Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" ECHO REPORTER GARETH ROGERS HAS HIS SAY ON EVENTS "

Fri May 11, 2012 7:15 am

Victory for Cardiff City fans but let's applaud our owners' imagination
by Gareth Rogers, WalesOnlineMay 10 2012

Cardiff City fan/Echo Reporter Gareth Rogers has his say on events at Cardiff City.

A victory for Cardiff City’s loyal fans tastes sweet but today I applaud the owners’ imagination

We’re staying blue for the time being and we will continue to trade as our beloved Bluebirds in next season’s Championship.

But let’s not be to smug and let’s certainly not blame our Malyasian overlords for flying ideas to improve the club.

As this story has gained momentum, although staunchly opposed to any name, colour or badge change, I insisted that we needed the full facts from messers Tan and Chan and had to give them the opportunity to engage in negotiations.

As it happens, we didn’t have to wait long for the negotiations to be commenced and completed and I would like to personally thank the owner and chairman for taking the fans’ views on board and acting so swiftly.

With our identity safe, hopefully we will see Wembley decked out in blue and white many more times in our history and, if so, the hierarchy will deserve all the plaudits and financial gains that will come their way.

Despite being no economist, I insist superstition and hunches should play no part in business decisions but building on historic brand image and values as well as tapping into a proven customer base should be central to future progress.

And I urge you Mr Tan to continue to invest in our club and find out how much money can be made from a successful Premier League club in Cardiff. The passion and support you have seen for this club’s history will hopefully make you see just what can be mobilised here in South Wales. What is more, we will listen to your suggestions and if we are convinced they will improve the club, we will support you to the hilt.

If you were one of the fans so desperate for success that you were willing to allow these changes, trust me, we can have it all. We can compete among Europe’s elite, as the Bluebirds – as our history proudly reveals.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1uXiloLeN

Re: " ECHO REPORTER GARETH ROGERS HAS HIS SAY ON EVENTS "

Fri May 11, 2012 7:33 am

All fine and good saying that.. Probably said by every city fan, BUT if no investment then we may well have had our time at wembley etc
Why would you keep investing all that money without more income streams coming in....

Fri May 11, 2012 7:55 am

Miller time wrote:All fine and good saying that.. Probably said by every city fan, BUT if no investment then we may well have had our time at wembley etc
Why would you keep investing all that money without more income streams coming in....

Why dont they explain in detail why red would mean more income streams than blue, other than the Journo says "Superstition and hunches".

Fri May 11, 2012 7:57 am

Miller time wrote:All fine and good saying that.. Probably said by every city fan, BUT if no investment then we may well have had our time at wembley etc

I`m sure that there are many avenues of compromise to be explored, that would keep the owners and fans happy..

Fri May 11, 2012 8:00 am

I know this lad and i like him, i think he's a good lad but i am astounded that he thinks THIS VICTORY TASTES SWEET! If any anybody truly thinks this tastes sweet you really need to have your head examined!

There have been a few times that i have worried about the future of this club but i always thought "ahh someine will take us over".

But this time i am 100% certain that if Vincent Tan doesn't have a change of heart, thats the end for us, and you can all wear your blue shirts to total network solutions for the welsh league decider

Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 am

thehumblegringo wrote:I know this lad and i like him, i think he's a good lad but i am astounded that he thinks THIS VICTORY TASTES SWEET! If any anybody truly thinks this tastes sweet you really need to have your head examined!

There have been a few times that i have worried about the future of this club but i always thought "ahh someine will take us over".

But this time i am 100% certain that if Vincent Tan doesn't have a change of heart, thats the end for us, and you can all wear your blue shirts to total network solutions for the welsh league decider

I was thinking exactly the same thing, tastes sweet, we may go out of business if they cease their current investment, and as for progress with additional investment,Duh!!!!!

Fri May 11, 2012 8:45 am

As a fan for 40 years, this not a victory for anyone the way it was leaked, the reaction, everything about the whole sorry affair, In the past 8 or so months no talk of creditors not being paid not talk of court injunctions or any financially problems coming to the fore, ( we could argue about the lack of investment in January transfer market) just the historical debt that we have with Langstone and PMG and if it was not for the message boards with the "insiders" we would not be hearing of any of this. The Malaysians have quietly gone about sorting this out behind the scenes.

I hope that I am wrong but knee jerks reactions by some of our fans (myself included i did not want to play in Red but was becoming resigned to it) heart ruling the head is not normally a victory for anyone, could see OUR CLUB implode. I am now wearing my RED away City top that I dug out. I feel worst now than I felt against Blackpool in the play off final.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Fri May 11, 2012 10:30 am

polo wrote:

Why dont they explain in detail why red would mean more income streams than blue, other than the Journo says "Superstition and hunches".

VT is a businessman of some renown on his continent. He will certainly employ the best marketing people available, these people will have advised him over time of the best business strategy to maximise income streams. The colour red is powerful in Asia, as is the Dragon. This is not a maybe it is the case, if you look up images of the orient they will often be depicted by a red dragon!

The business strategy being followed would certainly not just have been based around the sale of shirts but the vision of a brand that wealthy companies could relate to. This is where the real money could be made, corporate sponsorhip, stadium naming. international branding in a region where some of the wealthiest companies in the world are based. VT will have the ear of many of these and it is this I am sure where the main thrust of his business plan would be targeted.

If you look at the logo's of all the top companies do you think that they were chosen on a whim? No, they were strategically chosen to maximise exposure.

So Red and Dragon wont have been thought up off the cuff just because somebody likes it more than blue.

Fri May 11, 2012 11:07 am

Forever Blue wrote:Victory for Cardiff City fans but let's applaud our owners' imagination

Cardiff City fan/Echo Reporter Gareth Rogers has his say on events at Cardiff City.

A victory for Cardiff City’s loyal fans tastes sweet but today I applaud the owners’ imagination

We’re staying blue for the time being and we will continue to trade as our beloved Bluebirds in next season’s Championship.

But let’s not be to smug and let’s certainly not blame our Malyasian overlords for flying ideas to improve the club.

As this story has gained momentum, although staunchly opposed to any name, colour or badge change, I insisted that we needed the full facts from messers Tan and Chan and had to give them the opportunity to engage in negotiations.

As it happens, we didn’t have to wait long for the negotiations to be commenced and completed and I would like to personally thank the owner and chairman for taking the fans’ views on board and acting so swiftly.

With our identity safe, hopefully we will see Wembley decked out in blue and white many more times in our history and, if so, the hierarchy will deserve all the plaudits and financial gains that will come their way.

Despite being no economist, I insist superstition and hunches should play no part in business decisions but building on historic brand image and values as well as tapping into a proven customer base should be central to future progress.

And I urge you Mr Tan to continue to invest in our club and find out how much money can be made from a successful Premier League club in Cardiff. The passion and support you have seen for this club’s history will hopefully make you see just what can be mobilised here in South Wales. What is more, we will listen to your suggestions and if we are convinced they will improve the club, we will support you to the hilt.

If you were one of the fans so desperate for success that you were willing to allow these changes, trust me, we can have it all. We can compete among Europe’s elite, as the Bluebirds – as our history proudly reveals.

Has anyone had one of them sweet that tast real sweet till you get to the Middle, then its as soure as hell ? That is the sweet we are sucking now ! And as for , the next part , Quote And I urge you Mr Tan to continue to invest in our club unquote , Nice you urge him to keep putting 1mil in every month ,out of his own pocket ? What kind of Ass hole would say something like that ? only someone who has some kind of brain problem , or some one with no buisness mined at all.
VT is tring to take our club into the heart of Asia , that part of the world is booming while the rest of the world is going no where. WE ARE NOT GOING TO LOSE OUR HISTORY IF WE WEAR RED ! But we will do if the club is dead ! after a few years people will stop talking about the Bluebird who was. Remember football use to be talked about all the time in Pubs ,so that would keep it going. We dont even have Pubs now to keep that Talk going. I for one dont want to Wear Red , But I dont want to see my club dead, and thats what will happen if VT walks away. If we drop down and out of the championship ,so will our crowds we get every week. Then the money stops coming in so we can buy players or pay the ones we got. No if VT walks we have very dark day infront of us.

