Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: WHAT A HOLLOW VICTORY

Fri May 11, 2012 9:46 am

Are we back to square one whereas the fans have been caught like rabbits in headlights driven by the powers to be, most seemed to be in that "rabbit" mode now, justifiably or not. We have to remember if it wernt for the Malaysians we'd be in serious shit alike maybe Pompey, I for one will be eternally grateful for that. However I just cannot for the life of me see how changing our colours and badge make any difference in marketing CCFC, the biggest marketed clubs in Malaysia are QPR & Man City. I cant help but to feel this change of CCFC identity is a smokescreen for something underlying with the clubs politics, we have to respect those for and those against views. At the end of the day we all follow the same thing, CCFC.

Lets just wait until Mondays meeting, not to go into it on our knees but stand as one with pride and respect each others views.

Fri May 11, 2012 9:47 am

Andy1927 wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:Andy, maybe Gwyn like me, feels he's done his time and earned his stripes at lower league level on wet tuesday nights with barely enough people huddled together to keep warm.

I'm sorry Craig, I didn't know there was anything to be earned.... and I would quite happily stand watching the City again on a wet Tuesday night, just as I was back in the eighties huddled together with a few others on the Bob Bank with the snow lashing down, whilst we could only achieve a draw against Port Talbot in the Welsh Cup.... Following City for me anyway, is about a love of THE CITY, not a means to an end to finally be able to get to some Holy Premier League.....

The point is in the 70s 80s and 90s the clun didn't have the debt we got now, i agree standing on the bob bank watching Cardiff in the old days, they were great days but they have gone the game has moved on. We now got a 26k seated stadium, life moves on if you stand still in business you are swept under the carpet, that's how it is

Fri May 11, 2012 9:48 am

Martyn1963 wrote:Football is more than just a game to some people , its their life . Overseas owners just dont get it Im afraid ..... can you ever imagine Newcastle not playing in black n white at home or indeed Celtic never wearing green again ??? Yes Im all for investment but why change history in order to do it this time :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

How do you change history Mart?

And how do you feel about the time we changed to the blue shirts from the purple and brown?

Also how many club badges have you witnessed?

Fri May 11, 2012 9:48 am

CraigCCFC wrote:
Andy1927 wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:
Andy1927 wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:Andy, maybe Gwyn like me, feels he's done his time and earned his stripes at lower league level on wet tuesday nights with barely enough people huddled together to keep warm.

I'm sorry Craig, I didn't know there was anything to be earned.... and I would quite happily stand watching the City again on a wet Tuesday night, just as I was back in the eighties huddled together with a few others on the Bob Bank with the snow lashing down, whilst we could only achieve a draw against Port Talbot in the Welsh Cup.... Following City for me anyway, is about a love of THE CITY, not a means to an end to finally be able to get to some Holy Premier League.....

then why are you so against changing colour if your about following the city, that will always be there.

My point is, ive done the shit trips, ive done 75 away grounds......once, just once before its too late i would like to see CCFC playing at the big boys table

I'm not opposed to a colour change, I'm opposed to the removal of the Bluebird..... and I also think some form of consultation would have been nice as nobody likes to be walked all over and told what they MUST do and put up with, especially when, like you, me and Gwyn, we have spent thousands of our hard earned pounds over the years on the club.... A little consideration goes a long way in my eyes, and that's all I would have liked... and the Bluebird to remain of course.... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

There were plans in place to have the options discussed but the idiot who leaked it blew that out the water and a very hastily plan to get a meeting done with "fans leaders" so to speak was arranged, now everything is simmering down im sure the truth will come out. :ayatollah:

Let's hope so, because no matter what our opinions were over the past few days, I'm sure we all shared one joint one, and that is a love for the City.... I just hope this row hasn't divided us all too much now and that bridges can be repaired.... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 11, 2012 9:49 am

the thing that makes me laugh is the people on here shouting to keep the kit blue never wear one!
there have been posts in the past saying they would never wear a kit,

how many people will say "i was one of the fans who caused that" when explasining to the grandkids why we dont have a local team.

Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 am

rob wrote:the thing that makes me laugh is the people on here shouting to keep the kit blue never wear one!

how many people will say "i was one of the fans who caused that" when explasining to the grandkids why we dont have a local team.

You might be saying the same in the future rob to your grandkids once they have taken everything we all know away, whats left local about it then rob ???

Fri May 11, 2012 9:59 am

rob wrote:the thing that makes me laugh is the people on here shouting to keep the kit blue never wear one!

Good post.

Another irony is the fact that only 2 years ago we were all being urged to buy those Newport County lookalike scraf's as a protest against Ridsdale's running of the club.

The scraf's were supposed to represent our original colours before we changed our name (yes it has happened before) from Riverside to Cardiff City.

So we were happy to wear different colours then (to destroy something) but won't entertain it now so that we can build something.

That is honestly nuts.

Fri May 11, 2012 10:02 am

bluebird1977 wrote:

You might be saying the same in the future rob to your grandkids once they have taken everything we all know away, whats left local about it then rob ???

local means close mate, whatever colour the team plays in the history will be the same.

Fri May 11, 2012 10:41 pm

BigGwynram wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:SOOOOOOOOOO frustrated, people still don't get it. I have said from the start and been shot down by many on both message boards and at both of the recent meetings I attended.

This man VT has put 40 million pounds into the club, as Julian Jenkins said, he could have walked into the office or simply sent an e mail saying the club are playing in red next year end of,
No what he did say was there was a real justification in his eyes that using red as the main shirt colour would help move us forward help us to grow especially in the far East regions. he didn't need to justify why he wanted this to happen, but he did, and to help with this colour change he promised to invest 100 million pound as equity, not a loan. The club would have been debt free and progressive.
Yet at the first meeting this week we had, .and even still tonight we have people talking about compromise and consultation. They are offended that this multi Billionaire business man with thousands of employees and business interest all around the world was not prepared to come and meet certain fans groups on a regular basis to consult them and run things by them.

Me personally and perhaps I’m just a Cardiff City whore, I am just grateful for what they have done to save us and what they were prepared to do to support us and move us forward.
Consultation, compromise, sorry, I would be happy to wear a suit of pink armour with Malaysian flags as our badge. Honour our history and our heritage, yeh Ok, we won a cup once, mind you we had a dragon then as our Club badge, but hey don’t let fact or detail get in the way.
Our history will always be there, no one was taking our history away, they were just trying to give us a future. How would people feel if our history and our future end next month because we have no investment?

Well some of our fans have proven their point and we have kept the Blue shirt, don’t know how long we can wear it for or where we can wear it, may be the Welsh League or even the Tool station league with Merthyr, but at least we’ll be in blue.
None of the fans in the meeting were happy to change the shirt colour to Red, I’m sure the management and directors and staff at the club weren’t happy. But a lot of us were prepared to accept it if that was the price to pay for the 100 million pound investment.
Others wanted to march, protest and organise petitions.
Well it looks like you wont need to now because the damage is done and the message as got through to them loud and clear.
If we have a future, at least it’s blue, a battle some feel they have won, but at what price.

Gwyn there is no hollow victory here. The Malaysians tried to bring in changes behind our backs without consultation and it was leaked. Once this plan was unearthed, then and only then were they forced into holding emergency talks with us.During these talks they tried to bully us into submission but were not expecting the backlash and depth of feeling from a vast number of our supporters. Some of the fans leaders like yourself beleived that they would walk away if we opposed them and they have not. Others believed that we should at least show them the extent of our depth of feeling and this done through petitions and proposed meetings. Our strength of feeling has now been recognised and these plans have been halted. We must now take the opportunity to have proper discussion with our owners and both sides should move forward in the best interests of our club.

Gwyn I think that your reply merits a full line by line response.
You just don,t get it do you.How the hell have they tried to bully us into submission, absolute bollox.
Not bollox at all. They have totally excluded us from their plans and by your own admission will walk away if we oppose them. If thats not the actions of a dictator or a bully then I don't know what is but more of a worry is the fact that you seem to condone this type of action.
And who the hell are you to tell them they should consult with us and have proper discussion with us,
I am realistic enough not to expect the Malaysians to consult us on every business decision they make but I would expect them to consult me on changes which affect me personally and the way I support the club.
"our" strength of feeling, surely you must mean your strength of feeling, have you done a straw poll of every city fan?
The word "our" refers to all the fans who have strong feelings against what was being proposed which has now been recognised in the statement that the Malaysians have made.
These people own the club,why do they have to consult with us, how many of his massively succesful business's run on a "you must ask our permission first approach.
Granted but they have a responsibility to consult on such issues and they must also remember that although football clubs are businesses, they also are slightly different because they carry a certain emotional attachment which sometimes borders on religion for some and is steeped in history and tradition.
And as for "we now must take the opportunity to move forward", are you stupid, without this mans good will we may even cease to exist and you see this as an opportunity to move forward.
Call me names by all means Gwyn as this is not really being helpful and highlights the need to draw a line under this issue regardless of what side of the line you stand. What is now needed is to enter into open discussions with our owners where all stakeholders are fully consulted.
Are you sure you weren't one of the people at the meeting who were so far up their own arse thinking he should be seeking their approval before doing anything.
Again Gwyn name calling because of an opposing opinion says more about you than me

Fri May 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Andy1927 wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:
Andy1927 wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:
wkdblue wrote:Gwyn, you said..
These people own the club, why do they have to consult with us

The answer to that is because we are customers, we buy the Cardiff City product by paying to go through the turnstiles..A good business man will always keep his customers happy..

The PR at Cardiff are shocking, They could have got the changes they desire by using a clever bit of PR, and asked the fans for their backing.
Lets hope they stick around, and learn from their mistakes.

They don't have to consult with us, they have to produce a product that will sell, whether it be a meal, a car, or a suit of clothes. If they do this well they will grow the business, if people don't come or don't buy the product then they fail.
Yes they need to do market research to a degree, but they stand or fall by their decisions.

You call us idiots Gwyn, but how you can honestly compare a football club to a business beggars belief..... Cardiff City is not M&S, Currys or Tescos(other stores are available :lol: ), and a large percentage of clubs run at a loss or at the very best just about break even. Owning a football club seems to me to be, for the majority of chairmen, about the love of the game or even a personal love for the club they own, and if the Malaysians wanted to get into something to make a massive profit then maybe they should have thought about investing in Peacocks instead of us. Football clubs are owned by the fans, even if only figuratively speaking.... they are the life blood of any club and spend massive percentages of their annual income to follow their clubs, so for the Malaysians to not have the decency to at least consult us over the decision to do away with a massive part of the clubs history was nothing short of callous and underhanded..... and the leak raises the question, when would we have been told? Would the first we knew about it be when we saw the team running out in their new colours and badges?.....

Yes I apologise, we are not a business, do you think you could be present at the negotiations when we try to sign any new players and explain we can only offer them £7.0 an hour because we aren't a business, we are a football club, hope this catches on, I can see it being very succesful, hang on is that Rooney ringing the club now to set up a deal. :lol: :lol:

I would have never taken you for a Glory Hunter Gwyn, and I mean that sincerely.... Can you honestly say you didn't enjoy watching City just as much through the 70's and 80's when we didn't have two pennies to rub together and were basically giving players boot money?...... Football clubs are the heart and souls of communities, and in South Wales that often means poor and deprived communities, and getting to the game on a weekend was often their only means of having a brief release from this. It didn't matter how successful, or not, your club was, it was about being able to get together with a load of mates on a Saturday, enjoy a pie and a pint, and cheer on your local club... but if all you now care about is being able to sign the likes of Rooney and co. then obviously we now have very differing opinions of what Cardiff City means to us.....

Haven't had that much glory in the 46 years I've been watching them, and hoping for investment to keep us progressing is hardly glory hunting as far as I'm concerned.