Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FANS FROM 2001 ONWARDS

Mon May 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Are there many on this forum, and if so do any of you realise how bad things were for many years before this period, lot's of fans, me included have many happy memories and witnessed some great and mad times, but in truth, I spent as much time questioning what I was doing there at times. :old:

Re: FANS FROM 2001 ONWARDS

Mon May 21, 2012 5:36 pm

"Fans from 2001 onwards" - Do not have a clue about this club, the plastic army formed around then. Gwyn I also questioned why I was down NP a lot as well, but nowadays I question why the younger generations are here when all they do is check the Man United score - there first team :old: :old:

Mon May 21, 2012 5:39 pm

My dad took me to my first game in 1988 when I was 4 years old in a 2-0 defeat against Doncaster. I've been a loyal supporter ever since although I missed a few seasons inbetween because I played welsh league football and had to take a job that involved me working weekends sometimes, but apart from that i have gone to most games every season and have been a season ticket holder for the majority of seasons. Great times looking back and I am proud to have been there during our darker days as they were still great days, especially during the Eddie May era! :ayatollah:

Mon May 21, 2012 5:42 pm

yer been there since 1976 season.

lots of changes some for the good some I think not for the good
but things move on and theres a different generation of fans now.

I cant imagine how they would re-act to the scenes after the game in early 80's

it was a experience going in those days, but as i have 3 kids going down now glad
those days gone, not sure how they would of enjoyed it with less than 3K down there
some times and less than a 100 at some away games.

but even in the bad days some great humour down there, getting relagated and the
fans singing diviosion 2 is upside down !!

Mon May 21, 2012 6:01 pm

I think it was the bad days that gave us our identity, it was a bit like West ham this year, when we getting stuffed, all the banter comes out and we make our won fun.

Mon May 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Totally agree with you Gwyn, we had our moments and great banter, but for those who are not old enough, can't quite remember or wear rose tinted specs, here's a little reminder of what it was really like.

City90s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Are there many on this forum, and if so do any of you realise how bad things were for many years before this period, lot's of fans, me included have many happy memories and witnessed some great and mad times, but in truth, I spent as much time questioning what I was doing there at times. :old:

Thinly veiled 'anyone under the age of 30 isn't allowed an opinion on anything involving our club'' thread.

Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:Are there many on this forum, and if so do any of you realise how bad things were for many years before this period, lot's of fans, me included have many happy memories and witnessed some great and mad times, but in truth, I spent as much time questioning what I was doing there at times. :old:

Thinly veiled 'anyone under the age of 30 isn't allowed an opinion on anything involving our club'' thread.

Troll alert :roll:

Mon May 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Hiya mate! Alright? wrote:

Troll alert :roll:

How am I a troll?

Mon May 21, 2012 6:27 pm

:lol:

Mon May 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Nothing wrong with that :old:

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:My dad took me to my first game in 1988 when I was 4 years old in a 2-0 defeat against Doncaster. I've been a loyal supporter ever since although I missed a few seasons inbetween because I played welsh league football and had to take a job that involved me working weekends sometimes, but apart from that i have gone to most games every season and have been a season ticket holder for the majority of seasons. Great times looking back and I am proud to have been there during our darker days as they were still great days, especially during the Eddie May era! :ayatollah:

My Dad took me to my first game in the '88 season too. Hereford in the FA Cup I believe. Less than 3000 there.

I didn't start going down regularly until 2001/2002 though, only going to a few home games a season before that. I don't consider myself any less of a fan because I missed the majority of the bad times though. :roll:

And if it is anyones business, I still managed to make plenty of matches pre 2001 despite the handicap of living in poverty ridden Ireland, and having only been born in 1987. It wasn't as bad as the more 'senior' demographic of our supporters like to make out, the poor martyrs they.

Mon May 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Madlock wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:My dad took me to my first game in 1988 when I was 4 years old in a 2-0 defeat against Doncaster. I've been a loyal supporter ever since although I missed a few seasons inbetween because I played welsh league football and had to take a job that involved me working weekends sometimes, but apart from that i have gone to most games every season and have been a season ticket holder for the majority of seasons. Great times looking back and I am proud to have been there during our darker days as they were still great days, especially during the Eddie May era! :ayatollah:

My Dad took me to my first game in the '88 season too. Hereford in the FA Cup I believe. Less than 3000 there.

I didn't start going down regularly until 2001/2002 though, only going to a few home games a season before that. I don't consider myself any less of a fan because I missed the majority of the bad times though. :roll:

Neither do I mate, I had to miss our first ever league game in our new stadium at home to Scunthorpe because I couldn't get out of working that Saturday, some fans would love to see the majority of our games but they can't because of circumstances like work, family etc and anyone saying these people are any less of a fan need to grow up.

I think the crowd was just over 2,000 for my first game against Doncaster, they played in green shirts, white shorts and green socks, they were second in the league at the time and we were in the bottom half, the likes of Pat Herd were playing for us and we really were a dire team back then!

Mon May 21, 2012 6:39 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:And if it is anyones business, I still managed to make plenty of matches pre 2001 despite the handicap of living in poverty ridden Ireland, and having only been born in 1987. It wasn't as bad as the more 'senior' demographic of our supporters like to make out, the poor martyrs they.

Apologies if I read into your post wrong mate, I just didn't see how you interpreted Gwyn's original post to read "anyone under the age of 30 isn't allowed an opinion on anything involving our club''. With all these "I'd rather be Blue in Divsion 2" banners, I read it that Gwyn was saying do we actually remember how bad some of those games were.

Everyone from our oldest supporter to kids who are in their first season or two are more than entitled to have an opinion and all opinions should be valued to build up the bigger picture.

Mon May 21, 2012 7:01 pm

anyone who wasn't there in the clemo, wright or kumar days is a plastic regardless of age ect. FACT

Mon May 21, 2012 7:02 pm

NinianParkWasMyWife wrote:anyone who wasn't there in the clemo, wright or kumar days is a plastic regardless of age ect. FACT

I can't agree enough with these sentiments :old:

Mon May 21, 2012 7:06 pm

NinianParkWasMyWife wrote:anyone who wasn't there in the clemo, wright or kumar days is a plastic regardless of age ect. FACT

isittt?

Mon May 21, 2012 7:12 pm

So if you happen to be born after this era, then you are classed as a plastic??

Just stop your pathetic moaning and be glad at the support Cardiff get nowadays..

Mon May 21, 2012 7:17 pm

Sorry i wasnt born early enough. Blame my parents or grand-parents :roll:
Pathetic quote.

Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 pm

himynameismartyn wrote:

Just stop your pathetic moaning and be glad at the support Cardiff get nowadays..

well said.

Mon May 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Sorry i wasnt born early enough. Blame my parents or grand-parents :roll:
Pathetic quote.

WHOOOSH :lol:

Mon May 21, 2012 7:28 pm

himynameismartyn wrote:

Oh f**k me, we have a f*cking winner of the most arrogant and obnoxious post award. Iv'e read it all now :old:

YOU should be grateful that the loyal harcore support have welcomed the plastic army in, to think that we should be greatful for young plastics like you supporting the club, watering down the atmosphere and checking the the man yoo score every second is laughable.

If I have my way you would have to pass a bluebirds test to get entry to the ground, the plastic army is growing :old:

Mon May 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:
himynameismartyn wrote:

Oh f**k me, we have a f*cking winner of the most arrogant and obnoxious post award. Iv'e read it all now :old:

YOU should be grateful that the loyal harcore support have welcomed the plastic army in, to think that we should be greatful for young plastics like you supporting the club, watering down the atmosphere and checking the the man yoo score every second is laughable.

If I have my way you would have to pass a bluebirds test to get entry to the ground, the plastic army is growing :old:

Ha!! You should be greatful us 'plastics' support the club. Because without plastics this club wouldnt exist. Already loosing a million a month, sure without plastics this club would have been down the drain years ago.

My first game was 8 years ago, and im not a season ticket holder because i play football more less every saturday afternoon. Otherwise id probably get one.

Mon May 21, 2012 7:36 pm

who did yoy play welsh league footall for i used to play for afan lido

Mon May 21, 2012 7:39 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:

who did yoy play welsh league footall for i used to play for afan lido

I wasn't as high a level as you then, I played for Llantwit Fardre in the third division. I remember playing against your reserves when I was coming back from injury mind and you battered us to be fair, although I think you was in europe the season before so it was to be expected really. I think you beat us 4-0 at your place and we spent most of the game chasing the ball. :lol:

Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm

As I really started getting into the City I had to move away!! Am desperate to get back and get a season ticket!! Am still a novice, plastic etc etc, but chomping at the bit to be a part of it all!

Mon May 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Guess I classed as a plastic saw my first game 1968 norwich toshack and George johnston scored was hooked from that moment on became season ticket owner thanks to my dad as I grew up and started work couldn't make all the games but I've only been to a couple of away games all them years I'm hoping to go abit more come following season miss the banter how times change huh?plastic i am and proud

Mon May 21, 2012 8:23 pm

What about Jim Cadman era?

Mon May 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:
himynameismartyn wrote:

Didnt realise you owned the club and had to have your permission to watch city play don't know who you think you are