Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Rebranding: How far would you go?

Sun May 27, 2012 10:16 am

I would really like to know how most people feel about the whole rebranding saga in terms of true statistics.
I know some polls have been carried out but the depth of these polls have been limited to a simple "yes" or "no".
There is obviously more to it than that and although willing to compromise on many of the rumoured proposals I can not and will not turn my back on the "Bluebird" insignia and I would rather watch Cardiff City Bluebirds play in my local park against a village side with a crowd of 20 than to give up the "Bluebird" Badge that means so much to me. The question everybody needs to ask is :- How far would I go?

We must then respect everyones view wether or not we agree with it.
I believe that everyone needs to look within and honestly say what they are prepared to do.

The poll should indicate what level of rebranding people are prepared to compromise on.
As far as I can see these are the main topics of conversation when talking about rebranding and i would like to see each topic polled individualy and only then an overall poll to gauge feeling.

Shirt Colour: (Home and Away) Maybe even the mock up that was shown on here that i personally liked.
Change of badge: (From Bluebirds to Red Dragons)
Stadium renaming: (We currently have no name apart from CCS and of course the habitual name of "Ninian park")
Stadium colour change: (Blue to red)

Now for my personal view and what i would happily compromise on. I would like to keep the Bluebird as our badge, play home in blue and away in red or maybe even the mock up of the kit with the dragon on the chest that fades from red to blue or vice versa.

Re: Rebranding: How far would you go?

Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 am

For me they can change the stadium name and tweak the badge, anything else and I'd boycott until the changes were reversed.

Sun May 27, 2012 10:26 am

At first when i heard it my reaction s were no wayHaving time to think about it i think i would be willing (if had to) to change the kit from blue to red if it REALLY meant big investment in the club What i personally could never except is the exclusion of the badge bluebird and any form of changing the BLUEBIRDS NICKNAME

Sun May 27, 2012 10:27 am

bspark wrote:For me they can change the stadium name and tweak the badge, anything else and I'd boycott until the changes were reversed.

That's a fair one. How far would you allow badge tweaking" Is removal of the bluebird ok with you?

Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 am

Jes wrote:Shirt Colour: (Home and Away)
Blue home / Away white/blue

Has to be a bluebird

Stadium renaming: (We currently have no name apart from CCS and of course the habitual name of "Ninian park")
Wouldnt matter what they call it to be honest as it will always be a funeral atmosphere untill they sort the seating out and will only get worse if all these changes go ahead

Blue

Sun May 27, 2012 10:30 am

john52 wrote:At first when i heard it my reaction s were no wayHaving time to think about it i think i would be willing (if had to) to change the kit from blue to red if it REALLY meant big investment in the club What i personally could never except is the exclusion of the badge bluebird and any form of changing the BLUEBIRDS NICKNAME

I for one am along the same lines as you. I pesonally feel the Bluebird is the soul of the club and supporters and would not want to sell my soul.

Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 am

Jes wrote:
bspark wrote:For me they can change the stadium name and tweak the badge, anything else and I'd boycott until the changes were reversed.

That's a fair one. How far would you allow badge tweaking" Is removal of the bluebird ok with you?

I am open to ideas but think it would have to have a bluebird on it somewhere even if it was a bluebird being eaten by a dragon.

Sun May 27, 2012 10:37 am

bspark wrote:
Jes wrote:

I am open to ideas but think it would have to have a bluebird on it somewhere even if it was a bluebird being eaten by a dragon.

Eaten by a dragon? please no. haha I can understand why people get upset with oppinions now haha.
Only kiddin mate....everyone is entitled and everyone should respect if disagree.

Sun May 27, 2012 10:50 am

TBH I have never been a fan of the Bluebird tag. In nature Bluebirds are seem as being colourful but also weak and fragile.

I could definatley live with a Dragon nickname as they are seen as firery and passionate as well as being the emblem of Wales.

Further I could accept reluctantly a change from Blue to Red but that is it, there must be no messing with the name etc.

Sun May 27, 2012 11:34 am

Jes wrote:I would really like to know how most people feel about the whole rebranding saga in terms of true statistics.
I know some polls have been carried out but the depth of these polls have been limited to a simple "yes" or "no".
There is obviously more to it than that and although willing to compromise on many of the rumoured proposals I can not and will not turn my back on the "Bluebird" insignia and I would rather watch Cardiff City Bluebirds play in my local park against a village side with a crowd of 20 than to give up the "Bluebird" Badge that means so much to me. The question everybody needs to ask is :- How far would I go?

I believe that everyone needs to look within and honestly say what they are prepared to do.

The poll should indicate what level of rebranding people are prepared to compromise on.
As far as I can see these are the main topics of conversation when talking about rebranding and i would like to see each topic polled individualy and only then an overall poll to gauge feeling.

Shirt Colour: (Home and Away) Maybe even the mock up that was shown on here that i personally liked.

Now for my personal view and what i would happily compromise on. I would like to keep the Bluebird as our badge, play home in blue and away in red or maybe even the mock up of the kit with the dragon on the chest that fades from red to blue or vice versa.

The consensus by our fans seems to be they can do anything they like for ££££££££££££££££ & $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Sun May 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I don't want to change anything.

But the only compromise I would make is a blue and red fusion home kit. Some of the mock ups on here where pretty decent.

But to me the badge, the nickname and the home strip of blue is what's makes us Cardiff City FC.

Sun May 27, 2012 1:41 pm

No cares about the badge really.. I think it needs "refreshing"..

Not once have I ever read we must keep the daffodil. I couldn't give a rats arse about the red dragon, the real ones are playing this evening against Mexico.....

Its the bluebird that the issue, and is defiantly what defines OUR club. We are Cardiff City "The Bluebirds" and if you ask the question on that footy quiz show (can't remember name) who are the Bluebird ? 99.9% of even the most novice football fan would know.

I am not a dinosaur, the last species that didn't successfully evolve was the dodo and I appreciate we must evolve.

For the record
Shirt colour- Prefer blue home absolutely no objection to red away, if the other way around- just can't see why....
Badge- bluebird must have a prominent position- have the red dragon if its that important
Stadium name - Could care less
Stadium colour - Just can't see why we would waste money- you can only tell what colour the seat are when they are empty.....

Sun May 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:TBH I have never been a fan of the Bluebird tag. In nature Bluebirds are seem as being colourful but also weak and fragile.

I could definatley live with a Dragon nickname as they are seen as firery and passionate as well as being the emblem of Wales.

Further I could accept reluctantly a change from Blue to Red but that is it, there must be no messing with the name etc.

You would go the full hogg then!
I feel im getting a better feel for oppinions now that the question has been asked in a different way.
Cheers

Sun May 27, 2012 2:12 pm

llan bluebird wrote:No cares about the badge really.. I think it needs "refreshing"..

Not once have I ever read we must keep the daffodil. I couldn't give a rats arse about the red dragon, the real ones are playing this evening against Mexico.....

Its the bluebird that the issue, and is defiantly what defines OUR club. We are Cardiff City "The Bluebirds" and if you ask the question on that footy quiz show (can't remember name) who are the Bluebird ? 99.9% of even the most novice football fan would know.

I am not a dinosaur, the last species that didn't successfully evolve was the dodo and I appreciate we must evolve.

For the record
Shirt colour- Prefer blue home absolutely no objection to red away, if the other way around- just can't see why....
Badge- bluebird must have a prominent position- have the red dragon if its that important
Stadium name - Could care less
I'm much the samer as you on this. Cheers
Stadium colour - Just can't see why we would waste money- you can only tell what colour the seat are when they are empty.....

Sun May 27, 2012 2:15 pm

BlueWhite&Yellow wrote:I don't want to change anything.

But the only compromise I would make is a blue and red fusion home kit. Some of the mock ups on here where pretty decent.

But to me the badge, the nickname and the home strip of blue is what's makes us Cardiff City FC.

I liked the fusion kit too and i am with you on the badge

Sun May 27, 2012 2:50 pm

I will accept the changes, its Cardiff City and always will be whatever the colour shirt. Would prefer if the bluebird was kept but its not the end of the world for me. You can't change history but we can change the direction we're heading.

Sun May 27, 2012 2:58 pm

GarethBrad wrote:I will accept the changes, its Cardiff City and always will be whatever the colour shirt. Would prefer if the bluebird was kept but its not the end of the world for me. You can't change history but we can change the direction we're heading.

Good post and i think you make the point quite well with regards to the history always being there. I think many believe the same as you in actual fact....not me personally but a well made point
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Ideally I would love the investment with a blue home kit and our current crest but that seems unlikely to happen.

In order of least important to important

Couldn't care less on this at all, if someone is will to pay the money thats fine by me. If Langston hadnt had the naming rights as part of the package they have then everyone would have expected a sponsored name when the stadium opened. It will always be known as "down the city" or "CCS" etc etc

I would like blue seats as a preference but it doesnt really bother me that much, its a seat at the end of the day. Once people are in the stadium you cant really see the colour. ill be wearing a blue top anyway so once i take my seat it becomes blue again. Does seem a waste of money to replace the blue seats with red though if that happened

Shirt Colour: (Home and Away)
To be honest I cant really imagine us playing in red and im unable to say how I honestly feel until we run out in a red kit at home.

I never identified really with the one Sam brought in and was delighted when PR brought back the old crest however it in now way effected my ability to support the club. As long as the new badge has a bluebird on it his is something I can get to terms with although never be totally happy with.

Club name change: This would be the end for me.

Sun May 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:TBH I have never been a fan of the Bluebird tag. In nature Bluebirds are seem as being colourful but also weak and fragile.

I pretty much agree with all of this, although I definitely would like the bluebird to remain somewhere on the kit.

Tue May 29, 2012 7:19 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Ideally I would love the investment with a blue home kit and our current crest but that seems unlikely to happen.

Couldn't care less on this at all, if someone is will to pay the money thats fine by me. If Langston hadnt had the naming rights as part of the package they have then everyone would have expected a sponsored name when the stadium opened. It will always be known as "down the city" or "CCS" etc etc

I would like blue seats as a preference but it doesnt really bother me that much, its a seat at the end of the day. Once people are in the stadium you cant really see the colour. ill be wearing a blue top anyway so once i take my seat it becomes blue again. Does seem a waste of money to replace the blue seats with red though if that happened

To be honest I cant really imagine us playing in red and im unable to say how I honestly feel until we run out in a red kit at home.

I never identified really with the one Sam brought in and was delighted when PR brought back the old crest however it in now way effected my ability to support the club. As long as the new badge has a bluebird on it his is something I can get to terms with although never be totally happy with.

What youve said there does generally seem to be the feeling however, I don't understand why people still mention "Club name Change" as far as i'm aware this wasn't even one of the proposals so unless there is something i don't know and everybody else does then this shouldn,t even get a mention.
This club name change thing...where did it come from? please enlighten me?

Tue May 29, 2012 8:46 pm

1. We must play at home in blue. Red away kit would be great.
2. Change the badge to include a dragon if they must, but leave a Bluebird on it somewhere.

Saying that....some things are better left as they are - Perfect.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Buchanan's Exocet wrote:1. We must play at home in blue. Red away kit would be great.
2. Change the badge to include a dragon if they must, but leave a Bluebird on it somewhere.

Saying that....some things are better left as they are - Perfect.

I'm sure we will all be enlightened by the time the next statement comes out.....or will we? ;-)

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:23 pm

We use to have the Dragon on our kit until a season or two ago, put that back on should make them happy :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:47 pm

For £100 million I'd go all the way :old:

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:45 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Ideally I would love the investment with a blue home kit and our current crest but that seems unlikely to happen.

totally agree with everything there :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Jes wrote:I would really like to know how most people feel about the whole rebranding saga in terms of true statistics.

Jes you had better get ready mate, because the badge is the one that is going. Blue home kit this year and red away and vice versa the following season in the premiership. the bluebirds name is going to remain. Be interesting to see when Carl lets this out ;)

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 pm

I actually like the idea of the City of Cardiff crest, after all, it was worn on our 1927 cup winners shirts. I like the blue /red fusion shirts [a combination for both home & away].

Don't like All red at home, & changing all the seats at the CCS to red would be a ludicrous waste of money, although i could live with a hint of red, similar to the hint of yellow that we currently have.
Our name Cardiff City AFC definitely can't be changed.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Neath Bluebird wrote:

Jes you had better get ready mate, because the badge is the one that is going. Blue home kit this year and red away and vice versa the following season in the premiership. the bluebirds name is going to remain. Be interesting to see when Carl lets this out ;)

Seems the Bluebird is staying on the badge after all....thank fuk lol, I would have been gutted having to follow through on principle but i would have. I for one will always chant "Bluebirds" from the terraces...erm i mean seating and don't think i will be alone. I've never given too much consideration to the colour we play in but i do need to see the Bluebird on the badge. Maybe in time my views will change and it is heartening to read that a Dragon was on our crest when we won the F.A. Cup.
Time will tell but i just think that this could have been done a lot simpler with alot more consideration given to Cardiff City fans.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:48 pm

first I thought I could accept a red home shirt if its guarenteed we always have a blue change strip (if we have Bluebirds crest), also could imagine playing some home ties in red and some in blue. Continental clubs do this sometimes to avoid clashes of colour.
in the meantime, cos the Malaysians lied to us all, I changed my opinion, as I cant trust them anymore, even if they would promise us we always have a blue shirt from time to time

Bluebird has to be in the centre of attention, Karl's designs are an alternative with both Bluebird and the Dragon. Will never ever accept a that thing we have now

Not that important as I dont feel home anymore, since we left Ninian

Dont care about that

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Hofmeister wrote:Shirt Colour: (Home and Away)
first I thought I could accept a red home shirt if its guarenteed we always have a blue change strip (if we have Bluebirds crest), also could imagine playing some home ties in red and some in blue. Continental clubs do this sometimes to avoid clashes of colour.
in the meantime, cos the Malaysians lied to us all, I changed my opinion, as I cant trust them anymore, even if they would promise us we always have a blue shirt from time to time

Bluebird has to be in the centre of attention, Karl's designs are an alternative with both Bluebird and the Dragon. Will never ever accept a that thing we have now

Not that important as I dont feel home anymore, since we left Ninian

Dont care about that

an excellent post well laid out.
I don't like the Badge we have now but i'm really hoping that a change is made to it at some point. I agree that some of the mock up badges were great and i personally liked the red/blue fusion kit with the dragon on the jersey as apposed to the badge.