Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" SO IF YOU HAD BEEN OUR CLUB ? "

Mon May 14, 2012 1:44 pm

How would you have gone about letting our fans know that they were changing our colour/badge/dropping the Bluebird/dropping our nickname/investing £100 mill/increasing our capacity/new training facilities etc after it had been leaked out by people who had been trusted with this information ?

So how would you have gone about explaining to our fans well ahead of their planned schedule ?

Opinions please/without name calling. :ayatollah:

Re: " SO IF YOU HAD BEEN OUR CLUB ? "

Mon May 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Official club statement confirming intentions.

Mon May 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Easy..

Send out a standard letter like the one we get abnout the season ticket renewals every year.

Explain what they are proposing and most importantly WHY.

Explain that they are keen to retain the clubs history etc but in order to move FORWARD this is what is proposed.

Then give an option for fans to send in a feedback or maybe a q and A session.

Then everyone is onside

Mon May 14, 2012 1:59 pm

If we had a red shirt with a blue bird woven into the front of the shirt would this have had all people on board.

Mon May 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:How would you have gone about letting our fans know that they were changing our colour/badge/dropping the Bluebird/dropping our nickname/investing £100 mill/increasing our capacity/new training facilities etc after it had been leaked out by people who had been trusted with this information ?

So how would you have gone about explaining to our fans well ahead of their planned schedule ?

If I had the idea of doing that I would naturally consult the board and the manager.

Put the positives in first (the £100m).

Timing was awful aswell cos losing to west ham was depressing and then, bang, we found out.

Get out there n speak to the fans before the end of the season and gauge responses, feedback,

There were plenty of ways they could of gone about it better :ayatollah:

Mon May 14, 2012 2:02 pm

its a good question.
obviously the leak wasnt planned and would have come as a shock to both fans and the club.
most of what the club are proposing are good things investing more money and a sizeable amount, increasing stadium capacity and new training facilities. These are surely welcome options for fans.
BUT
and as most are aware good things come at a cost and the club want the colour change and badge change, losing the bluebird our nickname etc.

it would be down to the club to persuade the fans that the positives far outweigh the negatives.

personally i would have engaged the fans in some sort of market research on how important history is to fans and the badge etc and then gauged the proposals based on the findings. Then you could say after consultation with yourselves this is how we would like to move forward.

you will never be able to please everyone and to try would be stupid, but maybe fans will accept some changes based on the investments of the owners and if an overall majority are happy the club can safely move forward with their proposals.

Mon May 14, 2012 2:03 pm

I would have asked for opinions, thoughts and general ideas as to how to re-brand. I certainly wouldnt have just said these changes WERE going to happen, WITHOUT feedback from fans, etc...

I think VT will have learnt from his mistake, and i honestly dont think we will ever have a week like we did last week! thank god :ayatollah:

Mon May 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:How would you have gone about letting our fans know that they were changing our colour/badge/dropping the Bluebird/dropping our nickname/investing £100 mill/increasing our capacity/new training facilities etc after it had been leaked out by people who had been trusted with this information ?

The day after announcing the signing of Wayne Rooney and Messi :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon May 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Made everyone in the loop sign confidentiality contracts.

The rest is basic PR, even a fool could have worked it out. Daya, for example.

Just kidding Daya, you would have done a fine job.

No I'm not. :lol:

I'm not sure I understand the question?

If you are asking if I would have handled it differently AFTER the leak then the answer is no.I think the Malaysians have been very diplomatic during all the chaos and they have come out it with their integrity in tact. All the panic that ensued after the leak may just have helped their cause because it would seem now the fans are more accepting to the idea of change and compromise. Now there seems to be a degree of calm the Malaysians and the board can formulate a plan to really sell the changes to the fans. It would be perfect if at the time of any announcement if it coincided with the unveiling of high profile player.

If however you asking how would I have broken the news if the leak did not come out in the first place that's very difficult to answer. I would have probably first announced all the positives like the increased stadium, the investment etc and then explain that this will come at a cost. To be honest though however the news was released it would probably have had the same effect, mass hysteria followed by compromise and eventual acceptance.

