Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Those who opposed the changes haven't killed our club!

Thu May 10, 2012 9:13 pm

They have saved part of our identity! I am proud to be one of the fans who opposed the changes and now the Malaysians have agreed to keep our Bluebird and start further discussions and plans. The amount of abuse we are taking for potentially "killing" our club is so over the top at the moment. The Malaysians are still with us and I would like to thank them for listening to those who were against the changes. Hopefully we can now sort out a compromise which will satisfy everyone. Well done to everyone who stood up to these changes and well done to the Malaysians for listening and respecting our wishes. I'm positive the Malaysians aren't bad people and are doing everything they can for us. They have taken unreasonable abuse, including pathetic racist comments. Our differing opinions on this forum have split us but now is the time to support our owners. I thank them for not going ahead with the changes, this shows they do care about us fans and I will back them with any future plans they have, as long as they don't drastically change our identity! :ayatollah:

Re: Those who opposed the changes haven't killed our club!

Thu May 10, 2012 9:16 pm

here,here. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CCFC

Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Good post mate :ayatollah:

Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Well said.... It was never a personal issue with regards the Malaysians, just one of wanting to maintain a massive part of our history....

Thu May 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Good shout. Us fans with a backbone will need to be recognised when this is all over :ayatollah:

Thu May 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:They have saved part of our identity! I am proud to be one of the fans who opposed the changes and now the Malaysians have agreed to keep our Bluebird and start further discussions and plans. The amount of abuse we are taking for potentially "killing" our club is so over the top at the moment. The Malaysians are still with us and I would like to thank them for listening to those who were against the changes. Hopefully we can now sort out a compromise which will satisfy everyone. Well done to everyone who stood up to these changes and well done to the Malaysians for listening and respecting our wishes. I'm positive the Malaysians aren't bad people and are doing everything they can for us. They have taken unreasonable abuse, including pathetic racist comments. Our differing opinions on this forum have split us but now is the time to support our owners. I thank them for not going ahead with the changes, this shows they do care about us fans and I will back them with any future plans they have, as long as they don't drastically change our identity! :ayatollah:

Good post , I didn't want the change and still don't but agree with u matey :ayatollah:

Thu May 10, 2012 9:30 pm

:arrow: remember this post when we are facing closure :shock: ;) :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Time will tell in this matter, I don't think racist abuse on a public forum is very constructive at all and there was a fair bit of it doing the rounds, it's a matter of respect and I would suspect that the Malaysians were taken aback when hearing or reading these comments, there are people on here who engage mouth before engaging brain unfortunately, arguments and debates should be conducted without racist comments being hurled at people who don't deserve it. The Malaysians would probably have been quite receptive to constructive suggestions regarding kit and badge etc, but once people arguing on one side start name calling then you've lost respect straight away.

Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 pm

I agree. It's the racist abusive assholes we need to worry about.

Thu May 10, 2012 9:55 pm

:ayatollah:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:They have saved part of our identity! I am proud to be one of the fans who opposed the changes and now the Malaysians have agreed to keep our Bluebird and start further discussions and plans. The amount of abuse we are taking for potentially "killing" our club is so over the top at the moment. The Malaysians are still with us and I would like to thank them for listening to those who were against the changes. Hopefully we can now sort out a compromise which will satisfy everyone. Well done to everyone who stood up to these changes and well done to the Malaysians for listening and respecting our wishes. I'm positive the Malaysians aren't bad people and are doing everything they can for us. They have taken unreasonable abuse, including pathetic racist comments. Our differing opinions on this forum have split us but now is the time to support our owners. I thank them for not going ahead with the changes, this shows they do care about us fans and I will back them with any future plans they have, as long as they don't drastically change our identity! :ayatollah:

Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 pm

As they just said on the news, we had won the lottery and then realised we had lost the ticket. The only thing I would disagree with is we didn't lose it, more ripped it up and threw it away. This week will o down in history as the missed opportunity of a lifetime. I'll be happy to eat my words and pray that will be the case.

Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:As they just said on the news, we had won the lottery and then realised we had lost the ticket. The only thing I would disagree with is we didn't lose it, more ripped it up and threw it away. This week will o down in history as the missed opportunity of a lifetime. I'll be happy to eat my words and pray that will be the case.

Well spoken my friend, seems like we were ready to step a few rungs up the ladder until some people kicked it from under us, looks like possibly we could start heading down the ladder now or worse still fall off the bloody thing altogether, great times ahead seemed like it could become reality but now who knows what?

Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 pm

That just about sums it up mate. :ayatollah:

Thu May 10, 2012 10:31 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:As they just said on the news, we had won the lottery and then realised we had lost the ticket. The only thing I would disagree with is we didn't lose it, more ripped it up and threw it away. This week will o down in history as the missed opportunity of a lifetime. I'll be happy to eat my words and pray that will be the case.

Well spoken my friend, seems like we were ready to step a few rungs up the ladder until some people kicked it from under us, looks like possibly we could start heading down the ladder now or worse still fall off the bloody thing altogether, great times ahead seemed like it could become reality but now who knows what?

Let's just hope those who have the chance to contact those that matter at the club can do some storming PR work and pull this out of the fire. I'm all for compromise if need be but let's at least act like adults and talk it through. The initial reaction by many of our so called fans makes me ashamed but also infuriated that the attitude seems to have been that they represented all of us. Next week will be literally make or break

Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 am

What do we want as supporters of the Bluebirds? I have no mandate to speak for the majority but I would guess that a majority want to enjoy two or so hours a week watching high quality players play high quality football with results that go the right way for our team. Ideally we want to this to happen in a nice stadium with good facilities. We also want to be proud of our team and feel a bond and loyalty with it. We want to be part of a big crowd and feel special about our 'tribe' and city.
For all of that, on average 20,000 people paying £500 per season generate £10m to contribute to that dream. Add on another £2m for miscellaneous merchandise sales and the club can generate £12m per year.
Then we have sponsors ... contrary to popular belief not all cash paying and certainly not hundreds of thousands of pounds. That might at a push generate an extra £2m. Our total is now £14m.
What does it cost to support this dream. Kevin Nolan earns £50k per week, his colleague Noble earns £35k per week. Let’s assume that Bluebirds players average £15k per week for 36 weeks of the year. Total player payroll bill for 25 players is £13.5m. At this point we have £500,000 left and have not paid a single member of the coaching team, backroom staff, administration staff, match-day staff. We haven’t paid any fees, licenses, rent, grounds maintenance, insurance, agents etc, etc, etc. We haven’t paid any travel costs to get to the players to any games.
The simple economics is that the Club in its current form is not economically viable. But here’s the thing ... some guy has bailed the club out over the last two years injecting a lump sum and monthly amounts of £1m to a total value of £20m. This money has principally funded the weekly dream of twenty odd thousand people because their collective £10m season ticket money is not enough.
So what does this guy want in return? Ideally, he wants a feel good factor to ... the feel good factor of owning a football club because he can. If possible, he’d like to make some money ... a little profit.
How does he make this profit? Creating a brand that the Asian market and in particular the Malaysians are happy to buy into in terms of TV rights to Premiership Football, merchandising etc. Is this wrong for the Cardiff fans? No, it isn’t stopping them from getting what we defined earlier ... we’re just sharing the love on a global basis. It actually has the impact of supporting a greater likelihood of Cardiff fans in Cardiff achieving their dream.
How should this brand be created? Well Vince, TG and Alan had a plan. Before they had a chance to engage with supporters groups they needed to get it clear. That did not happen. Some loud mouth blabbed. Probably because it made that person feel important. The horse has now bolted, the stable door is wide open and “mum” is definitely not the word. Most importantly, the silent majority kept a watching brief. The vocal minority got on their high horses and made snap uniformed emotional judgements. Many became abusive and threatening. Many bigoted, ill educated and mindless morons failed to understand that the man who had funded their team’s achievements ... Carling Cup and play-offs ... was offering to put TEN SEASONS WORTH OF TICKET REVENUE into the Club and deliver the strongest platform to build their dreams.
All he asked to do was change a kit colour and badge. Disrespecting the history of the club? Nonsense! Building a future for the club? Absolutely! It is possible to change for the future but still appreciate and recognise history and the journey to this point. Cardiff City’s first ever strip was a chocolate brown and gold checkered shirt!! How many of the big-mouth’s that have been bumping their proverbial gums in the past couple of days knew that?
The fact that a guy who was prepared to commit £100m to create a dream has been abused by the dreamers he was trying to satisfy and who pay about £500 per year is a little ironic. The so called ‘fan’ representatives who jumped on the band wagon and threatened protests, petitions etc are just small minded egotistical fools who claim to be defenders of the history but in reality, they have bitten the hand that was feeding them and will most definitely consign the club to history rather than working toward a future.
Sadly, the vocal minority have yet again spoiled the future for the silent majority. The petition was signed by a total of people representing less than 20% of season ticket holders. Therefore, 80% DID NOT SIGN THE PETITION!! What’s more, not all the signatories were season ticket holders!
Due to bigoted prejudice and lack of intelligence a small number of fans have failed to see the real opportunity. Vince, they don’t deserve your help, investment or support. Perhaps the fans of the Team down the road might appreciate and support it more!

Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 am

There is another way Mr Patronising. Don't live beyond our means.

I would rather be in the lower leagues and debt free than chasing a Premiership dream of avoiding relegation every season. In Premiership terms 100 million isn't that much money. I just see it as debt.

As for you thinking I should support Swansea for not being an arse-licking glory hunter - that's your issue. Unfortunately for you, those of us who were here when we were shit will always love CCFC regardless of our success on the pitch. If I wanted that above all else I would support Man United.

If we played in red and were rebranded the Dragons with Malaysian flags everywhere we would no longer be Cardiff City and I may as well become an Man city supporter.

Fri May 11, 2012 12:14 am

Horace wrote:What do we want as supporters of the Bluebirds? I have no mandate to speak for the majority but I would guess that a majority want to enjoy two or so hours a week watching high quality players play high quality football with results that go the right way for our team. Ideally we want to this to happen in a nice stadium with good facilities. We also want to be proud of our team and feel a bond and loyalty with it. We want to be part of a big crowd and feel special about our 'tribe' and city.
For all of that, on average 20,000 people paying £500 per season generate £10m to contribute to that dream. Add on another £2m for miscellaneous merchandise sales and the club can generate £12m per year.
Then we have sponsors ... contrary to popular belief not all cash paying and certainly not hundreds of thousands of pounds. That might at a push generate an extra £2m. Our total is now £14m.
What does it cost to support this dream. Kevin Nolan earns £50k per week, his colleague Noble earns £35k per week. Let’s assume that Bluebirds players average £15k per week for 36 weeks of the year. Total player payroll bill for 25 players is £13.5m. At this point we have £500,000 left and have not paid a single member of the coaching team, backroom staff, administration staff, match-day staff. We haven’t paid any fees, licenses, rent, grounds maintenance, insurance, agents etc, etc, etc. We haven’t paid any travel costs to get to the players to any games.
The simple economics is that the Club in its current form is not economically viable. But here’s the thing ... some guy has bailed the club out over the last two years injecting a lump sum and monthly amounts of £1m to a total value of £20m. This money has principally funded the weekly dream of twenty odd thousand people because their collective £10m season ticket money is not enough.
So what does this guy want in return? Ideally, he wants a feel good factor to ... the feel good factor of owning a football club because he can. If possible, he’d like to make some money ... a little profit.
How does he make this profit? Creating a brand that the Asian market and in particular the Malaysians are happy to buy into in terms of TV rights to Premiership Football, merchandising etc. Is this wrong for the Cardiff fans? No, it isn’t stopping them from getting what we defined earlier ... we’re just sharing the love on a global basis. It actually has the impact of supporting a greater likelihood of Cardiff fans in Cardiff achieving their dream.
How should this brand be created? Well Vince, TG and Alan had a plan. Before they had a chance to engage with supporters groups they needed to get it clear. That did not happen. Some loud mouth blabbed. Probably because it made that person feel important. The horse has now bolted, the stable door is wide open and “mum” is definitely not the word. Most importantly, the silent majority kept a watching brief. The vocal minority got on their high horses and made snap uniformed emotional judgements. Many became abusive and threatening. Many bigoted, ill educated and mindless morons failed to understand that the man who had funded their team’s achievements ... Carling Cup and play-offs ... was offering to put TEN SEASONS WORTH OF TICKET REVENUE into the Club and deliver the strongest platform to build their dreams.
All he asked to do was change a kit colour and badge. Disrespecting the history of the club? Nonsense! Building a future for the club? Absolutely! It is possible to change for the future but still appreciate and recognise history and the journey to this point. Cardiff City’s first ever strip was a chocolate brown and gold checkered shirt!! How many of the big-mouth’s that have been bumping their proverbial gums in the past couple of days knew that?
The fact that a guy who was prepared to commit £100m to create a dream has been abused by the dreamers he was trying to satisfy and who pay about £500 per year is a little ironic. The so called ‘fan’ representatives who jumped on the band wagon and threatened protests, petitions etc are just small minded egotistical fools who claim to be defenders of the history but in reality, they have bitten the hand that was feeding them and will most definitely consign the club to history rather than working toward a future.
Sadly, the vocal minority have yet again spoiled the future for the silent majority. The petition was signed by a total of people representing less than 20% of season ticket holders. Therefore, 80% DID NOT SIGN THE PETITION!! What’s more, not all the signatories were season ticket holders!
Due to bigoted prejudice and lack of intelligence a small number of fans have failed to see the real opportunity. Vince, they don’t deserve your help, investment or support. Perhaps the fans of the Team down the road might appreciate and support it more!

