Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City FC - Historical Football Kits

Sat May 12, 2012 7:17 am

All the (home) city kits from foundation.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Cardiff ... f_City.htm

Re: Cardiff City FC - Historical Football Kits

Sat May 12, 2012 7:38 am

Everyone complaining about our history and heritage, but to me it looks like we have had quite a few changes along the way, colour shade, badge etc etc.

Wonder was there so much fuss each time that happened, possibly some people looked on it as progress, personally if I'd have known we had sold out and changed from the purple and brown I would have never supported them aged ten as a protest.

Sat May 12, 2012 8:07 am

Agreed Gwyn, history is important to remember and protect, but looking at our history, the funny thing is, that in our finest hour (the FA cup final in 1927) we had a dragon on our badge :D

Sat May 12, 2012 10:10 am

Can I just put this Bluebird 'nickname' confusion to bed. It i true that we didn't have a bluebird on our badge until the late 50s. However, the team has been nicknamed the Bluebirds since 1911, when a play of that name played in the New Theatre, and Cardiff fans christened their team it due to their blue shirts. So the nickname has been around for over 100 years due to the blueshirts, not the badge. Although as we all know, the badge itself has considerable history which shouldn't just be thrown away without serious consideration!

Sat May 12, 2012 11:38 am

Hiya mate! Alright? wrote:Agreed Gwyn, history is important to remember and protect, but looking at our history, the funny thing is, that in our finest hour (the FA cup final in 1927) we had a dragon on our badge :D

D'oh!

Check the current badge.

Sat May 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Blue seems to be the common theme though!!!

Sat May 12, 2012 2:07 pm

I dont think anyone else has commented but in 1927, our greatest ever 90 minutes, we appear to have been playing in the colours of Man City - as opposed to our normal blue!

And, as some have already pointed out, with a dragon on the badge!

Sat May 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:Can I just put this Bluebird 'nickname' confusion to bed. It i true that we didn't have a bluebird on our badge until the late 50s. However, the team has been nicknamed the Bluebirds since 1911, when a play of that name played in the New Theatre, and Cardiff fans christened their team it due to their blue shirts. So the nickname has been around for over 100 years due to the blueshirts, not the badge. Although as we all know, the badge itself has considerable history which shouldn't just be thrown away without serious consideration!

So it was the fans that started calling the team bluebirds and continued it. So nothing will change whatever is decided by the club.

As for the history of the badge, the actual bluebird logo is only as old as the club recognising it. The badge in its current guise only came about in 1988.

Sat May 12, 2012 7:03 pm

I would like to point out myself that in the 1927 final, Cardiff city actually didn't have a badge at the time - and asked for permission to wear the 'Cardiff coat of arms symbol' instead. Which was actually nothing to do with football ;)

Sat May 12, 2012 8:51 pm

And a minority of idiots are whinging about a change of strip to red which will bring in 100 million ,geeze where they f**k where they when we brought out the Super Ted strip?!!.

Sat May 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Personally, I would like the following badge on a city shirt, in memory of 16th Cardiff City Battalion ( Cardiff Pals) - Holds good sentiments for many people of Cardiff, now forgotten sadly by the majority...

Badge #50530-D
The Welsh Regiment
Cardiff Pals