The way the news broke was probably not the way the Malaysians would have liked but at least the information is out there now and everyone has to deal with it. There was always going to be a fans backlash with such controversial changes. Ultimately I think the vast majority of fans will eventually accept the changes for the greater good of the club. We all want success and stability, none of want the club to be struggling or going out of business.

6/7 months ago, release a e-mail/letter/statement and justifications on the issue. Indicate a range of ideas state that none had been confirmed, give an indication as to when conformation would happen, show how best to contact the club to give feedback.

But then i'm ok with a red kit, i'm ok with an altered badge, as long as the club was willing to remain 'the bluebirds' and have a bluebird on the badge/kit/club paraphernalia.

Some are more hostile to the idea outright and it wouldn't matter what anyone said or did.

Mon May 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Written with full explanation to every customer on the data bases on the same day and posted at the same time .

Not rocket science .

Golden rule is to stop acting like a Blue Square league operation and that of a major Championship Club. To do so you need to stop the " clicks" amongst certain groups which in turn would have prevented leeks !! Half the problem is the Club has carried staff who quite simply not capable of working at this level.

Mon May 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Damned Yank wrote:Made everyone in the loop sign confidentiality contracts.

The rest is basic PR, even a fool could have worked it out. Daya, for example.

Just kidding Daya, you would have done a fine job.

No I'm not. :lol:

Cheeky fooker :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon May 14, 2012 2:13 pm

DannyboyBluebirds wrote:Easy..

Send out a standard letter like the one we get abnout the season ticket renewals every year.

Explain that they are keen to retain the clubs history etc but in order to move FORWARD this is what is proposed.

Then everyone is onside

Your club should contact you and offer you a job ! :lol:

Mon May 14, 2012 2:22 pm

Daya wrote:

Then everyone is onside

I work for the conservative party I am an EXPERT in public relations :D

Mon May 14, 2012 2:26 pm

DannyboyBluebirds wrote:
Daya wrote:

Then everyone is onside

So was Peter Ridsdale :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CV REVOKED :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon May 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Daya wrote:
DannyboyBluebirds wrote:
Daya wrote:

Then everyone is onside

So was Peter Ridsdale :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Touche'

Mon May 14, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm no PR expert but it's clear that whatever the club did managed to enrage a large portion of the fan base and therefore mistakes were obviously made.

I think DannyBoy is close to getting it spot on but I also think the club should have handled things more delicately. The message should have been this is currently just an option, nothing is finalised, we plan to consult with fans before we make a decision etc etc I think the attitude that this is happening, tough shit, angered fans just as much as the re-brand. The club left no too for compromise or discussion it what was always going to be a highly cobtroversial issue that would upset a lot of people!

Mon May 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:I'm no PR expert but it's clear that whatever the club did managed to enrage a large portion of the fan base and therefore mistakes were obviously made.

I think DannyBoy is close to getting it spot on but I also think the club should have handled things more delicately. The message should have been this is currently just an option, nothing is finalised, we plan to consult with fans before we make a decision etc etc I think the attitude that this is happening, tough shit, angered fans just as much as the re-brand. The club left no too for compromise or discussion it what was always going to be a highly cobtroversial issue that would upset a lot of people!

Ha ha is that you leights?

Mon May 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Well I would not of waited untill the shirts was on the backs of the players before I would of said something. Besides the club belongs to all of us not a select few. This info should be for the whole set of fans.IMO

Mon May 14, 2012 2:40 pm

We will never know how the club intended to inform us because some idiot released the information before they had the chance. I hope that clown is pleased with himself and if we end up back in division 3 or 4 ( it's still 3 & 4 ) in my eyes, or even worse non league/in liquidation even more pleased with himself. Idiot, clown and I can think of a lot more suitable words to describe him and I don't care if you do ban me!

