Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why Cardiff City should sign Paul Scharner

Tue May 22, 2012 5:33 am

With the talented Chris Wood up for grabs, Nicky Shorey, Joe Mattock plus Paul Scharner all released, West Brom's cast off's are sure to generate plenty of interest this summer.

Despite featuring 28 times for West Brom last season, Scharner failed to feature in 25 matches for 20 minutes or more, which would have activated a clause in his contract, entitling him to a 12-month extension. He has since announced his intention to seek pastures new and is certainly a player that Cardiff should pursue.

The versatile 32-year-old Austrian is a seasoned Premier League performer, joining Wigan in 2005 in a £2.5m deal from SK Brann, before moving to West Brom two years ago. He is keen to remain in Britain, despite interest from overseas, but may be reluctant to drop down a division, recently declaring his desire to remain in the Premier League.

"There are a few interested people, from other leagues abroad as well." Scharner explained, "If you play six seasons in the Premier League, then of course you want to stay in it. I am proud to be the only Austrian player to reach 200 appearances in the Premier League and now I'm looking to make it count. I always said my target was 10 years at this level."

A colourful character, in both his eccentric personality and the colours he has frequently dyed his hair, he is usually utilised as either a centre back or in central midfield, but has filled in all over the pitch. A cult hero at both Wigan and West Brom, he was publically critical of West Brom's decision to abolish fines for misdemeanours and demands high standards, earning an unflattering nickname in the process.

"When I first came to the club I got called Moanivator." Scharner has revealed. "Now my question is do my colleagues want to get relegated with a nice Paul Scharner or stay in the league and put up with the 'Moanivator'? I am very passionate about this because at the end of the season it will say on my CV that I've either survived or been relegated."

He has discussed his love of classical music on Radio 3 and has previously invited Midlands media representatives to a 'meet and greet' at a Birmingham hotel, that concluded with a PowerPoint presentation of his finest goals. He would certainly brighten the place up, but most importantly, he would bring experience to a young squad rich in potential.

Michael Appleton, now Portsmouth manager but formerly West Brom's assistant manager, was full of praise for Scharner during his time at the club. "Paul is what he is, he's a character and he's got a lot to say for himself at times but not in a bad way. He thinks about his football and cares about his football and you only have to look at him physically to know that he looks after himself."

Versatile, professional, experienced and available, what are you waiting for Malky? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Why Cardiff City should sign Paul Scharner

Tue May 22, 2012 6:07 am

I couldn't agree more, but if I was in charge of most of the bottom half Premier League clubs I'd be banging his door down to get him on board.

We all know that we need pace out wide, an effective target man and some depth, we would be mad not to be trying to bring in players of this calibre, if he would drop down a division then I'd be over the moon to see him in a City top.

Also Lloyd Sam was released from Leeds, was that down to attitude? Is he a lost cause? Pacey, still pretty young and had a great seasin for them a couple of years ago.

Tue May 22, 2012 6:12 am

As I live in Wigan I have seen quite a bit of Paul Scharner and when I first heard his name associated with the City my thoughts were that is one player who would add value to our club.

Wigan played him both in Midfield and in Defence. In Defence he is the solid McNaughton type who can go forward with the ball. In midfield I can only describe him as a "rock".

I dont know why he was sold from the DW Stadium but suffice to say many Wigan Supporters were "up in arms".

Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 am

A powerpoint presentation of his best goals! Has he got an ego? Mr moanivator!! A good player but would he pass Malky's personality test in order to fit in to the group? :ayatollah: