Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: FANS FROM 2001 ONWARDS

Mon May 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Hiya mate! Alright? wrote:Totally agree with you Gwyn, we had our moments and great banter, but for those who are not old enough, can't quite remember or wear rose tinted specs, here's a little reminder of what it was really like.

City90s.jpg

Memories in that photo.

My first full season was 82-83 and my dad and i only missed the wrexham game at start of season. Watched most games from enclosure and canton stand-you could transfer from 1 to the other and it cost a quid for dad and 50p for me!

2 years later we got season tickets were in centre grandstand and had same seats for 2 years as CCFC plummeted from div 2 to div 4 under Durban. After that spent most games watching from bob bank. Virtually gave up in 95-97 due to living miles away and got back into it when my 1st son was born in 97-took him to watch us play carlisle when he was 8 weeks old. We won 2-0and got into play offs and he slept all the way through!

Mon May 21, 2012 8:32 pm

I much prefer the new stadium for the everyday run of the mill league games.
But nothing could compare with np on big game occasions. But saying that np early 90s wasn't a place I could describe as exillirating I'm sure I saw tumble weed roll past me on a few occasions .

Mon May 21, 2012 8:40 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Are there many on this forum, and if so do any of you realise how bad things were for many years before this period, lot's of fans, me included have many happy memories and witnessed some great and mad times, but in truth, I spent as much time questioning what I was doing there at times. :old:

You,re right gwyn, i,ve followed the city since 1973, i once went 10 years (1974-84) without missing an away league game and although i,ve great memories with the cwmbran lads and all the other city fans i,ve met most of the time it was crap, going to places which looked like the end of the earth and getting thumped wasn,t nice at all.

Mon May 21, 2012 8:41 pm

Started on my own (without the old man) in 82 aged 14, managed to see a fair few relegations, always surprised how much prouder I felt when the final relegation nail went into the coffer, as the singing and chants were even more loyal and passionate.

Stopped in 89 when college got in the way, then Saturday afternoon football. Returned during the Eddie May era, fell away when I got married, returned mid way through the season before last with my 10 year old daughter.

In hindsight the 80's were wild, Pompey, Chelsea, Man city, Bristol's were mad, I was scared witless half the time, drunk on adrenaline the other. But remember this had very little to do with football, it was just the vehicle.

Ninian Park and all that it stood for kept embers of that time alight for a few, our new sanitised home is only a hundred metres away but light years from those days. I would never have brought my wife and kids to NP it was a medieval shit hole.

Time for a few to call it a day, get off the bus, the buzz has gone. But a time for more to join who can't envisage how bad it was if you were only there for the football.

Mon May 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Gutted to be classed as one of the plastic era. Loved city from the age of 7, but there we go...

Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 pm

I started supporting Cardiff in 2005 when I was 9.

I love Cardiff as much as anyone who's been supporting this club for decades, some people can't accept that because I wasn't born which I think is pathetic.

Mon May 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:
himynameismartyn wrote:
NinianParkWasMyWife wrote:anyone who wasn't there in the clemo, wright or kumar days is a plastic regardless of age ect. FACT

So if you happen to be born after this era, then you are classed as a plastic??

Just stop your pathetic moaning and be glad at the support Cardiff get nowadays..

Oh f**k me, we have a f*cking winner of the most arrogant and obnoxious post award. Iv'e read it all now :old:

YOU should be grateful that the loyal harcore support have welcomed the plastic army in, to think that we should be greatful for young plastics like you supporting the club, watering down the atmosphere and checking the the man yoo score every second is laughable.

If I have my way you would have to pass a bluebirds test to get entry to the ground, the plastic army is growing :old:

Yes i am ever so grateful, i honestly wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise..
Are you one of the awesome people who chants 'loyal supporters' at home games?

I've supported Cardiff for 15 years so yeah i guess am a plastic.. and yes, i support Man United and that's how i got into football and that's how i got into supporting Cardiff.

How do you think clubs get new fans? Football changes.. and it has alot over the past 10 years and it will again in another 10 years but i guess you'll just be reminiscing on old 'glories' to ignore that fact that another new breed of football fans will start supporting Cardiff.

Mon May 21, 2012 9:09 pm

We've all been young once and had to start supporting City (or another club) at one point or another but was everyone who was a fan before 2001 considered "plastic".

If being a Season Ticket holder for 4 years now (including next season) and loving the club as much as anyone else is being a "plastic" then I'm plastic and proud :D :ayatollah:

The older generations always ask for respect and never show us any. :roll:

Mon May 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Sorry guys you are just a pair of plastics......

Nah only joking, I think a plastic is the Man U, probably citeh now, Chelski, Arsenal, Liverpool "fan" who has the mug but never seen them live.

You my guys just happen to be born in an era of hope and expectation, trust me if its football you want you have missed nothing.

Although Blakey's goal against Citeh was special :ayatollah:

Mon May 21, 2012 9:16 pm

When I was a young lad back in the 1970's I used to here the same thing about the 1950's and 60's from older supporters and how things had changed for the worse/better.

Times move on and todays younger generation are probably the luckiest Cardiff City supporters since the golden age of the 1920's, because if we play our cards right this club is going on a trophy winning spree :ayatollah:

Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
NinianParkWasMyWife wrote:anyone who wasn't there in the clemo, wright or kumar days is a plastic regardless of age ect. FACT

What about Jim Cadman era?

I had a T Shirt that read i support the Jim Cadman Consortium anyone remember them :?: :lol:

Mon May 21, 2012 9:38 pm

i have been supporter since 1956 and to the bluebird since 1948 who says plastics should be gratefull to hardcore allowing them in i would say prior to you era we had big crowd mainly families who were driven fromn football by the hooligan element of our supporters who think they are the only people with the right to be city fans the tide has turned families are coming back just accept it your days of ruling the club are over a supporter is a suporter however long they have been coming and they pay their money the same as you

Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 pm

My first Cardiff game was in 1999< so I just qualify as a non-plastic! ha.

Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Sorry guys you are just a pair of plastics......

Nah only joking, I think a plastic is the Man U, probably citeh now, Chelski, Arsenal, Liverpool "fan" who has the mug but never seen them live.

You my guys just happen to be born in an era of hope and expectation, trust me if its football you want you have missed nothing.

Although Blakey's goal against Citeh was special :ayatollah:

Any plastic is a fan who says they support a team wether its Cardiff or Man U and never goes, just sits in the pub or at home and never bothers going! there is a big case of this with Liverpool in South Wales, who have more "fans" in South Wales than City ans the Jacks put together!

Mon May 21, 2012 10:37 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:And if it is anyones business, I still managed to make plenty of matches pre 2001 despite the handicap of living in poverty ridden Ireland, and having only been born in 1987. It wasn't as bad as the more 'senior' demographic of our supporters like to make out, the poor martyrs they.

Eh? Poverty ridden Ireland in 1987 your having a laugh. First EU lot to have free money, not grants, loans totally free for fecks sake. Billions upon Billions of Euro's and what did you do with it? Spunked it.

OK fine a few new roads, some money well spent and indeed well spent but what happened to the rest of the loot?

Covered the purchases of the drug dealers once Mrs Thatcher and big Ronny had sorted the "american connection" perhaps?

The only folk that live in poverty in Ireland do so of their own vacation. It's a big wide world out there and I tend to meet a lot more Irish folk than any other nationality.

:ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2012 2:13 am

Such a pathetic group of people. I have supported cardiff since 2001 and I really don't think I can be called a plastic. Been to a lot of away games, supported them since I was 10(when all my mates supported man u) and pay a lot more for a season ticket than most of you(giving back to the club). Just because you was born when Cardiff were not so good does not make you more of a supporter.

Tue May 22, 2012 6:49 am

I was fortunate that my first game came during the Eddie May league winning season.

Not that I can remember much being 4 but I am told it was a home game versus the mighty Bury.

Turning up to games in my full Cardiff kit. Shame I can't pull that off at 24.

Tue May 22, 2012 12:11 pm

went to 1st game in 1999 been season ticket holder since 2003/4 season :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2012 12:16 pm

i hate anyone who supports cardiff but also supports a prem side for me thats worse than just being a classic man u plastic ive always supported cardiff and no other club even when i was like 4 years old and people asked me who I supported i'd say Cardiff city and be proud of the fact i didn't support man u, liverpool ect. like evryone else

Tue May 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:"Fans from 2001 onwards" - Do not have a clue about this club, the plastic army formed around then. Gwyn I also questioned why I was down NP a lot as well, but nowadays I question why the younger generations are here when all they do is check the Man United score - there first team :old: :old:

You are an imbecile of gargantuan proportions.

Tue May 22, 2012 12:55 pm

I started supporting City in 1975 when we were in the old Div 2. We had one good season and then it was down hill - with the odd promotion / relegation yo-yo... but great times. We were lucky really because we expected nothing but a struggle at the start of every season so expectation was low. People who started supporting the city between then and 2000 experienced the same expectation levels.

However the new brand of fans (kids reaching teenage age up to about 20yrs) have started supporting the Bluebirds when expectation levels are rising. We, the older generation, even dare to dream on promotion - so for them to expect a higher level of football is not an area for criticism.

It's not their fault that we are now a semi-successful side. It doesn't make them plastic either - they pay their dues in the same way that we did when we started. The plastic fans could be perceived as being the ones who have ignored City through their formative lives and now, at the age of 30+ are starting to follow us because we are now becoming successful.

Tue May 22, 2012 1:22 pm

himynameismartyn wrote:

Just stop your pathetic moaning and be glad at the support Cardiff get nowadays..

Oh f**k me, we have a f*cking winner of the most arrogant and obnoxious post award. Iv'e read it all now :old:

YOU should be grateful that the loyal harcore support have welcomed the plastic army in, to think that we should be greatful for young plastics like you supporting the club, watering down the atmosphere and checking the the man yoo score every second is laughable.

If I have my way you would have to pass a bluebirds test to get entry to the ground, the plastic army is growing :old:

Fair play mate,if this was a fishing competition,you'd have a netfull. :lol: :lol:

Tue May 22, 2012 1:29 pm

I went to every away match last season and our younger fans were always the most vocal to be fair
fair play if you went to stockport away in 1994 and all that but times have changed

Tue May 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
himynameismartyn wrote:

Fair play mate,if this was a fishing competition,you'd have a netfull. :lol: :lol:

Bite bite bite :old: :old:

Funny that it's the younger Generations that are biting :old:

Tue May 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
himynameismartyn wrote:

Bite bite bite :old: :old:

Funny that it's the younger Generations that are biting :old:

Pointless, boring wind-up merchant.

Not Even A Bluebird Since 19.48hrs.

Tue May 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Bite

Tue May 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:Bite

Bitch, boring bitch.

Go somewhere else.

Tue May 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:Bite

The luxury of not having false f*cking teeth

Tue May 22, 2012 9:34 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Are there many on this forum, and if so do any of you realise how bad things were for many years before this period, lot's of fans, me included have many happy memories and witnessed some great and mad times, but in truth, I spent as much time questioning what I was doing there at times. :old:

Watched an LDV Vans game against Peterborough in a midweek game in 2001, lost 3-1 and didn't even see the cardiff goal as we left jaut before the 90 mins. Been hooked ever since.

Dis you think "These youngsters don't know how bad wev had it" while filling up your buses??

Tue May 22, 2012 10:29 pm

BigGwynram wrote:I think it was the bad days that gave us our identity, it was a bit like West ham this year, when we getting stuffed, all the banter comes out and we make our won fun.

And the Crowd Made more Noise Cris Pike Top Striker lmao First game was away v swansea lmao last but one of the bob bank terace cant remember the year 90 0r 91