Fri May 11, 2012 12:48 pm

There are a lot of people who have suddenly changed their minds over the last few days and are now virtually suicidal, running around with their red Red tops and waving Malaysian flags at the thought of £100m being taken away from the club.

Well, I for one am still glad they've changed their plans and are keeping our colours and name. I said a few days ago that I'd rather support The Bluebirds in the Conference than The Dragons in the Premier League - and I'm not changing my mind.

Reading Carl's post from last night, it looks as if the £100m has already been reduced to £60m (as it includes the £40m VT has already ploughed in) - if we take off another £25m for Langstone / Sam then were down to £35m

How much would a stadium expansion and new training ground cost? (both are not needed at the moment)

Fri May 11, 2012 12:49 pm

There are a lot of people who have suddenly changed their minds over the last few days and are now virtually suicidal, running around with their red Red tops and waving Malaysian flags at the thought of £100m being taken away from the club.

Well, I for one am still glad they've changed their plans and are keeping our colours and name. I said a few days ago that I'd rather support The Bluebirds in the Conference than The Dragons in the Premier League - and I'm not changing my mind.

Reading Carl's post from last night, it looks as if the £100m has already been reduced to £60m (as it includes the £40m VT has already ploughed in) - if we take off another £25m for Langstone / Sam then were down to £35m

How much would a stadium expansion and new training ground cost? (both are not needed at the moment)

Fri May 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Rogers has his say, but how is he qualified to talk speak on such matters? Genuinely I don't know who he is.

Last night the South Wales Echo printed a front page of breathtakingly irresponsibilty guaranteed to unsettle our honoured Malaysian investors. The self-indulgent journo-w*nk "The Fight Back Begins" headline was the Taffia mutual-admiration society most mediocre masturbating over a controversy that could actually sink the club.

Fight Back? Fight Back? If there's any fighting back to be done it's against these pissed-up media has-beans, these self-serving influence peddlars who will still be in job whether the club is in the Champions League or the Arkwright's Corner Store Conference.

Why did the Echo act so irresponsbily towards the future of our City? What qualifications and experience do its staff have in finance and football, in marketing and management? Why couldn't they print something less inflammatory and more productive? God knows this city needs as much investment as it can get. Why scare it off?

By the way, if blue is Cardiff's colour then why the **ck is the Echo's banner printed in red?

Fri May 11, 2012 1:10 pm

HandyLegs wrote:Well, I for one am still glad they've changed their plans and are keeping our colours and name. I said a few days ago that I'd rather support The Bluebirds in the Conference than The Dragons in the Premier League - and I'm not changing my mind.

Then you are by definition a loser, loud and proud. If it's that kind of football you love go support Newport.

Fri May 11, 2012 1:20 pm

factgasm wrote:Rogers has his say, but how is he qualified to talk speak on such matters? Genuinely I don't know who he is.

?

Hes a journalist and Cardiff City fan.

Fri May 11, 2012 1:28 pm

polo wrote:
factgasm wrote:Rogers has his say, but how is he qualified to talk speak on such matters? Genuinely I don't know who he is.

?

Hes a journalist and Cardiff City fan.

Thanks, Sherlock.

Again, what qualifications and experience do the Echo's staff have in finance and football, in marketing and management?

For instance how many have run their own non-media related businesses? How many, say, have attended Cardiff Business School or similar instituion in order to pass comment on what the Malaysians are trying to achieve?

It's incredible. Truly incredible. Europe's economy is up shit creek, the Malaysians offer £100m and a few thugs scare them off? Unbelievable! Unbelievable!

No wonder certain parts of Cardiff city centre - in particular the station area - looks like God damned warzone!

What is the **ck is the matter with you people? Who do you think is going to come riding to your rescue? :evil:

Fri May 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Got to love the stereotyping :roll:

Anyone who opposed the changes is a thug now are they?

Fri May 11, 2012 1:57 pm

HandyLegs wrote:There are a lot of people who have suddenly changed their minds over the last few days and are now virtually suicidal, running around with their red Red tops and waving Malaysian flags at the thought of £100m being taken away from the club.

But the whole point of the negotiations are to cut don the amount paid to Sam substantially from the £25 million. He was willing to accept around £10 million not that long ago and I suspect they would be looking at a similar figure now.

That leaves £50 million. The stadium expansion figure being bandied around last year was around £10 million. Let us say that the training ground woiuld cost the same. that leaves £30 million.

Not that that would the transfer kitty but it leaves a bigger pot than you thought.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:27 pm

polo wrote:Got to love the stereotyping :roll:

Anyone who opposes the club moving forward should be regarded as such, yes.

And if you don't agree you can tell it to the adminstrators. :D

Innovation or adminstration, your choice.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:29 pm

factgasm wrote:

Keep my club and administration.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:48 pm

polo wrote:
factgasm wrote:

Keep my club and administration.

Here, here

Fri May 11, 2012 3:50 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:

Your right there,all 150 of them

Fri May 11, 2012 3:55 pm

BigGwynram wrote:

I was thinking exactly the same thing, tastes sweet, we may go out of business if they cease their current investment, and as for progress with additional investment,Duh!!!!!

We will go out of business now , no doubt about it in my mind

Fri May 11, 2012 3:58 pm

factgasm wrote:
HandyLegs wrote:Well, I for one am still glad they've changed their plans and are keeping our colours and name. I said a few days ago that I'd rather support The Bluebirds in the Conference than The Dragons in the Premier League - and I'm not changing my mind.

Then you are by definition a loser, loud and proud. If it's that kind of football you love go support Newport.

Am I also a loser as I'm also happy we've kept our identity?

Why should I support Newport, I'm from Cardiff, where the f**k are you from?

Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Its not all over yet
We need to negotiate with investers so they can maximise the financial side and we get the identity
A red shirt, blue strip, our bluebirds badge and a dragon embosed on the back.
Infact that would look awesome.
Just one possible compromise
Thats what business is all about, negotiation
Lets just hope that someone tells them that their ideas are not dead in the water, that us passionate fans are reasonable and fair and we wish to explore ideas together with them so that they can take our club forward.
Lets hope someone tells them this before they walk.
Better still start a poll on this and see how many fans agree on this compromise and take that to them

Fri May 11, 2012 5:14 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:

Your identity is so important to you you hide behind a pseudonym and your avatar is straight out of the Gestapo school of design. :lol:

Fri May 11, 2012 5:39 pm

factgasm wrote:
CF14-SE14 wrote:

Your identity is so important to you you hide behind a pseudonym and your avatar is straight out of the Gestapo school of design. :lol:

Quite a comedian :roll:
Relevance?

Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Victory for Cardiff City fans but let's applaud our owners' imagination

brilliant why didn"t you wait for the full facts before you started mentioning marches facebook campaigns and virtually disowning the malaysions, now we need an olive branch yhe size of a f*cking oak tree to try to get them to stay on board :evil:

Fri May 11, 2012 6:29 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:I know this lad and i like him, i think he's a good lad but i am astounded that he thinks THIS VICTORY TASTES SWEET! If any anybody truly thinks this tastes sweet you really need to have your head examined!

Agree with this view...............I read that article almost thinking that bloke had a typo error. Just doesnt read right, or feel right when you read it.

If that is exactly how he thinks though, he's missed the boat on what I'm feeling at the moment.