Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" D-Day as board meets to decide on club's future TUESDAY "

Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 pm

TUESDAY MAY 15th 2012.

" Cardiff City fans set for D-Day as board meets to decide on club's future "

May 15 2012

Cardiff City chairman Dato Chan is meeting with the board
ANXIOUS Cardiff City supporters should know what the future holds for their club later today.

Search for Sports Events Tickets on eBay
Chairman Dato Chan Tien Ghee has arrived in the Welsh capital ahead of a board meeting due to start this morning.

The results of that are expected to be revealed sometime this evening.

There is doubt over the Malaysian backer’s level of involvement in the club after they dropped controversial plans to change the club’s home shirt from blue to red and ditch the current badge in favour of a dragon.

Many supporters were opposed to the proposals and the club’s backers, led by businessman Vincent Tan, reversed the decision late last week.

Tan has held in-depth discussions about the way forward in Malaysia and chairman ‘TG’ will relate the findings to the Bluebirds’ board today.

The City chairman held informal discussions with the club’s chief executive Alan Whitely last night ahead of today’s board meeting.

If the kit change had been ratified the Malaysians had vowed to take control of the club and pay of its existing debts with a major investment of £100m.

Plans were already underway for a new training ground located in the Welsh capital and an extension of the Bluebirds’ Stadium to a 35,000 capacity.

With the club saddled with major debts the withdrawal of the Malaysians backing would trigger a doomsday scenario at the club with administration a real possibility.

It looks unlikely that will be the case.

Early indications are the Malaysians, who have pumped nearly £40m in the club to keep it in operation over the last two years, will remain involved.

But there are suggestions their level of investment might now be curtailed and a longer timescale given to any developments.

They will also be seeking to bring further investors on board to move the club forward whilst still seeking to increase the club’s commercial potential in Malaysia and other Far eastern markets.

The Echo understands the kits planned for next year will still be used as their production has gone too far down the line to be reversed.

But the suggestion is now that the blue kit, which Tan had hoped would be used for away matches, will now be worn at home while the red kit will be Cardiff’s official away strip next season.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1utFVn3US

Re: " D-Day as board meets to decide on club's future today "

Mon May 14, 2012 11:46 pm

I can see another day without getting much work done tomorrow, but hopefully we will get some good news at the end of it :ayatollah:

Re: " D-Day as board meets to decide on club's future TUESDAY "

Tue May 15, 2012 12:34 am

Forever Blue wrote:But there are suggestions their level of investment might now be curtailed and a longer timescale given to any developments.

They will also be seeking to bring further investors on board to move the club forward whilst still seeking to increase the club’s commercial potential in Malaysia and other Far eastern markets.

On the face of it this seems to be a small price to pay for the return of our badge and colours but will most be happy with the slower pace when the suggestion was that we would be moving quickly with immediate investment.

Re: " D-Day as board meets to decide on club's future today "

Tue May 15, 2012 12:38 am

North Wales Blue wrote:I can see another day without getting much work done tomorrow, but hopefully we will get some good news at the end of it :ayatollah:

My daughters school was flooded so I had to take a day off with her tomorrow. All I see is a day on the net again which seems to have started early. Work may have at least kept me busy.

Tue May 15, 2012 12:54 am

In work now so when I wake tomorrow, i'm hoping for some positive news :)

Tue May 15, 2012 6:31 am

cant wait to end all this uncertainty and get a final decision my feeling is he will invest but the level of investment will be far less.Also I think there will be more surprises.Lets just get this done and out of the way.

Tue May 15, 2012 6:41 am

Huge day indeed.

I have a feeling that we haven't heard the last of the red kit and am hoping some compromising plans can be drawn up that won't hit us fans too hard.

The kits are already in for production it's just which one they decide to use next season? £100millon question that.

Tue May 15, 2012 6:49 am

Forever Blue wrote:
The Echo understands the kits planned for next year will still be used as their production has gone too far down the line to be reversed.

But the suggestion is now that the blue kit, which Tan had hoped would be used for away matches, will now be worn at home while the red kit will be Cardiff’s official away strip next season.

This is interesting because I think it is right that production on next seasons shirts must be well advanced, if not complete, so it does bring the question about what club crest has been put on them. Also if you were buying stock for the club shop would you buy more home kits or away kits :? Could be looking just a bit red in the club shop in a few weeks time.

Another thing is has the club informed the Football League on details of club colours for Home and Away because if they have then it may well be set in stone.

This story still has some way to go if you ask me.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 15, 2012 6:52 am

Total rebranding will take a lot of doing in time for best season considering what has to be replaced just in the Club shop !

Tue May 15, 2012 6:55 am

I'll bet that CCFC will still make a small fortune on red home shirts!!

The % of new breed fan/plastic fan/Glory hunters/neutrals or whatever else you want to call them have far less loyalty towards the blue & the bluebird than the minority hardcore fan. This tiny minority of hardcores left supporting our club are easily replaceable in respect of finances/marketing.

Make of that what you like.

Tue May 15, 2012 7:02 am

castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

This is interesting because I think it is right that production on next seasons shirts must be well advanced, if not complete, so it does bring the question about what club crest has been put on them. Also if you were buying stock for the club shop would you buy more home kits or away kits :? Could be looking just a bit red in the club shop in a few weeks time.

Another thing is has the club informed the Football League on details of club colours for Home and Away because if they have then it may well be set in stone.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Gary this is why I have been saying its still a red kit, they did show us the Bluebird added to the badge on a screen.

Tue May 15, 2012 7:32 am

Forever Blue wrote:TUESDAY MAY 15th 2012.

" Cardiff City fans set for D-Day as board meets to decide on club's future "

May 15 2012

Cardiff City chairman Dato Chan is meeting with the board
ANXIOUS Cardiff City supporters should know what the future holds for their club later today.

Search for Sports Events Tickets on eBay
Chairman Dato Chan Tien Ghee has arrived in the Welsh capital ahead of a board meeting due to start this morning.

The results of that are expected to be revealed sometime this evening.

There is doubt over the Malaysian backer’s level of involvement in the club after they dropped controversial plans to change the club’s home shirt from blue to red and ditch the current badge in favour of a dragon.

Many supporters were opposed to the proposals and the club’s backers, led by businessman Vincent Tan, reversed the decision late last week.

Tan has held in-depth discussions about the way forward in Malaysia and chairman ‘TG’ will relate the findings to the Bluebirds’ board today.

The City chairman held informal discussions with the club’s chief executive Alan Whitely last night ahead of today’s board meeting.

If the kit change had been ratified the Malaysians had vowed to take control of the club and pay of its existing debts with a major investment of £100m.

Plans were already underway for a new training ground located in the Welsh capital and an extension of the Bluebirds’ Stadium to a 35,000 capacity.

With the club saddled with major debts the withdrawal of the Malaysians backing would trigger a doomsday scenario at the club with administration a real possibility.

It looks unlikely that will be the case.

Early indications are the Malaysians, who have pumped nearly £40m in the club to keep it in operation over the last two years, will remain involved.

But there are suggestions their level of investment might now be curtailed and a longer timescale given to any developments.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1utFVn3US

A very pleasing read on a bright and sunny Tuesday morning Annis! Can we expect an update from yourself or Carl at some point later in day?

Tue May 15, 2012 7:40 am

Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Gary this is why I have been saying its still a red kit, they did show us the Bluebird added to the badge on a screen.

Was the 'new' badge with the Bluebird nice mate?

Tue May 15, 2012 7:47 am

eighty_8 wrote:Was the 'new' badge with the Bluebird nice mate?

Never mind that, what aren't you asleep after your night shift. I'll wake you up if anything happens. :ayatollah:

Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 am

eighty_8 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Was the 'new' badge with the Bluebird nice mate?

Everyone has different opinions, I'm not keen on it, just chuffed the Bluebird was on it.

Tue May 15, 2012 7:56 am

Wayne S wrote:
eighty_8 wrote:Was the 'new' badge with the Bluebird nice mate?

