Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Malky Mackay has warning for Bluebirds "

Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 am

" Malky Mackay has warning for Bluebirds "

May 7 2012

CARDIFF CITY boss Malky Mackay has warned his side not to adopt a “gung-ho” approach as they attempt to mount what would be an extraordinary play-off semi-final comeback at West Ham today.

The Bluebirds find themselves with a mountain to climb in east London if they are to keep their Premier League dreams intact this season.

The Hammers have a 2-0 lead from Thursday’s first leg in the Welsh capital thanks to two goals from Wales international Jack Collison.

Mackay admits if Cardiff are to make the play-off final at Wembley they must score first at Upton Park, but he maintains there is no rush in the 4.30pm kick-off.

“We need to score, not necessarily early on, but we need to score first,” said Mackay.

“If we do that then we get a toehold back into the game again. We need to make sure that we are disciplined going into the game. We can’t have a tendency to go gung-ho from the first minute.

“People might want us to go for it from the off, but we need to make sure that we’re in the game.

“We know it’s going to be a stiff test, we understand that. But it’s still only half-time.

“We’ve got to go there and ease our way into the game, looking to nick the first goal, which could prove important. It’ll once again be down to who adapts best to the game and who takes their chances. On Thursday they did and we didn’t.”

The Bluebirds know they must go to Upton Park today and win there for only the third time in the club’s history if they are to have any hope of keeping their season alive.

Despite Kenny Miller scoring a late winner there on the opening day of the season, many have already written off the Bluebirds’ chances on the evidence of a one-sided first leg.

Mackay acknowledged his side are very much the underdogs, but insisted the Bluebirds are still in with a “fighter’s chance” of progressing to the final to face either Blackpool or Birmingham.

And he believes the 2-0 lead the Hammers hold could still prove a dangerous one for Sam Allardyce’s side.

“Most people may now expect West Ham to make it through to the final, that’s the natural reaction I suppose,” added Mackay.

“But myself and my team don’t subscribe to that, we go into this trying to win the game. We have 90 minutes to score twice and beyond that to win the game. Right now we have a fighter’s chance.

“Tactically we have to be aware of the result so far, but also looking at the fact that we need to score.

“I think if we do, then that can change the atmosphere and the mood of the game. And, as I said, straight after the last game, 2-0 can be a dangerous score if put under pressure.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1uAKoYSKk

Re: " Malky Mackay has warning for Bluebirds "

Mon May 07, 2012 7:26 am

May as well go for it and lose 6 than 4 5 1 and lose by 2

Mon May 07, 2012 10:06 am

NIBluebird wrote:May as well go for it and lose 6 than 4 5 1 and lose by 2

Defo..

4-5-1 is not an option, gamble and go for it I say.. :ayatollah:

Mon May 07, 2012 10:09 am

As usual we will play with 1 up front giving us no chance what so ever.

Mon May 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Roy wrote:

That'll be like surrendering. :(

Mon May 07, 2012 1:18 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:
Roy wrote:

Get used to it ive seen it in most games which leads to many many draws, hes was a defender and anyone can see we play defensive football then after that its a mix of hoofball and hope since the start of feb when we play with no width like most games. I really can not see how are manager can say lets be carefull when we are 2-0 down already you have to go for it with risks :roll: MM the manger who will be known as the boring 18yard line tactics man :twisted:
i would rather lose 5-0 at theres than sit on are own 18yard line hoofing it to there center halfs again. JESUS!!!!!

Mon May 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Once again we suffer season burnout.
If we don't invest in quality then we will never have a chance of going up to the Premiership. if Swansea can do it then so can we, it requires key summer signings to strength right throughout the team.

Come on Cardiff give us the prize.

Mon May 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Why is Miller so poor?
Why does the manager continue to play him?
Why does Ernie never get a look in?

Simple if your Scottish it doesn't matter how poor you play.

Mon May 07, 2012 5:01 pm

CARDIFF HAVE RUN OUT OF IDEAS.

NO INVENTION.

CHASING SHADOWS.

Mon May 07, 2012 6:09 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
Roy wrote:

Get used to it ive seen it in most games which leads to many many draws, hes was a defender and anyone can see we play defensive football then after that its a mix of hoofball and hope since the start of feb when we play with no width like most games. I really can not see how are manager can say lets be carefull when we are 2-0 down already you have to go for it with risks :roll: MM the manger who will be known as the boring 18yard line tactics man :twisted:
i would rather lose 5-0 at theres than sit on are own 18yard line hoofing it to there center halfs again. JESUS!!!!!

lOOKS LIKE I WAS RITE SAME SHIT AND SCORE PREDICTION ALTHOUGH WE DIDNT EVEN LOOK LIKE GOING FOR IT 5 SHOTS ON TARGET 180MINS OFF FOOTBALL :oops: