Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ian Walsh's take on it all.

Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/1 ... um=twitter

Ian Walsh
Former Wales, Cardiff and Swansea forward
"Cardiff reached the Championship play-offs for a third season in a row, as well as the Carling Cup final, but the riches of the Premier League ultimately evaded the Bluebirds once again.
That has added further pressure on a club whose historical debt is understood to be around £20m.
"They came in when Cardiff City nearly got to the Premier League; they missed out and the money that that brings in," Walsh told the BBC's Radio Wales Sport programme.
"They went again, they plough - allegedly - over £1m a month just to keep the club going.
"There are no other investors with that type of money in the locality that are going to help the club survive at that level.
"So they've... ploughed in £30-50m and we have to come up with an idea, where are we going to get the money?
"They know the Far East, they know Malaysia. So to promote Cardiff City, to change them slightly to enhance it out in Malaysia, to get the revenue from the merchandise, that's where they thought.
"There's a rule coming in next year that you can only spend a certain percentage of your turnover. They were trying to generate turnover."
Walsh believes that now Cardiff fans realise the full financial reasons behind the proposed rebranding, many will now reconsider their initial reaction to the rebranding proposal.
"If you took a straw-poll tomorrow about whether you play in a different colour, but your club goes forward, the majority of Cardiff City fans would want the club to go forward," Walsh added.
"The alternatives are having a chief executive going on his hands and knees up to the inland revenue, begging for two or three months delay in paying the tax bill.
"Maybe not getting the money for Malky [manager Malky Mackay] to improve the squad, or the ground, or the training facilities to entice new players.
"That ultimately means your best players going, the club suffering, the players suffering and do you want to go back to the days of 3,000-6,000 people [watching home games].
"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Cardiff City and I sincerely hope... a little bit of compromise here and there, everybody goes forward together because that is the future.
"They've had an illustrious 100-plus years of history, but the game economically now is on its backside and without finance you've got no chance."

Re: Ian Walsh's take on it all.

Tue May 15, 2012 11:04 am

I think city fans see Walsh for what he really is, he hates us and we hate him - end of :o

Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 am

Whether he hates us or not he is spot on with his comments. If we do not undergo change we will be no longer simple as that.

I hope if the Malasyians bail out and we fold all these anti supporters come down the ground and watch us in the Welsh league with semi pro or amateur players.

Tue May 15, 2012 11:20 am

I think Walsh's comments are 'spot on'. Just my opinion and i'm Blue through and through. :cry: