Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Money money money

Fri May 11, 2012 10:33 am

Lets face it, it is all about the cash after all.

So the £100 million is all divvied up and put towards whatever ie training ground, debts, playing squad. We sell an extra few strips in Malaysia too so thats good.

After this, what happens? Where does all this change bring in the extra £1.2 million a month that keeps the club going? In time surely it will revert to the same problems as we keep being told there is not enough income, so where does this new income stream appear from that will bridge the gap? The transfer kitty cannot guarantee promotion, so if the Premier League isn't delivered at first time of asking then what happens?

Maybe i'm missing something, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Oh, and if you have nothing to bring to the discussion thrn please don't reply, serious answers only.

Re: Money money money

Fri May 11, 2012 11:03 am

If the cash comes it will makes us more secure, if not and o new investment then who knows...

Fri May 11, 2012 11:03 am

Nobody has any ideas yet?

Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 am

nelson wrote:If the cash comes it will makes us more secure, if not and o new investment then who knows...

Good timing!

The cash coming in is all earmarked apparently, so we can't rely on that in 12 months time. There isno guarantees(that i am aware of) of fresh investment.

When the cash dries up and the Asian market gas the choice of EPL Man Utd or Championship Cardiff City, what are they going to choose?

Fri May 11, 2012 11:07 am

As far as I know, the 1.2 million a month that keeps the club going is debt that is paid directly out of TG/VT's pockets. The rebranding of red and dragon will appeal more to the asian market and will allow them to make their money back on the investment (100m) as well as some profit. With the 100mil investment, it is my understanding that the clubs debt will be wiped clean and there would no longer be the 1.2m a month fee to pay.

Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 am

frosty_x wrote:As far as I know, the 1.2 million a month that keeps the club going is debt that is paid directly out of TG/VT's pockets. The rebranding of red and dragon will appeal more to the asian market and will allow them to make their money back on the investment (100m) as well as some profit. With the 100mil investment, it is my understanding that the clubs debt will be wiped clean and there would no longer be the 1.2m a month fee to pay.

First of all there is no way in hell we will make 100m back in shirt sales in the asian market and profit. They dont care what colour it is its the name of the sodding team

Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am

frosty_x wrote:As far as I know, the 1.2 million a month that keeps the club going is debt that is paid directly out of TG/VT's pockets. The rebranding of red and dragon will appeal more to the asian market and will allow them to make their money back on the investment (100m) as well as some profit. With the 100mil investment, it is my understanding that the clubs debt will be wiped clean and there would no longer be the 1.2m a month fee to pay.

What if it doesn't appeal? Surely without promotion then it is only a matter of time until the debt builds back up again without new income streams?

Fri May 11, 2012 11:15 am

PtB wrote:Lets face it, it is all about the cash after all.

So the £100 million is all divvied up and put towards whatever ie training ground, debts, playing squad. We sell an extra few strips in Malaysia too so thats good.

After this, what happens? Where does all this change bring in the extra £1.2 million a month that keeps the club going? In time surely it will revert to the same problems as we keep being told there is not enough income, so where does this new income stream appear from that will bridge the gap? The transfer kitty cannot guarantee promotion, so if the Premier League isn't delivered at first time of asking then what happens?

Maybe i'm missing something, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Oh, and if you have nothing to bring to the discussion thrn please don't reply, serious answers only.

Big Money can guarantee promotion, But it didnt do any harm to Reading ,they spent big last summer ,and Westham Put alot into there squad now there in the final of the play off. and sanits spent alot to get into the championship, they got there ,now there up again. No you cant guarante the prem, but when you spend with a good manager you have one hell of a good chance.

Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 am

All i will say is that in according to TOBW julian jenkins said that deals had been agreed to sell cardiff shirts in 350 outlets across malaysia. You may ask whether this would work or not but this man didnt become a billionaire by being stupid.

Every year people say, if we dont make the premier league this year they'll walk but every year they have stayed

Fri May 11, 2012 11:17 am

welshcitydragon wrote:
PtB wrote:Lets face it, it is all about the cash after all.

Leicester spent big and are in the shit though. Is the club fucked if we don't go up next season?
What is the long term strategy? It's all well waving £100 million at us, but tell us what the plan is for the next 20 years +
Big Money can guarantee promotion, But it didnt do any harm to Reading ,they spent big last summer ,and Westham Put alot into there squad now there in the final of the play off. and sanits spent alot to get into the championship, they got there ,now there up again. No you cant guarante the prem, but when you spend with a good manager you have one hell of a good chance.

Fri May 11, 2012 11:27 am

The next 20 years ? VT was trying to secure that for us by getting us into the Asian market , dont you see that ? my god cant you see that ? .
If that happened Cardiff City would be secure for years & years to come, but if he walks away Cardiff City wouldnt servive for too long as all the people we owe money to would try to get there money back ASAP so they would be queing up to take us to court and the tax man with them.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Nobody can guarantee we'll break the Asian market though, it's all if's buts and maybes which isn't good enough.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Surely our monthly wage bill will decrease wont it?

Fri May 11, 2012 2:22 pm

LutonBluebird wrote:Surely our monthly wage bill will decrease wont it?

Most likely to go up if we're soending millions of pounds on players. The more you spend the dearer they tend to be.

