Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HOW MUCH HAS THE CLUB CHANGED SINCE YOU BECAME A SUPPORTER?

Fri May 11, 2012 10:08 pm

My first game was in 89 and how times have changed since those days, on and off the field in many ways.

So perhaps if we had all looked at the bigger picture and took a minute to realise how much our club and football in general has changed in the time you have been a fan then perhaps some of the events that disturbed the Malaysians would not have happened.

So stop for a minute and think of the FIRST time you ever saw Cardiff City play and think of the list of many different changes that have taken place within the club and around football in general, we perhaps need to sometimes accept innovation and change and learn to adapt more even to changes that we sometimes will not agree with but could somehow learn to accept in time.

Just think about it for a second and think of the list of changes that have occured since your first game, list them if you fancy it. :ayatollah:

Keep the faith. :ayatollah:

Re: HOW MUCH HAS THE CLUB CHANGED SINCE YOU BECAME A SUPPORTER?

Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 pm

we dont sing that clemo's wife is a lesbian anymore!

Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 pm

nobby wrote:My first game was in 89 and how times have changed since those days, on and off the field in many ways.

So perhaps if we had all looked at the bigger picture and took a minute to realise how much our club and football in general has changed in the time you have been a fan then perhaps some of the events that disturbed the Malaysians would not have happened.

So stop for a minute and think of the FIRST time you ever saw Cardiff City play and think of the list of many different changes that have taken place within the club and around football in general, we perhaps need to sometimes accept innovation and change and learn to adapt more even to changes that we sometimes will not agree with but could somehow learn to accept in time.

Just think about it for a second and think of the list of changes that have occured since your first game, list them if you fancy it. :ayatollah:

Man has landed on the moon since my first game! :o :old: :lol:

Fri May 11, 2012 10:23 pm

There's been a big hike in the price of red shirts.

Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 pm

nobby wrote:My first game was in 89 and how times have changed since those days, on and off the field in many ways.

dai i seen my first game in 1975 and i think what this last week has shown is how much our supporters have changed, city fans have allways wanted our club to be successful like fans of every other club, but not at any price, we've lost our dignity

Fri May 11, 2012 10:43 pm

My first was 94 v cambridge @ home, we lost 7-2 or something like that and the atmosphere was quality from our fans until the very end! I quote "we only need 3,4,5 more etc.." So yeh, its changed....fans leave just to beat the f*cking traffic rush now. Had we lost 7-2 now the crowd would have been home by the 70th min watching sky sports score centre. haha.

Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 pm

My first game was in 1948, the club is beyond recogniseable nowadays.

It's either one of two things possibly both: Either the plastic element of our support is growning and growing taking real bluebirds seats or I can't see past my nose.

Fri May 11, 2012 10:48 pm

i no longer go in the car park to throw stones at the away fans its frowned upon now

Fri May 11, 2012 10:52 pm

NinianParkWasMyWife wrote:i no longer go in the car park to throw stones at the away fans its frowned upon now

I still f*cking do it. Whether or not i'm throwing them at visiting Ipswich town fans or fellow bluebirds I can't tell anymore, my eyesights gone down the shitter and the local optician is c**t :old:

Watch out next season fellow bluebirds, especially when, Barnsley, Forest and Bristol City arrive at the "Plastic R us" stadium, I will be confused to f**k about the new color change :old: :old:

Fri May 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Kids from Cogan no longer throw stones at the Barry train. Lazy sods. :D

Fri May 11, 2012 10:55 pm

barry boy wrote:Kids from Cogan no longer throw stones at the Barry train. Lazy sods. :D

The youth of today are f*cking useless at keeping our traditions and heritage running :old:

Fri May 11, 2012 11:45 pm

5 subs instead of 1. I remember the days of Paul Went or Derek Showers taking that lonely place on the bench. Now we have a full squad

The other thing is goalkeepers. When Freddie Pethard passed the ball back to Ron Healey (or Bill Irwin) they could pick the ball up!

Sat May 12, 2012 8:16 am

The fans of today never seem interested in getting an opposition scarf.

That was a big factor when I first went down the ninian.

Sat May 12, 2012 8:21 am

Nobody in the grange end pisses on the away fans - at least I don't think they do... The Canton and Grandstand no longer have horribly uncomfortable wooden seats. Refs don't often wear black - some of them now have more sponsorship than the teams. I miss the characters mainly though - no Robin Fridays, George Bests, Duncan McKenzies, Stan Bowles type of players anymore.

Sat May 12, 2012 4:16 pm

no football specials trains, atmosphere is now shit, sing less songs, no excitement for the fa cup 3rd round, no european games or welsh cup anymore

Sat May 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Well I've been a supporter since 2005 so not much has changed other than the stadium. :lol:

Sat May 12, 2012 6:07 pm

This is a great question Nobby and as I first watched the city in 1964 there are so many things that have changed about not only our club but also the game. Anyway here as the things that have changed since I first started watching the city.

The biggest thing I remember was the introduction of a single substitution when a player was injured which happened not the season after I started watching. I remember listening to all the fans talking about it on the train home after the game everyone was amazed it had taken so long to have such a simple rule introduced. The following season a single substitution was allowed "for any reason" which saw the introduction of the tactical substitution and things have moved on from there.

It took another 20 years I think for the rule to change again allowing teams to make two subs per match it later moved on to 3 subs per match. Back in the day a team could name 3 subs per match which later increased to 5 then 7 and back to 5 and I believe it is going back to 7 next season.

Other big changes were the introduction of 3 points for a win was introduced in I think 1981, 3 up 3 down promotion and relegation was introduced in 1973 but sadly 2 years later than when we needed it having finished 3rd in season 1970/71. Goal difference replacing goal average in 1976 again that was a huge change with goal average being used for 80 years.

1976 also saw the introduction of red and yellow cards again something we take for granted nowadays but was considered a bit radical in 1976. The introduction of the promotion / relegation playoffs in 1986 which was changed a few years later to only include promotion chasing clubs.

The league cup being changed from home and away basis for each round to a single match with a replay if the game was drawn. The introduction of penalty kicks if the replay was drawn after extra time and then the introduction of a single game, with extratime and penalties if required in the early rounds.

The FA Cup changing from multiple replays if required to a single replay with extratime and penalties. Changing the final thea single game with no replay just extratime and penalties.

The introduction of international breaks in league competitions where you could go a few weeks without a game and of course the change in kickoff times from what was always a Saturday at 3pm and Wednesday at 7.30pm to anything the TV channels want and nevermind the fans.

As far as the club goes I remember the adding the wings to the grandstand at Ninian Park it made such a change to the appearance of the ground. Kit designs that hardly changed to kits where the design changes every season a club badges that changed every few years.

My avatar is the club crest worn on the shirts of our 1927 FA Cup winning team and not a Bluebird in sight, but we do have a couple of goats and yes a dragon. The greatest day in our clubs history and nothing to show a reference to our club nickname but today we worry about our history and some are prepared to die in a ditch over the bluebird on our shirts. If a dragon and a couple of goats and a dragon were good enough on the greatest day in our history why is adragon not good enough today. :?

Then there have been our owners and probably least said soonest mended in that regards, except for Bob Grogan, Sam and the Malaysians who I personally rank as the best.

Anyway that was fun. Good thread Nobby.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 12, 2012 6:14 pm

I think the problem is that many fans (myself included) dont think that it has necceseraly (sp) changed
for the better.

Obviously it has on the playing front but changed for the better will all depend on how you view a matchday experience.

The past week has made me think quite a lot, and I have been questioning myself more and more the last few
seasons how much I actualy enjoy it these days.

But then on the other hand, I cant live without it.

:?

Sat May 12, 2012 6:20 pm

I've been going to matches since about 89/90 and I agree loads has changed it has been an absolute roller coaster of a journey. The one thing that has always been constant and kept me sane over the years is always being able to recognise our boys were the ones in blue. If I didn't have that to comfort me I don't know how I would cope some days, I really don't.

Sat May 12, 2012 6:43 pm

No piss all over the toilet floor. Toilet paper and warm water...

Sun May 13, 2012 1:28 am

The price of Pies have gone up since 1976- Still taste the same tho just less meat
In 76-The Coppers would lend you 2pence to launch at the away supporters- Now they plant 2ps on you 'for evidence in court'
In 76-It was a hell of a walk to get to Asda- Now -we got 1 in our carpark
In 76-We used to sing lots of football related songs about the shit other Team- Now -just a 90minute chorus of moans an groans
In 76-The Stewards would help you to your seat- Now -they want to throw you outta your seat
In 76-Football Rattles were a must- Now -they are an offensive weapon
In 76-The Coppers would helpfully give you directions to the away ground -Now - Its 'Fuk off Taffy b*stard before i nick you'
In 76- We knew that we would play in Blue -Now -.................Who Knows ?!?