Never mind that, what aren't you asleep after your night shift. I'll wake you up if anything happens. :ayatollah:

Just finished :D
I can't take the wait, im off to sleep

Tue May 15, 2012 8:13 am

If all goes well. Will they launch the new badge or kits today?

Tue May 15, 2012 8:22 am

I dont know why people can take a Compromise to our badge its not like it hasnt changed before anyway, There are many Welsh Dragons holding a flage ,why not have a Bluebird in the flag the dragon is hiolding, then it would look even better and look like the dragon of Wales is holding up the bluebird as Wales number one club.

Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 am

Did they give any guarantee that they won't get rid of the Bluebird eventually?

Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 am

Jordy wrote:Did they give any guarantee that they won't get rid of the Bluebird eventually?

They wont do that, the Bluebird is part of our club history, and to the Asian history is a sacred thing, and lucky.
They are very Superstitious people and lucky things like colour and Symbols plays a big part in there Business plans.
That is why when they seen that the badge was also sacred to us, they drop it. But one thing I dont relly get is what some one said on the TV the other night. He said that the colour blue was colour of Funerals,well if that is true, why do the Malaysian team play in Blue ?

Tue May 15, 2012 8:55 am

I think if Steve Tucker's information is correct, then we need to be worried. Clearly the Malaysians will not allow the losses of £1.2 Million a month to continue. So how will they deal with this? The only way open to them is to cut the wage bill and sell our best players.

Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 am

Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I read somewhere this morning that the club have already started manufacturing next seasons kit. It was originally proposed red for home and blue for away but the thought at the moment is the Malaysians may just swap this around.

Tue May 15, 2012 9:19 am

could someone text me what happens this evening please? haha got to go to work this afternoon til late...

Tue May 15, 2012 9:38 am

welshcitydragon wrote:I dont know why people can take a Compromise to our badge its not like it hasnt changed before anyway, There are many Welsh Dragons holding a flage ,why not have a Bluebird in the flag the dragon is hiolding, then it would look even better and look like the dragon of Wales is holding up the bluebird as Wales number one club.

Not all city fans are Welsh tho :ayatollah:

Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 am

Neath Bluebird wrote:
welshcitydragon wrote:I dont know why people can take a Compromise to our badge its not like it hasnt changed before anyway, There are many Welsh Dragons holding a flage ,why not have a Bluebird in the flag the dragon is hiolding, then it would look even better and look like the dragon of Wales is holding up the bluebird as Wales number one club.

Not all city fans are Welsh tho :ayatollah:

Isn't that the plan? ;)

Joking aside I think Alan Whiteley's role in all of this is proving crucial. He got the Bluebird back on the shirt but also understands the importance of the marketing oppotunities in Asia.

I hope we take the leap of faith and play in red.

However, if we don't then I swear that I will explode when I read the first post next season stating "we need 3/4 quality signings"

There is no free lunch and it is about time we manned up and accepted that.

Tue May 15, 2012 10:28 am

It is such a shame that our supporters don't adopt more of this kind of attitude. Rather than outright bloody minded opposition, they take the view that they can live with what is best for the club and even come up with brilliant constructive ideas. :ayatollah:

Tue May 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Merlin wrote:I'll bet that CCFC will still make a small fortune on red home shirts!!

The % of new breed fan/plastic fan/Glory hunters/neutrals or whatever else you want to call them have far less loyalty towards the blue & the bluebird than the minority hardcore fan. This tiny minority of hardcores left supporting our club are easily replaceable in respect of finances/marketing.

Make of that what you like.

What complete and utterly rediculous statement.

I've been supporting City for about 9 years (I know its nothing compared to most of you lot but I'm only 18) and I support the change IF it provides the club with more money.

Can't you see the potential? This could prove to be a golden ticket to the Prem, which may I add we have tried to get to for the past 7-8 years.

Tue May 15, 2012 12:18 pm

at last bridgend_bluebird somebody talking sense

Tue May 15, 2012 2:02 pm

bozzer64 wrote:at last bridgend_bluebird somebody talking sense

That's a first :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only kidding BB

Tue May 15, 2012 2:06 pm

LutonBluebird wrote:
bozzer64 wrote:at last bridgend_bluebird somebody talking sense