Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Petter Whittingham

Fri May 18, 2012 8:52 pm

To be honest for me he isn't consistent enough. He starts to hit form he seems to go back to poor. For me hes not reliable enough for this new season and hopes he doesn't stay with us next season. That would leave us another position to fill but someone who is consistent and reliable.

Everyone has their opinion

Re: Petter Whittingham

Fri May 18, 2012 9:00 pm

mad-bad-brad wrote:To be honest for me he isn't consistent enough. He starts to hit form he seems to go back to poor. For me hes not reliable enough for this new season and hopes he doesn't stay with us next season. That would leave us another position to fill but someone who is consistent and reliable.

I disagree with u mate, thats my opinion and I respect yours.

Fri May 18, 2012 9:05 pm

He's a very good player, but I do agree he goes missing - now whether that is through fatigue, or the attrition-like way we play, or the opposition marking him out of the game - that I do not know.

Fri May 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Massive player for us, just rang out of steam. Would be a huge loss if he went elsewhere!

Fri May 18, 2012 10:46 pm

He needs to be played higher up with a dedicated DM behind him to save him tracking back, Malky has been using him deeper to compensate for not having a DM and he plays him in a deep playmaker way, which is not where he is effective. He should be in an attacking midfield role with permission to drift out wide to get a good cross in.

Hopefully he wont have to play the likes of Barnsley, Forest etc next season and we can save our talisman for the big games. But for those questioning him, in form he is by far our best player and a true weapon.

Fri May 18, 2012 10:47 pm

He has simply played to many games, we need other players to come in to be able to give him a rest.
We won't find a better player for his position but we can get a different type of player.

Fri May 18, 2012 10:48 pm

hes been poor this season. along with super kev. end of school report. must try harder :roll:

Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 pm

I don't understand all this "he's been poor" that people are saying.

I'm not sure what standards they expect of him?

Should he be scoring twenty goals every season, getting two dozens assists and having big moments every match?

Is double figures of goals and assists simply too low?

Fri May 18, 2012 10:55 pm

its because he gets marked out of the game all the time. hopefully next season we will have more stars so he will be inthe game

Fri May 18, 2012 10:57 pm

CantonJack wrote:its because he gets marked out of the game all the time. hopefully next season we will have more stars so he will be inthe game

so no plan b ? :roll:

Fri May 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Aramore wrote:I don't understand all this "he's been poor" that people are saying.

I'm not sure what standards they expect of him?

Should he be scoring twenty goals every season, getting two dozens assists and having big moments every match?

Is double figures of goals and assists simply too low?

I agree.
His form dipped but it happens. Goals, assists his stats have it all.

People see we need more flair but then have a go at witts, if we signed another cowie they would moan it more "work men".
Simply a class act

Fri May 18, 2012 11:00 pm

I only noticed his for dipping in the last few games, but I can't blame him. After all, he did play pretty much every game the season offered.

Fantastic player overall. Just imagine where we'd be without him.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 pm

mad-bad-brad wrote:To be honest for me he isn't consistent enough. He starts to hit form he seems to go back to poor. For me hes not reliable enough for this new season and hopes he doesn't stay with us next season. That would leave us another position to fill but someone who is consistent and reliable.

over rated choker in the big games - why villa let him go no doubt , skill but not a big game player

Fri May 18, 2012 11:23 pm

He's got Flair....not many city players have IMO, I'd wave him off for a decent price tho to be honest

Sat May 19, 2012 7:51 am

Does anybody realise what it would cost the club to replace a player with WHITTINGHAMS ability?. He is a top class player and they dont come cheap. :ayatollah:

Sat May 19, 2012 8:01 am

If whitts wants to leave cardiff which I dont think he does then he should be allowed to ,Id be the first to wish him all the best hes been one of the better players to wear the shirt
Agree that he simply played too many games last season but always tries his very best
When Jones was dealing with plenty of egos in his dressing room,peter just got on with it,didnt cry,and didnt f**k around off the pitch
leads by example without being vocal and fired up

Sat May 19, 2012 9:17 am

He is obvious a class player on his day but sadly those days are too few and far between. He never tackles which puts extra strain on his team mates who then have to do the job for him. Some of his performances this year have been great but some of them have merited him being substituted.

Sat May 19, 2012 9:44 am

Bluebird64 wrote:He is obvious a class player on his day but sadly those days are too few and far between. He never tackles which puts extra strain on his team mates who then have to do the job for him. Some of his performances this year have been great but some of them have merited him being substituted.

Never tackles? Did you watch the whole season. It was only in latter weeks when he ran out of legs. Put more tackles this season than probaby previous ones combine.

Sat May 19, 2012 10:26 am

Peter Whittingham ahas played almost every game this season mate. He's abviously going to drop in consistency and form when he feels his fatigue going low! Some fans have very short memories. I'd wait until we get a fully fit squad then we'll see if he is consistent enough.

The way he played at the end of the season was unacceptable, I agree, he should put in more effort and stop giving the ball away in his own half. He needs to play in an attacking position. However, Malky Mackay did say that seeing that we have no expectataions this year, he would try different positions, and try and get the best out of people. He did change positions, e.g. Whittingham dropping back, Mason on the wing, Gunnarsson pushing forward etc. However, he failed to change the players, causing the players to lack energy and morale for the final run in.

Simple resolution- buy new players, he has approximately 10 weeks to bring about 10 players in.

He's made a start, Joe Lewis as back up and he's freed the wage bill a bit.
One down, Nine to go. :ayatollah:

Sat May 19, 2012 10:32 am

shadwellblue wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:He is obvious a class player on his day but sadly those days are too few and far between. He never tackles which puts extra strain on his team mates who then have to do the job for him. Some of his performances this year have been great but some of them have merited him being substituted.

Never tackles? Did you watch the whole season. It was only in latter weeks when he ran out of legs. Put more tackles this season than probaby previous ones combine.

Agree with that,up until february whitts was phenomenal

Sat May 19, 2012 10:35 am

Hope he doesn't leave. He is one of star players and if we are to push on then he needs to stay.

Ran out of steam towards the end of campaign, also he needs a McPhail type player next to him to free him up.

Sat May 19, 2012 11:24 am

englishbluebird wrote:
shadwellblue wrote:

In all fairness I would say that Malky did try and address Whitts lack of tackling at the start of the season but it did not last very long. In the second half of the season, I could count the tackles he made on one hand. One of the biggest laughs we get in the Canton is when someone shouts "foot in Whitts".

Sat May 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Why are you so obsessed about his tackling?! :shock:

Sat May 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
englishbluebird wrote:
shadwellblue wrote:

In all fairness I would say that Malky did try and address Whitts lack of tackling at the start of the season but it did not last very long. In the second half of the season, I could count the tackles he made on one hand. One of the biggest laughs we get in the Canton is when someone shouts "foot in Whitts".

Stfu

Sat May 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Why are you so obsessed about his tackling?! :shock:

I am only obsessed by his lack of tackling. :lol:

Sat May 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Name a player who is just as good as Whitts that is consistent throughout the season, who is within our transfer/wage budget and would want to play for Cardiff? I can't think of anyone. Answer is simple. Keep Whitts.

Sat May 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Whitts wife has quit her job, he might be on his way

Sat May 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Pontyclun Blue wrote:Whitts wife has quit her job, he might be on his way

Christ, If I earned that much money I doubt my wife would work....

Tue May 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Pontyclun Blue wrote:Whitts wife has quit her job, he might be on his way

He's not married, surely? :lol:

He's got a girlfriend but not a wife, pretty sure about that.