Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Darcy Blake determined to stay as Cardiff City confirm depar

Mon May 14, 2012 11:32 pm

"Darcy Blake determined to stay as Cardiff City confirm departures"

May 15 2012

THE Cardiff City clear-out may have begun, but one stalwart Bluebird is preparing to finally propel himself into consistent first-team contention.

Darcy Blake has proved so often the bridesmaid rather than the bride when it comes to a regular place in the Bluebirds’ starting XI, but the 23-year-old is determined that could be about to change next campaign.

The versatile Blake has found himself this time around back-up to skipper Mark Hudson and the instantly impressive Ben Turner which proved one of the most durable centre-half partnerships in the Championship.

His path at full-back was blocked too by long-serving favourite Kevin McNaughton and reliable new boy Andrew Taylor.

But in the first moves of the summer two other full-backs have now been released at the club with Paul Quinn and Lee Naylor both out of contract and searching for new clubs.

Blake, who has a year left on his current deal in the Welsh capital, sees his need for regular football intensify in light of his international dreams with Wales.

Despite intermittent football at club level, Blake was making himself a mainstay in the heart of the Welsh defence under former national boss Gary Speed.

With the Dragons’ World Cup qualifiers now coining up in September, Blake, who has been at Cardiff since the age of 10, will be looking to equally impress under the tenure of Chris Coleman.

New Tredegar-born Blake insists if he keeps plugging away his time at the Bluebirds will arrive.

“In fairness to the boys, Ben Turner and Mark Hudson formed a good partnership, while we all know what Kevin McNaughton and Andrew Taylor can do,” said Blake.

“I will always give 100 per cent for Cardiff City and my country.

“But there are positives and negatives to being able to cover a number of positions.

“It’s great to know you can play in various areas of the pitch, but you usually have to acknowledge that will mean you don’t play week in, week out.

“Those in the starting line-up were performing consistently and that meant in the main I was providing cover for when the Gaffer needed me.

“But I’ll keep plugging away, keep working hard to earn a regular place in the team.”

Blake’s patch to a centre-half berth might be eased by the departure of Anthony Gerrard from the Welsh capital.

Gerrard failed to make it onto the pitch at all under Mackay after missing the penalty which handed the Carling Cup to Liverpool back in February.

The 30-yaer-old, who singed for Cardiff three years ago from Walsall, is being strongly linked with a move to Cardiff’s Championship rivals Ipswich.

Town boss Paul Jewell has recently stated he wants two new centre-halves as he rebuilds his side ahead of the next campaign.

It is believed Ipswich have made tentative enquiries about Gerrard’s availability in the past.

Another Cardiff central defender Dekel Keinan is still under contract, but after loan spells at Crystal Palace and Bristol City last season the Israeli international will be looking for a move to find first team football.

The biggest disappointment so far on the departure front is the release of goalkeeper Tom Heaton.

With his contract at an end and agreement on a new one unable to be reached, the 26-year-old is now looking for a new club with Bristol City and former Bluebirds boss Dave Jones, now at newly-promoted Sheffield Wednesday, reportedly leading the charge for his signature.

Heaton found himself playing second-fiddle to Mackay’s first choice of David Marshall last season.

But he distinguished himself with a number of heroic showings in the Bluebirds’ run to the Carling Cup final.

Another player who has departed the Bluebirds is wideman Liam Lawrence whose loan spell from Portsmouth finished at the end of this month.

Striker Jon Parkin had loan spells with three different clubs during the season just ended and is unlikely to figure for the Bluebirds.

Midfielder Solomon Taiwo has been out on loan for much of the last campaign and he, too, will not feature in Mackay’s future plans.

A clutch of Cardiff youngsters have also been released, too, with Jonathan Meades, Alex Evans and goalkeeper Jordan Santiago departing.

Although Mackay has a number of talented young players coming through including winger Kadeem Harris, signed from Wycombe Wanderers, plus Joe Ralls, Theo Wharton and Tommy O’Sullivan.

Central defender Ben Nugent, full-back Adedeji Oshilaja, winger Kevin St Luce and striker Jesse Darko have all stepped up from the youth Academy to become young senior pros.

All of the younger players are likely to be given their chance to progress in the Cardiff City under-21 team which will be playing regular fixtures next season.

The Bluebirds are certain to strengthen their squad with up to 10 new signings, a mixture of raw potential, experience and quality brought in on free transfers or cash transfer deals.

Mackay is already at work on identifying targets with Icelandic striker Bjorn Sigurdarson, who is currently playing in Norway, being strongly linked.

Much of Mackay’s summer plans depend very much on the result of today’s board meeting when the club’s Malaysian backers outline their level of involvement in the club next season

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1utEUHBlu

Re: Darcy Blake determined to stay as Cardiff City confirm depar

Mon May 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Darcy needs to stay, hope so :ayatollah:

Mon May 14, 2012 11:38 pm

Not good enough imo

Mon May 14, 2012 11:42 pm

JonnieBlue wrote:Not good enough imo

What about for the squad? I don't think he's had a fair crack

Mon May 14, 2012 11:51 pm

North Wales Blue wrote:
JonnieBlue wrote:Not good enough imo

What about for the squad? I don't think he's had a fair crack

tIme for him to move on but thats just my opinion. He's been a squad player at best for the last few seasons, theres a reason he hasn't broke into regular first team action.. I can't work out which is his best position .. League one player in my eyes but thats just me.

Tue May 15, 2012 6:18 am

No No No Please Darcy move onto Merthyr or that level - Tiverton Rovers ?

Tue May 15, 2012 6:21 am

If we lost Darcy and Earnie then we would have a City squad with NO Welsh players !!!!!!

Tue May 15, 2012 6:49 am

I have been very critical of Darcy in the past and critical of how he lives his party lifestyle, but I do believe he can be a cracking player as well, and I have always said that his other downfall is he's to versatile. Which means he is very handy to have on the bench and unlikely to be given his chance in one given position.
But his performances for Wales have been outstanding and to be fair as well super Kev's distribution has been awfull at times and that in the future could be Darcy's permanent spot. I do recognise Darcy has weaknesses but a spell in the team would be of great Benifit to him in improving his overall game.
But all this would be for nothing if he does not toe Malky's strict off field do's and dont's .

Tue May 15, 2012 6:54 am

We are going nowhere with players like Darcy Blake

Tue May 15, 2012 7:43 am

at this level you need to be focused on your career,sadly i dont think darcey has enough commitment,so if he wants to stay he knows what he has to do....be proffesional :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 15, 2012 7:59 am

Gerrard's not 30.

Tue May 15, 2012 11:21 am

Think Darcey is pretty solid defensively. Even his passing is ok imo which most people slate him for. doesn't offer as much going forward as our other full backs, but I think with regular playing time he will come into it. Always plays exceptional for wales

Tue May 15, 2012 5:15 pm

The Douce wrote:Think Darcey is pretty solid defensively. Even his passing is ok imo which most people slate him for. doesn't offer as much going forward as our other full backs, but I think with regular playing time he will come into it. Always plays exceptional for wales

Agreed.

Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Cant fault his commitment, keep him! :ayatollah: