Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I'm in Malaysia and the colour blue ...

Wed May 16, 2012 8:55 am

Visited a client in Penang / Malaysia today and the discussion of football came up over lunch . I mentioned that my supported team was owned by Vincent Tan and he immediately said you must support Cardiff and then went on to tell me how we lost to West Ham in the Playoffs :( . He knew a helluva alot about us then mentioned the Jacks and our relationship with our neighbours :old:
I then asked him about the colour blue and whether it held any bad luck significance in Malaysia and the fact that the owners wanted to go down the red route ? He knew of no bad luck associated with the colour blue but mentioned that Red is seen as prosperous within the Chinese culture and many get married in Red. For those that are familar with Malaysia you will know that there are many different cultures but in my experience the majority with wealth and business prowse are from a Chinese origin ... so it appears more about red than it does about the failure of the colour blue.

Re: I'm in Malaysia and the colour blue ...

Wed May 16, 2012 8:57 am

Dicey wrote:Visited a client in Penang / Malaysia today and the discussion of football came up over lunch . I mentioned that my supported team was owned by Vincent Tan and he immediately said you must support Cardiff and then went on to tell me how we lost to West Ham in the Playoffs :( . He knew a helluva alot about us then mentioned the Jacks and our relationship with our neighbours :old:
I then asked him about the colour blue and whether it held any bad luck significance in Malaysia and the fact that the owners wanted to go down the red route ? He knew of no bad luck associated with the colour blue but mentioned that Red is seen as prosperous within the Chinese culture and many get married in Red. For those that are familar with Malaysia you will know that there are many different cultures but in my experience the majority with wealth and business prowse are from a Chinese origin ... so it appears more about red than it does about the failure of the colour blue.

And what was it they said??? a Marriage of the two cultures!

Wed May 16, 2012 9:08 am

So it was said that Blue is a funeral colour, I know in China white is a funeral colour , but the Malaysian team plays in Blue .

Wed May 16, 2012 9:36 am

Like I said it appears that we are aiming for the Chinese market and maybe a certain businessman mentioned on this board ... Not a bad thing ! but the notions banded about the colour blue doesn't appear to have any merit.

Wed May 16, 2012 9:39 am

I don't think they ever said blue was unlucky. It's just people making stuff up again.

Wed May 16, 2012 9:53 am

Dicey wrote:Like I said it appears that we are aiming for the Chinese market and maybe a certain businessman mentioned on this board ... Not a bad thing ! but the notions banded about the colour blue doesn't appear to have any merit.

Staying with the Chinese culture thing .. The dragon is also looked upon as power , strength and good luck where as the European dragon is associated with bad luck ... so don't expect the dragon to be on the badge unless the owners have a say in the design .

Wed May 16, 2012 9:58 am

Dicey wrote:
Dicey wrote:Like I said it appears that we are aiming for the Chinese market and maybe a certain businessman mentioned on this board ... Not a bad thing ! but the notions banded about the colour blue doesn't appear to have any merit.

Staying with the Chinese culture thing .. The dragon is also looked upon as power , strength and good luck where as the European dragon is associated with bad luck ... so don't expect the dragon to be on the badge unless the owners have a say in the design .

What is a european dragon and who sees it as bad luck?

Wed May 16, 2012 10:15 am

Karl wrote:
Dicey wrote:

What is a european dragon and who sees it as bad luck?

The Chinese see the european dragon as bad luck ... The most obvious difference is that the Europenan dargon (I.e. Welsh) as wings where as the Chinese is more like a serpent .
Now who thougt that when they mentioned dragon on our badge that they mearn't the Welsh dragon ?

Wed May 16, 2012 10:19 am

Nobody ever said that Blue was unlucky :roll: They just said that red WAS a lucky colour

Wed May 16, 2012 10:42 am

welshcitydragon wrote:So it was said that Blue is a funeral colour, I know in China white is a funeral colour , but the Malaysian team plays in Blue .

Malaysia play in yellow and the 2nd kit is blue.

Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 am

Dicey wrote:Visited a client in Penang / Malaysia today and the discussion of football came up over lunch . I mentioned that my supported team was owned by Vincent Tan and he immediately said you must support Cardiff and then went on to tell me how we lost to West Ham in the Playoffs :( . He knew a helluva alot about us then mentioned the Jacks and our relationship with our neighbours :old:

According to research carried out by a company called Asian Sports Barometer a staggering 38% of Chinese football fans support Milan. The Rossoneri's nearest rivals in the affections of fans are Real Madrid who are suppored by 22.4% of fans in China. Manchester United are the third most supported side, according to the research, with 21.6%. Will we be marketing the minority..?

Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 am

All this talk about blue is unlucky and red us lucky is irrelevant !! The reason behind the change is pure financial , vt is not stupid he is a money making machine that's what he does best . Bring on the red birds !!!!!! It's the way forwards

Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 am

U must have been over the moon to see so many cardiff topd out there?iv heard they are out selling man u and all the other kits? :lol:

Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 am

[quote="swansealad69"]U must have been over the moon to see so many cardiff topd out there?iv heard they are out selling man u and all the other kits? :lol:[/quote

sarcastic twit( lad ) told you before dont mock the afflicted as you could become the afflicted youselves :lol:

Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 am

swansealad69 wrote:U must have been over the moon to see so many cardiff topd out there?iv heard they are out selling man u and all the other kits? :lol:

Wrong again, the main club in Malaysia is Man City. Infact they are huge out there, you see blue is the colour.

Wed May 16, 2012 12:26 pm

A Malaysian friend of mine says that Vincent Tan is of Chinese extraction.

StT.