Fantastic post I just tried doing summit along these lines but you have summed up my thoughts beautifully, unfortunately footballers wages are the massive problem within football no different from our club to the next and we as fans are seeing more and more business models adopted by owners to try and sustain the wages, I am 100% for the FairPlay rules as this will bring parity to lower league football and will teach clubs that u must earn to spend and football clubs will need to be run like businesses to succeed in promotion etc it's a shame others don't understand this more as all VT has tried to is start Cardiff city the BRAND going throughout Asia to bring in revenue to support better players who earn higher wages to realise the premier league dream, the successful clubs under these rules will exploit opportunity something we may have just missed and the ones that sink will overspend and face point deduction embargos fines and possible relegations and more worrying liquidation

Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 am

Fergy1927 wrote:There is another way Mr Patronising. Don't live beyond our means.

I would rather be in the lower leagues and debt free than chasing a Premiership dream of avoiding relegation every season. In Premiership terms 100 million isn't that much money. I just see it as debt.

As for you thinking I should support Swansea for not being an arse-licking glory hunter - that's your issue. Unfortunately for you, those of us who were here when we were shit will always love CCFC regardless of our success on the pitch. If I wanted that above all else I would support Man United.

If we played in red and were rebranded the Dragons with Malaysian flags everywhere we would no longer be Cardiff City and I may as well become an Man city supporter.

£100m in the Prem is not a lot of money. What VT was offering was not investment in players alone ... we can use the parachute payment for that. He was also talking about infrastructure and facilities that enable sustainability for the future of football in Cardiff.

I dont think you should "support Swansea for not being an arse-licking glory hunter" ... I was suggesting if the vision he has is too sophisticated for the minority of big-mouthed Cardiff fans who haven't paid attention then perhaps he may get a warmer reception elsewhere.

As for you not wishing to be rebranded with Malaysian flags everywhere you obviously haven't been to a home game recently or if you have your'e eyes were shut. The flags go all the way around the ground on the upper section.

Maybe you should become a Man City supporter ... you're no use to Cardiff City.

Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 am

I am no use to Cardiff City? Really mate. They found me useful when they were skint and I literally gave them money as did my family.

I have also paid them for tickets all of my life. You are very patronising. You sound like a moron. I have a masters degree and a dog called spot.

To me football is simple. Spend more than your income and you are in trouble. Our debt is not Tan's fault. I am glad he is willing to give us 100 million. However, I am not glad that he said he was going to change our colours and our club badge and nickname.

As for infrastructure and facilities, what is wrong with the size of our rarely filled stadium or our world class training facilities? Is the answer too sophisticated for me Rupert?

Fri May 11, 2012 12:49 am

Fergy1927 wrote:I am no use to Cardiff City? Really mate. They found me useful when they were skint and I literally gave them money as did my family.

I have also paid them for tickets all of my life. You are very patronising. You sound like a moron. I have a masters degree and a dog called spot.

To me football is simple. Spend more than your income and you are in trouble. Our debt is not Tan's fault. I am glad he is willing to give us 100 million. However, I am not glad that he said he was going to change our colours and our club badge and nickname.

As for infrastructure and facilities, what is wrong with the size of our rarely filled stadium or our world class training facilities? Is the answer too sophisticated for me Rupert?

Congrats on your Masters degree ... never would have guessed! Best regards to Spot ... does he support Man City? Maybe he should start posting as he's probably more sophisticated than you. Can he deliver more common sense and less emotion?

Rupert the Patronising Moron xx

Fri May 11, 2012 2:02 am

Horace wrote:We also want to be proud of our team and feel a bond and loyalty with it.

Horace wrote:All he asked to do was change a kit colour and badge.

^ That would have destroyed the bond some/many of us feel for the club.

