Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

why are we losing a million a month

Fri May 11, 2012 4:41 pm

i dont get it,to me while we are in the championship this is as good as it is ever going to get.....the only way to get more revenue is premiership football....and surely it was up for grabs this season...certainly at xmas :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: why are we losing a million a month

Fri May 11, 2012 4:56 pm

i tried to ask the same question earlier.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80218

Fri May 11, 2012 6:16 pm

krabb wrote:i dont get it,to me while we are in the championship this is as good as it is ever going to get.....the only way to get more revenue is premiership football....and surely it was up for grabs this season...certainly at xmas :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The running of the club plus the massive debt that the club as got, that is prob the reason

Fri May 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Our wage bill has traditionally far too high for our income. We should probably have a similar wage bill to Watford but at the end of the Dave Jones era we were probably overspending by about £6m per year. I'm not sure whether it is true to the same extent this last season. I think I am right in saying that there are streams of income that we should have coming in but don't. Profit from food sales all go to Compass because of the contract Ridsdale signed with them for a one off upfront payment. Also I believe money from premier club seats all go to paying off pmg. The interest on some of our debts also adds to the debt although we don't seem to be paying many of them off so not sure whether this is actual cash flow out of the club or just a negative effect on the accounts.

Fri May 11, 2012 7:04 pm

We turnover around £18-20m per year.

Unfortunatley we have some players on incredable wages, apparently Miller is on 25k p/w = £1.3m p/a. So Miller's wages alone account for 7% of our total annual income!

Even Dave Jones accounted for 4.5% of our total turnover whilst on gardening leave before getting a job at Sheffield Weds. So when you add up the rest of the wages of a 20+ man squad it doesn't take long to work out that we are living well beyond our means.

Fri May 11, 2012 7:48 pm

But we don't really have any superstars in the squad this season, barring whitts who under the right management would make a premier regular, our wage bill should'nt be to dissimilar to other championship clubs. I'm guessing some our players are still on riddler contracts. :roll:
Other than merchandise, I think all other income streams aren't really ours. I've said it before and I'll say it again, regarding compass, if we boycott the overpriced piss poor beer then maybe the club could negotiate to buy back the contract, improve the quality, lower the price just a little back to real life prices and there's another source of income.