a gent

Now thats a claim to fame if ive ever heared one!!

It was a show put on with a 3 course meal, They have them in Cardiff all the time.
Lamotta, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leaonard, Earnie Shavers and so many more have appeared there.
Usually around 50 - 60 quid a ticket but well worth it if you are into that stuff.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Jes wrote:
BluebirdJM wrote:
Jes wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
BluebirdJM wrote:I dont know about welsh fighters but i would of loved to of been able to see Sugar Ray Robinson in my opinion he is the greatest ever!

Yeah would of loved to of seen his fights with La Motta :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

It was a show put on with a 3 course meal, They have them in Cardiff all the time.
Lamotta, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leaonard, Earnie Shavers and so many more have appeared there.
Usually around 50 - 60 quid a ticket but well worth it if you are into that stuff.

Dai Furnish's shows :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:17 am

Boxer1 wrote:
Jes wrote:
BluebirdJM wrote:
Jes wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

Dai Furnish's shows :ayatollah:

Spot on, He always delivers a good show.
He used to run The Fleur De LLys club (Not sure if the spelling is correct) and would often host the boxers for a while before the show. The private meetings are often the best due to the personal nature but Dai always delivers on his word and always sells out with no profit made by himself which allows him to keep the cost to a minimum.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Some good boxers from around the fleur de lys area
jeff pritchard
robert bennett
wayne bennett
robbie regan
Clev
some good amateur fighters there as well.......only a small village but has two gyms.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:18 pm

The Merthyr Matchstick for me historically, currently i'd like to see Cleverley KO that scouse gob bellow and Worldwide Marvellous Marvin, best fight i've ever seen on tv was him V John the Beast Mugabi he battered Marvellous for most of the fight then when he decided enough was enough Marvellous sparked him right out!!

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Jes wrote:
Spot on, He always delivers a good show.
He used to run The Fleur De LLys club (Not sure if the spelling is correct) and would often host the boxers for a while before the show. The private meetings are often the best due to the personal nature but Dai always delivers on his word and always sells out with no profit made by himself which allows him to keep the cost to a minimum.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I agree. I know Dai very well. His recent shows in the Rumney cons club have been superd. People like Herol Graham, Tim Witherpoon, etc for no more than £10 a ticket. He did a Barrera show where the cost was £40 a ticket but a fantastic night was had all round :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:49 pm

The Robbie Regan fight nights were awesome he was a tough nut alright