Fri May 11, 2012 7:39 am

Horace wrote:
Fergy1927 wrote:I am no use to Cardiff City? Really mate. They found me useful when they were skint and I literally gave them money as did my family.

Congrats on your Masters degree ... never would have guessed! Best regards to Spot ... does he support Man City? Maybe he should start posting as he's probably more sophisticated than you. Can he deliver more common sense and less emotion?

Thanks, your mum said I was very sophisticated (sic).

Apologies for being emotional about someone threatening to change my football club into and weird red thing for East Asian hobbyists. Don't stand too close to a fire now lad, you might melt.

Fri May 11, 2012 9:09 am

Fully agree :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 11, 2012 10:38 am

I hope I'm wrong but fear the worse for the long term future of our club. I hope I'm wrong and will give all the people who opposed the change the credit they're due if the Malaysians stay, however i feel those that went over the top which includes quite a few posters on this site may have driven th efinal nail into our coffin. I will be posting a pretty sharp response to anyone on here that starts complaining near the start of the season that we haven't strengthened cos we wont have thats for certain.

Fri May 11, 2012 11:34 am

fao fergy get some details right firstly they said 35k stadium for 2013 2014 season as it was there intention to go all out for promotion to the premier our 26k stadium would not be big enough secondly if we had our own training facilities purpose built our acadamy would benifit from being with our first team the pitches at the vale are unusable in the bad weather and what do you know about the costs involved for us to use the vale finally we were once playing in brown and gold is that history lost no it aint we played in the fa cup final of 1927 and won it with a dragon as our badge is that bit of history lost ni it aint your obviosly a very emotional and strong minded supporter of cardiff city as are thousands of us but i believe debate is good name calling and personalisation is not the way forward :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 am

I understand the passion for preserving our history but ask any Portsmouth or Rangers fan if they would change colour and logo for 100 million in investment. I dread to think what would happen to us if we were to go down a division. Malky has shown he is a genius to achieve what he did this year with an ordinary yet very hard working group of players. However he is no miracle worker and needs an injection of flair and quality to compliment the basis of a good side he already has. Flair costs money and where is that going to come from now ? Mr Tan has been so respectful with his open letter to the fans and I really hope he doesnt walk away now. He may plough his money into a club that will treat him with the respect he deserves and will happily be rebranded. All blue chip companies evolve and rebrand to stay ahead of the game. Thankfully these companies are not run by football fans with no real grasp on finance and the real world.

I do hope im wrong but I think the fans of Cardiff City have just made a catastrophic error. Never mind if it all goes tits up and when our stadium is repossessed we can ground share with the Blues in the City Centre.

Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Fergy1927 wrote:
Horace wrote:

Thanks, your mum said I was very sophisticated (sic).

Apologies for being emotional about someone threatening to change my football club into and weird red thing for East Asian hobbyists. Don't stand too close to a fire now lad, you might melt.

Nice one Fergie! Insults and no constructive contributiuon. That seems to be the underlying problem with the general response of the minority ... you clearly fit in well. BTW, it's nice and warm by the fire :old:

Fri May 11, 2012 12:29 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:fao fergy get some details right firstly they said 35k stadium for 2013 2014 season as it was there intention to go all out for promotion to the premier our 26k stadium would not be big enough secondly if we had our own training facilities purpose built our acadamy would benifit from being with our first team the pitches at the vale are unusable in the bad weather and what do you know about the costs involved for us to use the vale finally we were once playing in brown and gold is that history lost no it aint we played in the fa cup final of 1927 and won it with a dragon as our badge is that bit of history lost ni it aint your obviosly a very emotional and strong minded supporter of cardiff city as are thousands of us but i believe debate is good name calling and personalisation is not the way forward :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thanks for adding a bit of common sense. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 11, 2012 12:33 pm

You have just made Cardiff City will now be a nothing Club yet again and hellow barren years . This will spend the end of the Malaysians investment , the end of any hope of spending Big in the Transfer market . I hope fans will be happy when we go into Admin , have to sell our players and be a nothing Club again ; Only the Malaysians wanted/did invested in us when we have a chance of going up to the Prem , no other's did , not the so called BlueBirds fans that for sure , , nobody and sure as hell no-one is going to invest in us when we slip down the league go in to Admin see our best players leave and the attendance sing with out a trace.

Nice one lads and hello the barren years . I hope to GOD you are happy

Fri May 11, 2012 3:57 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: