Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How many fans actually complained at the time

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:09 am

when Fowler, Hasslebaink and Sinclair were signed on wages far too high for the budget of the club?

When Chopra was re-signed for more money than club could afford and on ridiculously high wages?

when the supposed £6m bid for Ledley on transfer deadline day was turned down in order for him to stay at the club?

Or was everyone enthused with the ambition shown by the club in chasing the dream?

Be honest now and don't use hindsight.

Also, how many of those who bought season tickets under the guise of the "we're going to spend all the money on players in the Jan transfer window" scheme actually gave more than a few moments thought for "hang on, how are we going to pay for next season if this goes tits up?!" And even if that thought was given, still blindly bought them.

Or was everyone caught up in the ambition the club was showing?

I'm not a Ridsdale apologist by any stretch of the imagination but the fans who blindly bought into all this have to bare a certain level of responsibility as well. Especially when you consider that fans of a certain club in the West have been pointing out such things for a while I guess only to be generally ridiculed while everyone gave it the big I am. I think it's fair to say that the success that Swansea are having on a small budget is magnifying the anger.

Just a thought to put out there.

Re: How many fans actually complained at the time

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 am

I think it's fair to say that the success that Swansea are having on a small budget is magnifying the anger.

Do we have a fishing smiley on here because that really is looking for bait.

In answer to your questions though, I didn't have a clue what wages JFH, Blobby and Trev were on, nor Chops, so how could I have had an opinion at the time? I DID want Ledley to go, that's my totally honest answer to that one. I didn't buy a season ticket and never have owned one but I still feel aggrieved at what Liesdale did.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:17 am

DaveSheffield wrote:
I think it's fair to say that the success that Swansea are having on a small budget is magnifying the anger.

In answer to your questions though, I didn't have a clue what wages JFH, Blobby and Trev were on, nor Chops, so how could I have had an opinion at the time? I DID want Ledley to go, that's my totally honest answer to that one. I didn't buy a season ticket and never have owned one but I still feel aggrieved at what Liesdale did.

Not fishing just thought it was a reasonable point.

At the time there were many rumours banded about regarding their wages which seem to have proved to have been fairly accurate it seems, and the fee agreed for Chopra when Ross was in the form of his life but got shunted out of position.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:20 am

NJ73 wrote:when Fowler, Hasslebaink and Sinclair were signed on wages far too high for the budget of the club?

When Chopra was re-signed for more money than club could afford and on ridiculously high wages?

when the supposed £6m bid for Ledley on transfer deadline day was turned down in order for him to stay at the club?

Or was everyone enthused with the ambition shown by the club in chasing the dream?

Also, how many of those who bought season tickets under the guise of the "we're going to spend all the money on players in the Jan transfer window" scheme actually gave more than a few moments thought for "hang on, how are we going to pay for next season if this goes tits up?!" And even if that thought was given, still blindly bought them.

I'm not a Ridsdale apologist by any stretch of the imagination but the fans who blindly bought into all this have to bare a certain level of responsibility as well. Especially when you consider that fans of a certain club in the West have been pointing out such things for a while I guess only to be generally ridiculed while everyone gave it the big I am. I think it's fair to say that the success that Swansea are having on a small budget is magnifying the anger.

I can honestly say i did and I think the season ticket scam ( morally and financially) is the last roll of the dice for himself.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:45 am

NJ73 wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:

Not fishing just thought it was a reasonable point.

At the time there were many rumours banded about regarding their wages which seem to have proved to have been fairly accurate it seems, and the fee agreed for Chopra when Ross was in the form of his life but got shunted out of position.

Well as I say I didn't hear any of the rumours so couldn't have had an opinion - that's just my personal p.o.v, just answering your question.

But seriously.

The "success" Swansea are having on a small budget is magnifying the anger?

That's totally unreasonable and yet another example of why I pity the Jacks so. Mainly because they think what's going on at the moment is success, but secondly because they think they don't have debts and all is fine and dandy down there. Evidently it's not as bad as it is here but my word.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 am

We had sold enough players to cover those wages and that season we got to an FA Cup final for further income so not sure what the point is here?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:50 am

I did and I got the emails to Ridsdale to prove it.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:01 am

for me the lack of transparancy by the club made me think the numbers were adding up, ridsdale said they were, at the time of the no joe sale, the words were "we dont need to sell anyone", i believed this, the chopra purchase, 'we have budgeted for 18,000' JFH, Cashin the bank and sinclair...... i had no idea of their wages........ again trusting the spin....... the season ticket, I had already bought as I always do when they go on sale, I am more interested in being at the top of the queue for the big game tickets, I still feel its a liberty not allowing people who go to every game have priority........ however I didn't stop to think......

Mt over riding thought during the first 90% of ridsdale reign has been, surely he cant be that stupid again, he is trying to rebuild his reputation, what's good for him is good for us. but I guess a gambler is a gambler, addicted and he's gambled with us and it looks like we are going to lose......

Finally.......... a lot of people regard ridsdale (i refuse to give his name a capital letter now) as the master of spin....... well it looks like he is not as good as he thought at either running a football club or spinning the truth to reflect well on himself. The football club is going bust and the majority, silent or vocal think he is the grim reaper as far as Cardiff City is concerned. I would be happy if he never set foot in our country again.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:56 am

NJ73 wrote:when Fowler, Hasslebaink and Sinclair were signed on wages far too high for the budget of the club?

The question is a little unfair because we were told many times that the budget was under control due to selling players every summer and we could therefore afford Chopra, JFH, Fowler etc.

Also if the board is to be believed the current problems have arisen from an overspend on the stadium fit and not the previous policy of signing the above players.

IF that is true then the correct question should have been who complained about the ambition of building a new stadium

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:05 am

when Fowler, Hasslebaink and Sinclair were signed on wages far too high for the budget of the club?

:( we got £5m for Chopra and were told DJ used the money on wages reather than transfer fees :(

:( we believed the chairmans ambition :(

:( we believed in the chairmens ambition - dont forget we were 8pts clear top of the league at one point :(

:( yes we believd in the chairmans ambition and bought into the dream of pormotion :(

:( we believed in the chairmens ambition, a few years ago stoke were 5th / 6th they spent £5m in Jan and went up automatic :(

:( YES :(

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:01 pm

But at the time of signing we didn't get the true cost and we were trusting that whatever was being paid was actually affordable. If they'd said we can have these players but we can't afford them then no I wouldn't have agreed. I'd like to see Messi in a City shirt but we can't afford him either.

NJ73 wrote:When Chopra was re-signed for more money than club could afford and on ridiculously high wages?

when the supposed £6m bid for Ledley on transfer deadline day was turned down in order for him to stay at the club?.

Was there a bid though? Who's word have we got for that? I beleive if there really was a bid of that size then he'd be gone. I think it's more like he was being touted about in the hope of a sizable bid.

NJ73 wrote:Or was everyone enthused with the ambition shown by the club in chasing the dream?

At the end of the day you rely on the people running the club to be honest and upfront with you so when they make these decisions you know they are dong it for the right reasons rather than doing it in the hope that we win the lottery so we can pay for them. Hindsight doesn't come in to it. Relying on proper business planning does.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:04 pm

yes

loads of people were totally against the signing of those 3 crocks and said so at the time

all over the mike morris board

it was obvious from the start fowler and sinclair were not fit

a shocking waste of money

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:14 pm

I thought that the Fowler signing could have gone one of 2 ways. He could either be a Merson-like figure that Pompey had when they went up (ie inspire us to great things and bring the best out of the younger players) or he wouldn't really score too many goals. I didn't think that signing JFH was all that bad, but we did pay him too much money. I actually thought he was good for us on the pitch and inspired the team. Sinclair I'm not too sure about.

All the other points, I had no reason to disbelieve him at the time they happened but I was sceptical about Chopra re-signing as I believe in the 'never go back' adage, especially as we had Ross playing so well at the time