Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TAKEN FROM THE ECHO

Sat May 12, 2012 8:02 am

A SELECT group of Cardiff City fans’ representatives have spoken of their fears after yesterday’s dramatic red strip U-turn as question marks were raised about the club’s future financing by its Malaysian investors.

Lifelong Bluebirds fan Gwyn Davies, a 6ft 6in and 20st former judo international, was in tears following a special meeting with club officials.

“Every Cardiff City fan must show our Malaysian investors, Vincent Tan in particular, that we want him to stay with us and that we love him,” said Davies.

“He feels he has offended Wales and we have to show him that isn’t the case.”

He was one of about a dozen fans who attended a two-hour meeting at the Cardiff City Stadium. They were told by chief executive Alan Whiteley that proposals by billionaire boss Vincent Tan to rebrand the Bluebirds, and change the home strip from red to blue, had been dropped. The move now raises questions about a reported £100m cash injection by Tan.

“I’m heartbroken, I was in tears of upset and anger,” said Davies. “I felt I had lost my club in there.”

City invited fans representing a number of groups including Cardiff City Supporters Club, Cardiff City Trust and message boards to break the news that major investor Tan had scrapped plans which had also included adopting a Welsh Dragon on the shirt badge.

Davies said: “I am angry with some of the fans, including some in the meeting, who said Vincent Tan should have consulted us.

“They think they are above themselves. This man has put [millions] into our football club and hasn’t taken a penny out. Nothing!

“He wants to put another reported £100m in for us to wear a red shirt.

“People say he should have consulted everybody. That’s rubbish. They don’t know what they are talking about. Does Roman Abramovic consult Chelsea fans before making any decisions? Of course not.”

He added: “We could play in pink pyjamas for me as long as my team are out there playing and competing at a high level.

“I want our football club to progress. With Vincent Tan’s backing we would have been a club without debt and all equity covered by him.

“It was expected Langston would be paid off pretty quickly – and other debts sorted out.

“He has plans for a fantastic new training ground in the city and money for Malky Mackay to strengthen the squad.

“All he asked was that we played in red. So what? We would still be Cardiff City through and through. Our history and heritage would still be intact.

“It’s red home, blue away. He was willing to compromise and had already agreed to include the Bluebird on a new badge. But too many people were against it without knowing the full story.”

Davies called on Bluebirds fans to show their support for the Malaysian investors.

“There is a board meeting early next week and TG [chairman Dato Chan Tien Ghee] will be attending. City fans should turn up in their thousands – and every one of us should wear red. We need banners proclaiming how much we love our Malaysian investors.

“If the Malaysian walk away we will be playing Welsh League football.”

Chief executive Whiteley had met a group of fans earlier this week to tell them of changes planned by the club – and the same supporters were invited back again yesterday.

Club officials Julian Jenkins, Wayne Nash and Barrie McAuliffe joined Whiteley in the meeting, called at a couple of hours’ notice.

Vince Alm, the Cardiff City Supporters Club spokesman, said: “There was a lot of disbelief when the statement was read out.

“This is a great opportunity missed for Cardiff City.

“I wasn’t for the changes and everybody knows that, but I was willing to debate any issues in a civil manner and see if we could reach compromises.

“Without the Malaysian investment our club could be at risk.

“I simply don’t know where we stand today. Reading the statement there is a lot written in the past tense with ‘was’ and ‘were’. I worry that this is the start of them pulling back and there aren’t a lot of people banging down doors to invest.

“I feel down, concerned and worried.

“We should all want Vincent Tan to reach agreement on the investment and find a compromise.”

Cardiff City fans had called an emergency meeting at the Municipal Club in City Road, Cardiff for this Saturday afternoon and Alm said: “I’m not sure whether that will go ahead, but maybe we need another type of meeting now.”

Tony Jefferies was another fans’ representative at the fans meeting and he said: “There was money on the table from Vincent Tan – contrary to people on internet sites who were saying there was no money.

“We have seen plans for new training facilities, while a deal with Sam Hammam over the Langston debt was almost tied up. Malky Mackay was promised a war chest for next season. Now everything is in the air.

“We must all calm down as fans and hopefully move forward from this. It’s not too bad playing in red. It’s a colour, nothing more.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1udlUCIlB

Re: TAKEN FROM THE ECHO

Sat May 12, 2012 8:12 am

"“We could play in pink pyjamas for me as long as my team are out there playing and competing at a high level"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat May 12, 2012 8:18 am

Gwyn you said you wasn't happy with some of the other at the meeting, Will it take time to heal those wounds ?

Sat May 12, 2012 8:23 am

What drastic changes have Chelsea made that the fans would need to be consulted over.

Also, if Vincent Tan felt that he had offended Wales, why would he offend it even more by pulling out.

Will I get answers to these questions without being belittled?

Sat May 12, 2012 8:30 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:What drastic changes have Chelsea made that the fans would need to be consulted over.

Can't thing of any change at all, I'm sure since Roam Abramovich has joined them everything has remained exactly the same, otherwise I'm sure he'd meet up with the fans to clear it first.

Also, if Vincent Tan felt that he had offended Wales, why would he offend it even more by pulling out.

Possibly he feels the damage has been done, and possibly unlike some people he's not the sort of man that does U turns, let's hope he does this time.

Yes ;)

Sat May 12, 2012 8:34 am

I have never had a ballot paper through the post to vote these so-called 'fans representatives'. Until thats the case then they dont represent me or many thousands of others.

Sat May 12, 2012 8:58 am

Angry Man wrote:I have never had a ballot paper through the post to vote these so-called 'fans representatives'. Until thats the case then they dont represent me or many thousands of others.

Exactly the opposite as to how the Councilors were voted for in the Gurnos, they all had ballot papers, and they definitely chose for you not to represent them, last of eight put up for vote, so who represents you now in the Gurnos, but saying that don't you live in Penarth which is 3o miles away from the ward you wanted to represent. ;)

Sat May 12, 2012 9:14 am

CRINGE!! :oops:

Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 am

20 ST?

Was that your quote or their estimate? :lol: :lol:

Sat May 12, 2012 9:31 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:What drastic changes have Chelsea made that the fans would need to be consulted over.

haha offend us more? after all the nasty things people were calling him when he's trying to push our club in a new direction.. Never mind offend anyone u wouldn't have seen my arse for dust with some of the shit the idiots were saying

Sat May 12, 2012 9:55 am

BigGwynram wrote:

Can't thing of any change at all, I'm sure since Roam Abramovich has joined them everything has remained exactly the same, otherwise I'm sure he'd meet up with the fans to clear it first.

Possibly he feels the damage has been done, and possibly unlike some people he's not the sort of man that does U turns, let's hope he does this time.

Yes ;)

I said what drastic changes have Chelsea undergone, yet as usual you dodge the question with sarcasm and irony. The truth is you have no answer for the question: you could at least be a man and admit as such.

The truth is he has done nothing drastic such as change the colours; the badge just being a natural progression on past designs.

Sat May 12, 2012 10:21 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:

Yes ;)

I said what drastic changes have Chelsea undergone, yet as usual you dodge the question with sarcasm and irony. The truth is you have no answer for the question: you could at least be a man and admit as such.

The truth is he has done nothing drastic such as change the colours; the badge just being a natural progression on past designs.

Roman wants to move from Fulham to Battersea, or, from north of the river to South London. I can see the scarves now "Chelsea, the Pride of South London" Maybe.

Seems most fans don't want this

Sat May 12, 2012 10:25 am

Angry Man wrote:I have never had a ballot paper through the post to vote these so-called 'fans representatives'. Until thats the case then they dont represent me or many thousands of others.

Spot on Angry Man. I have been talking to many fans and none of them represent me or the fans I have spoke to.
Now on the flip side Gwyn and others have done fantastic work in the past representing fans in trouble or to go to them for advice. Starting the Valley Rams in an effort to rid this club of hooliganism ETC. But when it comes to dealing with owners of our club on issues of last week no one represents me because NO one asked me or anyone else what we want,but saying that we all have different views, so the only view he is putting is his own.

Sat May 12, 2012 10:50 am

Surely, the only true representatives are the supporters trust, people pay to join them,to be represented, and to have a voice at the club (no I am not a member)

I am not to sure what Cardiff City Supporters club have a constitution/charter what it consist of or their aims and objectives

This is not knocking Vince or any other of the officers, of the supporters club, they do a cracking job, ferrying fans around the country, Do any of the supporters groups contact their members to canvass their opinions,? enabling to talk on other fans behalf. I really don't know, it would help me make up my mind if they do speak on behalf of their fans who travel with them. The same of Tony Jefferies and this message board.

:? :?

Sat May 12, 2012 10:55 am

Nuclearblue wrote:

Spot on Angry Man. I have been talking to many fans and none of them represent me or the fans I have spoke to.
Now on the flip side Gwyn and others have done fantastic work in the past representing fans in trouble or to go to them for advice. Starting the Valley Rams in an effort to rid this club of hooliganism ETC. But when it comes to dealing with owners of our club on issues of last week no one represents me because NO one asked me or anyone else what we want,but saying that we all have different views, so the only view he is putting is his own.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sat May 12, 2012 11:15 am

Nuclearblue wrote:

SHOW ME ONCE WHERE i HAVE CLAIMED DIFFERENT, JUST ONE OCCASION WHERE I PURPORT TO REPRESENT OR SPEAK FOR ANYONE ELSE.

EVEN TLG TRYING TO BE CLEVER IN A REPORT PUT DOWN THAT GWYN DAVIES WAS THERE REPRESENTING HIMSELF.

Sat May 12, 2012 11:20 am

Gwyn you said on camera and in print that all City fans should go down the ccs on monday decked in red .
And at the same time slagged off other influential fans for bein strong in their beliefs.

Sat May 12, 2012 11:21 am

jammsy 1927 wrote:Surely, the only true representatives are the supporters trust, people pay to join them,to be represented, and to have a voice at the club (no I am not a member)

I am not to sure what Cardiff City Supporters club have a constitution/charter what it consist of or their aims and objectives

This is not knocking Vince or any other of the officers, of the supporters club, they do a cracking job, ferrying fans around the country, Do any of the supporters groups contact their members to canvass their opinions,? enabling to talk on other fans behalf. I really don't know, it would help me make up my mind if they do speak on behalf of their fans who travel with them. The same of Tony Jefferies and this message board.

WE WERE TOLD IN THE MEETING THEY NOW HAVE 669 FANS REGISTERED AS MEMBERS, TRACY DID SAY THAT THE MAJORITY OF THEM WERE NOT LOCAL AND LIVED AS EXILES WITH MANY OF THEM LIVING ABROAD, HER WORDS NOT MINE.

NOW I DON'T KNOW IF MY CASE IS UNIQUE, BUT I DROPPED OUT EIGHTENN MONTHS AGO AND HAVE NOT PAID A PENNY SINCE, YET I GET ALL THE CIRCULARS, ALL THE VOTING FORM AND AM STILL REFFERRED TO AS A MEBER AND THEER'S FOUR REGISTERED IN MY HOUSE, YET THREE DON'T KNOW IT :lol:
I KNOW FRIENDS WHO HAVE EIGHT REGISTERED AND THEY ARE FAMILY MEMBERS THAT OTHER THAN WEMBLEY NEVER ATTEND.

NOW THIS ISN'T A MAJOR DIG JUST QUOTING FACTS AND FIGURES, JUTS SHOWS EITHER THE TRUE APATHY OF OUR FAN BASE OR THE WRONG DIRECTION AND AMBITION OF THE TRUST, PERHAPS THEY DON'T APPEAL TO THE VAST MAJORITY.

I BELIEVE THE SUPPORTERS CLUB HAVE CLOSE ON 3,000 PAID UP MEMBERS.

Sat May 12, 2012 11:27 am

polo wrote:Gwyn you said on camera and in print that all City fans should go down the ccs on monday decked in red .
And at the same time slagged off other influential fans for bein strong in their beliefs.

Yes so what is your point, looks like your Picton on anything you can? I am appealing for other fans to go down the stadium, those that want to take that direction can, how is that me claiming to represent any one, that is simply me appealing to fans to see if we can do something positive and help in some way.

And surely as an individual, aren't I allowed to criticuse or slag off as you say other fans for their strong beliefs.
That nut case in Norway had strong beliefs, does having strong beliefs make it Ok or right.

Surely it's about opinions, people will make their own minds up, if they look at both sides of the debate/argument, isn't that how thins work?

Sat May 12, 2012 11:28 am

polo wrote:Gwyn you said on camera and in print that all City fans should go down the ccs on monday decked in red .

I watched BBC Wales Today the other day, too. Very interesting and eye-opening comments from two Cardiff City supporters on there.

Sat May 12, 2012 11:31 am

BigGwynram wrote:

Yes so what is your point, looks like your Picton on anything you can? I am appealing for other fans to go down the stadium, those that want to take that direction can, how is that me claiming to represent any one, that is simply me appealing to fans to see if we can do something positive and help in some way.

And surely as an individual, aren't I allowed to criticuse or slag off as you say other fans for their strong beliefs.
That nut case in Norway had strong beliefs, does having strong beliefs make it Ok or right.

Surely it's about opinions, people will make their own minds up, if they look at both sides of the debate/argument, isn't that how thins work?

Fair enough and I don't agree with some of the things you said on the telly the other day - in fact I found some of it offensive. What hurts me most is the damage it has done to the unity of the supporters. It's like a lesser version of the miners' strike!

Sat May 12, 2012 11:40 am

You castigated some with one opinion for wanting to march (a democratic right even the Malaysians are not above), but it's okay for opponents to do so and and be able to voice their opinion.

Sat May 12, 2012 11:50 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:You castigated some with one opinion for wanting to march (a democratic right even the Malaysians are not above), but it's okay for opponents to do so and and be able to voice their opinion.

March where ever you wan to, demonstrate where ever you want to, petition who you want to, but be careful of what you wish for, because we all have to live consequences of our actions, and if those actions lead to our club folding as they might, then it's all going to get a bit naughty.

From what I have been told, thank feck that meeting was cancelled, because there were some real shadies heading that way, nowt to do with me, and not saying I agree, just stating how it is, and the possible consequences.

I wouldn't want to be part of any group that could be responsible for closing our club, whatever the small possibility.

Been told there's already a list, and I just hope I ain't on it, because some of the people involved frighten the f**k out of me. :o

Sat May 12, 2012 11:57 am

The point is Gwyn you had a pop at some for showing too much emotion and voicing their strong beliefs when youve done exactly the same.

The only difference being you are on the other side of the fence to those you chastised.

I didnt see Annis or TLG hold a gun to anyones head. They voiced their opinion as did you yet you are angry at them?

And my name is Pickett not Picton. I dont know why you keep trying to drop hints you know who I am. am I supposed to feel threatened? :lol:

Your a bit old to still be playing the big bad bully gwyn. Old habits die hard eh.

Sat May 12, 2012 11:58 am

BigGwynram wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:You castigated some with one opinion for wanting to march (a democratic right even the Malaysians are not above), but it's okay for opponents to do so and and be able to voice their opinion.

March where ever you wan to, demonstrate where ever you want to, petition who you want to, but be careful of what you wish for, because we all have to live consequences of our actions, and if those actions lead to our club folding as they might, then it's all going to get a bit naughty.

From what I have been told, thank feck that meeting was cancelled, because there were some real shadies heading that way, nowt to do with me, and not saying I agree, just stating how it is, and the possible consequences.

I wouldn't want to be part of any group that could be responsible for closing our club, whatever the small possibility.

Been told there's already a list, and I just hope I ain't on it, because some of the people involved frighten the f**k out of me. :o

:lol: if you need a disguise I know where there is a pink tut and fairy wand last used in Ipswich some 8 years ago - probably hasn;t been washed knowing Taxi!!! :lol: :lol:

Sat May 12, 2012 12:00 pm

BigGwynram wrote:March where ever you wan to, demonstrate where ever you want to, petition who you want to, but be careful of what you wish for, because we all have to live consequences of our actions, and if those actions lead to our club folding as they might, then it's all going to get a bit naughty.

More threats. Grow up Gwyn. :roll:

Sat May 12, 2012 12:05 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
jammsy 1927 wrote:Surely, the only true representatives are the supporters trust, people pay to join them,to be represented, and to have a voice at the club (no I am not a member)

WE WERE TOLD IN THE MEETING THEY NOW HAVE 669 FANS REGISTERED AS MEMBERS, TRACY DID SAY THAT THE MAJORITY OF THEM WERE NOT LOCAL AND LIVED AS EXILES WITH MANY OF THEM LIVING ABROAD, HER WORDS NOT MINE.

NOW I DON'T KNOW IF MY CASE IS UNIQUE, BUT I DROPPED OUT EIGHTENN MONTHS AGO AND HAVE NOT PAID A PENNY SINCE, YET I GET ALL THE CIRCULARS, ALL THE VOTING FORM AND AM STILL REFFERRED TO AS A MEBER AND THEER'S FOUR REGISTERED IN MY HOUSE, YET THREE DON'T KNOW IT :lol:
I KNOW FRIENDS WHO HAVE EIGHT REGISTERED AND THEY ARE FAMILY MEMBERS THAT OTHER THAN WEMBLEY NEVER ATTEND.

NOW THIS ISN'T A MAJOR DIG JUST QUOTING FACTS AND FIGURES, JUTS SHOWS EITHER THE TRUE APATHY OF OUR FAN BASE OR THE WRONG DIRECTION AND AMBITION OF THE TRUST, PERHAPS THEY DON'T APPEAL TO THE VAST MAJORITY.

I BELIEVE THE SUPPORTERS CLUB HAVE CLOSE ON 3,000 PAID UP MEMBERS.

Sorry Gwyn, who is Tracy ?

Sat May 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Gwyn, you should consider working for the Daily Mail. Your imagination is quite vivid. Most people would spend a fortune to have an imagination 1/10th as textured as yours.

Sat May 12, 2012 12:09 pm

polo wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:March where ever you wan to, demonstrate where ever you want to, petition who you want to, but be careful of what you wish for, because we all have to live consequences of our actions, and if those actions lead to our club folding as they might, then it's all going to get a bit naughty.

More threats. Grow up Gwyn. :roll:

"Lifelong Bluebirds fan Gwyn Davies, a 6ft 6in and 20st former judo international" - watch yourself.

Sat May 12, 2012 12:10 pm

BigGwynram wrote:

what i stupid thing to put on a forum board, make all of us look like school yard kids.
shadies,lists,ffs WE all need to calm down