Fri May 11, 2012 6:52 pm

PtB wrote:Where does all this change bring in the extra £1.2 million a month that keeps the club going? In time surely it will revert to the same problems as we keep being told there is not enough income, so where does this new income stream appear from that will bridge the gap?

They're proposing to boost the stadium capacity to 35,000 for one thing, and money is also to be spent on new players.

Get promotion to the Premier League and that £1.2million monthly shortfall is soon disappears.

Fri May 11, 2012 6:59 pm

The interest on our debts obviously wouldn't be there anymore but the whole plan still has a bit of the Ridsdale about it. If we get promoted to the premiership then all should be fine, we fill the bigger stadium, have tv money coming in and the asia market is very open to clubs in the premiership. If we don't get promoted then we have a half full stadium, excellent training facilities but would need to cut £12m off the annual wage bill to break even. Either that or Malky does his magic buying young future stars and selling them off when they mature so we can make money in the transfer market, effectively becoming a selling club trying to make 5m to 10m each year.

We could be in as good a position as Wolves or West Brom in 5 to 10 years.

Fri May 11, 2012 7:06 pm

PtB wrote:

What if it doesn't appeal? Surely without promotion then it is only a matter of time until the debt builds back up again without new income streams?

dont forget if this goes as planned the debt is VTs as he is turning the money hes put in is going to be equity which means hes carrying the burden of debt himself! so doesnt plan to fail obviously! :ayatollah:

Fri May 11, 2012 7:08 pm

factgasm wrote:
PtB wrote:Where does all this change bring in the extra £1.2 million a month that keeps the club going? In time surely it will revert to the same problems as we keep being told there is not enough income, so where does this new income stream appear from that will bridge the gap?

They're proposing to boost the stadium capacity to 35,000 for one thing, and money is also to be spent on new players.

Get promotion to the Premier League and that £1.2million monthly shortfall is soon disappears.

Again, no guarantee of filling those seats and certainly no guarantees on promotion.

Fri May 11, 2012 7:09 pm

bspark wrote:The interest on our debts obviously wouldn't be there anymore but the whole plan still has a bit of the Ridsdale about it. If we get promoted to the premiership then all should be fine, we fill the bigger stadium, have tv money coming in and the asia market is very open to clubs in the premiership. If we don't get promoted then we have a half full stadium, excellent training facilities but would need to cut £12m off the annual wage bill to break even. Either that or Malky does his magic buying young future stars and selling them off when they mature so we can make money in the transfer market, effectively becoming a selling club trying to make 5m to 10m each year.

We could be in as good a position as Wolves or West Brom in 5 to 10 years.

Or we could be in a position like Portsmouth.

Fri May 11, 2012 7:10 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
PtB wrote:

dont forget if this goes as planned the debt is VTs as he is turning the money hes put in is going to be equity which means hes carrying the burden of debt himself! so doesnt plan to fail obviously! :ayatollah:

Outwith the investment figure it becomes a company(club) debt.

I'm all for change and progression, but it has to be correct. Some things don't add up for me.

Fri May 11, 2012 7:12 pm

I would feel happier knowing they put an extra £100mill in, as long as its investment and not a debt.. Only because it would deffo mean they are giving us that extra push, rather than do nothing like in January.
I know they have already put millions in but 40mill is easier to walk away from than £140mill, or is the £40mill already put in included in the £100mill????

Anyway what happens happens we just have to hope for the best...

Fri May 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Miller time wrote:I would feel happier knowing they put an extra £100mill in, as long as its investment and not a debt.. Only because it would deffo mean they are giving us that extra push, rather than do nothing like in January.
I know they have already put millions in but 40mill is easier to walk away from than £140mill, or is the £40mill already put in included in the £100mill????

Anyway what happens happens we just have to hope for the best...

The new money is £60m and they are converting the £40m from debt to equity to give the £100m total

Fri May 11, 2012 7:41 pm

i honestly can't see the plans working, i've been travelling back and though to asia regularly for the last 16 years, been to malaysia , thailand singapore and hong kong to many countless times and i can't see why mr tan things his plans will only work if we change to red, it's obviously a chinese belief not a malay one vt and tg are ethnic chinese, but asians follow the top sides , if man city win the prem for the next 3 years you will see man city tops all over asia they don't give a shit what colour a team wears, the most succesful club of all time are real madrid and they wear white they wear their tops too, cardiff city will never be a liverpool or a man utd we ain't going to sell shirts all over the world ,it won't happen and then what happens

Fri May 11, 2012 7:56 pm

No business has guarantees all over it or we'd all be wealthy.
The owners are simply doing what they think is their best chance of turning the club into a going concern.
They may be right and they may be wrong but they've been massively successful in other businesses so its worth a shot don't you think? Or do you have a better idea? Maybe spend a load more money on the best players? Again, no guarantees there ... Red shirts is a cheaper option and they think they can sell that concept to Asia. Can you prove they won't?

Fri May 11, 2012 8:07 pm

no i can't prove anything, can you prove they will ? we are talking about rebranding a football club not something you can buy off a shelf just my opinion i don't think it will work

Fri May 11, 2012 8:33 pm

the blue path wrote:no i can't prove anything, can you prove they will ? we are talking about rebranding a football club not something you can buy off a shelf just my opinion i don't think it will work

Ok, I was responding to your "cant see the plans working", I didnt realise it was just pure speculation on your part.