Mon May 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Daya wrote:
DannyboyBluebirds wrote:
Daya wrote:

Then everyone is onside

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon May 14, 2012 2:46 pm

I would have told the Supporters Club and hoped they leaked the message out ;)

Mon May 14, 2012 3:00 pm

I would have handled it in exactly the same skilled way as the Malaysians actually did.

- Deliberately leak news that everything is changing, including our beloved badge in return for £100 million

- Wait for the adverse reaction from fans and drop hints that if fans are not supportive or appreciative of what they were trying to achieve then they would leave

- Wait for fans to stew a while deliberating the club languishing in the lower leagues after admin

- Come back with a minor compromise and the promise the £100 million is still on the table

- Big collective sigh of relief from all fans after we are presented with the final proposals of a red home shirt, with a dragon on it, and then a red stadium.

- All are accepted without further question, because we think we won a battle by persuading them to keep the Bluebird (for now), which they probably knew they would conced on from day 1.

Lets face it, the Malaysians have played a very skillful game and we have found ourselves in Check Mate. I tip my hat to them.

Mon May 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Citysince1964 wrote:

We will never know how the club intended to inform us because some idiot released the information before they had the chance. I hope that clown is pleased with himself and if we end up back in division 3 or 4 ( it's still 3 & 4 ) in my eyes, or even worse non league/in liquidation even more pleased with himself. Idiot, clown and I can think of a lot more suitable words to describe him and I don't care if you do ban me!

MAKE SOME NOISE AND SUPPORT THE BOYS WHY DONT U :lol: :lol:

Mon May 14, 2012 3:03 pm

I think the biggest mistake by the club was 2 words "NON-NEGOTIABLE". If when they called the hurried meeting last week they would have said it was one of the ideas under consideration rather than set in stone I think in a few days the fans would have cooled down and started discussing the positives and negatives of the idea. What inflamed opinion was that this was going to be an enforced change and that a decision had been made about the club without any consultation of the supporters and it appeared their opinions didn't matter.

Mon May 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Official Club statement a official letter detailing all the plans to each and every seasons ticket holder as well as an e-mail to all members on the system

Mon May 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Blueboo wrote:I would have handled it in exactly the same skilled way as the Malaysians actually did.

- Deliberately leak news that everything is changing, including our beloved badge in return for £100 million

- Wait for the adverse reaction from fans and drop hints that if fans are not supportive or appreciative of what they were trying to achieve then they would leave

- Wait for fans to stew a while deliberating the club languishing in the lower leagues after admin

- Come back with a minor compromise and the promise the £100 million is still on the table

- Big collective sigh of relief from all fans after we are presented with the final proposals of a red home shirt, with a dragon on it, and then a red stadium.

- All are accepted without further question, because we think we won a battle by persuading them to keep the Bluebird (for now), which they probably knew they would conced on from day 1.

Lets face it, the Malaysians have played a very skillful game and we have found ourselves in Check Mate. I tip my hat to them.

hmmmmmm - very cynical but plausible , good stage management to obtain their own way as a fans involvement could drag on and on and on and on ....... can be the only reason why the Club would tell a supporter with those fatal words " top secret dont tell a sole !!" We play that old chestnut in our industry when you want someone to know something but don't want to tell them , one simple call to a certain person in the trade and the whole industry around the world knows within 48 hours !

Mon May 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Why couldnt they have just sent us all a letter after the last game of the season, explaining what they were going to do , ie Investment ,etc, overall objective of the Investment. (putting the club on a debt free sound footing),
new training facilities etc.
then the proposed conditions for the Investment , ie Kit Change, Badge Change. and explanation as to why.
Then issue a form with a simple tick box Y for Yes , N for No .
Write your name and Fan Number on paper, send it back job done .

Or even have an online poll on the official site where you would have to put your fan number in to vote!

Lets face it with a potential Investment of £100 million, the cost of this would have pailed into insignificance.
And would have done away with all this nonsense and infighting during the last week or so.
At least it would have been a way to give the majority of Fans a say.

Mon May 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Make sure it gets leaked on planet swans