Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Earthquake, not on news

Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 am

Had a 5.6 - 5.8 earthquake in Sofia at around 3.00am this morning and nothing on the main news channels. Luckily no casualties have been reported and surprisingly little damage. I'm staying on the 8th floor of a hotel and the whole building was moving at least a metre so how there's was no damage I know not.

Re: Earthquake, not on news

Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 am

Willy the Wombat wrote:Had a 5.6 - 5.8 earthquake in Sofia at around 3.00am this morning and nothing on the main news channels. Luckily no casualties have been reported and surprisingly little damage. I'm staying on the 8th floor of a hotel and the whole building was moving at least a metre so how there's was no damage I know not.

I've got clients in Bulgaria at present mate - do you know if it has been felt elsewhere. They are in Black Sea area today and tomorrow.

Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 am

Willy the Wombat wrote:Had a 5.6 - 5.8 earthquake in Sofia at around 3.00am this morning and nothing on the main news channels. Luckily no casualties have been reported and surprisingly little damage. I'm staying on the 8th floor of a hotel and the whole building was moving at least a metre so how there's was no damage I know not.

Found this which should be in English...

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=139589

It was as strong as the weekend one in Italy so quite why it hasn't made mainstream news is something of a mystery.

Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:

I've got clients in Bulgaria at present mate - do you know if it has been felt elsewhere. They are in Black Sea area today and tomorrow.

They will be fine, it hit west Bulgaria more or less north of Lovech (can't spell that in English) to Blagoevgrad centered somewhere near Pernik so some 450 kilometers from the Black Sea. Latest is there are a few minor injuries and a couple of buildings collapsed near Pernik. I used to take the piss out of Bulgarian building techniques but I won't do that again!!

Tue May 22, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks mate - you've put my mind at rest. Hope all is ok with you.

Tue May 22, 2012 3:57 pm

The welsh website, floodwarn (supports cardiff too) has live info on eartquakes and volcanos including live cameras, the owner is season ticket holder at ccfc. Take a look there as info is as it happens and weather too.