Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I've Absolutely Loved My First Season Here

Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 am

The city itself, the people in South Wales and, in particular, the supporters of Cardiff City.

We all loved it to Malkay.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Malky Mackay loved everything about first season at Cardiff City

Malky Mackay
In the first of an exclusive two-part interview, STEVE TUCKER speaks to Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay about his reflections on an incredible season

MALKY Mackay is not a man to live in the past – but when pressed on his thoughts on the campaign just gone he lets his guard slip for a moment.

“I tell you what,” he offers.

“To be honest, if when I came here you’d have said we would be at the top end of the table challenging all season and that we’d reach the Carling Cup final, well, I would have called you a liar.”

It is hard to disagree.

It was June 18 last year when the redoubtable Scot rolled into the Welsh capital to face a training ground more notable for who was missing than who was present.

The rebuilding job was started late, had to be swift, and had to be done on a budget – and it was.

The fact Mackay guided the Bluebirds to the Championship play-offs might not have stretched credulity too far.

After all, the Bluebirds had been there the two previous seasons – but with a roster of players Mackay could only have dreamed of that first day.

But the play-offs were secured if only to end in disappointment again as West Ham, this time, proved a bridge too far for Mackay and his battling players.

The trip to Wembley, of course, against Liverpool was pure fantasy and unsurprisingly Mackay’s own highlight of his first campaign.

“It was an incredible day. I can honestly say I will never forget it,” he recalls.

“To lead my side out at Wembley and just gaze across and see 40,000 Cardiff fans all going mad.

“It was just fantastic. I had a lump in my throat.”

Indeed Mackay admits to having fallen under their spell of the Bluebirds’ faithful totally, adding: “I’ve absolutely loved my first season here.

“The city itself, the people in South Wales and, in particular, the supporters of Cardiff City.

“I think it must be that fellow Celts thing, but the way we have been welcomed has been phenomenal.

“It has made things so much easier for me.”

What Mackay is most proud of though, really, is not an event, but what he describes as “the embracing of his ethos” at the club he took charge of after leaving Watford.

It was not just in terms of signing players either, although the arrival of young prospects like Joe Mason and Rudy Gestede, unknown in South Wales until Mackay cast his eye over them, was impressive.

What has pleased Mackay most about his first campaign has been the willingness of everyone at the club to buy into what he wanted.

From bringing in a new management team to opening new departments in sports science and nutrition, Mackay has been amazed that such seismic off-field changes have been absorbed whilst matters on the pitch were successful too.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1vZuyktGe

Re: I've Absolutely Loved My First Season Here

Tue May 22, 2012 7:05 am

I got so much man love for this bloke, he the real deal, let's make sure we return the loyalty and not turn on him like a pack of wolves at the first sign of trouble, loyalty is a two way thing. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2012 7:51 am

BigGwynram wrote:I got so much man love for this bloke, he the real deal, let's make sure we return the loyalty and not turn on him like a pack of wolves at the first sign of trouble, loyalty is a two way thing. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Totally agree,what he has achieved in his first season here is nothing short of remarkable,he is already
a legend in my book,and i have every faith in him to take this club back to the top flight where it belongs :love4: man love yeah baby... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 am

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
vikinblue wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:I got so much man love for this bloke, he the real deal, let's make sure we return the loyalty and not turn on him like a pack of wolves at the first sign of trouble, loyalty is a two way thing. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Totally agree,what he has achieved in his first season here is nothing short of remarkable,he is already
a legend in my book,and i have every faith in him to take this club back to the top flight where it belongs :love4: man love yeah baby... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2012 10:04 am

Gary, you cut the interview short!
Here's the other half! ;)

“The fact there needed to be so much change in such a short space of time and the way it was handled is a real credit to everyone,” he said.

“I arrived here a different manager who did things differently and people had to adapt.

“They have done that.

“It did feel at times like a bit of whirlwind if I’m honest, trying to alter things and introduce others when at times you just felt there was not going to be enough time to do it.

“But everyone coped, that’s the thing I’m most proud of, the way people bought into our way of doing things.”

On the pitch, if there were incredible highs there was also disappointment at times – failings that Mackay now admits to.

The season got off to a flying start and by the halfway point Cardiff found themselves real contenders for an automatic promotion push.

But the season trailed off, despite City still making that admirable sixth-placed finish and a play-off spot.

The Bluebirds found them squandering too many points from winning positions and snatching draws and defeats from the jaws of victory.

“There were times we didn’t play as well as we should have and there were games, we didn’t win when he should have,” said Mackay.

“But overall a lot of that was down to the size of our squad and we also had a lot of young players who were really finding their feet as things went along.

“A team that is going to be challenging at the very top of the table has cover all the way across the park.

“We had a bit of bad luck with injuries at times and the cover was just not there.”

Reflecting on last season many might point to the January transfer window as a turning point.

Though substantial bids were put in for Marvin Sordell at Watford, Brighton’s Craig Noone and Blackpool’s Matt Phillips, none of them materialised.

Mackay, though, new it would be tough, saying: “I said at the time that January is not an easy market if you are trying to buy.

“Buying clubs are going to find it difficult because often clubs just don’t need to sell then.

“I think that is shown in the deals that were done. Of them all, maybe Jason Roberts to Reading was just about the only one that had any real impact.

“And let’s be honest that was a gamble, but it paid off.”

Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 am

We should start the Malky statue collection now, because it's going to happen. :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am

I've Absolutely Loved HIS First Season Here :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2012 11:30 am

Love the way he almost always mentions the fans in his press conferences

Tue May 22, 2012 12:45 pm

He's going to be a legend here.

Tue May 22, 2012 1:22 pm

I can feel all the man love today :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2012 8:59 pm

The guy just puts everything into the job.
He speaks volumes of the club and has great love for the club and the city! :ayatollah:

Wed May 23, 2012 8:47 am

When he came to Maesteg you could see that he was a man who knew what he wanted and how to go about getting it, it may take time, but I think when he puts together the side that he wants, I feel we will all be in for a great journey together, hopefully to the PL :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Wed May 23, 2012 10:17 am

vikinblue wrote:Totally agree,what he has achieved in his first season here is nothing short of remarkable,he is already

Carling Cup final aside (which was a remarkable achievement) I don't think he's done that well tbh. The football is no better, players still have no time on the ball, can't string many passes together for long enough periods in a game , the defence is all over the place, the football for most of the 2nd part of the season dire and boring, no plan B even when plan A goes to cock and some of the signings have been totally suspect if not a joke...

Earnie - A complete an utter joke and a waste of a good wage

Miller - It's an insult to the striking profession to call him a Striker and he's a complete a joke to make him our number 1 striker and highest paid player

Conway - A decent player but with no pace and no skill can't take on players much less out pass them, so why is he out on the Wings?

Rudy Gestede - Our very own Sick note

Kadeem Harris - Does Malky intend to play him ? or is he just another sit on the bench and laugh all the way to the bank typical Cardiff signing

So I really don't get the Malky love in , other than he comes across has genuine a nice bloke, speaks a good game and dare a forget shows a bit of emotion (yes that makes all the difference :lol: ). Malky got a lot to prove this season (and yes he needs another season) for me - The football needs to much better, we need class not work ethic on the wings and up front, the dire 1 up front formation needs to be dropped too.

I think the Club should have gone after Ian Holloway myself

Wed May 23, 2012 10:36 am

You do have some good points, but don't forget the shit state the club was in when he showed up...

Wed May 23, 2012 3:09 pm

CraigMc wrote:You do have some good points, but don't forget the shit state the club was in when he showed up...

That's why I think Malky needs another season , buy the Club was in far more of a mess when Jones took over and its not like Blackpool was a bundle of laughs when Ian Holloway was brought into Blackpool (and he took them up in his 1st year) never mind the job Chris Hughton done at Birmingham or in his 1st year with Newcastle or what Rodgers done with Swansea , There's a big list of Managers that done wonders in their 1st year at a Club .

Malky needs to sort out and address the lack class at the the Club - Other than Whitt's we have no game changers at the Club and a complete lack of class and finishing up front, bar Mason. Work ethic is fine and all that, but its goals and winning that makes your day as a fan really